PDA

View Full Version : DEfense Nickname?

pittbull
07-08-2006, 12:02 PM
We never came up with one over the last few years, and I guess for good reason. Do we have anything folks or what? I say we get it started and give the defense something to ride behind and get pride in, rather than waiting for them to do something. Believe me, this defense will be a TON better with Smith at the lead. Even if they would have stayed in the 3-4, the guy has more intensity and shows more accountability than the Capers regime. How bout, "The make you Bleed, Stampede...lol":hunter: .........:chicken:

DocBar
07-08-2006, 12:08 PM
We never came up with one over the last few years, and I guess for good reason. Do we have anything folks or what? I say we get it started and give the defense something to ride behind and get pride in, rather than waiting for them to do something. Believe me, this defense will be a TON better with Smith at the lead. Even if they would have stayed in the 3-4, the guy has more intensity and shows more accountability than the Capers regime. How bout, "The make you Bleed, Stampede...lol":hunter: .........:chicken:
well, the last 3 years, it could've been sieve or caulender or leaky or Pepe LePew. I'm drawing a complete blank for this year cuz I have no idea what kind of identity they're gonna have. Might wanna wait til a few regular season games have gone by then retry

edo783
07-08-2006, 12:12 PM
It's a bit early for a name IMO as they haven't set a personality yet, but how about the "Hounds" then everyone in the stands can yell "Loose the Hounds!". War Dogs isn't to bad either.

DocBar
07-08-2006, 12:37 PM
It's a bit early for a name IMO as they haven't set a personality yet, but how about the "Hounds" then everyone in the stands can yell "Loose the Hounds!". War Dogs isn't to bad either.
But what if they end up being pups? Will we nickname Reliant Stadium "The Porch"? Cuz if ya can't run with the big dawgs....

HeroTime
07-08-2006, 12:46 PM
Call them the "ManCrushers" that way you can display you mancrush on them and the will physically crush and man that comes their way. :bananasplit:

Eyeguy
07-08-2006, 01:12 PM
The "Bull Rush"

TexansLucky13
07-08-2006, 01:58 PM
The Little Engine that Could

TEXANS84
07-08-2006, 02:05 PM
32nd franchise, 32nd defense?

CloakNNNdagger
07-08-2006, 03:09 PM

There's a good reason why the Texans have gone without a nickname for their 'D'.................noone would want the name out there for ridicule. I am very hopeful for a significant upgrade of play by this year's team. But, at the same time, before a "tough" name is applied, "weeny" performance needs to be proven a thing of the past.

That said, I'll offer up "The [Houston] Hit Squad"

DocBar
07-08-2006, 03:26 PM
There's a good reason why the Texans have gone without a nickname for their 'D'.................noone would want the name out there for ridicule. I am very hopeful for a significant upgrade of play by this year's team. But, at the same time, before a "tough" name is applied, "weeny" performance needs to be proven a thing of the past.

That said, I'll offer up "The [Houston] Hit Squad"
If they're tough weenies, we could do something with the Oscar Meyer song....just a thought....
Lets see some proof before we start calling it pudding!!!

rams-rule
07-08-2006, 03:43 PM
the blue stampede

Double Barrel
07-08-2006, 04:01 PM
While I certainly hope we have a defense that earns the right to a nickname, I hesitate to call them anything at this point when we haven't seen them play a down. I'd hate to come up with some kickass nic only to have them struggle to live up to it.

Although something with "stampede" would be kind of cool, especially if that's the way they make opposing offenses feel.

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
07-08-2006, 04:15 PM
I agree with most we need to see them play with our own eyes before giving them a nickname.(but if the man can play like we think he can I'm throughing out Marios Marauders.(I think that how to spell it)

bigtex77
07-08-2006, 05:45 PM
How about "A defense that has the potential to not suck" for now and then see what happens? :ok:

aj.
07-08-2006, 06:52 PM
I kind of like "winners." But we have yet to earn that right.

It's all Carr's fault.

Reddevil63
07-08-2006, 07:35 PM
Until Im proven wrong, Im going to stick with "Swiss Cheese"

AFD1717
07-08-2006, 08:27 PM
How about "A defense that has the potential to not suck" for now and then see what happens? :ok:
Very nice. I agree whole heartedly, but it is July and we don't have anything else to talk about. How about "The Mad Cow Disease?"

