PDA

View Full Version : David Carr interview link

Texans_Chick
07-06-2006, 03:23 PM
Link to David Carr/Morning Crew interview from last week (http://odeo.com/audio/1437037/view)

I talk about this some in today's blog post: Link: David Carr: International Man of Mystery (http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2006/07/david_carr_international_man_o.html)

Personally, I don't participate in many David Carr is god/sucks threads because it is pointless and I think nobody really knows for sure--hence my international man of mystery tag on him.

If you haven't listened to that audio, it is worth listening to. It has info that hasn't been in other sources, or has just been rumored.

TwinSisters
07-06-2006, 03:29 PM
ahh thanks

I was just about to post a new Carr thread because the old was slipping to page two. I am not sure what is going on around here either? I guess everyone ate too much barbcue for the 4th and now they are slacking!!

:D

Texans_Chick
07-06-2006, 03:35 PM
Yeah, I didn't really want to do a Carr post on the blog but uh, given that it is a Texans blog, I am guessing I gotta do at least one.

DocBar
07-06-2006, 04:14 PM
Good article. I wish we could hear what the players REALLY thought of the old schemes/regime. Probably wouldn't be fit for a family environment such as this. LOL
The O-line is going to be a must-see thing in TC. I wouldn't be surprised to see a completely revamped one with Pitts being the only starter left from last year. :spy:

powerfuldragon
07-06-2006, 04:15 PM
Is there a transcript of it somewhere?

Hulk75
07-06-2006, 04:25 PM
really good stuff, he spoke out a lot, you know he has been wanting to speak up a little.

I am very exited about this year for him.

TwinSisters
07-06-2006, 04:26 PM
Is there a transcript of it somewhere?

yeah that's what I was looking for too!

valleytexfan
07-06-2006, 04:32 PM
nice blog, chick. I'm in South Texas but I look forward to reading your stuff online. 21 days until camp!!!!:yahoo:

powerfuldragon
07-06-2006, 04:58 PM
20 days till the depth charts.

hollywood_texan
07-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Everyone pace themselves, this is probably going to take 3 years or so, according to the blog chick. I came to that conclusion at the end of last season.

Amazing, 4 years and not much to show for it. But, we already knew that.

The last paragraph from the blog hit me in the gut. Ahhh, reality.

DocBar
07-06-2006, 05:35 PM
20 days till the depth charts.
AN ETERNITY!!!!! OH GOD!!!! THE HUMANITY OF IT ALL!!!!!

Texans_Chick
07-06-2006, 05:43 PM
Everyone pace themselves, this is probably going to take 3 years or so, according to the blog chick. I came to that conclusion at the end of last season.

Amazing, 4 years and not much to show for it. But, we already knew that.

The last paragraph from the blog hit me in the gut. Ahhh, reality.

It's just opinion. You never know how things are actually going to go until they play. That's the fun of it.

The four years didn't go for nothing. Adversity shows character. You aren't seeing any Texans skipping OTAs cuz they are pissed and want to win. And maybe finally they are getting a legit system that isn't cobbled together that will let them do that.

As for a transcript, I don't have one, but I do have some scribbled down half notes that I took when I was working on my blog item (typos and half thoughts with no guarantees of complete accuracy but better than a swift kick and with jokes about Sierra Plantation being close to Mexico omitted):

DAVID CARR:

David Carr remember everything that’s said in the offseason even if he wasn't paying attention to it. Heck yeah, it feeds him. Everybody on the team is pissed off and ready to play.

We hate losing more than the fans do. We take it home with us.

You can’t doubt yourself. I know I can play this game and play at a high level.

I’ve seen what happens with this offense if you buy in. Just got to plug into it. It raises everyone’s level of play. (AJs route running has been amazing).

Pendry—he was put in a tough situations—his offense didn’t mesh with Chris’s offense. He didn't seem comfortable

Pendry let Carr call plays against the Rams and Cards. I felt comfortable doing it. Wanted to give the guys who would stay with the team hope.

Two rookie linemen will contribute—Spencer is getting a lot of time. Stalemate with Mario.

Though there were some good picks in the past with the line, the team had no offensive scheme. Now they know what kinda of bodies they need for their system no matter what round.

