PDA

View Full Version : Jay Cutler

texan279
07-06-2006, 11:02 PM
from www.kffl.com

Broncos | Cutler struggling; not pressing Plummer
Thu, 6 Jul 2006 16:38:21 -0700

ESPN reports Denver Broncos rookie QB Jay Cutler is struggling with the team's offense. He does not appear close to challenging QB Jake Plummer for the No. 1 quarterback spot.

WildBlackBear32
07-06-2006, 11:59 PM
Who really thought he would be challenging Plummer for the spot this year?

texan279
07-07-2006, 12:37 AM
Who really thought he would be challenging Plummer for the spot this year?

Well guys like Skip Clueless and others had him ranked as the #1 QB coming out of the draft, not saying he should be pushing for the starting spot, but he should at least be somewhat getting the hang of the offense by now...

thunderkyss
07-07-2006, 07:43 AM
I'm waiting for the report saying Matt Lienart is challenging Kurt Warner for that job, before I put any weight to this story.

Until then, it means absolutely nothing.

texan279
07-07-2006, 08:28 AM
I'm waiting for the report saying Matt Lienart is challenging Kurt Warner for that job, before I put any weight to this story.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2486744

Leinart is technically in a battle with John Navarre to back up Warner, but there seems little doubt that the rookie from USC is expected to nail down the No. 2 job.

"I think he's further along than most first-year quarterbacks would be," coach Dennis Green said. "He's worked with the two-minute offense, he's worked with a lot of things. Part of that is he comes out of a good pro passing system, part of it is that he is a very talented player when he was in that pro passing offense, and then he's a quick study."

While the plan is to groom Leinart, no one would be surprised if he wound up in the starting lineup at some point this year.

real
07-07-2006, 08:40 AM
that would be awesome...

Hulk75
07-07-2006, 09:17 AM

Acctually it means he is strugling with the Offense.

I happened to get NFL Network for the Direct TV yesterday and they showed the Broncos vs Patriots Playoff game last year, and they showed many times were they had to tell Jake to stay with his progressions cause the guy he did not look at was open. Then the fade on 4th and goal was not Shanahans call Jake wanted to throw it and throw it well over the WRs head.

You could tell that they were frustrated just a little with his desicion making during the playoffs, THUS Jay Cutler pick.

Remember what Carr said about this Offense, you do what they ask you to do and go through your progressions like they ask you to and this Offense will do some great things.

But the Offense does not work when you try to do your own thing, every now and again.

thunderkyss
07-07-2006, 11:55 AM
Leinart is technically in a battle with John Navarre to back up Warner, but there seems little doubt that the rookie from USC is expected to nail down the No. 2 job.

"I think he's further along than most first-year quarterbacks would be," coach Dennis Green said. "He's worked with the two-minute offense, he's worked with a lot of things. Part of that is he comes out of a good pro passing system, part of it is that he is a very talented player when he was in that pro passing offense, and then he's a quick study."

While the plan is to groom Leinart, no one would be surprised if he wound up in the starting lineup at some point this year.http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2486744

I take that to mean that Matt isn't close to challenging Warner for the starting job.

Unless you've got quotes of Shanahan saying he's disappointed in Cutler.

texan279
07-07-2006, 11:56 AM
I take that to mean that Matt isn't close to challenging Warner for the starting job.

What does Leinart challenging for the #1 spot have to do with Shanahan being disappointed in Cutler?

HOU-TEX
07-07-2006, 12:02 PM

It doesn't really matter if he's competing for #1, because Warners going to get hurt as usual and Matt will be #1 anyways.:rofl: :)

El Tejano
07-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Okay just what if here.

If Carr ends up not doing well and Cutler beats Van Pelt out of #2. Do we look for a deal to get Van Pelt?

TexansSeminole
07-07-2006, 02:45 PM
Okay just what if here.

If Carr ends up not doing well and Cutler beats Van Pelt out of #2. Do we look for a deal to get Van Pelt?

What?

