PDA

View Full Version : On the spot: Ten who must get it done in '06

the wonger need food
07-12-2006, 10:52 AM
Another yawner of an article, but hey, it has Davey's name in it and it's really slow around here. Enjoy...

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9550200

8. David Carr, QB, Houston: I know, I know, you get better protection from the lining of your college windbreaker than Carr does from the Texans' offensive line. Well, Houston drafted Charles Spencer and Eric Winston and made a pledge to Carr by paying him an $8 million roster bonus in February. Then the Texans hired former quarterback Gary Kubiak as their head coach. That means it's time Carr does something other than absorb another sack. Plenty of scouts and personnel directors still like him as a quarterback, believing he suffered because of the team's matador blocking. But when is he held accountable? Answer: Now.

bigbrewster2000
07-12-2006, 11:04 AM
Great.......I am soooooo happy to see another thread about Carr getting ready to go down the toilet:deadhorse I think the horse is even getting annoyed. That was a yawner of a story, but I think that is the perception from basically everyone around the league. We shall see........

ojthecat
07-12-2006, 11:12 AM
I still cant believe that we didnt trade david Carr to Tennesse then we could have had Vince Yound and then we could have traded Domminic Davis to NO and we could have had Reggie Bush and then we could have selected Mario and then we could have traded our third and forth round picks to the Jets and selected Dbrick.

What were we thinking???

bigbrewster2000
07-12-2006, 11:14 AM
I still cant believe that we didnt trade david Carr to Tennesse then we could have had Vince Yound and then we could have traded Domminic Davis to NO and we could have had Reggie Bush and then we could have selected Mario and then we could have traded our third and forth round picks to the Jets and selected Dbrick.

What were we thinking???
..... And then......And then.......And then we could have trade our whole team for another one.......And then.....And then......

The Dude Abides
07-12-2006, 11:15 AM
Well I'm made of magic and pixie dust.

Double Barrel
07-12-2006, 11:21 AM
We can only hope that this is the season that DC proves himself and this on-going debate experiences some resolution. Nothing like a fifth year QB still trying to live up to his potential.

hollywood_texan
07-12-2006, 11:35 AM
I am tired of the Carr discussion but I found this quote very funny from the start of theard:

"I know, I know, you get better protection from the lining of your college windbreaker than Carr does from the Texans' offensive line."

Thumbs up to the guy that wrote that and made a boring retread discussion funny.

wrestler4life
07-12-2006, 01:19 PM
I am tired of the Carr discussion but I found this quote very funny from the start of theard:

"I know, I know, you get better protection from the lining of your college windbreaker than Carr does from the Texans' offensive line."

Thumbs up to the guy that wrote that and made a boring retread discussion funny.
"The Emperor with No Clothes" got more protection from the cold than Carr did from opposing defenses.

U4ikrob
07-12-2006, 01:39 PM
..... And then......And then.......And then we could have trade our whole team for another one.......And then.....And then......

And then..... and Then.... - lol

For a minute I thought you were gonna break out with a rendition of the Speaker lady from "Dude - where's my car"

Yet Another re-hashing the old stuff fluff post. As we all know - nothing really means much until we put the pads on and see some live snaps against an oponent other than our own D later this year. Hopefully the line will give DC some time and David can make some better choices this year.

NATHANHALE
07-12-2006, 01:58 PM
Plummer makes all-pro and has the best yr of his career, so what does Denver do? They draft Jake's eventual replacement and put him on the out/hot seat. Will this scenario ever happen for Carr? Well, he'd have to make all-pro first!!

TwinSisters
07-12-2006, 04:15 PM
Plummer makes all-pro and has the best yr of his career, so what does Denver do? They draft Jake's eventual replacement and put him on the out/hot seat. Will this scenario ever happen for Carr? Well, he'd have to make all-pro first!!

well...I wouldn't call getting Cutler "putting Plummer on the hot seat". There are plenty of teams and coaches that still believe that a NFL QB needs 3 to 4 seasons on the bench to absorb the NFL.

Rodgers wasn't going to heat up Favre's spot in Green Bay.

So if, IF I say, Shanahan is thinking about raising Cutler up in this manner, Plummer has two solid years coming with the 3rd and 4th on watch ( when he is fast approaching 15 years in the league ).

