PDA

View Full Version : Demeco Ryans Signed

texanfan2002114
07-06-2006, 10:13 PM
signing his deal according to Mark Berman on Fox 26 tonight here in houston. While one of the stories going on Mark took a call on his cell and reported it right at the end. He said the deal could be done as soon as tomorrow.

ArlingtonTexan
07-06-2006, 10:30 PM
good...he is the only one with any business thinking about holding out

AFD1717
07-06-2006, 10:44 PM
With all we've heard about Ryans' intelligence, I'm sure he understands how important it is to get to camp on time. He won't cry over nickles. This guy is going to be a fan favorite for years to come.

edo783
07-06-2006, 10:48 PM
A good and important signing for the team. As usual, the Texans seem to be lining up their drafties as fast or faster than just about any other team.

mexican_texan
07-06-2006, 11:22 PM
A good and important signing for the team. As usual, the Texans seem to be lining up their drafties as fast or faster than just about any other team.
The Bears have already signed all their picks and I think we have at least two guys to go.

Texans Pride
07-06-2006, 11:36 PM

I do like how quickly we act with our players, that is, as long as we are not overpaying so quickly for our players.

Texans Pride
07-06-2006, 11:36 PM
signing his deal according to Mark Berman on Fox 26 tonight here in houston. While one of the stories going on Mark took a call on his cell and reported it right at the end. He said the deal could be done as soon as tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up Steve!

hollywood_texan
07-07-2006, 01:57 AM
This guy is going to be a fan favorite for years to come.

I like that call!

HeroTime
07-07-2006, 07:04 AM
The Bears have already signed all their picks and I think we have at least two guys to go.My info has Mario as the only 1st round pick signed so far. Where you get your info from?

texanfan2002114
07-07-2006, 08:35 AM
My info has Mario as the only 1st round pick signed so far. Where you get your info from?

I know that i saw of Fox last week sometime that Berman said that Owen Daniels and Wali Lundy had signed or were close to signing. I will try to find a link.

El Tejano
07-07-2006, 08:39 AM
They did sign. That leaves us Winston and Spencer.

Lucky
07-07-2006, 08:48 AM
My info has Mario as the only 1st round pick signed so far. Where you get your info from?
Da Bears didn't own a 1st round pick after a draft day trade with Buffalo. It's a little easier to get all of your picks signed when you don't have to ink a 1st rounder.

El Tejano
07-07-2006, 09:01 AM
I think when we see things like our team not having a problem with signing players alot of it has to be attributed to the fact our #1 pick is always signed right away.

Not to make this a Bush/Williams thread but you do see that our #1 pick has set the bar for the other picks to sign and get in.

If we got Bush he would still be holding out. This would probably mean the other agents for the other picks would want to see how much we want to spend also.

HOU-TEX
07-07-2006, 09:22 AM
I think when we see things like our team not having a problem with signing players alot of it has to be attributed to the fact our #1 pick is always signed right away.

Not to make this a Bush/Williams thread but you do see that our #1 pick has set the bar for the other picks to sign and get in.

If we got Bush he would still be holding out. This would probably mean the other agents for the other picks would want to see how much we want to spend also.

The funny thing is Bush probably won't come close to getting what Mario did. IMO, NO can't afford him. They'll probably include a goal bonus like they did Ricky Williams.:chicken:

El Tejano
07-07-2006, 09:34 AM
If I were them I would really be concerned about that hamstring. Seems like that could be a reoccuring issue.

To not make this a bush thread though. I just think that not only did they get signable player but 3 out of the six could've gone in the first round.

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
07-07-2006, 09:57 AM
Great news that Demeco is close to signing. Thanks for the info. Now that teams are starting to get draft picks signed I can't help but be pleased that we passed on Bush. Now don't read anything in to the statement. I'll be the first to admit that on that friday night while listening to sports radio I heard the news Mario was signed I was sooooooo mad.(I like everyone though Bush was the real deal) Now we have had months to break it down and discuss it I am convinced Kubs did the right thing taking Mario.(Though it will take years to convice some people) Now NO has a real problem and we don't. With all the changes taking place in the Texans org. a draft hold out (by your first rounder) would only be a distraction this club does not need to deal with.We get to go into TC with one think on the players mind WINNING learning Kubs sys. and compeating in every game. Man I can't wait for the season to begin. Thanks again for the info please post when the ink hits the paper.