Mario is kinda a quiet guy but got totally pumped at the All Access party where they were chanting his name. He felt like he belonged.

Fans will be excited when they see Mario play.

We were so behind the curve with the zone last year--you can tell with the coaching. Though the running backs have different abilities, you can really plug and play the RBs.

Kubiak said Carr was most improved. Carr interprets this as acknowledging his hard work.

There are multiple reads in the new offense—keeping eyes on the goal posts, instead of locking in on just one receiver

Kubiak has worked a lot with him on reading defenses--for example looking to see whether the linebackers are stepping up or back. Nobody in the past talked to him about these sorts of things.

Love Pendry and Palmer because of what they went through together, Greg Roman too, but Kubiak playing the position makes a difference.

Troy Calhoun is a genius. But doesn’t make it complicated for the WR.

Play action is going to be big in this offense. They are doing it well and sound—against the right defenses.

“I just want an opportunity to win football games.”

The biggest thing is the change in the scheme from last year.

So there you go.

Wolf
07-06-2006, 05:49 PM
that was much better than what I just read on www.texansrock.com

Submitted by Byran Farris on Tue, 2006-06-27 09:28.
610 AM Radio in Houston replayed a short interview with David Carr this morning from a charity golf tourney he was playing in yesterday. From the top of my head, here are a few take-aways

- David didn't realize how behind the curve they were in the zone blocking scheme until the new coaching staff arrived.

- Said he could definately see how Denver was able to "plug-n-play" multiple RB's in their systems. Expects the Texans to have a RB by committee approach.

- He is excited about the way Andre Johnson looks running his routes as well as the addition of a pass catching TE. (Billy Miller was a great safty net the 1st few years for Carr IMO)

- Carr called the plays in part of the later games in the year (1st half and Arizona and SF). We actually had some decent success in scored 24 points in the 1st half against Zona.

- Touched on the difference of the new coaching staff helping him on small things that he may have gotten away from since college. The 610 guys pushed him a little on this and Carr gave the example of "locking on" to WR's. Said they are working to look downfield at the goalposts instead of one side of the field. Carr mentioned picking up whether a team was in man-to-man by the 1st step of the LB's - If they step forward, the D is most likely in man-to-man because the LB has RB responsibility. They 610 guys pushed a little more on this basically asking if David had ever been taught to look for this....you could could tell he was a little uncomfortable, but the gist of his answer was NO. Having Kubiak, Calhoun, and Sherman working with Carr should do wonders IMO.

the wonger need food
07-06-2006, 05:52 PM
Those are the most in-depth responses we've gotten out of Carr in 5 years. Most of his previous comments seemed very boilerplate. It almost sounds like a huge weight has been lifted and he feels like he can repsond more openly.

Keep up the good work Stephanie. It's nice to be able to read something refreshing in what seems like the longest offseason ever.

hollywood_texan
07-06-2006, 06:18 PM
It's just opinion.

This is what you wrote:

Three years. And this is coming to a team that already knows the system. This is probably not what you want to hear, but "reality" is not just a mislabled, unwatchable type of television programming that spells the death of civilization as we know it.

I was merely living in reality and I agree with your last paragraph.

My point wasn't to dump all over your opinion but to point out the important perspective of that last paragraph and put a little historical context to it.

No offense Texans Chick (please don't take this personally), but I am a season ticketholder and I get the glossy stuff regularly, and I am getting a little tired of the words and the marketing fluff. However, on the topic of your coverage, including the points you posted to my response, good job! Please don't think I am shooting the messenger. It appears you take great pride in what you do and you seem to do it well.