No...anyway I see Cutler as a quarterback that is going to need some time before starting, and Plummer will probably get the starting job for the season considering he took the team to the playoffs last year. Unless something horrible happens to Plummer, Cutler will be on the bench.

thunderkyss
07-07-2006, 03:11 PM
What does Leinart challenging for the #1 spot have to do with Shanahan being disappointed in Cutler?

Big deal that Cutler doesn't appear to be challenging Plummer for the #1 spot. He wasn't brought in for that reason....... They drafted him as a future replacement, just like Lienart has no chance of beating Warner for the starting spot...... not now, not in Training Camp, and not as the season progresses.

The only way either of them will see playing time, is if the main guy goes down.

D-Vizzl
07-07-2006, 03:57 PM
This only tells me that I maybe should expect improvement from Carr, but not much,since Kubiak had a hand in Plummers "success" which seems to had been mimimal

hollywood_texan
07-07-2006, 04:44 PM
Acctually it means he is strugling with the Offense.

I happened to get NFL Network for the Direct TV yesterday and they showed the Broncos vs Patriots Playoff game last year, and they showed many times were they had to tell Jake to stay with his progressions cause the guy he did not look at was open. Then the fade on 4th and goal was not Shanahans call Jake wanted to throw it and throw it well over the WRs head.

You could tell that they were frustrated just a little with his desicion making during the playoffs, THUS Jay Cutler pick.

Remember what Carr said about this Offense, you do what they ask you to do and go through your progressions like they ask you to and this Offense will do some great things.

But the Offense does not work when you try to do your own thing, every now and again.

Interesting, you say Denver is frustrated with Plummer because he made poor decisions in the playoffs

That is the same knock on Carr.

Carr can say whatever he wants. You can look back the last two off seasons and he says good things. What matters is on the field.

I though this thread was about Cutler anyway.

Hulk75
07-07-2006, 04:50 PM
You make me laugh!

"THE KNOCK", on him as you put it, were did you here that........Have a link?

I got my stuff straight from the horses mouth, Shanahan on TV.

And bro, this thread was about Jay and Jake.

I gave Carrs approval of the Offense and how Jake likes to vier off and do his own thing sometimes.

And if Carrs desicion making was so bad why pass on Matt, VY AND JAY CUTLER? The Broncos took Jay and we passed on him...............interesting.

hollywood_texan
07-07-2006, 05:04 PM
You make me laugh!

"THE KNOCK", on him as you put it, were did you here that........Have a link?

I got my stuff straight from the horses mouth, Shanahan on TV.

And bro, this thread was about Jay and Jake.

I gave Carrs approval of the Offense and how Jake likes to vier off and do his own thing sometimes.

And if Carrs desicion making was so bad why pass on Matt, VY AND JAY CUTLER? The Broncos took Jay and we passed on him...............interesting.

Here is the scouting report from ESPN insider...

He is solid mechanically in his set-up - shows solid quickness to the throwing point and shows excellent release quickness. He is a smart QB that doesn't always make the best decisions, but he does know where the ball is supposed to go. He shows excellent toughness, can take a beating but will get up quickly after taking a hit. He shows excellent toughness to stand in and beat the blitz. He has a little fire in his belly - has solid leadership skills and it is apparent that players on the team believe he is good enough to win for them. He is a deceptive athlete that is an above average run threat. He shows good quickness from the pocket when he decides to run. He has solid foot quickness to buy time in the pocket. He is the type of QB that can make a play rolling out of the pocket when things up front break down on him.

There ya go.

As I have said before (as well most other people), he has the physical skills, which Plummer has too, but these guys just can't seem to get it done.

They both have the same problem, poor decisions.

This scouting report is very glowing of Carr, but if he can't make good decisions, all the talent in the world isn't going to help or the Texans.

hollywood_texan
07-07-2006, 05:28 PM

The team had many holes to fill. If it would have been my call, I would have drafted Vince, but I can't argue with the decision of taking Mario Williams even though I wouldn't have called it.

Two things are critical in the NFL, a stout defense and reletentless running game. The first four picks in this years draft addressed that immensely in a way they have never done before in the previous four years.

