PDA

View Full Version : What does Kornheiser bring to MNF ?

nunusguy
07-07-2006, 11:24 PM
I watch PTI on ESPN and wonder what Tony Kornheiser, who may be Jewish and from New York like Howard Cosell, wonder what more he has in common with the late Cosell to make a contribution to the upcoming ESPN MNF telecasts ?
OK, he's got some of the abrasive, obnoxious schtick that Cosell had going on,
but does he know anything about football ? His sidekick Wilbon on PTI has to repeatedly explain too much simple football info to him to leave me with any faith that he can bring any useful knowledge to the subject on the new, upcoming ESPN version of MNF. I'm just left with the thought that he got the job because of office politics at ESPN.

WiiBrawler
07-07-2006, 11:29 PM
I watch PTI on ESPN and wonder what Tony Kornheiser, who may be Jewish and from New York like Howard Cosell, wonder what more he has in common with the late Cosell to make a contribution to the upcoming ESPN MNF telecasts ?
but does he know anything about football ? His sidekick Wilbon on PTI has to repeatedly explain too much simple football info to him to leave me with any faith that he can bring any useful knowledge to the subject on the new, upcoming ESPN version of MNF. I'm just left with the thought that he got the job because of office politics at ESPN.

Crap thats what he brings, Monday Night Football shouldnt have changed stations with Sunday Night, MNF is destined to be on ABC

TexanFan881
07-07-2006, 11:46 PM
I don't think his career on Monday Night football is going to go too well...but good luck to him none the less :thumbup He doesn't seem like a very good live announcer for MNF but I think he does a good job with PTI, so we'll see.

Hutch13
07-08-2006, 12:49 AM
maybe he will say Good Night Canada! like what he does on PTI. Just a thought

Kaiser Toro
07-08-2006, 01:52 AM
Good question. I like TK, but am not sure if he is MNF material. Time will tell, but am willing to give it a whirl.

DRIFTAWAY
07-08-2006, 02:12 AM
Good question. I like TK, but am not sure if he is MNF material. Time will tell, but am willing to give it a whirl.

I didn't even like him on PTI

Ihategeeks
07-08-2006, 02:53 AM
TK cracks me up...... Atleast I'll be frequently entertained.

He isn't stuck up. He'll point out babes in the crowd. When Thiesman says something stupid, he'll be right on top of it.

This is going to rule ! RUUUUUUUUUULE!!!

Huge
07-08-2006, 11:31 AM
I liked his ESPN radio show and I like PTI. So I'll be open minded about this gig.

Hopefully he lasts longer than Theisman.

TexanSam
07-08-2006, 11:51 AM
I like Kornheiser and I love PTI. I'm not sure how much football he knows about, but I'll wait and find out.

pittbull
07-08-2006, 11:53 AM
MNF wanted someone that has quick humor like dennis miller, but yet knows sports. Kornheiser knows sports and will be able to keep up with the game without having to look in the ESPN sports almanac to know history of the game and what is going on. He'll do ok. Really, I could care less though. I turn down the volume anyway.

nunusguy
07-08-2006, 12:51 PM
There will never be another Howard Cosell. Many detested him, I was on the other side of the fence and thought he was a uniquely talented and entertaining personality in the world of sports. And a brilliant man.
The combo of him and "Dandy Don" was one for the ages. And yet MNF was just one niche of many that Cosell traveled in.
But back to Kornheiser. If they insist on putting him in the lineup, maybe they should bring along his buddy Wilbon ? The thing is Theisman is not very strong and his insight and overall smarts aren't top drawer IMO.
The team of K & W would have to tone down their loud, boistrous dialogue for
the MNF shows and concentrate more on business and less on insulting each other. But they obviously have the chemistry and appear to genuinely enjoy each others company, most of the time. I definitely can't see Konheiser and Theisaman clicking.

Maddict5
07-08-2006, 09:40 PM

i think he'll fit right in:francis:

aj.
07-08-2006, 09:49 PM
I read somewhere recently that he's not preparing anything. His role is that of a fan, asking questions and making observations that some guy on a couch at home might be doing at the same time. With one guy doing play by play, and the other talking about how it was when he was in the league - 25 years ago - it should work. It's MacGuire's role with a different personality.

swisher
07-08-2006, 11:47 PM
I'm looking forward to it....then again I am the one guy who loved Dennis Miller on MNF.