MorKnolle
07-07-2006, 10:39 AM
Bush would have been signed by now if we took him at #1, they were supposed to be very close to a deal with him and about ready to sign him but they decided Mario was the guy they wanted more so they completed negotiations with him and signed him.

hollywood_texan
07-07-2006, 10:44 AM
Bush would have been signed by now if we took him at #1, they were supposed to be very close to a deal with him and about ready to sign him but they decided Mario was the guy they wanted more so they completed negotiations with him and signed him.

Believe nothing what you hear and only half of what you see.

If you believe they were close to signing Reggie, you probably believe Casserly left on his own. Do you think an owner of a team is going to say a guy wants too much money and hurt his chances in the draft and in negotiations? I think not, that is just bad business practice.

It's like an interview for job, there are white lies all over the place or just simply putting the spin on it by really saying nothing at.

Another rule, particularly here in Hollywood, perception is everything, reality is nothing.

Porky
07-07-2006, 10:51 AM
Great news that Demeco is close to signing. Thanks for the info. Now that teams are starting to get draft picks signed I can't help but be pleased that we passed on Bush. Now don't read anything in to the statement. I'll be the first to admit that on that friday night while listening to sports radio I heard the news Mario was signed I was sooooooo mad.(I like everyone though Bush was the real deal) Now we have had months to break it down and discuss it I am convinced Kubs did the right thing taking Mario.(Though it will take years to convice some people) Now NO has a real problem and we don't. With all the changes taking place in the Texans org. a draft hold out (by your first rounder) would only be a distraction this club does not need to deal with.We get to go into TC with one think on the players mind WINNING learning Kubs sys. and compeating in every game. Man I can't wait for the season to begin. Thanks again for the info please post when the ink hits the paper.

Bush would have been signed by Saturday morning if we had chosen him. We were very close on numbers 3 days before. the Texans were the ones who broke off negiotions, and signability had zero to do with us taking Mario. I still think Bush was the right choice but time will tell.

hollywood_texan
07-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Bush would have been signed by Saturday morning if we had chosen him. We were very close on numbers 3 days before. the Texans were the ones who broke off negiotions, and signability had zero to do with us taking Mario. I still think Bush was the right choice but time will tell.

I totally disagree. I think McNair didn't pick Bush for three reasons:

1. NCAA investigation, which has been very quiet. But this thing is going to heat up and get ugly in the next couple of months.

2. Couldn't get him signed - This is obvious. Never in Bush's career will he have leverage to negotiate a contract like he does now. James and Alexander went through many years in the league and being Franchised before they got a contract of $50 million plus. If Reggie doesn't live up to expectations, he will be taking a pay cut after his rookie contract. That is how the running back position is valued. On the other hand, Carr can play average the next three years and he will get a pay increase, go figure. QBs are harder to find and replace. RBs are a dime a dozen and you only need a 1,000 yard back or so to be competitive and can spend big money in other areas, say like defensive end.

3. We didn't need another RB - Reggie has amazing talent, but it isn't required to win a Super Bowl and there are other positions more difficult to fill, and likewise more expensive. Examples, left tackle, defensive end, quarterback, and I would also say a hard hitting safety that can play like a linebacker too.

Obvisously, McNair is never going to discuss items 1 and 2. That would be bad business etiquette and bad mouthing Bush.

Bush will not be signed by training camp, that is my prediction and I said it before the draft. There is three weeks left before training camp. I have tried to find updates, can someone please provide a link on Reggie's contract status.

MorKnolle
07-07-2006, 11:25 AM

1. NCAA investigation, which has been very quiet. But this thing is going to heat up and get ugly in the next couple of months.

2. Couldn't get him signed - This is obvious. Never in Bush's career will he have leverage to negotiate a contract like he does now. James and Alexander went through many years in the league and being Franchised before they got a contract of $50 million plus. If Reggie doesn't live up to expectations, he will be taking a pay cut after his rookie contract. That is how the running back position is valued. On the other hand, Carr can play average the next three years and he will get a pay increase, go figure. QBs are harder to find and replace. RBs are a dime a dozen and you only need a 1,000 yard back or so to be competitive and can spend big money in other areas, say like defensive end.