As much as I bang on Carr, who else were they going to have if you don't go in the draft with one of three guys you mentioned? Aaron Brooks, Duante Culpepper, Joey Harrington, Kerry Collins, or whoever else. Ouch....

Just because they didn't draft a quarterback, doesn't mean they are totally sold on Carr. Maybe they thought there were bigger holes to fill first? Which I probably would agree with, but I think Vince is a one time guy that will be amazing and woud have been worth it.

To sum up, I am not sold Carr because I don't think he makes poor decisions, but it would be hard to find anyone better than him that were available at the time.

Huge
07-07-2006, 07:24 PM
A pair of overrated QBs battling it out. Should be (un)interesting.

cuppacoffee
07-07-2006, 09:16 PM
A pair of overrated QBs battling it out. Should be (un)interesting.

Your guys sign Collins yet. :rolleyes:

Should provide a little competiton for Henson...:stirpot:

:coffee:

YoungTexanFan
07-07-2006, 09:45 PM
I dont want to serve up anyones crow just yet, but I have been saying all along that Cutler would struggle and would not even come close to pushing plummer. Cutler is going to be the first "can't miss" QB washed out of the league from this years class. :twocents:

Huge
07-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Your guys sign Collins yet.

Should provide a little competiton for Henson...
Are we after Collins? I haven't heard anything about it. Seems like a Bledsoe clone so I guess it'd make some sense.

Looking forward to the NCAA season? Hate the Irish but college football is better off when they're doing well. http://www.nfl-fans.com/style_emoticons/default/pukeface.gif :)

texan279
07-09-2006, 12:08 AM
from www.kffl.com

Broncos | Cutler struggled during last camp
Fri, 7 Jul 2006 22:18:06 -0700

Andrew Mason, of DenverBroncos.com, reports Denver Broncos QB Jay Cutler struggled during the first day of the team's last camp. Cutler said, "I couldn't call the plays the very first day of the last camp; I didn't have a clue what was going on; I got the playbook the day before." During this minicamp, Cutler feels more confident and he added, "I think going into the seven-on-seven and the team periods, I was a little uneasy about the snap count, getting the snap and what was going on, but at this camp, I feel a lot more confident under center." Head coach Mike Shanahan said, "He's done a good job (but) there's a big learning curve."

DominickDavisFan76
07-09-2006, 09:46 AM
Matt Leinart is only competing with John Navarre, the 6th round pick out of Michigan.....I thought Leinart was taken in the 1st? I thought he would have flown right passed Navarre.

texan279
07-09-2006, 11:21 AM
from www.kffl.com

Broncos | Shanahan has no particular thing in mind for Cutler to learn
Sun, 9 Jul 2006 05:55:58 -0700

Adrian Dater, of the Denver Post, reports Denver Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan was asked if he had one thing in mind for rookie QB Jay Cutler to master by the end of training camp. "There's not one thing, there's so many things to learn as a quarterback. It's a process," Shanahan said. "Offenses, defenses, different terminology, different schemes; you just take some time. He's just got to get better and better every day. He's worked extremely hard. He's going to have some good days and bad days, and he's got to fight through it, like the great ones have done it in the past. Hopefully, he can get to the next level."

nunusguy
07-09-2006, 12:45 PM
I dont want to serve up anyones crow just yet, but I have been saying all along that Cutler would struggle and would not even come close to pushing plummer. Cutler is going to be the first "can't miss" QB washed out of the league from this years class. :twocents:
You're not serious are you ?
The first season for this rookie QB is only in its most preliminary stages with
not even the official beginning of TC yet.
And Plummer has been in the league as a starter for what, 7 to 10 years ?
And he's started and played games in the playoffs.
Little bit premature to write the epitaph on Cutler.

thunderkyss
07-09-2006, 06:31 PM
You're not serious are you ?
The first season for this rookie QB is only in its most preliminary stages with
not even the official beginning of TC yet.
And Plummer has been in the league as a starter for what, 7 to 10 years ?
And he's started and played games in the playoffs.
Little bit premature to write the epitaph on Cutler.