DocBar
07-06-2006, 06:36 PM
Can you believe the kinds of things the last staff DID NOT do? How can you fail to work with your QB on reading things like the LB's stepping up or back and not locking onto a receiver, but looking downfield?Reading D's and NOT being read by the D are basics. Makes one wonder. Can McNair get any of Capers and Co.'s salary back for gross neglect and derliction of duty??
:stirpot:

El Tejano
07-06-2006, 06:47 PM
Can you believe the kinds of things the last staff DID NOT do? How can you fail to work with your QB on reading things like the LB's stepping up or back and not locking onto a receiver, but looking downfield?Reading D's and NOT being read by the D are basics. Makes one wonder. Can McNair get any of Capers and Co.'s salary back for gross neglect and derliction of duty??
:stirpot:
That was my first thought. I didn't clearly understand if the locking on to receivers was due to what the coaching wanted him to do or if he had the tendency to do that.

aj.
07-06-2006, 06:50 PM
The four years didn't go for nothing. Adversity shows character. You aren't seeing any Texans skipping OTAs cuz they are pissed and want to win.

You probably didn't see Texans skipping OTAs because there's new bosses to impress and new systems to learn ... although the "chip on the shoulder" offseason theme for returning Texans players makes for better drama - at least for now.

Hulk75
07-06-2006, 06:51 PM
That was my first thought. I didn't clearly understand if the locking on to receivers was due to what the coaching wanted him to do or if he had the tendency to do that.
He said the Offense they ran was a WR had to beat the coverage they through at the WR.
So he HAD to lock on to the guy to make sure he would beat him, he sounded like it was either watch the main reciever and if it does not work look to dump the football.

GREAT plan Chris!:(

.........the old scheme he had one read that he would tend to lock into.

DocBar
07-06-2006, 06:58 PM
Probably both. The guy has to be shellshocked after 208 sacks. I'd be locking onto my main target, too.

hollywood_texan
07-06-2006, 07:24 PM
Probably both. The guy has to be shellshocked after 208 sacks. I'd be locking onto my main target, too.

The discussion wouldn't be complete without the 3 second horn in the offseason last year. They basically explained the offensive pass strategy to the entire league.

DocBar
07-06-2006, 07:33 PM
The discussion wouldn't be complete without the 3 second horn in the offseason last year. They basically explained the offensive pass strategy to the entire league.
I forgot all about that. Thanks for the reminder

the wonger need food
07-06-2006, 07:34 PM

Did that really happen??? Are you sure we weren't in the Twilight Zone last season.

South Texan
07-06-2006, 07:45 PM
Looks like I am not the only one that sensed a bit of relief from David... kind of like when your mother-in-law leaves after a 4 year stay.

I also sensed some excitement... it sounds like the coaches are going to let him be a real quarterback this year.

Overall a very encourging piece, it wasn't just the usual rah-rah stuff folks want to hear, he can tell you convincingly why things will be much better this year.

This could be a really fun season! :drool:

hollywood_texan
07-06-2006, 08:02 PM
Did that really happen??? Are you sure we weren't in the Twilight Zone last season.

Yep, and I remember a quote from Carr saying he was doing so well in getting the throws off before the horn sounded or it never went off. I got the impression is was just in drills and not even against a pass rush in practice.

I think that was even on the website, maybe even in those fluff marketing pieces they send out to season ticket holders.

After reading that in the offseason and then watching the Dallas preseason game, it was evidently clear what was going on and the season was going to be ugly.

What is even more funny, I live in Hollywood and watch the games usually at different sports bars. Since LA has everybody here, there is just about every team represented in some kind of force. Funny though, I am always the only Texans fan. Anyway, the first game against Buffalo, they thought they were the best team because they thought the Texans were a good team. I didn't burst their bubble.

Texans_Chick
07-06-2006, 08:31 PM
This is what you wrote:

I was merely living in reality and I agree with your last paragraph.

My point wasn't to dump all over your opinion but to point out the important perspective of that last paragraph and put a little historical context to it.

No offense Texans Chick (please don't take this personally), but I am a season ticketholder and I get the glossy stuff regularly, and I am getting a little tired of the words and the marketing fluff. However, on the topic of your coverage, including the points you posted to my response, good job! Please don't think I am shooting the messenger. It appears you take great pride in what you do and you seem to do it well.

Nah, I wasn't taking what you were saying personally, I'm just saying that my opinion is just an opinion but is not necessarily what "reality" is. (In other words, I'm disagreeing with myself. :cool:) Yeah, the offense might take a long time to implement, or maybe not, who knows.

Thanks for the kind words.

