PDA

View Full Version : The Nfl Is Violent, Brutal And Bloody

CloakNNNdagger
07-10-2006, 12:28 PM
When The Oilers were still here, I once played a sandlot game of football with Steve Brown (CB) [6'1 205 - 9% body fat] and Jamie "Spiderman" Williams (TE) [6'4' 245 - 11% body fat]. I went up for a pass........they slammed into me coming from different directions "sandwiching" me...........and compacted me to the width of a finely sliced piece of Swiss cheese. Bells were ringing and birdies singing........it was like being hit by 2 brick walls.............and they were even trying to "play nice" with me.

I think that most of us can't even imagine the trauma that our players put themselves through both on the receiving and delivering ends every time they step onto the field. They are indeed our modern day gladiators..........more so than any other professional sport..............Statistics consistently show that greater than 50% of all NFL players will become injured annually.:

Link: The 2003 NFL injury rate was nearly eight times higher than that of any other commercial sports league, according to the U.S. Department of Labor -- and that includes the National Hockey League, the National Basketball Association and professional auto racing. (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/specialreports/specialnfl/s_291033.html)

gwallaia
07-10-2006, 12:31 PM
"You want to know how hard you're hit? If you're a running back, and you're hit full-speed, he can literally knock the feces out of your bowels

That's also known as getting the **** knocked out of you.

Kaiser Toro
07-10-2006, 12:36 PM
When The Oilers were still here, I once played a sandlot game of football with Steve Brown (CB) [6'1 205 - 9% body fat] and Jamie "Spiderman" Williams (TE) [6'4' 245 - 11% body fat]. I went up for a pass........they slammed into me coming from different directions "sandwiching" me...........and compacted me to the width of a finely sliced piece of Swiss cheese. Bells were ringing and birdies singing........it was like being hit by 2 brick walls.............and they were even trying to "play nice" with me.

I think that most of us can't even imagine the trauma that our players put themselves through both on the receiving and delivering ends every time they step onto the field. They are indeed our modern day gladiators..........more so than any other professional sport..............Statistics consistently show that greater than 50% of all NFL players will become injured annually.:

Link: The 2003 NFL injury rate was nearly eight times higher than that of any other commercial sports league, according to the U.S. Department of Labor -- and that includes the National Hockey League, the National Basketball Association and professional auto racing. (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/specialreports/specialnfl/s_291033.html)

This is largely why I am advocate of spending the dollars on the big uglies and Defense and make our scouting department and coaching staff earn their pay and find skill position players that can improve yearly and contribute right away. I believe we are beginning to do as such and love it.

TwinSisters
07-10-2006, 12:47 PM
Football seems like a dangerous sport, but the risk of being killed per year of participation is only 1 in 81,000 in high school and 1 in 33,000 in college, corresponding to LLE of 0.3 and 0.6 days, respectively. Many other sports are much more dangerous. The LLE per year of participation is 8 days for professional boxing, 25 days for hang gliding, 110 days for dedicated mountain climbers (10 days for all climbers), 0.9 days for mountain hikers, 25 days for parachuting, 9 days for sailplaning, 7 days for amateur scuba diving, 2 days for snowmobiling, and 0.5 days for racing on skis.

yeah but not quite as bad as skiing or boxing.

or even as bad as being unemployed or poor.
http://www.phyast.pitt.edu/~blc/book/chapter8.html

12Gage
07-10-2006, 10:08 PM
nice job pointing out the obvious

mike moffat
07-11-2006, 12:58 AM
That's also known as getting the **** knocked out of you.
Amen to that. And the speed in which it can happen is unbelievable!:crutch:

TwinSisters
07-11-2006, 05:19 AM

Indeed.

The amount of force generated by a 5 man line at 290 lbs each is the same as 6 bullets from a .357 magnum.

1,875 lbmft/s or about 7 Horsepower.

One game generates enough energy to move the entire state of Delaware one foot.
( 120 plays 22 men 250 avg weight )

wicked_wayz
07-11-2006, 07:12 AM

you ever tried rugby league????? thats a game of warriors:yahoo:

Tedc
07-11-2006, 07:33 AM

Did you read the title?:homer:

powerfuldragon
07-11-2006, 09:15 AM
Quarterbacks, tight ends, wide receivers, safeties and cornerbacks routinely suffer high rates of brain concussions and spine injuries that could trigger paralysis, dementia, depression and other ailments later in life.

Bradshaw?