I agree.......... I really don't know what the point of this thread is...... you'd think Cutler was drafted #1 overall, or was the first QB taken over some other favorites, or had been in the league for four years, and was having trouble learnin the basics.......

cuppacoffee
07-09-2006, 09:23 PM
Are we after Collins? I haven't heard anything about it. Seems like a Bledsoe clone so I guess it'd make some sense.

Looking forward to the NCAA season? Hate the Irish but college football is better off when they're doing well. http://www.nfl-fans.com/style_emoticons/default/pukeface.gif :)

There is a lot of similarity in being an Irish fan or Boy fan.

Most people either love them or hate them. Not much in between.

Tuna seems to like the Irish. JJ and Fasano will shine.

:hunter: If he goes after Quinn next year.

I read 'somewhere' that the boys might be interested in Collins but forget where it was..sorry.

texan279
07-09-2006, 10:04 PM
I agree.......... I really don't know what the point of this thread is...... you'd think Cutler was drafted #1 overall, or was the first QB taken over some other favorites, or had been in the league for four years, and was having trouble learnin the basics.......

The point is that some people had Cutler rated as the #1 quarterback in the draft and he is having problems learning Denver's offense...

thunderkyss
07-10-2006, 07:27 AM
There is a lot of similarity in being an Irish fan or Boy fan.

Most people either love them or hate them. Not much in between.

Tuna seems to like the Irish. JJ and Fasano will shine.

:hunter: If he goes after Quinn next year.

I read 'somewhere' that the boys might be interested in Collins but forget where it was..sorry.

Isn't there some kinda Parcells to Weiss connection?? I know he Picked up JJ before Weiss got there, but still.

cuppacoffee
07-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Isn't there some kinda Parcells to Weiss connection?? I know he Picked up JJ before Weiss got there, but still.

"In '90, Weis launched his professional coaching career with the Giants when he was named defensive assistant and assistant special teams coach under Giants head coach Bill Parcells. The Giants went on to win the Super Bowl that season, edging the Buffalo Bills, 20-19.

Weis then began a four-year stint with the New England Patriots, where he once again served under Parcells. For the first two years, Weis served as tight ends' coach ('93-'94), developing TE Ben Coates into a Pro Bowl selection in 1994. The next year Weis served as running backs coach ('95), where he lobbied to draft RB Curtis Martin and promptly developed the rookie sensation, coaching Martin to the 1995 Pro Bowl and a 1,400 rushing season.

Martin was also named Rookie of the Year. In 1996, Weis served as receivers coach, where he continued his trend of successful development of players, developing WR Terry Glenn into an 1,100 yard receiver as a rookie.

When Parcells left New England following the 1996 season, Weis once again followed his mentor to the New York Jets. At new York, Weis served his first year as wide receivers coach ('96), where he developed WR Keyshawn Johnson. Under Weis' coaching, Johnson become a back-to-back Pro-Bowler in '97 and '98. In 1997, Weis became the offensive coordinator of the Jets, in addition to being the primary receivers coach. In his second year as Offensive coordinator, the New York Jets finished fourth in the National Football League in offense. Weis served as the team's offensive coordinator from 1997 to '99."

Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Weis)

Charlie Weis Head coach of the Fighting Irish. :bowdown:

Can you tell I am a Charlie Weis fan?

I think it is safe to say that Parcells success has a lot to do with hiring good assistants. I also think there is a Bellichick connection there when they all coached on the Jets. But I could be wrong on that.

Glad to assist a fellow Port Arthur native.

TwinSisters
07-10-2006, 11:56 AM
yeah we have Chris Palmer in there too ( from Parcells' reign )

Tulip
07-10-2006, 01:39 PM
I think expectations about Cutler were entirely too high. There's always the one player at the combine who shoots up the charts due to nothing tangible - just buzz. This year it was Jay Cutler.

I thought Cutler would catch a break even after being drafted too high because Shanahan doesn't need (or at least he doesn't think he needs) a perennial Pro Bowl QB. (Of course, someone needs to ask him how many Super Bowls he has won since the Broncos' Hall of Fame QB retired).

HOOK'EM
07-10-2006, 10:34 PM
I wonder if he is strugglin' as much a V. Young?