Texans_Chick
07-06-2006, 08:33 PM
You probably didn't see Texans skipping OTAs because there's new bosses to impress and new systems to learn ... although the "chip on the shoulder" offseason theme for returning Texans players makes for better drama - at least for now.

That is Reason 1A, for sure.

However, you would think the same reasoning would apply to Buffalo and Green Bay and they have people skipping out on OTAs.

I think maybe the difference is hope and character and POness.

aj.
07-06-2006, 08:34 PM
Here's another Carr quote:

"It's been a nice change as far as the intensity he brings. You're accountable for everything. Nothing slips through the cracks with him. I was excited about what we were doing last week. I didn't want to leave because of some of the things we were doing."

He was talking about Joe Pendry a week or two after the Palmer firing.

I'm fully aware of context but I'm going to wait and see what happens on the field instead of getting excited about random quotes in the offseason.

Texans_Chick
07-06-2006, 08:40 PM

"It's been a nice change as far as the intensity he brings. You're accountable for everything. Nothing slips through the cracks with him. I was excited about what we were doing last week. I didn't want to leave because of some of the things we were doing."

m fully aware of context but I'm going to wait and see what happens on the field instead of getting excited about random quotes in the offseason.

True. But it was kinda funny that he acknowledges the stuff that he has said in the past but trying to distinguish it by saying that he really believes it this time.

Reminds me of a lyric:

The change, it had to come
We knew it all along
We were liberated from the fold, that's all
And the world looks just the same
And history ain't changed
'Cause the banners, they all flown in the last war

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again
No, no!

wags
07-06-2006, 08:40 PM

I'm fully aware of context but I'm going to wait and see what happens on the field instead of getting excited about random quotes in the offseason.

Good point, and I agree that it's all talk.

I don't think you'll ever hear Carr say "this guy is a dinosaur and his offense was creative back in the Paleolithic era." Just doesn't give those kinds of soundbites.

aj.
07-06-2006, 08:42 PM
That is Reason 1A, for sure.

However, you would think the same reasoning would apply to Buffalo and Green Bay and they have people skipping out on OTAs.

I think maybe the difference is hope and character and POness.

I think it's a perception of direction (I guess that's hope or lack of...) as much as it is character and PO-ness.

Buffalo will be a dismal place this year. GB may not be much better.

Hope could be a reflection of character. Hope |as an absolute value| could also just be a reaction to change. PO-ness? I Dunno.... I'm sure many of those guys are tired of losing.

Why do I have an urge to smash a guitar, and isn't every comment related to the new offensive coordinator a nod to a new constitution?

HoustonFan
07-06-2006, 09:10 PM
DAMN, I can't wait for the season to start!!!!

I really hope the work they've put in this off season translates into more wins than ever before out htis franchise for years to come.

GO TEXANS!!!!!

TexansSeminole
07-06-2006, 09:13 PM
Yea that may be the longest interview I have ever seen Carr give about football. If he wants the fans to like him he needs to do more interviews like that. Of course, he needs to win games.

Hulk75
07-07-2006, 10:07 AM
Yea that may be the longest interview I have ever seen Carr give about football. If he wants the fans to like him he needs to do more interviews like that. Of course, he needs to win games.
I bet he could care less about fans who dont like him...........HMMM unlike Joey Harrington/Tim Couch (crying).

HOU-TEX
07-07-2006, 10:13 AM
Looks like I am not the only one that sensed a bit of relief from David... kind of like when your mother-in-law leaves after a 4 year stay.

I also sensed some excitement... it sounds like the coaches are going to let him be a real quarterback this year.

Overall a very encourging piece, it wasn't just the usual rah-rah stuff folks want to hear, he can tell you convincingly why things will be much better this year.

This could be a really fun season! :drool:

Damn dude, 4 year stay! I thought it said 4 days at first. I'm kinda releived when she leaves after a 4 hour stay myself.:yahoo:

El Tejano
07-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Good point, and I agree that it's all talk.

I don't think you'll ever hear Carr say "this guy is a dinosaur and his offense was creative back in the Paleolithic era." Just doesn't give those kinds of soundbites.

Yeah but in this interview you did hear him say something to the affect that he was sure Pendry was good when he was doing his thing.