TwinSisters
07-08-2006, 08:37 PM
Although something with "stampede" would be kind of cool, especially if that's the way they make opposing offenses feel.

You do realize that the Texan's defense already has an old nickname that needs to be shed before you add a new one?

And stampede could be taken the other way round! :D

Hottoddie
07-08-2006, 08:42 PM
I'd prefer a more simple name like, "The Wall :brickwall ".

Or, perhaps, "The Welcoming Committee :mad:".

And, of course, if we play like last year, "The SOS Squad :sos:".

DocBar
07-09-2006, 06:20 AM
I'd prefer a more simple name like, "The Wall :brickwall ".

Or, perhaps, "The Welcoming Committee :mad:".

And, of course, if we play like last year, "The SOS Squad :sos:".
The underlined could have been used the last couple of years, too. Would it be way to cheesy just to bring back the House of Pain? Maybe we could call MW "The Dentist" cuz those guys know how to deliver PAIN. Can't believe I just typed that!!!!
:hides:

HOOK'EM
07-09-2006, 08:21 AM
......what about "the Steel Curtian", cause our jerseys are Deep Steel Blue.

DocBar
07-09-2006, 08:24 AM
NOOOOOOO!!!!!! Reminds me WAY too much of Pittsburgh. As a member of the "Luv Ya Blue" era, I could never go with that one!!!
:dangit:

HJam72
07-09-2006, 08:25 AM

That one is definitely already taken. Also, I don't want anything related to dogs, because I DO NOT wanna hear, "Who let the dogs out?" over and over.

Stampede
07-09-2006, 11:03 PM
If they're tough weenies, we could do something with the Oscar Meyer song....just a thought....
Lets see some proof before we start calling it pudding!!!
Just spewed a mouthfull of coke all over my monitor...LMAO (Sung to Oscar Meyer).....Ohhhhhhhhhhh, The texans have some big ole badass weiners....We serve them up for peyton and for cowboys too...The texans have some big ole badass weiners...and if you dare they'l break your face in two.....

Toro
07-10-2006, 11:46 PM
The name Bull Rush sounds awesome.

Or, "The Stampede"

TexansSeminole
07-10-2006, 11:50 PM
Nicknames aren't made like this guys...nicknames are made after a defense plays amazing for several years.

LORK 88
07-11-2006, 12:10 AM
Why not just call us Blue Steel? (even tho that reminds me WAY too much of Zoolander to take it seriously). Personally, Id be cool if we just picked up the slogan "Dont Mess With Texas" and took it as our motto.

South Texan
07-11-2006, 02:38 AM
If they live up to their potential, how about Kubiack's Krushers? :crutch:

ensign_lee
07-11-2006, 02:52 AM
I'm gonna stick with Reliant being the slaughterhouse. Woooh! :francis:

TK_Gamer
07-11-2006, 03:05 AM
"Hard Knocks" making reliant "The School of ......."

Tale Gator
07-11-2006, 07:51 AM
Check the sig... :ok:

AFD1717
07-11-2006, 11:32 AM
I'm gonna stick with Reliant being the slaughterhouse. Woooh! :francis:
I origianlly liked that one too, but isn't a Slaughterhouse where cows go to die? Where do Colts go to die? "The Glue Factory" maybe?

powerfuldragon
07-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Nicknames aren't made like this guys...nicknames are made after a defense plays amazing for several years.
Yup.

Double Barrel
07-11-2006, 01:33 PM

I second that motion.

although...the Urban Assault Squad had a nice ring to it.... :hmmm:

real
07-11-2006, 01:37 PM
the bull pen...

DocBar
07-11-2006, 01:43 PM
the bull pen...
Might as well...the Astro's aren't using it properly.

fan no matter what
07-11-2006, 02:07 PM
have to agree they need to make a name for there self.

hopefully it will be something mean and nasty with a lot of sacks.

:francis:

BringItOn
07-11-2006, 04:28 PM
How about 'Treadmarks'? As in what the opposing running backs left on our defenders jerseys. There's another awful conotation that I'll just let lie...

trane
07-11-2006, 04:44 PM
I like both "Bull Rush" and "Stampede". What I like even more is calling Mario-"Super Mario". Perhaps, a video game reference can used to describe to whole defense or even certain players. For example, "Space Invaders","The Defenders", etc. Just a thought!

real
07-11-2006, 04:46 PM
or we can just call em the "D"

Yankee_In_TX
07-11-2006, 04:49 PM
I stand by the last time I posted about this; they have to come into their own name....