Kaiser Toro
07-09-2006, 09:49 AM
There will never be another Howard Cosell. Many detested him, I was on the other side of the fence and thought he was a uniquely talented and entertaining personality in the world of sports. And a brilliant man.
The combo of him and "Dandy Don" was one for the ages. And yet MNF was just one niche of many that Cosell traveled in.
But back to Kornheiser. If they insist on putting him in the lineup, maybe they should bring along his buddy Wilbon ? The thing is Theisman is not very strong and his insight and overall smarts aren't top drawer IMO.
The team of K & W would have to tone down their loud, boistrous dialogue for
the MNF shows and concentrate more on business and less on insulting each other. But they obviously have the chemistry and appear to genuinely enjoy each others company, most of the time. I definitely can't see Konheiser and Theisaman clicking.

I was a huge Cosell fan growing up and to this day will stop and listen or watch anything pertaining to him.

19-10
10-17-2006, 12:31 PM
I can barely listen to he and Theissman argue and bicker like my two kids that are 9 & 7. I was ready to here Joe say nana nana boo boo, I told you so last night. Joe is bad enough but he did have a great NFL career and knows football. TK is just horrible, looks and sounds like a little weasel and adds nothing to the mix worthwhile. Why do you need 3 in the booth? Why aren't there 3 people that can do a good job together? Why is ESPN showing Jay-Z videos???????????? Oh the things you worry about when your team sucks

hollywood_texan
10-17-2006, 12:36 PM
Cornhole needs to go!

Scooter
10-17-2006, 01:31 PM
i like him on PTI where he's paid to be brash & arguementative. as a broadcaster, he's absolutely terrible. and theisman is still a moron.

Mr teX
10-17-2006, 01:33 PM
Boo Boo Commentary/Analysis:bananasplit:

MightyTExan
10-17-2006, 01:37 PM
He brings manlove to MNF. I think he called Grossman- "Rexy".

edo783
10-17-2006, 03:06 PM
I'm good with Kornhieser, he doesn't seem to bug me like he does some folks. Joe on the other hand makes me want to throw a shoe at the TV to shut him up.

texan279
10-17-2006, 03:16 PM
He brings ignorance...:lightbulb:

TexansLucky13
10-17-2006, 03:17 PM
I don't like him. To me he is just a big joke. He belongs on PTI, that's about it.

texan279
10-17-2006, 03:25 PM
I like Kornheiser in the booth so far...Theisman is a moron with a high tool factor. "How hard is it to throw the ball in the rain Joe?" "It's easier Tony"....silence. Ooookkkkaaayyy.

Yeah I couldn't figure that one out. I was expecting him to talk about how the ball gets slippery and is hard to handle in the rain and he says that, I was like did he just say what I think he said?

mexican_texan
10-17-2006, 04:09 PM
He's the comic relief.

kastofsna
10-17-2006, 04:13 PM
kornheiser is doing what i pretty much expected. i got no problem with him.

theismann is a complete moron, however. how could a former QB know so little about football?

real
10-17-2006, 04:57 PM
I like Kornheiser....I don't like Theisman much though....

IMO, they'd have done better with another "football" guy...Theisman is so full of himslef...

Bubbajwp
10-17-2006, 07:49 PM
I liked him on PTI. But some of the comments he makes on MNF are just stupid to me.

Speedy
10-17-2006, 08:17 PM
Didn't Cornhole say last night that if the Bears came back to win, he'd give up his seat to the Chuckster?? Do it already. And take Theesman with you.

PapaL
10-17-2006, 09:32 PM
I enjoy him on MNF, would watch more if it wasn't on so dang late. He's doing exactly what I expected and am loving it. The part with Barkley last night was good. Can we get rid of Theisman and put Barkley in there?

run-david-run
10-19-2006, 11:42 AM
I really dont like Theisma. TK is ok, nothing too special, but Joe is an *****. On the subject of the wet ball/glove thing in Denver, he first says its easy to throw with a wet ball, then when someone made a crapy pass, he excused it by saying it was hard to throw with a wet ball....*****.