NATHANHALE
07-12-2006, 07:38 PM
well...I wouldn't call getting Cutler "putting Plummer on the hot seat". There are plenty of teams and coaches that still believe that a NFL QB needs 3 to 4 seasons on the bench to absorb the NFL.

Rodgers wasn't going to heat up Favre's spot in Green Bay.

So if, IF I say, Shanahan is thinking about raising Cutler up in this manner, Plummer has two solid years coming with the 3rd and 4th on watch ( when he is fast approaching 15 years in the league ).

"Jake Plummer, QB, Denver: He just had a career season, leading the Broncos to the AFC championship game and winning 13 of 16 starts. Now he's a lame-duck, waiting to be replaced by Jay Cutler, the team's first-round draft pick. OK, so life isn't fair, but Plummer has one year to demonstrate he should keep his job. Wait a minute: Didn't he just do that?"

Well, this article sure does not agree with you! And, I think your 3 or 4 yrs for bench warming is not the case anymore. Sorry, but can't even think of a single high profile QB that did not start till his 4th or 5th year. I can name several QB's who started before that and are now back-ups...

infantrycak
07-12-2006, 07:51 PM
Sorry, but can't even think of a single high profile QB that did not start till his 4th or 5th year.

Trent Green--6th year
Matt Hasselback--3rd year
Jake Delhomme--6th year
Steve McNair--3rd year
Mark Brunell--3rd year
Mark Bulger--3rd year
Chris Simms--3rd year
Brad Johnson--5th year

Regardless of whether you consider them high profile or not, waiting a while to become as starter is not totally out of vogue in the NFL either.

NATHANHALE
07-12-2006, 07:58 PM
Trent Green--6th year
Matt Hasselback--3rd year
Jake Delhomme--6th year
Steve McNair--3rd year
Mark Brunell--3rd year
Mark Bulger--3rd year
Chris Simms--3rd year
Brad Johnson--5th year

Regardless of whether you consider them high profile or not, waiting a while to become as starter is not totally out of vogue in the NFL either.

Was Simms the only recent QB you could fine? Also, thanks for answering for Twin Sisters, but her post said 3 or 4 yrs on the bench which means did not start until their 4th or 5th year. Were any of these QBs drafted in the 1st or 2nd round or were most drafted as 'projects'?

TwinSisters
07-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Well, this article sure does not agree with you! And, I think your 3 or 4 yrs for bench warming is not the case anymore. Sorry, but can't even think of a single high profile QB that did not start till his 4th or 5th year. I can name several QB's who started before that and are now back-ups...

Are you forgetting about Rivers? Delhomme? Hasselbeck? Trent Green? Simms?

2-4 years before they became 16 Game ready starters. Simms would have rode the bench 3 straight if not for injury.

Nobody typed anything stating all coaches believe the same thing. The changes in the CBA have changed the 5 year plan down to 3-4 because of the contract restrictions. New changes again will shorten that down to 1-2, because you need to have a better idea of what you drafted before paying them.

Holmgren would not have started Hasselbeck until his fifth year if he didn't have all the other pressures working ( GM, Hasselbecks attitude, fan base, Dilfer, Kitna, etc. )

as for the article... the guy is playing starting fullback in the Hyber Bowl if you know what I mean.

NATHANHALE
07-12-2006, 08:10 PM
Are you forgetting about Rivers? Delhomme? Hasselbeck? Trent Green? Simms?

2-4 years before they became 16 Game ready starters. Simms would have rode the bench 3 straight if not for injury.

Nobody typed anything stating all coaches believe the same thing. The changes in the CBA have changed the 5 year plan down to 3-4 because of the contract restrictions. New changes again will shorten that down to 1-2, because you need to have a better idea of what you drafted before paying them.

Holmgren would not have started Hasselbeck until his fifth year if he didn't have all the other pressures working ( GM, Hasselbecks attitude, fan base, Dilfer, Kitna, etc. )

as for the article... the guy is playing starting fullback in the Hyber Bowl if you know what I mean.

Is Rivers the only QB in that bunch taken in the 1st round? I'm saying no team is going to draft a QB in the first round-give him a high dollar 4 yr contract-and sit him on the bench for most (if not all) his 1st contract.

