PDA

View Full Version : Texans and the tight end position

Texans_Chick
07-10-2006, 06:55 PM
New blog post in these quiet times.

Link: What is this "tight end" thing that you speak of? (http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2006/07/what_is_this_tight_end_thing_t.html)

When I put it together, I learned some new stuff (I knew what I saw but I didn't know the actual stats).

hollywood_texan
07-10-2006, 07:21 PM
From the article, this explains why we picked a tight end in the draft:

"Kubiak also believes that Daniels can also be used at H-back and fullback as well as tightend."

I didn't understand why we picked a tight end with Bruener, Putzier, and Joppru all competing for playing time this year and we had so many other holes to address. There is a big log jam at the TE position.

IMO, Daniels will get a lot of reps from other positions and special teams because BPJ are going to take most of the reps at TE.

the wonger need food
07-10-2006, 07:56 PM
Tejano Chica, thanks for another good read.

Did you get the title from this thread... http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=24649&highlight=tight

FYI... You left out Patrick Hape.

aj.
07-10-2006, 07:58 PM
Look at the Broncos roster and see how many TEs and FBs they carry and you will see why Putz, Cook, Daniels, Hape et al are in camp. Watch how they use guys like Kyle Johnson. When people start seeing practices and preseason games this will become more obvious.

TwinSisters
07-10-2006, 07:59 PM
Pat Kirwan is a jerk-off.. Cowboys' patsy.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/team/te.html

here's a better history of the Double TE

CloakNNNdagger
07-10-2006, 08:09 PM
"Kubiak also believes that Daniels can also be used at H-back and fullback as well as tightend."

That would put Daniels in perfect situations to use his early QB skills in trick passing plays.:lightbulb:

TwinSisters
07-10-2006, 08:14 PM
That would put Daniels in perfect situations to use his early QB skills in trick passing plays.:lightbulb:

Or emulate Young/Jones in practice.

Texans_Chick
07-10-2006, 08:40 PM
Crud, I knew I left someone out. Hape goes in shortly.

Texans_Chick
07-10-2006, 08:52 PM

Did you get the title from this thread... http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=24649&highlight=tight

FYI... You left out Patrick Hape.

Yeah. I remembered that, but should have looked it up because then I wouldn't have left out Hape. It's so true. I didn't realize how true until I looked up the percentages.

When I read that, I hear in my head the Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer trying to understand our team.

http://snl.jt.org/arc/char/PhHa-Cirroc.jpg

the wonger need food
07-10-2006, 09:05 PM
http://z.about.com/d/houston/1/0/o/-/-/-/doncapers.jpg

I'm just a caveman. I fell on some ice and later got thawed out by some of your scientists. Your world frightens and confuses me! When I see my image on the big screen television at the stadium, I wonder, are they stealing my soul? When I open this little book that I carry around with me and see the word tight end I wonder: "Did little demons get inside and write it?" What is this tight end thing that you speak of? My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.

aj.
07-10-2006, 09:15 PM
Wesley Walls (a TE) was a three time Pro Bowler and led the team in receptions two of those years under Capers at Carolina.

TwinSisters
07-11-2006, 12:11 AM
Wesley Walls (a TE) was a three time Pro Bowler and led the team in receptions two of those years under Capers at Carolina.

I wonder what the problem was with Billy Miller? Did he get hurt? Or was he just too slow or something?

infantrycak
07-11-2006, 12:21 AM
I wonder what the problem was with Billy Miller? Did he get hurt? Or was he just too slow or something?

Billy Miller was an oversized (for a WR), too slow WR who the Broncos and then Texans converted to TE. He just didn't have the combination of size, speed and blocking skills to be a legitimate NFL TE.

LORK 88
07-11-2006, 12:51 AM
Im just glad that we're taking steps to erase Capers beliefs about TEs. It would drive me crazy when you could know what we were going to do on offense just by looking at which TE in was in (Rivers for receiving, Bruener for blocking). I used to say that we just need balance at TE, and luckily Kubiak to the rescue.