3. We didn't need another RB - Reggie has amazing talent, but it isn't required to win a Super Bowl and there are other positions more difficult to fill, and likewise more expensive. Examples, left tackle, defensive end, quarterback, and I would also say a hard hitting safety that can play like a linebacker too.

Obvisously, McNair is never going to discuss items 1 and 2. That would be bad business etiquette and bad mouthing Bush.

Bush will not be signed by training camp, that is my prediction and I said it before the draft. There is three weeks left before training camp. I have tried to find updates, can someone please provide a link on Reggie's contract status.

Gary Kubiak was the one that made the decision, McNair just had to sign off on it.

As for Reggie's contract status, he isn't signed as of now and that's about the only real news on it.

hollywood_texan
07-07-2006, 11:44 AM
Gary Kubiak was the one that made the decision, McNair just had to sign off on it.

McNair is a lot more involved in the decision making process than you think. He isn't just a rubber stamp.

There is an article about the Buchanon trade and how that whole thing was screwed up from the beginning. McNair said he was going to be intimately involved in all major decisions, albeit from a management perspective.

He used the words of "due diligence" on all major deals. The three points I listed are "due diligence" items McNair would address before signing off.

MorKnolle
07-07-2006, 11:50 AM
McNair is a lot more involved in the decision making process than you think. He isn't just a rubber stamp.

There is an article about the Buchanon trade and how that whole thing was screwed up from the beginning. McNair said he was going to be intimately involved in all major decisions, albeit from a management perspective.

He used the words of "due diligence" on all major deals. The three points I listed are "due diligence" items McNair would address before signing off.

Yes, McNair did have a say in it, but Kubiak and McNair are on the same page when it comes to building this team and bottom line if his coach really wanted one player over the other then McNair's going to make it happen.

DocBar
07-07-2006, 11:56 AM
Would any of you say that McNair is as hands on an owner as Snyder in the NFL or Mark Cuban in the NBA? I'm not sure where I fall on this subject. I like Cuban but can't stand Snyder( he just seems like a punk). Might be a good topic for a new thread.

hollywood_texan
07-07-2006, 11:57 AM
Yes, McNair did have a say in it, but Kubiak and McNair are on the same page when it comes to building this team and bottom line if his coach really wanted one player over the other then McNair's going to make it happen.

Well, maybe you are right. But, I have a different view on it though and think McNair is running more of the show, CEOs just don't lay back like that in my opinion.

More importantly though, it does appear Kubiak and McNair are the same page.

chuckm
07-07-2006, 11:57 AM
well I hate to get off topic, but it's good to hear that Ryans is close to signing ....

Porky
07-07-2006, 11:58 AM

You could be right on #1, and #3. I'm not sure we will ever know all of the behind the scenes details on those items. However, on #2, multiple sources indicated signability was not a factor. So, either numerous folks are lying, or you are wrong. I will go with the sources myself. :ok:

Brandon420tx
07-07-2006, 12:03 PM
well I hate to get off topic, but it's good to hear that Ryans is close to signing ....
Ironically, the thread had gone off topic, you just put it back.

Hardcore Texan
07-07-2006, 12:05 PM
Great news about Demeco! Let's get Spencer and Winston done too, it will be on and poppin'!!!!! :redtowel:

DocBar
07-07-2006, 12:07 PM
Well, maybe you are right. But, I have a different view on it though and think McNair is running more of the show, CEOs just don't lay back like that in my opinion.

More importantly though, it does appear Kubiak and McNair are the same page.
CEO's are prbably less proactive than you think. They surround themselves with talented people who do the hard stuff. A good manager doesn't have to be an expert in all aspects of a given job. He has to be an expert at picking experts and giving them the resources to accomplish the tasks they are given and manage the ego's that come with being an expert.

Brandon420tx
07-07-2006, 12:07 PM
The funny thing is Bush probably won't come close to getting what Mario did. IMO, NO can't afford him. They'll probably include a goal bonus like they did Ricky Williams.

I wouldn't take this option, especially if the reason the team did it is because of money problems, (I'm not being evil, just reasonable) because then the GM could just tell the coach to deliberately sabotage Bush of getting just short of his goal bonus (Not saying it will happen and not trying to start a conspiracy, but if a team decided they had to have this kind of contract for their star in order to afford him then they may decide to save a little money by making sure they don't have to empty the bank while still reaping the benifits) I'd feel safer with a little smaller contract of guaranteed money than a larger goal bonus one.

Sorry for continuing the off-topic discussion, forgive me.:brickwall

Great news about Demeco :redtowel: :redtowel: :redtowel:

hollywood_texan
07-07-2006, 12:16 PM
However, on #2, multiple sources indicated signability was not a factor. So, either numerous folks are lying, or you are wrong.

I don't think folks are lying. It's like Casserly leaving on his own. Everyone knows he had to hit the door.

There are just some things that are not discussed publicly because it is bad etiquette and can only hurt the other party in future negotiations. It likes playing :poker: .

But, even after saying that, you could be right, maybe they were really close. We may never know.

If you find a very credible source on this topic, I would like to hear it.

TFL
07-07-2006, 03:47 PM
It's official

The Texans made no secret about what their top priority in this year’s draft was. By spending the first overall selection on defensive end Mario Williams and their second pick on linebacker DeMeco Ryans, Houston put defense at the top of their offseason priority list. Friday, they waited no longer to make it official by inking Ryans and in the process becoming the only NFL team to have their top two picks under contract. It’s something that can’t be overstated according to Texans general manager Rick Smith.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2655

Historyhorn
07-07-2006, 04:10 PM
I too don't think we'll ever know about the signability of Bush, but Dan Reeves who was our consultant at the time indicated that Reggie was going to be VERY hard to sign.

In addition, Reggie was going to need to wring every last dollar out of this rookie contract that he could. His value as a RB will never be higher. Elite and proven RB's in the NFL have a hard time getting their blockbuster deals done.

The character and need issues may have been the driving force behind selecting Williams, but he ability to get him into camp on time was a factor in the thought process.

Go Texans

DocBar
07-07-2006, 04:32 PM
I don't think folks are lying. It's like Casserly leaving on his own. Everyone knows he had to hit the door.

There are just some things that are not discussed publicly because it is bad etiquette and can only hurt the other party in future negotiations. It likes playing :poker: .

But, even after saying that, you could be right, maybe they were really close. We may never know.

If you find a very credible source on this topic, I would like to hear it.
Etiquette and negotiation are big words coming from a guy with rock&roll stars on his avatar!!!! Other than that, good post!!!

bayoudreamn
07-07-2006, 05:43 PM
The Bears have already signed all their picks and I think we have at least two guys to go.

Is this accurate? I saw something on another thread, or this one...who knows, that said we have two of our picks signed and we are the first in the league to sign that many.

bayoudreamn
07-07-2006, 05:45 PM

Exactly! Way to go Saints....you guys keep running that franchise.

bayoudreamn
07-07-2006, 05:48 PM

I wouldn't necessarily count on that. Alot of things were said about that but there's no proof. I think it's just as likely a case of the Texans having seen the writing on the wall with Bush and backing out.

bayoudreamn
07-07-2006, 05:52 PM
Would any of you say that McNair is as hands on an owner as Snyder in the NFL or Mark Cuban in the NBA? I'm not sure where I fall on this subject. I like Cuban but can't stand Snyder( he just seems like a punk). Might be a good topic for a new thread.

McNair is involved with the big picture. He doesn't own a team in Dallas.

nunusguy
07-07-2006, 06:28 PM
I too don't think we'll ever know about the signability of Bush, but Dan Reeves who was our consultant at the time indicated that Reggie was going to be VERY hard to sign.
In addition, Reggie was going to need to wring every last dollar out of this rookie contract that he could. His value as a RB will never be higher. Elite and proven RB's in the NFL have a hard time getting their blockbuster deals done.
The character and need issues may have been the driving force behind selecting Williams, but he ability to get him into camp on time was a factor in the thought process.
Go Texans
I dunno, but I think how Bush does is going to be very interesting just to see if he's anything like many have claimed him to be. And don't ever
lose sight of one of his biggest assets, his versitility. Many have said he'd be
a 1st round, maybe even top 10 pick had he been just a WR. He may be rare
like the ESPN hype machine keeps saying ?
Then again he may not be. Perhaps just another Warren Dunn who is good,
but anything but one for the ages as many Bush fans say Reggie will be in the NFL ?

Texans Pride
07-07-2006, 08:18 PM
It's official

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2655

Could one of the mods please change the title of the thread to show that the deal is done?

Thanks guys, and thanks for the update TFL

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
07-07-2006, 08:34 PM
TFL thank you for the link its all good in Houston. Two down and more to come I hope before TC. Thank you for the info.

DocBar
07-07-2006, 09:58 PM
I love the term "nasty competitor". Gonna be a few opponents wearing their jocks around their ears after Ryans lays a lick on 'em.

TexanFan881
07-07-2006, 10:50 PM
I think we'll get everyone signed plenty fast...all we need to sign are Eric Winston, Charles Spencer, and David Anderson (he's definately going to have to earn his signing but I'm sure he'll get signed to get a chance to make the team).

Kaiser Toro
07-08-2006, 01:15 AM
In addition, Reggie was going to need to wring every last dollar out of this rookie contract that he could. His value as a RB will never be higher.

Agreed. Pretty much the reason why you pass on a RB or QB with the #1 in my opinion.

Kaiser Toro
07-08-2006, 01:17 AM
Extremely excited that Demeco is official. What was that Bogart line? "This is the beginning of something special." ????

TwinSisters
07-08-2006, 02:42 AM
Extremely excited that Demeco is official. What was that Bogart line? "This is the beginning of something special." ????

Dude. You just used Bogart and bogart in the same month. I am not sure that is legal.

:D

( at least I think it was you, I could be wrong though )
---

Does anybody know what he was signed for?? Or how long it is going to take before we know how much he was signed for?

Texans34Life
07-08-2006, 04:02 AM
Texans | Ryans' deal worth $5 million
Fri, 7 Jul 2006 22:46:58 -0700

Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Houston Texans rookie LB DeMeco Ryans' deal is a four-year, $5 million contract. Specific financial details were not disclosed.

beerlover
07-08-2006, 08:31 AM
very happy about the signing & the fact Rick Smith got his feet wet with such a positive beginning :)

just my rambling thoughts, these contracts in football seem like a steal compared to the other major sports leagues (NBA, MLB). for what the NFL players sacrifice and endure is certainly second to none, not to mention the fact these guys are freaks of nature in size, speed & strength.

maybe just maybe this is why the NFL has been so wildly successful the football players are more inline with working folks/the fans creating a closer relationship and more compassion from its constituency.

Demeco Ryans is an excellent signing, the Texans know what they're doing & the NFL continues to out maneuver its counterparts for the biggest share of the pie :money:

powerfuldragon
07-08-2006, 10:20 AM
Well, it's about time.

Kaiser Toro
07-08-2006, 11:59 AM
Dude. You just used Bogart and bogart in the same month. I am not sure that is legal.

:D

( at least I think it was you, I could be wrong though )
---

Does anybody know what he was signed for?? Or how long it is going to take before we know how much he was signed for?

I am a liberal, but only in that I liberally use the word Bogart and love change for the better.

TwinSisters
07-08-2006, 12:29 PM
Texans | Ryans' deal worth $5 million
Fri, 7 Jul 2006 22:46:58 -0700

Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Houston Texans rookie LB DeMeco Ryans' deal is a four-year, $5 million contract. Specific financial details were not disclosed.

That's not too bad then. Puts him in that million dollar man bracket though. ( not too sure how important that is with the new cap yet! Damn you inflation! Curse and bane to decency,normalcy, and currency. )

TwinSisters
07-08-2006, 12:59 PM
I am a liberal, but only in that I liberally use the word Bogart and love change for the better.

Understood, but understand that Bogart is an American classic like warm milk on a cold night. While bogart is a nuevo hot sauce that adds punch to break up the monotony. You have to have a reasonable amount of time between the use of the two, otherwise you get ulcers.

Example:

"Round up the usual suspects"
"don't bogart the log"

It's like drinking milk, chased by a bowl of chlitepins. You have to give the milk some time settle in, or you end up with a Bloody Sunday sized ulcer instead of a nice and creamy preacher's dream ( for the Alabama Ryan's tie-in! woot! )

DocBar
07-08-2006, 02:49 PM
Does Demeco have those crazy Mike Singletary eyes??? If not, maybe Mike would teach him how to do them. I think we've found our Singletary and he's gonna rock.

DocBar
07-08-2006, 02:54 PM
DeMeco Ryans

Position: Outside Linebacker
Drafted: Round 2, 33rd Overall
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 235
College: Alabama
Birthdate: July 28, 1984
NFL Comparison: D.J. Williams
Strengths: DeMeco Ryans, while not an awesome athlete, is a hearty competitor who plays smart and solid. He has good instincts, moves well laterally and has excellent pursuit. The 2005 SEC Defensive Player of the Year, Ryans is the kind of linebacker that makes plays and seems to be around the ball frequently. A smart player (he's a former All-Academic selection), he's a coachable film junkie with outstanding character. Ryans was the 2006 Cotton Bowl MVP after helping slow down Texas Tech's high-powered offense.

Areas of Concern: Ryans lacks straight line speed (he ran a 4.7/40) and explosion, plus the bulk to take on bigger blockers. He sometimes misses tackles and may have trouble if isolated on faster backs or slot receivers. His hands are questionable and he needs work as a blitzer, recording just 6.5 sacks in four years at Alabama.

2006 Expectations: With the Texans defensive alignment in flux, it is hard to say how much Ryans will see the field initially. He is expected to play on the outside and is a better fit in a 4-3 defense than in a 3-4, which will give him a leg up on some of the other linebacker options the Texans currently have.

by Bob Hulsey

YEAR G TAK TFL SACK FF FR
2005 12 76 16 5 1 2
2004 12 78 7 0 2 1
2003 13 126 8.5 1.5 1 1
2002 13 27 1.0 0 0 1
TOTALS 50 307 33 6.5 4 5

DeMeco Ryans
Home

Return to The War Room

rmartin65
07-10-2006, 06:01 PM
I missed a week due to vacation, but coming back and hearing this is nice!

CloakNNNdagger
07-11-2006, 12:05 PM
For all you numbers crunchers FYI from PFT:

RYAN'S DEAL HAS LOWER SIGNING BONUS THAN LAST YEAR

Continuing a trend that is the direct result of a $45,000 increase in the rookie minimum salary but only a five percent increase in the rookie pool, the deal signed by Texans second-round draft pick DeMeco Ryans pays out less signing bonus money than the contract signed by the player drafted in the same spot a year ago.

We've learned that Ryans, the first pick in round two, will receive a $1.425 million signing bonus on a four-year deal. Last year, the first pick in round two, 49ers center David Baas, was paid a $2 million dollar bonus on a five-year deal. Baas also received a $200,000 roster bonus in 2005 and an $800,000 option bonus in 2006, pushing the total bonus money to $3 million.

But Ryans' deal makes up the difference via other devices. Specifically, there's also a $650,000 one-time NLTBE based on minimum playing time and a team qualifier, and there's a $475,000 NLTBE roster bonus based on minimum playing time and a team qualifier, if Ryans is on the the Texans' roster the first day of the 2008 league year. (If the NLTBE incentives aren't reached, Ryans has more than $1.1 million in guaranteed salary from 2007 through 2009)

Including the NLTBE money, Ryans' total bonus is $2.55 million on a four-year deal, which averages out to $637,500 per year. For Baas, the per-year average on his bonus is only $600,000. Plus, Ryans is committed for one less year.

And Ryans also has more than $1 million in salary guarantees that apply if the NLTBE incentives aren't earned.

Ryans also can earn a 2009 salary escalator of up to $550,000 based on the number of years in which he participates in at least 90 percent of the defensive snaps. Baas can pump up to $2.2 million into his 2009 salary via a complex formula based on playing time and other qualifiers.