PDA

View Full Version : Aikman:From Henryetta to Canton

Wolf
07-12-2006, 04:24 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9549875

A little rundown on Aikmans career

infantrycak
07-12-2006, 07:25 AM
A lot of folks like to belittle both Aikman and Emmitt's careers. IMO they both well deserve going to the Hall.

WWJD
07-12-2006, 09:01 AM
Yep both guys deserve it.

HJam72
07-12-2006, 09:10 AM
Emmitt, I'm totally sold on. Aikman....ahhhhhh? He does deserve to be in the Hall, yes--don't get me wrong; but, I was never one who thought he was really the best around. I just thought he was good with great talent around him. Good is an understatement--I'll say almost great, but not quite. I think his stats and lack of interceptions are misleading, because of a lack of pressure from opposing defenses, Emmitt Smith himself, and a tall, high-jumping, super-star wide-out (who got a away with a lot of push-offs in the end-zone). Hey, I could go on about Aikman's good qualities, but I'd just be agreeing with everyone else and that's not my point here. :) My point is that I feel he was very good, but also a little overrated.

Why not question Emmitt too? Because I've seen Emmitt go throught the hole, make it to the second level, take hits from several LBs at the same time, and bust his way through it. Shear determination. I can't fault that stuff, no matter how good his line was.

WWJD
07-12-2006, 09:27 AM
Emmitt was about as durable as they come and I've stood right next to him and he's not all that big. So to take all that pounding and to do as outstanding a job as he did year after year shows greatness to me. He just had IT.

And who can forget him playing with one shoulder in that NY Giant game? Not me that's for sure.

Great guy, great player and great determination. Emmitt is a winner.

infantrycak
07-12-2006, 09:58 AM
Emmitt, I'm totally sold on. Aikman....ahhhhhh? He does deserve to be in the Hall, yes--don't get me wrong; but, I was never one who thought he was really the best around. I just thought he was good with great talent around him. Good is an understatement--I'll say almost great, but not quite. I think his stats and lack of interceptions are misleading, because of a lack of pressure from opposing defenses, Emmitt Smith himself, and a tall, high-jumping, super-star wide-out (who got a away with a lot of push-offs in the end-zone).

One of the things folks overlook in considering Aikman's career and focusing on the Dallas running game is his post-season performance. In the post season the run D's were obviously better on average as were the D's overall. Teams game planned to shut down Emmitt. Aikman upped his game when the games were toughest and most critical increasing his completion %, yards per game and TD's per game in the post-season. Many QB's falter in the post-season--Aikman excelled.

infantrycak
07-12-2006, 10:03 AM
Because I've seen Emmitt go throught the hole, make it to the second level, take hits from several LBs at the same time, and bust his way through it. Shear determination. I can't fault that stuff, no matter how good his line was.

As I alluded to, Emmitt IMO is also improperly downgraded for playing behind a great OL. A great RB makes his OL look better--it is somewhat chicken and egg. In any event, as you say, Emmitt didn't make his career on blowing thru huge holes to be tackled by the 1st guy. He made his career minimizing contact by good angles and shiftiness and then powering thru the contact. At one point a commentator mentioned Emmitt had made more of his yards after 1st contact than before--it wasn't all the OL.

Kaiser Toro
07-12-2006, 10:20 AM
I was not a fan of Aikman as a Cowboy fan, but he has earned a spot in the Hall in my opinion. The team he led defined a decade.