TexansLucky13
07-11-2006, 04:51 PM
I stand by mine. "The Little Engine that Could" :rolleyes:

Hervoyel
07-11-2006, 06:04 PM
I just feel like it's a waste of time and kind of silly to come up with a nickname for a defense that has gotten progressively worse every season of it's existence. Let's be honest about our defense in the first four years. They started out pretty average and went south. Defenses that suck don't get the kind of nicknames you want to keep.

I am absolutely certain we've turned a corner and we're on the rise. Despite that I think it's too early to be talking nickname. Talking respectable has to come first.

Besides, the really good nicknames just happen. Nobody brainstorms on a message board and comes up with a lasting and fitting nickname.

DocBar
07-11-2006, 06:20 PM
I just feel like it's a waste of time and kind of silly to come up with a nickname for a defense that has gotten progressively worse every season of it's existence. Let's be honest about our defense in the first four years of our teams existence. They started out pretty average and went south. Defenses that suck don't get the kind of nicknames you want to keep.

I am absolutely certain we've turned a corner and we're on the rise. Despite that I think it's too early to be talking nickname. Talking respectable has to come first.

Besides, the really good nicknames just happen. Nobody brainstorms on a message board and comes up with a lasting and fitting nickname.
What do you have against my "Oscar Mayer" idea? It's catchy, EVERYBODY knows it. And if we STILL suck, there's always the weenie thing to fall back on!!! It's a lot better idea than that receiver thread I started.

TEXANRED
07-11-2006, 06:33 PM
N.A.B.A.L.Y.

NOT AS BAD AS LAST YEAR.

We have a very NABALY D.

Hardcore Texan
07-11-2006, 07:00 PM
How about "The Mean Blue Machine", I am so kidding...I got nothing, but we could be the "The Blue Flush" until we prove otherwise....serouisly nothing.

AFD1717
07-11-2006, 07:13 PM
"The Hornys?" I guess that could go another way.

P.S. - you guys that keep posting that the defense needs to earn a nickname need to lighten up. Obviously you are right, but its July and we don't have anything else to talk about.

The Pencil Neck
07-11-2006, 07:37 PM
I like both "Bull Rush" and "Stampede". What I like even more is calling Mario-"Super Mario". Perhaps, a video game reference can used to describe to whole defense or even certain players. For example, "Space Invaders","The Defenders", etc. Just a thought!

I thought Ricky Williams was the Spaced Invader.

DocBar
07-11-2006, 07:42 PM
I thought Ricky Williams was the Spaced Invader.
Nah!!! He's the little engine that could. Tokechugachugatokechugachuga

Second Honeymoon
07-11-2006, 07:44 PM
The Mario Brothers

I don't like many of the others suggested, but I think The Bull Rush or (Crush)is about as good as I heard. If you want to use a videogame term you could go with Mario's Zerg.

doug from the woodlands

HomeBred_Texan
07-11-2006, 08:05 PM
Put me on the band wagon that we do not name them until we see something. They MUST show an identity to be named one. All I have seen so far is swiss cheese like someone else saw.

NoBullTexan
07-11-2006, 11:27 PM
You can't have a nickname until you've earned it. Be patient. When it is ready, it will arrive of its own accord.

TexansSeminole
07-11-2006, 11:34 PM
Some of these names sound so corny. The nickname will be made at the right time. Maybe in Mario's third year when he sacks Peyon 4 times in one game and the announcer says something that sounds catchy and it sticks. Kind of like how Bill Worell did with stevie franchise, Cuttino the cat, except with our whole defense.

South Texan
07-12-2006, 01:41 AM
How about if they bust, we call them the Dead Squad and if they live up to expectations, the Death Squad... or would that be considered overkill?:tease:

KingRat
07-12-2006, 08:54 AM
The "Bull Rush"

MAD BULL RUSH

had it in my head when I checked out the thread, good call EyeGuy

powerfuldragon
07-12-2006, 09:03 AM
Some of these names sound so corny.

Yes.

Hardcore Texan
07-12-2006, 09:31 AM
Some of these names sound so corny. The nickname will be made at the right time. Maybe in Mario's third year when he sacks Peyon 4 times in one game and the announcer says something that sounds catchy and it sticks. Kind of like how Bill Worell did with stevie franchise, Cuttino the cat, except with our whole defense.