TwinSisters
07-11-2006, 01:38 AM
Billy Miller was an oversized (for a WR), too slow WR who the Broncos and then Texans converted to TE. He just didn't have the combination of size, speed and blocking skills to be a legitimate NFL TE.

Son of a gun! Look at that... I think the Saints picked him up!

He had a pretty good mid-range game in his first season with us. I always wondered why they didn't toss him in as a slot WRer or second TE after that.

He's around 245 so that's not too bad. Crap, I guess I will end up watching a few Saints games this year after all.

WHOA! Damn! Jay Foreman too... those looting buncha pirates!

aj.
07-11-2006, 07:49 AM
Miller is a long shot to stick on anyone's 53, as is Foreman who's been a Raider and a Giant since being released from Houston. If either of those two make it on the Saints opening day roster, New Orleans is in even worse shape than we thought.

infantrycak
07-11-2006, 08:24 AM
He had a pretty good mid-range game in his first season with us.

He's around 245 so that's not too bad.

In 2002 I believe he played at about 235 lbs. The Texans asked him to bulk up to become more effective blocking in 2003. I think he even got higher than 245 lbs in 2003 and then came back down some for 2004.

thunderkyss
07-11-2006, 08:26 AM
As a Texans fan, you may not be familiar with this thing that NFL teams refer to as a "tight end." If you've been carefully watching the Texans recent games, you might think of these guys as the skinny linemens.

hehe.......

but seriously..... that's a great read.. I also read the article about why the boys would draft another tightend, when they've already got Witten..... that was an exciting article, as we drafted Owens Daniels, after aquiring Putz, and Joppru still on the books....

Since we are on the subject of tightends...... would anyone want to quantify what would make a good one??

Of course he's got to block.... there aren't many stats that I know of.. at least not in the common everyday nfl.com stat records, that will track this.

But receptions & yards........ what do you guys think we need to see from our tightend??

would the number of receptions be more important?? as long as he's catching the ball, he'll do??

Or do we need to see close to 1000 yards out of the position, before we can say we finally got a tightend??

Runner
07-11-2006, 08:43 AM
As a Texans fan, you may not be familiar with this thing that NFL teams refer to as a "tight end." If you've been carefully watching the Texans recent games, you might think of these guys as the skinny linemens.

hehe.......

Glass houses, man. Glass houses.

Texans_Chick
07-11-2006, 08:58 AM
hehe.......

but seriously..... that's a great read.. I also read the article about why the boys would draft another tightend, when they've already got Witten..... that was an exciting article, as we drafted Owens Daniels, after aquiring Putz, and Joppru still on the books....

Since we are on the subject of tightends...... would anyone want to quantify what would make a good one??

Of course he's got to block.... there aren't many stats that I know of.. at least not in the common everyday nfl.com stat records, that will track this.

But receptions & yards........ what do you guys think we need to see from our tightend??

would the number of receptions be more important?? as long as he's catching the ball, he'll do??

Or do we need to see close to 1000 yards out of the position, before we can say we finally got a tightend??

I heard Coach Pariani talk a while back when I was at the coaching clinic. This is what he says:

1. You need your TE to be smart. On the offensive side of the ball, he expects the QB, center and TEs to know the most about what is going on.

2. His criteria for a great TE is not the stats that show up in fantasy leagues. Yeah, he wants them to be able to catch, so that the defenses don't know if you are going to run or throw based on formations, but he wants them to do everything, and to do it precisely. The offense is very positional--everybody needs to be in the right place doing their job for the defensive players to be off-balance and outta position to make a play.

3. He says that traditionally, the TEs are often the worst athletes on the field--this is why on the NFL level, they often use good athletes that were converted to TE late in their careers. He is looking for great, smart athletes and he asks his TEs to do a lot.

TwinSisters
07-11-2006, 09:04 AM
In 2002 I believe he played at about 235 lbs. The Texans asked him to bulk up to become more effective blocking in 2003. I think he even got higher than 245 lbs in 2003 and then came back down some for 2004.

Hmmm so he couldn't block? Wonder what those guys are thinking over there then?
It's not like Payton has a bunch of masterminds as his assistants.

Anyway it looks like Miller is listed at 252 there ( New Orleans ) and they are carrying 6 TEs into the pre-season also.

BamaTexan
07-11-2006, 11:35 AM
Your thoughts on Coach Pariani are right on. I saw this debate rage on in Denver the last 4 years. A few of these TE's, like Hape, will become or already are slash players, H-back. Hape saw most of his time in mini-camp at FB and has been told he will be back there for training camp. His first year in Denver, he started 8 games at Fullback, then was moved back to 2nd string at TE. From what I've seen, Bruener and Hape are great blockers. Putzier has good hands and can stretch the field. Not sure about Daniels or Joppru.

BT

ojthecat
07-11-2006, 12:01 PM

I think that that thread came from this thread...
http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=24028

I cant wait for our new offense to push the envelope and throw a pass to a linemen this will totally messup the defenses game plan!!!!

Hardcore Texan
07-11-2006, 12:17 PM
http://z.about.com/d/houston/1/0/o/-/-/-/doncapers.jpg

I'm just a caveman. I fell on some ice and later got thawed out by some of your scientists. Your world frightens and confuses me! When I see my image on the big screen television at the stadium, I wonder, are they stealing my soul? When I open this little book that I carry around with me and see the word tight end I wonder: "Did little demons get inside and write it?" What is this tight end thing that you speak of? My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.

Thanks for the laugh....hilarious, ROTFLMAO! I had forgotten how the skit used to go...brings back memories.

thunderkyss
07-11-2006, 12:20 PM
Pat Kirwan is a jerk-off.. Cowboys' patsy.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/team/te.html

here's a better history of the Double TE

That's a great article TwistedSister.........

wouldn't it be great if the NFL would just sell those old games on DVD or something. I'd love to watch some of that

Hardcore Texan
07-11-2006, 12:21 PM
From the article, this explains why we picked a tight end in the draft:

I didn't understand why we picked a tight end with Bruener, Putzier, and Joppru all competing for playing time this year and we had so many other holes to address. There is a big log jam at the TE position.

IMO, Daniels will get a lot of reps from other positions and special teams because BPJ are going to take most of the reps at TE.

I have been saying this for awhile now, Kubiak has been saying that he envisions utilizing the TE in these roles...we should have some great competition. All of a sudden it seems we are stacked at TE.

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?p=347775#post347775

Texans_Chick
07-14-2006, 08:04 PM
Aaron Halterman is back in town:

Link: "Halterman home in U.S. again" (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2660&section=N%20Latest%20News)

Halterman home in U.S. again
July 14, 2006
By Carmine Pirone
HoustonTexans.com

Over the past month, the World Cup vaulted soccer and perhaps more importantly, European fans into the forefront of the sports world. Every four years many are shocked by the passion that European fans display as their countries battle for the world’s most sought after trophy. Texans tight end Aaron Halterman knows all too well how passionate Europeans can be about their sports. He saw it first hand as a member of the Rhein Fire of NFL Europe.

“The fans are crazy,” Halterman said. “I’ve never seen anything like it. Obviously, soccer is their number one sport over there, but they’ve really taken to football. They’re on their feet the whole game with whistles. I’ve never seen a game when people were allowed to have whistles in the stands. So every game they’re blowing the whistle and you’re thinking the play is over but no, it’s not, you just keep going.”

While soccer is king outside of the United States, American football isn’t exactly struggling for an audience. Once seen as a grand experiment, NFL Europe is now well into a second decade of playing America’s favorite sport oversees during the NFL offseason. Part of the reason is the league’s emphasis on connecting with a new fan base.

“After every game they tell you, win or lose, to go shake the fans hands and that’s important to keep the fan support,” Halterman said. “They’re trying to build that up over there, but it’s great. Every road game we had about 2,000 fans there, which is a lot when you’re drawing 25,000 (fans) to home games so they were great.”

Some NFL teams have had thoughts of having their training camps in Europe though the expense as well as the physical strain of the travel has kept those thoughts from fruition. If a team does make it over to Europe for a month, it may not be that different from Halterman’s NFL Europe experience.

“I’ll tell you what, they kept us pretty sequestered. It was kind of like training camp. It was some full days, it was kind of like two-a-days every day, but it was a great experience.”

But don’t feel too bad for the Texans’ second year receiver out of Indiana, he did get to see some of Europe this past spring.

“We were out away from the city, but we still got to see some of it,” Halterman said. “We were out, got to travel a little. I saw some of the surrounding cities. Getting to see Amsterdam, Colon, Berlin was really neat, a lot of history.”

More than anything else, however, Halterman was in Europe to refine his play on the field. After signing as a non-drafted free agent prior to last season, Halterman spent the year on the Texans’ practice squad. That, of course, means no game action, a stark contrast to a collegiate career with the Hoosiers that saw him start 33 of 44 games played.

After being allocated to the Rhein Fire in January, Halterman knew at least one thing, he would finally get to play football-and play he did.

Halterman hauled in 26 receptions for the Rhein Fire, ranking eighth in the league. While he played all over the field offensively, he was ultimately rewarded with first team all-NFL Europe honors for his play at tight end. Overall, it was all Halterman could have hoped for when he found out he would be hopping across the Atlantic Ocean to continue his football career.

“The experience was good,” he said. “It was a lot of football there, jam-packed into four months, but it was good to be back on the field playing a ten-game season. We were disappointed we didn’t win the World Bowl, but I felt like I had a good season. I got some things done that I wanted to get done. I got some much-needed game experience at the next level. In college, I missed some time at the end of my career and last season I didn’t play at all, a couple of preseason snaps here and there. The biggest thing was to get some film and some game experience. I had a great time. It’s an awesome place.”

With a new coaching staff, Halterman might have a lot to prove when training camp begins at the end of July. The tight end position is suddenly a crowded place with many talented pass catchers. Luckily for Halterman, he spent plenty of time at positions other than tight end for the Rhein Fire this spring.

“I played fullback, tight end, receiver, a little bit of everything so I had to know what all those positions were doing.”

That versatility could earn him a roster spot by the beginning of the 2006 season. If it does it will only be because of Halterman’s work ethic while in Europe which improved his game in all areas.

“I think (I improved) my whole game. For the most part I wanted to sure up my blocking. Being on a practice squad and having to do some things and with losing some weight after college, I really wanted to work on my blocking. The biggest thing, though, was the mental part of it. I learned a lot conceptually, more offense, defense, what the whole field is doing. I had a great coach, Steve Logan, he was my offensive coordinator and he also coached tight ends, He really broke it down for me in a way you could understand. Mentally, I came away with a better understanding of the game.”

If Halterman’s NFL Europe game translates to its’ parent league, Halterman could be shaking hands with Texans fans for years to come.

houstonhurricane
07-14-2006, 08:15 PM
Chick,

How can I find your stories on chron.com? I don't see a link on the website...

well, I guess all I had to do was look at the bottom of your previous post - mea culpa!

Bobo
07-17-2006, 01:35 AM
Look at the Broncos roster and see how many TEs and FBs they carry and you will see why Putz, Cook, Daniels, Hape et al are in camp. Watch how they use guys like Kyle Johnson. When people start seeing practices and preseason games this will become more obvious.

What Denver does should have no effect on the Texans. The Texans are a completely different team with different players, different strengths and different needs than the Broncos. That's why trying to copy the Broncos is bound to fail. It really is that simple.