TwinSisters
07-12-2006, 08:13 PM
Were any of these QBs drafted in the 1st or 2nd round or were most drafted as 'projects'?

well it could be that Cutler was a BPA move. Champ Bailey was just on the Network talking about how they didn't really have a glaring need for personel on the D. Their line is maturing... maybe they need some WRs, but other then that why pass on Cutler?

TwinSisters
07-12-2006, 08:20 PM
Is Rivers the only QB in that bunch taken in the 1st round? I'm saying no team is going to draft a QB in the first round-give him a high dollar 4 yr contract-and sit him on the bench for most (if not all) his 1st contract.

yeah but two years for Plummer to win a Super Bowl with the current squad is not exactly 'hot seat' is what I am saying.

NATHANHALE
07-12-2006, 08:32 PM
well it could be that Cutler was a BPA move. Champ Bailey was just on the Network talking about how they didn't really have a glaring need for personel on the D. Their line is maturing... maybe they need some WRs, but other then that why pass on Cutler?

I may be wrong but didn't Denver move up to get Cutler at #11? Ok, Broncos traded their 15th and 68th picks (3rd round) to get Cutler---sounds like they wanted him pretty bad...wonder how long he'll 'ride the bench.'

MorKnolle
07-12-2006, 08:38 PM
I may be wrong but didn't Denver move up to get Cutler at #11?

yes

infantrycak
07-12-2006, 08:47 PM
Was Simms the only recent QB you could fine?

So you want a recent QB who has sat on the bench 5 or 6 years and become high profile?--yeah, that makes sense.

Also, thanks for answering for Twin Sisters, but her post said 3 or 4 yrs on the bench which means did not start until their 4th or 5th year. Were any of these QBs drafted in the 1st or 2nd round or were most drafted as 'projects'?

You said high profile not high draft pick. IMO NFL starting QB's are almost by definition high profile. Certainly a league MVP, a SB winner, a perennial top 1-3 passer and 3 SB contestant QB's seems like a successful if not high profile list.

If you want to have a private conversation with TS, do it on PM. The MB is for everyone to respond to.

TwinSisters
07-12-2006, 09:31 PM
O yeah that's right on the move up.

A third rounder and a swaparoo with St.Louis

"When you pick in the latter part of the first round, very seldom do you get a chance to make some of these trades," Shanahan said. "We were very fortunate to have No. 15 and an extra second and an extra third to do some of the things we did today."

The net results of the day included a highly-touted quarterback and a Pro Bowl wide receiver, a haul that was not necessariy expected, but one for whith the Broncos prepared.
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=5544

I sitll don't believe that in the long term Shanahan is thinking a rookie QB is going to launch them into the Super Bowl.

"I was a little bit surprised," Cutler said. "I'm happy. I'm excited to get there and be a part of the organization, but this wasn't part of the plan."

But keeping quiet about intentions was part of Denver's plan.

"We don't talk to (prospects) because sometimes when you talk to them, you give it away," Shanahan said. "I had a chance to talk to (Titans Head Coach) Jeff Fisher a number of times, and Jeff was working out all three quarterbacks and spending a lot of time with all three, and Jeff thought the world of him (Cutler).

":Obviously, I liked what I saw on film. He can make all the throws, and I liked the way he handled himself and I liked the way he played. Jeff had a chance to spend a lot with him right there obviously in the same city and didn't feel like he had any flaws. Jeff and I have been close through the years, and I didn't have to give something away, so that's always nice."

"Jake understands that there is competition," Shanahan said. "If we didn't draft (a quarterback), it could have easily been in the second or third (round) or in free agency. Regardless of where a guy is picked, the guy has to come in here and compete. Jake understands the nature of this job. Jake has a lot of confidence in himself."

Aside from Plummer, the Broncos have no quarterbacks with any professional starting experience. Bradlee Van Pelt played during the second half of the regular-season finale at San Diego last year and took one snap in the Week 13 loss at Kansas City, running for a touchdown on a play where Plummer was split wide. The Broncos added former Cardinals backup Preston Parsons this offseason; he spent two seasons (2002-03) and part of the 2004 offseason in Arizona. He also spent time with the Houston Texans during their 2005 training camp.

They needed a QB and WRs and had extra picks to deal with.