I was being corny on purpose....good nicknames will come on their own, at least the ones that stick, but this thread is funny and what else is their to talk about in the middle of July.

GP
07-12-2006, 09:38 AM
Super Mario's World.

Can you see dozens of banners on the wall that depict various Texans defenders jumping or throwing fire onto turtles and mushrooms that have other teams' logos on them?

bigtex77
07-12-2006, 09:49 AM
Super Mario's World.

Can you see dozens of banners on the wall that depict various Texans defenders jumping or throwing fire onto turtles and mushrooms that have other teams' logos on them?

No offense, I can see it in my mind, and I never ever want to see it in reality.

GP
07-12-2006, 02:26 PM
No offense, I can see it in my mind, and I never ever want to see it in reality.

Why not?

I could see us playing the little sounbites over the loudspeaker when he sacks someone: The "donk-donk-donk" of the fireballs being thrown...The little squishy noise when you hop on a turtle or mushroom.

The idea has merit.

Kids would looooooooooooove it, and the way to a daddy's wallet is right through his kids. I can see kids (and geeks) dressing up as Mario or other characters from the game.

Nintendo and Mario could swing a huge endorsement deal. Think of all the items the Texans and Nintendo could sell.

Commercials featuring both Marios (The one from the game, and our Mario of course) would be the same sort of gimmickry that Larry Johnson of the Charlotte Hornets had going with his Grandmama act.

Of course it "looks" silly, but that's the point. A ferocious NFL defender zapping QBs like turtles and mushrooms.

That idea has way more pizzazz than the 1,000 "cow" or "bull" or other Texas-related gimmickry ideas that are floating around. That stuff is definitely cheesey to anyone outside of Texas. Nintendo and Mario is the most savvy way to go if we want to promote Mario, our team, and to build widespread audience.

DocBar
07-12-2006, 02:39 PM
:sarcasm: Why not?

I could see us playing the little sounbites over the loudspeaker when he sacks someone: The "donk-donk-donk" of the fireballs being thrown...The little squishy noise when you hop on a turtle or mushroom.

The idea has merit.

Kids would looooooooooooove it, and the way to a daddy's wallet is right through his kids. I can see kids (and geeks) dressing up as Mario or other characters from the game.

Nintendo and Mario could swing a huge endorsement deal. Think of all the items the Texans and Nintendo could sell.

Commercials featuring both Marios (The one from the game, and our Mario of course) would be the same sort of gimmickry that Larry Johnson of the Charlotte Hornets had going with his Grandmama act.

Of course it "looks" silly, but that's the point. A ferocious NFL defender zapping QBs like turtles and mushrooms.

That idea has way more pizzazz than the 1,000 "cow" or "bull" or other Texas-related gimmickry ideas that are floating around. That stuff is definitely cheesey to anyone outside of Texas. Nintendo and Mario is the most savvy way to go if we want to promote Mario, our team, and to build widespread audience.
We're talkin about football here, not some kids game!!!!:sarcasm:

GP
07-12-2006, 02:55 PM
We're talkin about football here, not some kids game!!!!

I'll take that as sarcasm, correct?

As in "football IS a kids game"

We're a team who doesn't really have any identity yet. Green Bay has got the cheeseheads and the Lambeau Leap. Denver has got the Barrel Man. Jets have that crazy fireman guy on his brother's shoulders.

We can have Super Mario with all the gimmickry asociated with it.

I for one would loooooove to see us have a big banner with Bud Adams' face airbrushed onto the Bowser character. H-i-l-a-r-i-o-u-s. It would look like some sort of bloated Yoda in a pale blue leisure suit.

powerfuldragon
07-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Ooh, i've got a few good ones:

the bulletproof busters.

the cat man pants

the doggers.

the houseshoe slappers.

the mechanics.

the jeanpants computerbrains.

the ICY HOT STUNTAZ.

the Border Patrol.

La Migra (i'm actually serious about this one)

The iced creams.

The Pencil Neck
07-12-2006, 03:01 PM
I'll take that as sarcasm, correct?

As in "football IS a kids game"

Huh?

Dude.

Football ain't no damn GAME. It's a Religion.

KingRat
07-14-2006, 04:01 PM
Why not?

The idea has merit.

can't agree with squishy noises during the game, but Nintendo really misses a golden opportunity if they don't try to set something up

Texans>Colts
07-14-2006, 04:21 PM
32nd franchise, 32nd defense?

:perfect10: :rofl: