PDA

View Full Version : Realistically, when will Houston make the playoffs?

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Realistically speaking and knowing how good the Colts are, when do you guys honestly believe you will make your first playoffs?

I think we (the Titans) will make definitely in '08, but maybe '07. So my answer would be '08 for the Titans. I picked '09 for you guys because Peyton Will be old then and you will have your QB questions resolved by then.

Lucky
07-06-2006, 02:05 PM
Realistically, when will Houston make the playoffs?
Before Tennessee does.:mario:

Theoridic
07-06-2006, 02:14 PM
This year. I always beleive that we can make it. Our team is always the best in our eyes "Until the season starts" I always have faith that they will surprise everyone.

powerfuldragon
07-06-2006, 02:17 PM
'08 - '09

santo
07-06-2006, 02:21 PM
I picked this year too. :homer:

HOU-TEX
07-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Before Tennessee does.:mario:

Ha! Good one! I second that.:whip:

real
07-06-2006, 02:27 PM
Though it is possible in '06 I think we will be a legit playoff team by '07...so thats what I went with

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-06-2006, 02:27 PM
If Houston makes the playoffs before the Titans I will change my username to "Titans Suck" with a picture of myself in a Texans uniform burning my signed Keith Bulluck jersey.

(just to clarify, I'm not saying I will become a Texans fan, I'm saying it's not going to happen)

hollywood_texan
07-06-2006, 02:30 PM
This is a three year deal.

For it to happen sooner, two things need to happen:

1. Carr plays amazing
2. The defense has the rumble of an M1A1 and the firepower to back it up

HOU-TEX
07-06-2006, 02:32 PM
If Houston makes the playoffs before the Titans I will change my username to "Titans Suck" with a picture of myself in a Texans uniform burning my signed Keith Bulluck jersey.

(just to clarify, I'm not saying I will become a Texans fan, I'm saying it's not going to happen)

Only time will tell my friend.

Instead of burning that jersey you can go ahead and send it to me. I should be able to get something off e-bay for it.:yahoo:

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Only time will tell my friend.

Instead of burning that jersey you can go ahead and send it to me. I should be able to get something off e-bay for it.:yahoo:

I might sound like a "troll" on here sometimes but in all honesty I'd like to see the Titans and Houston on top of the AFC south. I'm tired of Pay-Me-A-Ton Manning. But you guys have got to realize that not only are we in the AFC, we have to play the Colts twice a year.

I'm sorry, but neither the Titans or Texans are making the playoffs next year. If you think you are making the playoffs next year then tell me which 10 games you are going to win (yes 10 games, KC didn't make it last year at 9-7)

Realistically the Titans will go 6-10 this year.

HOU-TEX
07-06-2006, 02:57 PM
I might sound like a "troll" on here sometimes but in all honesty I'd like to see the Titans and Houston on top of the AFC south. I'm tired of Pay-Me-A-Ton Manning. But you guys have got to realize that not only are we in the AFC, we have to play the Colts twice a year.

I'm sorry, but neither the Titans or Texans are making the playoffs next year. If you think you are making the playoffs next year then tell me which 10 games you are going to win (yes 10 games, KC didn't make it last year at 9-7)

Realistically the Titans will go 6-10 this year.

In all reality I voted 08 we'd get in the playoffs. I was just messin with ya. I'm also one of the ones hoping for a .500 season this year. As far as being a troll, personaly I have yet to see anything close to trollish from anyone on this MB. That is why I finally joined. It's good to have other teams fans posting here.IMO

I totally agree with you on Pee-a-ton.:)

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-06-2006, 03:09 PM
In all reality I voted 08 we'd get in the playoffs. I was just messin with ya. I'm also one of the ones hoping for a .500 season this year. As far as being a troll, personaly I have yet to see anything close to trollish from anyone on this MB. That is why I finally joined. It's good to have other teams fans posting here.IMO

I love DeMeco Ryans. Although I am partial to SEC athletes ... nothing is better than the SEC. The SEC dominates in football, baseball, women's basketball, and now Men's Basketball!! (1/2 of the Final Four teams!!)

DocBar
07-06-2006, 03:36 PM
I only know 8 of the games on next years schedule, but I think we go 6-2 in them. One loss apiece to Jax and Indy. Thumbtacks will STILL be sucking then. I'll lay money on beating at least half of the other 8 teams we face.
10-6 and playoff bound in '07 baby!!!! Unless we do it this year. Then next year will be 12-4 and a division crown!!!!!!
:francis:

jerek
07-06-2006, 03:38 PM
2008. Though I hate to say "will." One key injury can have a big impact on the win column. Two or more key injuries can derail an entire season. Even barring injuries, there is tremendous parity in the NFL right now, and a 16-game schedule means very little room for mistakes. Maybe the question should read "realistically, when will Houston genuinely compete for the playoffs?"

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-06-2006, 03:42 PM
I only know 8 of the games on next years schedule, but I think we go 6-2 in them. One loss apiece to Jax and Indy. Thumbtacks will STILL be sucking then. I'll lay money on beating at least half of the other 8 teams we face.
10-6 and playoff bound in '07 baby!!!! Unless we do it this year. Then next year will be 12-4 and a division crown!!!!!!
:francis:

Are you kidding? You think you will beat the Colts? ... I don't even know what to say to that. ... Hold on ... he's kidding right?

Brandon420tx
07-06-2006, 03:44 PM
Yes we will beat the colts, We'll sweep them, and split with Tenn and Jax.

jerek
07-06-2006, 03:46 PM
Are you kidding? You think you will beat the Colts? ... I don't even know what to say to that. ... Hold on ... he's kidding right?

Dunno. Personally, I don't see us beating the Colts until 07 ... probably closer to 08. I think we will compete beginning this year, but we're not going to beat them just yet. But there's a lot of variables until then. I am viewing it strictly through the concept of, how long will it take us to (a) gel, (b) get used to playing to win, and demand that kind of consistent performance out of ourselves. Personnel wise, we've covered a tremendous amount of ground this offseason. But none of that adds up to a cohesive, injury-free team unit -- yet. Remembering, though, that the Colts did lose Edg and, IMO, are quite mortal against good defensive playcalling. There's nothing that amazing about the Steelers D; they just play hardnosed and come at Manning from all angles.

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-06-2006, 03:46 PM
Yes we will beat the colts, We'll sweep them, and split with Tenn and Jax.

Oh ok i get it, you're either taking a nap and somehow dreaming while typing or it's opposite day.

Brandon420tx
07-06-2006, 03:53 PM
No, I'm sick of people veiwing the colts as unbeatable, they are human just like any other team in the NFL. They are a very solid football team, but they are either at the point of reaching their peak potential or have already reached it and are on the decline. For one thing they have been very fortunate to avoid a major epidemic of the injury bug, which could unfortunatly happen to any team, no I am not wishing it on them or any other team just stating how fortunate the colts have been in this area. The Colts players breathe, eat, sleep, and make mistakes like all people do, they are NOT invincible.

HOU-TEX
07-06-2006, 03:54 PM
Oh ok i get it, you're either taking a nap and somehow dreaming while typing or it's opposite day.

I can definetly see why you or anyone else would think otherwise, but truthfully, so far I'm more optimistic about beating them at least once this year than I have any previous year. I do think we'd have to have an outstanding game from darn near every player on the team.:superman:

DocBar
07-06-2006, 03:55 PM
HAHAHA...yer damn skippy we'll beat the Colts, Scooter!!! And the Flaming Thumbtacks TWICE!!!!

fan no matter what
07-06-2006, 03:56 PM
the titans will not make the playoffs before the texans

i chose 07 but allways hoping for the 06 season we do have a tuff division though.
:redtowel:

TexansJunkE
07-06-2006, 03:57 PM
Who's to say we can't do it this year. I believe we made many of the nessesary changes in order for us to improve greatly. Plus the NFL is a league where if a team can catch a couple of breaks they're 12-4. Case in point, LOOK AT THE JAGS!

powerfuldragon
07-06-2006, 03:57 PM
No, I'm sick of people veiwing the colts as unbeatable, they are human just like any other team in the NFL. They are a very solid football team, but they are either at the point of reaching their peak potential or have already reached it and are on the decline. For one thing they have been very fortunate to avoid a major epidemic of the injury bug, which could unfortunatly happen to any team, no I am not wishing it on them or any other team just stating how fortunate the colts have been in this area. The Colts players breathe, eat, sleep, and make mistakes like all people do, they are NOT invincible.

I know the colts are beatable, but i don't think we'll sweep them. I think we could potentially do so, but in reality we might steal one from them.:logo:

Brandon420tx
07-06-2006, 04:00 PM
I just wanted to:stirpot: I actually believe we split all division games... unfortunately.

swtbound07
07-06-2006, 04:00 PM
The year after we let David Carr go. I also happen to think that the titans will reach the playoffs a lot sooner rather than later...I believe in Vince Young.

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-06-2006, 04:02 PM

I agree with you I'm just saying it's not happening this year.

titan hater
07-06-2006, 04:02 PM

As much as I hate to agree with titan fan, he is right. i would love to sweep the clots, but I dont think that is going to happen...We will split with them though....Titan fan, How do you like Bud now? Has he tried to move them yet? If not give em a couple more years...

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-06-2006, 04:10 PM
There's only two ways he will move the Titans:

A) If we stop going to games (not gonna happen, we've sold out every game since '99)
B) If we don't build a new stadium when he wants one (he will be dead)

So no, the team won't move.

Texan Asylum
07-06-2006, 04:26 PM
I'm an eternal optimist, so I picked '06. It'll start with the first win being Philly. Coach Kubiak and Co. will use that win as a mental spring board and the rest will follow suit. This team WAS better than 2 and 14, and I believe it'll translate into a bigger turnaround than most will hope to believe.

DocBar
07-06-2006, 04:33 PM
There's only two ways he will move the Titans:

A) If we stop going to games (not gonna happen, we've sold out every game since '99)
B) If we don't build a new stadium when he wants one (he will be dead)

So no, the team won't move.
Man, I hate it for you that Bud still owns the team. No telling what that crazy old coot will do.

jreal26
07-06-2006, 04:40 PM

I agree. Good teams find a way to step up and beat teams like the Colts, Patriots and Steelers. They won't make a living beating these teams, but they compete and win occasionally. Look at the Chargers last year. A young and talented team, that was better than their record. Hell, look at the Texans, they've played the Colts pretty tough up until this year. Beating a team like the Colts or the Steelers, is the stepping stone to success. If you can't find a way to beat an archrival division opponent once in a two year span, something is wrong.

TexansLucky13
07-06-2006, 06:37 PM

I'm just waiting for Peyton to make it all the way to the SB just to lose it. That event will seal his fate as Marino II. After that it will be downhill for the horseshoes.

The Texans will beat the Colts this year. They aren't as godlike as some would like to think, and an 0-8 record against them means nothing to me at this point. We are a new team, and we will be playing on a fresh slate. As of the end of next season I foresee our Colts record at at least 1-1.

The thing about the Colts is... if you can beat them once, then beat them twice... you begin to have your blueprint already drafted out. The Chargers, Patriots and Steelers know how to defeat Manning. Others will follow.

Speedy
07-06-2006, 07:38 PM
I'm an eternal optimist, so I picked '06. It'll start with the first win being Philly. Coach Kubiak and Co. will use that win as a mental spring board and the rest will follow suit. This team WAS better than 2 and 14, and I believe it'll translate into a bigger turnaround than most will hope to believe.
That's exactly my feeling too, and the reason I think teams like the 4-12 Rams go to the SB the next year. Now don't get me wrong, the Texans blew on both sides of the ball last year but they still could have easily been 6-10 last year (Rams, Ravens, Titans and 9ers) and with another couple of plays here or there against the Bengals and Jags, weren't that far from being 8-8. I mean, the difference in most NFL games comes down to just a couple of plays here or there going your way or not. I think better coaching alone translates to better...dare I say..."execution" which could have been the difference in some of those games last year, and in this day and age of football, anything's possible.

I mean the 4-12 Rams won the Super Bowl the very next year. Why couldn't the 2-14 Texans at least make the playoffs? Not saying it's going to happen, just saying it can.

Kaiser Toro
07-06-2006, 09:48 PM
2007 and we will host our first playoff game as well. We will do it with or without Carr in my opinion.

Hutch13
07-06-2006, 10:05 PM
in the 07 season we will make it to the playoffs as a wildcard

thunderkyss
07-06-2006, 10:09 PM

If we're not going to the play-offs till '08, we really screwed this draft.

thunderkyss
07-06-2006, 10:13 PM

We can beat the Colts....... we were a bad team, with a piss poor offense, and we take them into the 4th quarter every game. If our defense can get us some stops, and our coach loose the reigns on our offense, we'd have beat them 8 times by now.

thunderkyss
07-06-2006, 10:15 PM
Dunno. Personally, I don't see us beating the Colts until 07 ... probably closer to 08. I think we will compete beginning this year, but we're not going to beat them just yet. But there's a lot of variables until then. I am viewing it strictly through the concept of, how long will it take us to (a) gel, (b) get used to playing to win, and demand that kind of consistent performance out of ourselves. Personnel wise, we've covered a tremendous amount of ground this offseason. But none of that adds up to a cohesive, injury-free team unit -- yet. Remembering, though, that the Colts did lose Edg and, IMO, are quite mortal against good defensive playcalling. There's nothing that amazing about the Steelers D; they just play hardnosed and come at Manning from all angles.

expect mediocrity, and you'll get a 2-14 team.

Expect to win, and you'll be 13-3.

thunderkyss
07-06-2006, 10:19 PM
I just wanted to:stirpot: I actually believe we split all division games... unfortunately.

no, you were right to begin with........ we're going to beat the Colts....... as a matter of fact, we'll sweep the AFC South.

thunderkyss
07-06-2006, 10:27 PM
That's exactly my feeling too, and the reason I think teams like the 4-12 Rams go to the SB the next year. Now don't get me wrong, the Texans blew on both sides of the ball last year but they still could have easily been 6-10 last year (Rams, Ravens, Titans and 9ers) and with another couple of plays here or there against the Bengals and Jags, weren't that far from being 8-8. I mean, the difference in most NFL games comes down to just a couple of plays here or there going your way or not. I think better coaching alone translates to better...dare I say..."execution" which could have been the difference in some of those games last year, and in this day and age of football, anything's possible.

I mean the 4-12 Rams won the Super Bowl the very next year. Why couldn't the 2-14 Texans at least make the playoffs? Not saying it's going to happen, just saying it can.

Actually, teams like the Rams, and '05 Bears, Jags, and Colts benefitted from easy schedules........ the '06 Texans won't have that luck..... The AFC south truly sucks, so we'll pretty much have a cakewalk through my predicted sweep of the division..... our toughest games are going to be outside our division.

Brandon420tx
07-06-2006, 11:06 PM
no, you were right to begin with........ we're going to beat the Colts....... as a matter of fact, we'll sweep the AFC South.
Well, you've swayed me, 6-0 in the division.

TK_Gamer
07-07-2006, 04:19 AM

im not seein it , since when did a good draft ever translate to a trip to the playoffs? once in a blue moon? and 2years for a rookie to mature is what? a bust? maybe in yer dreams do you make the jump from draft to probowl too eh?

DocBar
07-07-2006, 05:39 AM
im not seein it , since when did a good draft ever translate to a trip to the playoffs? once in a blue moon? and 2years for a rookie to mature is what? a bust? maybe in yer dreams do you make the jump from draft to probowl too eh?
um....Has happened more than once in a blue moon in this golden age of parity. Rams have gone worst to first and so have the Ravens, Steelers, Colts, Seahawks, Panthers, Bucs... I'm working purely off memory but I think that's accurrate. I'm not saying they necessarily won the SB but did go from the ditch to the playoffs in the course of one offseason.

thunderkyss
07-07-2006, 07:31 AM

If we're still 2 years away, then our core players aren't what we thought they were, and we should've just started with the rebuilding.....

We are 4 years into this, and the GM, director of player personell, whatever you want to call him has been building this team going on 5 years now. We don't have a bunch of rookies starting for us.... at least we shouldn't. We shouldn't be waiting another two years for anyone to develop, least of all our QB.

It's bad enough, that we haven't made the playoffs yet...... and still call ourselves and expansion team. IF we can't win 10 games before our 7th season, then that's pathetic, when every other expansion team of the modern era has made the playoffs after 4. You're basically saying you have no clue what you are doing, from top to bottom...... Owner, GM, guy who cleans the bathroom....... you haven't got a clue.

HJam72
07-07-2006, 07:54 AM
That reminds me of something. After seeing the team with a new coaching staff, we may know just how much or how little of last year was Casserly's fault after all. Hopefully, very little of it because I'd like to see Kubiak turn this team around in an awefull hurry, if I had my choice.

I almost said 2008, but I can't help hoping we're in them next year.

jagibelieve
07-07-2006, 08:14 AM
Actually, teams like the Rams, and '05 Bears, Jags, and Colts benefitted from easy schedules........ the '06 Texans won't have that luck..... The AFC south truly sucks, so we'll pretty much have a cakewalk through my predicted sweep of the division..... our toughest games are going to be outside our division.
LOL, exactly how can you say that the Jags and Colts had easy schedules last season?

I picked 2008, and am basing that as the earliest possiblity. Realistically it depends on one major factor, and that would be the decline of either the Colts or the Jaguars. Right now I think the Colts peaked last season and will start to decline, and the Jaguars are still improving.

The Texans have most of the tools needed, but it takes time to put them together. A better defense, better O line and time will make you all contenders.

HOU-TEX
07-07-2006, 08:38 AM

Soo, you're counting on this years draft in order to be able to go to the playoffs by next year? Geesh, whatever! I think somebodies been peeing in your Wheaties ever since the draft. Get over it already.:brickwall

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-07-2006, 08:49 AM

If you sweep the AFC south then that means this summer Manning will break his back, Vince and Volek will break their back forcing us to play Matt Mauck, and the entire Jags defense will suffer from cancer.

Hervoyel
07-07-2006, 08:51 AM
I don't really know how to answer this question because in order to do that I would have to know something about the Texans and honestly I don't think any of us have a truly accurate gauge of what they're going to look like next year. It could easily be 2007 or it could be 2011 if they have to start over again "if" Kubiak is a mistake (which I don't believe for the record but it is a possibility).

Teams that are four years old shouldn't have this many question marks about them.

jerek
07-07-2006, 08:54 AM
If you sweep the AFC south then that means this summer Manning will break his back, Vince and Volek will break their back forcing us to play Matt Mauck, and the entire Jags defense will suffer from cancer.

You honestly believe we can't sweep the Titans? ... The Colts, nuff said. The Jags are a well rounded, well coached team that emphasizes defense. The Titans aren't a well rounded team, the jury's still out on your coaching, and frankly I think we are a more talented team at this point in time. Your offseason was laughable with the possible exception of landing developmental project VY, and as we swept you only two years ago, I'm not sure why you seem to think (other than that you are a Titan fan) that we can't sweep you now. I wouldn't bet on it, but I surely wouldn't bet against it either.

Either way I hope you will still be on this board when we rip VY a new one. This is the year we get to take advantage of him: I expect in 2-3 years he will have his NFL wits about him and then the rivalry of all rivalries will be renewed. I for one am glad you guys got him -- it will make our games that much more high-stakes, every win that much sweeter, and every loss that much harder to stomach. Will be the stuff of sports legend for years to come.

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
07-07-2006, 09:00 AM
IMO we will make the play-offs in o7.But i'm still hoping Kub can come in with a winning metality and have our team play-off bound this year.(has a-lot of work to do though) As far as our div. IMO the bolts realy missed the mark letting Edge go if I'm not mistaken he is consitered the best blocking back in the NFL right now. With out him to help protect PM I see mario,greenwood,demeco,and company having a field day in the colts backfield. Granted one player does not make a team but Edge was/is a team player and did everything (run,catch,and block) very well for the colts. I think they will not be the same team without him. So I think our chance of spliting these two games is VERY real and a sweep is not out of the question. Manning has alway had time to look down field IMO because of that sec. that Edge gave him in the blocking game, Guess what this year thats gone to AZ.

DocBar
07-07-2006, 09:08 AM
You're a funny guy:ok:

Lucky
07-07-2006, 09:09 AM
2007 and we will host our first playoff game as well. We will do it with or without Carr in my opinion.
I didn't realize you were such a huge Sage Rosenfels fan. :confused:

DocBar
07-07-2006, 09:10 AM
). Teams that are four years old shouldn't have this many question marks about them.
Aren't you glad you're not a Browns fan? Or a Ravens fan, for that natter?

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-07-2006, 09:11 AM
You honestly believe we can't sweep the Titans? ... The Colts, nuff said. The Jags are a well rounded, well coached team that emphasizes defense. The Titans aren't a well rounded team, the jury's still out on your coaching, and frankly I think we are a more talented team at this point in time. Your offseason was laughable with the possible exception of landing developmental project VY, and as we swept you only two years ago, I'm not sure why you seem to think (other than that you are a Titan fan) that we can't sweep you now. I wouldn't bet on it, but I surely wouldn't bet against it either.

Either way I hope you will still be on this board when we rip VY a new one. This is the year we get to take advantage of him: I expect in 2-3 years he will have his NFL wits about him and then the rivalry of all rivalries will be renewed. I for one am glad you guys got him -- it will make our games that much more high-stakes, every win that much sweeter, and every loss that much harder to stomach. Will be the stuff of sports legend for years to come.

Our offseason was laughable?

How about the additions of:

Chris Hope
David Givens
Kevin Mawae (5 Pro Bowls)
David Thornton
Vince Young
LenDale White

You're telling me you wouldn't want them on your team? There's 3 Superbowls and 3 NCAA National Championships amongst those players and we had a laughable offseason?

You will split with us and lose out to Jax and the Colts. That's the reality of it. The Titans and Texans will be around 5-11, 6-10.

If you think the Texans had a better offseason than the Titans, you let me know why. I'd like to hear it.

DocBar
07-07-2006, 09:12 AM
Nah dude...we're trying to lure Ryan Leaf out of retirement!!!
:stirpot:

jagibelieve
07-07-2006, 10:06 AM

Chris Hope
David Givens
David Thornton
Vince Young
LenDale White

You're telling me you wouldn't want them on your team? There's 3 Superbowls and 3 NCAA National Championships amongst those players and we had a laughable offseason?

You will split with us and lose out to Jax and the Colts. That's the reality of it. The Titans and Texans will be around 5-11, 6-10.

If you think the Texans had a better offseason than the Titans, you let me know why. I'd like to hear it.
I wouldn't say laughable, but not exactly stellar either. The Titans could have added just about anybody and it would have been an improvement. Seriously. Sure, 3 of the players came from NCAA Championship teams, but this ain't college anymore. Once the rookie class start taking snaps in the NFL, only then can you really judge their talent. To do otherwise is just plain silly.

You mention Kevin Mawae. Sure he has been to pro bowls in the past, but he is also an ageing offensive lineman, hardly a replacement for the future.

You also mention David Givens. Look at who he has been catching passes from. Probably the best quarterback in the game. It remains to be seen what he will do playing with Volek or Young.

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-07-2006, 10:08 AM
I wouldn't say laughable, but not exactly stellar either. The Titans could have added just about anybody and it would have been an improvement. Seriously. Sure, 3 of the players came from NCAA Championship teams, but this ain't college anymore. Once the rookie class start taking snaps in the NFL, only then can you really judge their talent. To do otherwise is just plain silly.

You mention Kevin Mawae. Sure he has been to pro bowls in the past, but he is also an ageing offensive lineman, hardly a replacement for the future.

You also mention David Givens. Look at who he has been catching passes from. Probably the best quarterback in the game. It remains to be seen what he will do playing with Volek or Young.

So I guess any receiver who has had a good QB isn't as good as you think he is.

Kaiser Toro
07-07-2006, 10:12 AM

I have been consistent on this Lucky. I am not a fan of a high prcied QB on our roster.

jagibelieve
07-07-2006, 10:23 AM
That could be true to a point. Any good offense / good quarterback will make a receiver look better than he is, just like a GREAT receiver will make an average quarterback look better. Givens isn't exactly a "stat king". He was rated #29 as far as receiving yards last season. One stat that he is up there on is receiving touchdowns. However, he's not exactly a receiver that DB's fear.

thunderkyss
07-07-2006, 10:23 AM

The problem is at best, Givens is a #2........ you signed him to be your #1.

big homey
07-07-2006, 10:24 AM

Chris Hope Underrated guy, good addition.
David Givens Way overrated, your team paid way too much for him. I glad we didn't get him ourselves.
Kevin Mawae (5 Pro Bowls) Old and got badly injured last year, won't be in the same Pro Bowl form. He might struggle to make the team.
David Thornton Decent guy out of Indy's system, won't be much of an impact.
Vince Young Talented, but a major project. He won't make an impact too early on.
LenDale White JMO, but LenDale fell to the 2nd round for good reason. He only did as well as he did in college b/c of USC's O-line.

Responses in bold.

HOU-TEX
07-07-2006, 10:29 AM
If Lendale gets his s--- together, I think he's got a chance at being really good. He's more of a North/South RB. I think he hurt Texas just as much as Bush did in the championship.IMO

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Responses in bold.

So I guess Reggie was only good in college because of USC's line too? Those 24 TDs by LenDale weren't only because of a good O-Line.

So I guess Larry Johnson was good last year because of the Chiefs O-Line.

jagibelieve
07-07-2006, 10:37 AM
If Lendale gets his s--- together, I think he's got a chance at being really good. He's more of a North/South RB. I think he hurt Texas just as much as Bush did in the championship.IMO
That's true, but again, your talking about college performance. The NFL defenses are faster and stronger than any college defense. He has a lot of potential, but as far as I'm concerned, I would rather judge a rookie after I see him play a few NFL games (not pre-season).

DocBar
07-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Givens was on the Txans last year??? He IS the best QB in the league.:pigfly:
The tacks had a pretty good offseason, but I actually think they are in a worse state of flux than the Texans. Who's the RB this year? Fumbles or IR?
QB?? HAHAHAHAHA....no seriously...HAHAHAHA
Didn't y'all have some turnover on the OL?
The D wasn't exactly great last year either. How exactly does Pacman"papa smurf"Jones cover AJ or EM? Hard to run on stilts.
I'll take the Texans over the Titans (read as SWEEP) and am willing to put up the $$$ to back it up. I'm sure I messed up on some of my stuff, but it's way easier to be corrected on here than to do the actual research! :)

HOU-TEX
07-07-2006, 10:46 AM
That's true, but again, your talking about college performance. The NFL defenses are faster and stronger than any college defense. He has a lot of potential, but as far as I'm concerned, I would rather judge a rookie after I see him play a few NFL games (not pre-season).

I understand this. I've always been partial to the old school bruising type back rather than the tippy-toed juker. I'm just saying I think he has a lot of potential if he gets his act together.

Titan "Tack" Fan
The tacks had a pretty good offseason, but I actually think they are in a worse state of flux than the Texans. Who's the RB this year? Fumbles or IR?
The D wasn't exactly great last year either. How exactly does Pacman"papa smurf"Jones cover AJ or EM? Hard to run on stilts.
I'll take the Texans over the Titans (read as SWEEP) and am willing to put up the $$$ to back it up. I'm sure I messed up on some of my stuff, but it's way easier to be corrected on here than to do the actual research! :)

Put your money where your mouth is:
http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=24702 (http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=24702)

jagibelieve
Here is a correction for you. 1) Givens played with Tom Brady last year. 2) Tom Brady is probably the best quarterback in the league. 3) Givens is a WR.

jagibelieve
07-07-2006, 10:50 AM
I understand this. I've always been partial to the old school bruising type back rather than the tippy-toed juker. I'm just saying I think he has a lot of potential if he gets his act together.
Oh I agree 100%. I would rather have a way good running game than a good passing game. I also agree that he does have potential, I just want to see him play in an NFL game.

jerek
07-07-2006, 10:51 AM

Chris Hope
David Givens
David Thornton
Vince Young
LenDale White

Mawae was a decent pickup but you have to acknowledge that he is on the decline. Lendale White was and is a joke who made it in college on athleticism ... we'll see how far ManBoobs takes your running game in the pros. VY is a project and I don't expect him to have much of a positive impact this year. Givens is a solid pickup but not IMO superior to Moulds; Givens was clearly a supporting cast rather than a key player or leader in those 3 Super Bowls. Thornton was also a decent but unspectacular pickup but we'll see how he does in the scheme change.

I think we will quite possibly split with the Jags and may -- may -- even sweep. We will at least split with the Titans and will quite possibly sweep them. Forgive me if I don't embrace your view of the "reality" -- given that you believe the Titans will make the playoffs before we do.

As for the Texans' offseason, we acquired all-world DE talent in Mario Williams. We acquired Weaver, a very solid DT/DE to help shore up the inside. We got Demeco Ryans -- a very solid LB who is expected to start for us. We got two starting-caliber OL in the third. Putzier is a solid but unspectacular TE. Moulds is a legitimate #2 WR threat. Many of our returning players are putting in amazing work in the offseason. Most importantly we acquired an amazing new coaching staff with a serious tradition of winning at the pro level and renown for their ability to utilize personnel wisely within their proven schemes. Time will tell but I think we are easily the better team right now.

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-07-2006, 10:52 AM
Point is, based on the draft and their college careers, the Titans have the potential to be a top the AFC south within 3 years.

DocBar
07-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Here is a correction for you. 1) Givens played with Tom Brady last year. 2) Tom Brady is probably the best quarterback in the league. 3) Givens is a WR.
OK...let me explain. I'm sitting in an apartment in Lyon France with nothing else to do but post stuff on here. I ran out of good stuff a week or so ago. Cut a guy some slack. Brady is definitely high on my top 2 list of QBs in the league. That guy has the same magic Montana had. Also, I forgot to add Carr on the part about the best QB in the league. It was meant to be funny. This is a fun message board. Don't be too uptight. I'll start using the :sarcasm: thing a little more often.

thunderkyss
07-07-2006, 11:02 AM
LOL, exactly how can you say that the Jags and Colts had easy schedules last season?

We played the AFC South, the AFC North, and the NFC West.......

4 easy games against the Titans and The Texans
2 easy games against Baltimore, and Clevland.
3 easy games, St Louis, SanFran, and Arizona

That's nine games.

1 game... you beat Seattle, holding Alexander to 73 yards.... good job
2 games against Indy........ lost both
1 game, you lost to Denver
1 game... you beat Cincinatti..... good job
1 Game.... you beat Pittsburgh....... good job

So against the good teams, you're 3 for 6.....

6 tough opponents out of 16 total games, a little more than 1/3rd........ while not a cakewalk, it isn't a difficult schedule, like what you're going to see in '06.

2/3rds of your opponents finished the season under .500

thunderkyss
07-07-2006, 11:04 AM
Soo, you're counting on this years draft in order to be able to go to the playoffs by next year? Geesh, whatever! I think somebodies been peeing in your Wheaties ever since the draft. Get over it already.:brickwall

NO, I'm saying if we don't expect to start winning until the '08 season(the third football seasons from now) then we should've addressed the draft differently.....

might as well start rebuilding.

Double Barrel
07-07-2006, 11:06 AM
2007, Imo.

thunderkyss
07-07-2006, 11:09 AM

Especially when they are playing on the best College team ever.....

They'd be lucky to play in the NFL, where you've got a heck of a WR, one of the best college football QBs in the league, two "1st round" running backs, and All Conference Linemen at 4 out of 5 OL positions........

In the NFL, that would be like having a probowler at every spot, and two in the backfield..... not likely to happen.

HOU-TEX
07-07-2006, 11:14 AM
NO, I'm saying if we don't expect to start winning until the '08 season(the third football seasons from now) then we should've addressed the draft differently.....

might as well start rebuilding.

I didn't say we wouldn't start winning until 08. I was talking playoffs. Playoff births in the AFC don't come as easily like the NFC. IMO, 8-8 this year, 9-7 or 10-6 next year then Playoff bound in 08. I think we had an excellent draft this year. I just think it's going to take a little more to get that infamous playoff birth.:twocents:

jagibelieve
07-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Mawae was a decent pickup but you have to acknowledge that he is on the decline. Lendale White was and is a joke who made it in college on athleticism ... we'll see how far ManBoobs takes your running game in the pros. VY is a project and I don't expect him to have much of a positive impact this year. Givens is a solid pickup but not IMO superior to Moulds; Givens was clearly a supporting cast rather than a key player or leader in those 3 Super Bowls. Thornton was also a decent but unspectacular pickup but we'll see how he does in the scheme change.

I think we will quite possibly split with the Jags and may -- may -- even sweep. We will at least split with the Titans and will quite possibly sweep them. Forgive me if I don't embrace your view of the "reality" -- given that you believe the Titans will make the playoffs before we do.

As for the Texans' offseason, we acquired all-world DE talent in Mario Williams. We acquired Weaver, a very solid DT/DE to help shore up the inside. We got Demeco Ryans -- a very solid LB who is expected to start for us. We got two starting-caliber OL in the third. Putzier is a solid but unspectacular TE. Moulds is a legitimate #2 WR threat. Many of our returning players are putting in amazing work in the offseason. Most importantly we acquired an amazing new coaching staff with a serious tradition of winning at the pro level and renown for their ability to utilize personnel wisely within their proven schemes. Time will tell but I think we are easily the better team right now.
The only way I see your team splitting or sweeping the Jaguars is if (God forbid) there happens to be major injuries involved for the Jaguars. Your team is good, and getting better, but is just out of reach of sweeping the Jags.

I have said it before and I'll say it again. If you really improve the O line, Carr's skill will shine. That would be the first priority, and it seems to be in the process of being addressed. Your team also needs to upgrade the defense. Again, this is in the process of being addressed.

From the outside looking in, I think the Texans made the right choice with the #1 pick this season IF he pans out and proves to be as good as the Texans are betting on.

You just have to understand that this process takes a bit of time. I have no doubt that the Texans are a better team this season, and I am pretty sure they can sweep the Titans, but I just don't see them beating the Jagaurs this season.

srstex
07-07-2006, 11:37 AM
Looking at recent history the Texans have as good a chance making the playoffs as 20 other teams. We have beaten the Jags, we have beaten the Titans, as for the Colts-well we have beaten the Jags & Titans. It is not even pre-season so I can say with-out a doubt that we can make the play-offs THIS year. No pipe dream, no beer, yet, just the fact that on any given Sunday we can win. ESPN only makes safe picks or high profile teams, but every year at least one team, that no-one expected to be there, makes it. Look at last years Bears, using the old Raven formula, we can win, and we will win. This coaching staff makes me optimistic about this season. The talent to date has been good, the play sub-par, but the coaching staff should never have accepted the losses, and changes were too late in coming for me.
This has been a great off season, Putzier-Weaver-A. Smith-Flannagen-Kalu, all have been in our systems, and they all have had a certain amount of success in the NFL over the years. So why not look at the play offs THIS year, the future is now.

TK_Gamer
07-07-2006, 11:48 AM
So I guess Reggie was only good in college because of USC's line too? Those 24 TDs by LenDale weren't only because of a good O-Line.

So I guess Larry Johnson was good last year because of the Chiefs O-Line.

with roaf and shields in , yes he did benefit from their line, why do you think the main stat for an o-lineman is rushing yards produced?

DocBar
07-07-2006, 11:49 AM
with roaf and shields in , yes he did benefit from their line, why do you think the main stat for ant o-lineman is rushing yards produced?
stats are useless...see the DD vs AFC thread. But it IS kind of obvious, huh?

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-07-2006, 12:36 PM
Looking at recent history the Texans have as good a chance making the playoffs as 20 other teams. We have beaten the Jags, we have beaten the Titans, as for the Colts-well we have beaten the Jags & Titans. It is not even pre-season so I can say with-out a doubt that we can make the play-offs THIS year. No pipe dream, no beer, yet, just the fact that on any given Sunday we can win. ESPN only makes safe picks or high profile teams, but every year at least one team, that no-one expected to be there, makes it. Look at last years Bears, using the old Raven formula, we can win, and we will win. This coaching staff makes me optimistic about this season. The talent to date has been good, the play sub-par, but the coaching staff should never have accepted the losses, and changes were too late in coming for me.
This has been a great off season, Putzier-Weaver-A. Smith-Flannagen-Kalu, all have been in our systems, and they all have had a certain amount of success in the NFL over the years. So why not look at the play offs THIS year, the future is now.

You're wrong. Yes, you have beaten the Titans, but you got swept by us last year. I don't get your point. Yes ANY TEAM IN THE LEAGUE has a CHANCE at the playoffs, but your chance is much lower. Sorry, but you won 2 games last year. There are only a handful of teams that are worse than the Texans. The Titans and Texans are both in the bottom 6-7 teams in the NFL. Face it.

Brandon420tx
07-07-2006, 12:39 PM
The only way I see your team splitting or sweeping the Jaguars is if (God forbid) there happens to be major injuries involved for the Jaguars. Your team is good, and getting better, but is just out of reach of sweeping the Jags.

I have said it before and I'll say it again. If you really improve the O line, Carr's skill will shine. That would be the first priority, and it seems to be in the process of being addressed. Your team also needs to upgrade the defense. Again, this is in the process of being addressed.

From the outside looking in, I think the Texans made the right choice with the #1 pick this season IF he pans out and proves to be as good as the Texans are betting on.

You just have to understand that this process takes a bit of time. I have no doubt that the Texans are a better team this season, and I am pretty sure they can sweep the Titans, but I just don't see them beating the Jagaurs this season.

I will agree with you on your comments about us starting to improve our O-line and Defense this season, something we will hopefully be continuing.

But I will state that the fact that most Texans fans believe we will be so much better this year is only partially resulted from our players (I'd say about 40-50% at the most) and more to do with our new coaching staff. I particularly like what I've read about our TE couch and our trenches coaches, not to mention Kubiak and Sherman. The young shanahan at wr is a variable, but he worked with Galloway and Clayton at Tampa. I think we could improve our coaching in the LB department though.

jagibelieve
07-07-2006, 12:54 PM
OK...let me explain. I'm sitting in an apartment in Lyon France with nothing else to do but post stuff on here. I ran out of good stuff a week or so ago. Cut a guy some slack. Brady is definitely high on my top 2 list of QBs in the league. That guy has the same magic Montana had. Also, I forgot to add Carr on the part about the best QB in the league. It was meant to be funny. This is a fun message board. Don't be too uptight. I'll start using the :sarcasm: thing a little more often.
Hey I'm just "messing" with you too. Don't take it personal.

DocBar
07-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Hey I'm just "messing" with you too. Don't take it personal.
LOL...no worries

jagibelieve
07-07-2006, 01:02 PM
I will agree with you on your comments about us starting to improve our O-line and Defense this season, something we will hopefully be continuing.

But I will state that the fact that most Texans fans believe we will be so much better this year is only partially resulted from our players (I'd say about 40-50% at the most) and more to do with our new coaching staff. I particularly like what I've read about our TE couch and our trenches coaches, not to mention Kubiak and Sherman. The young shanahan at wr is a variable, but he worked with Galloway and Clayton at Tampa. I think we could improve our coaching in the LB department though.
I agree, but you have to realize that this stuff takes time. The Texans will be really good, I don't argue that fact one bit, just not this season.

Like any other team in the NFL... if all of the pieces fall together, they can contend for the Super Bowl.

I realistically see the Texans being a wildcard in '08. I also see the Jaguars as division champs that season.

HOU-TEX
07-07-2006, 01:06 PM
I agree, but you have to realize that this stuff takes time. The Texans will be really good, I don't argue that fact one bit, just not this season.

Like any other team in the NFL... if all of the pieces fall together, they can contend for the Super Bowl.

I realistically see the Texans being a wildcard in '08. I also see the Jaguars as division champs that season.

Do you think Jack Del Taco can coach your team to the Show? Or is he another Dungy that lets his players run the team?:shoot:

DocBar
07-07-2006, 01:10 PM
Do you think Jack Del Taco can coach your team to the Show? Or is he another Dungy that lets his players run the team?:shoot:
OUCH!!!! Pull it out, it HURTS!!!!! y quero Taco Bell.

Brandon420tx
07-07-2006, 01:14 PM

The only thing I'm concerned about on our defense is our LB corps:confused: . I don't see our rookies (Or Hodgen) stepping in the O-line this season (Except for injury reasons), but I will have to say I think once the O-line learn the scheme our rushing game will be much better and hopefully our over-abundance of weapons and the prior mentioned running attack can slow down the constant bull-rush the Texans had to face last year. Our last 10 games will show how much improvement our team has really made.:poker:

Good luck with the Jaguars, they are number 2 on my division fav list (#3 on my afc list behind the steelers, and #4 on my overall nfl list behind the Eagles) Love your defense, except of course when playing the Texans.

The only knock on them I have is your fans really get on my nerves (Your an exception, your not a butt-munching troll :) :party: )

HOU-TEX
07-07-2006, 01:15 PM
OUCH!!!! Pull it out, it HURTS!!!!! y quero Taco Bell.

:rofl: lol: That's freakin hilarious!!
Can ya tell it's Friday??????:whip:

thunderkyss
07-07-2006, 01:23 PM
You're wrong. Yes, you have beaten the Titans, but you got swept by us last year. I don't get your point. Yes ANY TEAM IN THE LEAGUE has a CHANCE at the playoffs, but your chance is much lower. Sorry, but you won 2 games last year. There are only a handful of teams that are worse than the Texans. The Titans and Texans are both in the bottom 6-7 teams in the NFL. Face it.

But it's not like you wupped us.... in the last game, we were leading at the half, and had the lead again in the 4th quarter. then we missed a field goal, you score on a short field, then David throws an INT, and you score again on a short field.

Again, we were leading at the half of the first game.... You score early in the third, because Carr fumbled the ball on our 29 yard line....... till then you were just going 3 & out.... then you finally take the lead with 3 minutes left in the 4th.

all we have to do, is learn how to close games out, and we'll sweep the jags... think about it, a 2-14 team took your over-rated team to the wire in one game, and had the lead at one time of another in the 4th both games.....

Edit: So sorry, thought I was arguing with the Jags fan....... all this, is referring to our games against the jags...

I wouldn't even argue the fact we are going to sweep the Titans, that's a given.

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-07-2006, 01:49 PM
But it's not like you wupped us.... in the last game, we were leading at the half, and had the lead again in the 4th quarter. then we missed a field goal, you score on a short field, then David throws an INT, and you score again on a short field.

Again, we were leading at the half of the first game.... You score early in the third, because Carr fumbled the ball on our 29 yard line....... till then you were just going 3 & out.... then you finally take the lead with 3 minutes left in the 4th.

all we have to do, is learn how to close games out, and we'll sweep the jags... think about it, a 2-14 team took your over-rated team to the wire in one game, and had the lead at one time of another in the 4th both games.....

Edit: So sorry, thought I was arguing with the Jags fan....... all this, is referring to our games against the jags...

I wouldn't even argue the fact we are going to sweep the Titans, that's a given.

...I was about to say, our overrated team? Since we have we been overrated? :shoot:

Hardcore Texan
07-07-2006, 03:02 PM

Now that is the best edit I have ever seen. You had me cracking up, and good post btw.

Hardcore Texan
07-07-2006, 03:12 PM
The year after we let David Carr go. I also happen to think that the titans will reach the playoffs a lot sooner rather than later...I believe in Vince Young.

So not for a few years then since he was extended, hopefully alot of years. I hope he turns out to be a great QB for the Texans for a long time and we go to the playoffs on multiple occasions.....and if he proves you wrong, well that's just a bonus.

DocBar
07-07-2006, 03:13 PM
We got swept by everybody but the Boy Scouts last year. The Titans have been there so quit yer *****in.

Vambo, the Marble Eye
07-07-2006, 03:26 PM
So not for a few years then since he was extended, hopefully alot of years. I hope he turns out to be a great QB for the Texans for a long time and we go to the playoffs on multiple occasions.....and if he proves you wrong, well that's just a bonus.

In 2006 if the Texans split with the Jags, Titans and the Colts this year, with wins by the respective home team... will your head explode?

It is not whether we make the playoffs or when... it is about THIS YEAR! As a minimum, we need...:hunter: 4 wins and a bunch of "close ones" to wash out the stench of last year's effort... and the 4 wins that would do it for me would be the Jags, Titans, Colts and Cowboys. (and there will be a party at my house.)

DocBar
07-07-2006, 03:35 PM
In 2006 if the Texans split with the Jags, Titans and the Colts this year, with wins by the respective home team... will your head explode?

It is not whether we make the playoffs or when... it is about THIS YEAR! As a minimum, we need...:hunter: 4 wins and a bunch of "close ones" to wash out the stench of last year's effort... and the 4 wins that would do it for me would be the Jags, Titans, Colts and Cowboys. (and there will be a party at my house.)
I take umbrage with that. You, sir, are obviously a Colts fan. If the Texans don't win 17 games this year, it will be a crime!!! A CRIME, I say!!!
:sarcasm:

bayoudreamn
07-07-2006, 06:21 PM
Realistically speaking and knowing how good the Colts are, when do you guys honestly believe you will make your first playoffs?

I think we (the Titans) will make definitely in '08, but maybe '07. So my answer would be '08 for the Titans. I picked '09 for you guys because Peyton Will be old then and you will have your QB questions resolved by then.

The question was "realistically".....Bud is your owner.....you will never make the playoffs.

bayoudreamn
07-07-2006, 06:29 PM
We can beat the Colts....... we were a bad team, with a piss poor offense, and we take them into the 4th quarter every game. If our defense can get us some stops, and our coach loose the reigns on our offense, we'd have beat them 8 times by now.

I agree

bayoudreamn
07-07-2006, 06:30 PM
expect mediocrity, and you'll get a 2-14 team.

Expect to win, and you'll be 13-3.

I agree 2.

bayoudreamn
07-07-2006, 06:37 PM

Chris Hope
David Givens
David Thornton
Vince Young
LenDale White

Super Mario can beat up all the guys you mentioned....at the same time.:whip:

jerek
07-08-2006, 02:05 AM

Don't get me wrong: the Jags are a solid team from top to bottom (though I still think Leftwich is a joke.) But it was only the season before last that we swept y'all. There isn't, IIRC, some dramatic difference in the composition of your team since then. The most positive thing you have gained in that time is continuity and a sense of gelling amongst your team; which is hugely important, and undoubtedly you have that up on the Texans right now. Talent-wise, we've closed the gap, and coaching wise, we've closed the gap. We're rivals and we played you competitively throughout most of both games, even this last year. IMO that gives us a legitimate chance to steal one from you.

Hardcore Texan
07-08-2006, 10:58 PM

Not sure I follow....I would be happy if we split all these games. It would be nice to at least sweep the Titans, but I could live with going 3-3 in the division. My original statement was in response to someone that always take a stab at Carr every chance he gets.....like or not he is our qb and the perosnal vendetta is getting old. It is okay to criticize and all, especially if it is sometimes constructive, but geez...:deadhorse

TexanBorn51
07-08-2006, 11:44 PM
Last January 1st I was yelling Happy New Year to all and that meant the Houston Texans too...I vote 06...really-listically...

TexansLucky13
07-09-2006, 02:15 AM
The question was "realistically".....Bud is your owner.....you will never make the playoffs.

The Titans sortof went to a SB a few years back....

z0rpAn
07-09-2006, 02:30 AM
I say we split with the Colts, Split with the Titans and roll the Jags. My prediction is that we barely squeeze into or barely fall short of the playoffs.

TexansLucky13
07-09-2006, 02:34 AM
I say we split with the Colts, Split with the Titans and roll the Jags. My prediction is that we barely squeeze into or barely fall short of the playoffs.

I just don't buy into the idea that we will make the playoffs this year.

z0rpAn
07-09-2006, 03:47 AM
All of us as Texans fans know, our team has the talent and as aggresive as this offseason is sounding and the compitence of the coaching staff and players on the schemes, its hard for me to stear away from us flirting with a playoff seed this year. Others that don't pay attention to the Texans, the rest of the NFL, don't know about the talented team that we do. Of all honesty, Jax and Tennesee aren't very good. Jaxonville has a hard nosed D but thats about it. We've been trading games with these teams for four years now under a poor staff. Call me a Homer on this post but I honestly believe that this team wont go below 500. Now with a staff that knows the positions they are coaching, we can reveal the true talant of this TEAM.

jagibelieve
07-09-2006, 06:53 AM
All of us as Texans fans know, our team has the talent and as aggresive as this offseason is sounding and the compitence of the coaching staff and players on the schemes, its hard for me to stear away from us flirting with a playoff seed this year. Others that don't pay attention to the Texans, the rest of the NFL, don't know about the talented team that we do. Of all honesty, Jax and Tennesee aren't very good. Jaxonville has a hard nosed D but thats about it. We've been trading games with these teams for four years now under a poor staff. Call me a Homer on this post but I honestly believe that this team wont go below 500. Now with a staff that knows the positions they are coaching, we can reveal the true talant of this TEAM.
Ok, I'll call you a homer. How can you say that Jacksonville is not very good? Please don't bring up the "easy schedule" thing. A 12-4 season and playoff appearance with the number of injuries that we had is not exactly the example of "not very good".

Honestly, 2008 is a realistic goal for the Texans.

DocBar
07-09-2006, 07:17 AM
Ok, I'll call you a homer. How can you say that Jacksonville is not very good? Please don't bring up the "easy schedule" thing. A 12-4 season and playoff appearance with the number of injuries that we had is not exactly the example of "not very good".

We've discussed the "ease of schedule" thing, but besides the D, is Jax really all that good? Where do you see the Jags O this season? Fred Taylor is a good RB but is as injury prone as DD and has a lot more wear and tear on his body. You have some interesting matchups with yor receiving corps, but is Leftwich really the QB to get the job done? I think the Texans can match up to y'all head-to-head pretty well. Matt Jones is the biggest threat I see. Is he better than AJ or EM? With his size and speed, he could be. I'm guessing on some of this. I enjoy the NFL but LOVE the Texans and pay much more attention to them than the rest of the league. Kinda makes me a homer, too.

jagibelieve
07-09-2006, 08:50 AM
I understand what you are saying about being a homer DocBar. I know more about our team than any other NFL team. To answer your questions honestly. I think the O is improved over last season. First and most important is the O line. Bringing Barnes in at LT for the latter part of the season gave him some valuable experience, especially when his play was better than Salaam and Pearson. At RT Williams is back, and fully recovered from injury issues from last season as is Meester. The health of the O line is really key for us.

Yes Fred Taylor is a question as always. However, this season he is coming back healthy, and not recovering from any kind of injury or off season surgery like he was last season. Behind him is a pounder in Greg Jones and a very good rookie prospect in Drew. The other 3 backs on the roster are decent veterans, although none really stand out as elite.

Honestly I do feel that Leftwich is the QB to get it done. His greatest strengths are his ability to see the whole field and spread the ball around. He also has the best arm of our 3 QB's and has improved over the last 3 seasons. If he plays all 16 games he will easily be in the top 10 as far as QB ranking.

At receiver, Matt Jones is coming along well, and has some really big shoes to fill with Jimmy Smith retireing. Earnest Wilford is a really good possesion receiver, and we do have another rookie prospect at TE with Lewis.

Overall, the biggest factor for our offense is health and lack of injuries, just like any other NFL team. You are right, we do match up very well. As I have said before on numerous other threads, the key for your team is fixing the O line first.

HJam72
07-09-2006, 08:58 AM
We got swept by everybody but the Boy Scouts last year. The Titans have been there so quit yer *****in.

Are you sure, 'cuz I don't remember beating the Boy Scouts? :hides:

DocBar
07-09-2006, 09:01 AM
Are you sure, 'cuz I don't remember beating the Boy Scouts? :hides:
Only cuz we didn't play them!!!!

TexanBorn51
07-09-2006, 11:04 AM
One too many for the cat eh I like that pic. Well the Oilers did it back in 1975 and such and one game from the Super B. They turned it around pretty quick with some coach and player changes...check out that five year era. Houston was in a frenzy with a surprising welcome. Man did that Tyler Rose opened up some NFL fans eyes back then.:fans:

MorKnolle
07-09-2006, 01:48 PM

Don't mean to provoke the argument anymore, but the Jags strength of schedule last year was 0.465 (7th easiest in the league). For comparison's sake the Texans' strength of schedule was 5th hardest in the league at 0.535.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9137410

bayoudreamn
07-10-2006, 01:10 AM
The Titans sortof went to a SB a few years back....

That's history....we're talking about the future

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-10-2006, 09:03 AM

We will never make the playoffs. You know, that's a good point.

Wait a minute ... we went to the SUPER BOWL:trophy:

And not one other AFC south team can say that (and no, the Baltimore Colts don't count)

DocBar
07-10-2006, 10:03 AM

And not one other AFC south team can say that (and no, the Baltimore Colts don't count)
That's what I like about Thumbtack fans...they're sharp as...well...thumbtacks. I just want you to know that I will hate you for being able to say that until WE can say it too!!!!
:hunter: :chicken:

jagibelieve
07-10-2006, 11:08 AM

I love that about tack fans. They like to play the "we used to" card all the time. I guess it makes being in the cellar that much more tolerable.

OOPS! Did I start some smack? Sorry!

To get back on topic, I still stand by my earlier prediction of the Texans making it to the playoffs in 08.

DocBar
07-10-2006, 11:13 AM
I love that about tack fans. They like to play the "we used to" card all the time. I guess it makes being in the cellar that much more tolerable.

To get back on topic, I still stand by my earlier prediction of the Texans making it to the playoffs in 08.
The Tacks are a day late and a YARD short. Jags, '07 AT THE LATEST!!!!!! Get with the program, man!!!! Hey, do you have a link to the Jags message boards? I wanna talk some East Coast smack!!!

jagibelieve
07-10-2006, 11:19 AM
The Tacks are a day late and a YARD short. Jags, '07 AT THE LATEST!!!!!! Get with the program, man!!!! Hey, do you have a link to the Jags message boards? I wanna talk some East Coast smack!!!
LOL. I guess I got a different program. Mine says 08.:redtowel:

The regular mb is at jaguars.com. There is a better one at Jagnation.com.

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-10-2006, 01:17 PM

So, by that reasoning you shouldn't even talk about your 12-4 record last year. Cause that was in the "past" ... right?

When the Jags or Texans get to a Super Bowl we will continue this conversation.

thunderkyss
07-10-2006, 01:24 PM
So, by that reasoning you shouldn't even talk about your 12-4 record last year. Cause that was in the "past" ... right?

When the Jags or Texans get to a Super Bowl we will continue this conversation.

This conversation has nothing to do with the Titans, or the Titans in a superbowl....... or a Titan on a Texans MB...........

realistically when will the Texans get to the playoffs??

'06

and the Titans will be dragging ass in the AFC south.

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-10-2006, 01:34 PM
This conversation has nothing to do with the Titans, or the Titans in a superbowl....... or a Titan on a Texans MB...........

realistically when will the Texans get to the playoffs??

'06

and the Titans will be dragging ass in the AFC south.

I am going to ask you a serious question:

You stated that the Texans will make the playoffs this year correct? Well you do realize that you need 10+ wins to make the playoffs. You do realize that you have one of the hardest schedules in the league.

So by that statement are you saying the Texans will go 10-6, 11-5?

Because you do realize that going 8-8 and 9-7 doesn't get you in the playoffs, right?

Tulip
07-10-2006, 01:42 PM
I'm optimistic about 2007. It seems like too much for this year, but I think they have shot next year.

Now, I'm not optimistic that they'll win their first playoff game that soon. I get a lot of flack at home for saying things like this - but the Texans are a team that needs to learn to win.

thunderkyss
07-10-2006, 02:16 PM
I am going to ask you a serious question:

You stated that the Texans will make the playoffs this year correct? Well you do realize that you need 10+ wins to make the playoffs. You do realize that you have one of the hardest schedules in the league.

So by that statement are you saying the Texans will go 10-6, 11-5?

Because you do realize that going 8-8 and 9-7 doesn't get you in the playoffs, right?

There is no doubt in my mind, that we will get between 10 & 13 wins...... I'm predicting 13-3.. avg 30 points pergame, allowing less than 18 points per game.... & sending 3 players to the porbowl....... Dunta, Mario, and DD.

We're sweeping the Jags, and the Titans......... I've said we'll sweep the whole division, but realistically, we might lose one game to the Colts.... maybe.

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-10-2006, 02:23 PM
There is no doubt in my mind, that we will get between 10 & 13 wins...... I'm predicting 13-3.. avg 30 points pergame, allowing less than 18 points per game.... & sending 3 players to the porbowl....... Dunta, Mario, and DD.

We're sweeping the Jags, and the Titans......... I've said we'll sweep the whole division, but realistically, we might lose one game to the Colts.... maybe.

OK, im going to give you the benefit of the doubt. Let's just say you beat the teams that i have ANY question about, here's how you will end up (and this is me being VERY generous):

Sep 10 Philadelphia 1:00pm WIN
Sep 17 @Indianapolis 1:00pm LOSS
Sep 24 Washington 1:00pm LOSS
Oct 1 Miami 1:00pm WIN
Week 5 BYE
Oct 15 @Dallas 1:00pm LOSS
Oct 22 Jacksonville 1:00pm LOSS
Oct 29 @Tennessee 1:00pm LOSS
Nov 5 @N.Y. Giants 1:00pm LOSS
Nov 12 @Jacksonville 1:00pm LOSS
Nov 19 Buffalo 1:00pm WIN
Nov 26 @N.Y. Jets 1:00pm WIN
Dec 3 @Oakland 4:05pm WIN
Dec 10 Tennessee 1:00pm WIN
Dec 17 @New England 1:00pm LOSS
Dec 24 Indianapolis 1:00pm LOSS
Dec 31 Cleveland WIN

With that schedule there's no way in hell you're doing better than 7-9. I'm sorry. No way in helllllllllllll.

thunderkyss
07-10-2006, 02:29 PM
OK, im going to give you the benefit of the doubt. Let's just say you beat the teams that i have ANY question about, here's how you will end up (and this is me being VERY generous):

Week 5 BYE
Dec 31 Cleveland WIN

With that schedule there's no way in hell you're doing better than 7-9. I'm sorry. No way in helllllllllllll.

I think it's pretty obvious you & I aren't on the same page....... I see us going 13-3, you don't..

I have no clue what you see on your team, to make you think you'll win a game......... at all. but you see it somewhere......

We're going to avg 30points on offense, & give up less than 18......... obviously you think I'm a little off on one of those.... where??

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-10-2006, 02:43 PM
I think it's pretty obvious you & I aren't on the same page....... I see us going 13-3, you don't..

I have no clue what you see on your team, to make you think you'll win a game......... at all. but you see it somewhere......

We're going to avg 30points on offense, & give up less than 18......... obviously you think I'm a little off on one of those.... where??

30 points? Before Eric Moulds I could name 3 people on your offense and I follow the NFL closely. You're in dream land if you think the Texans are averaging 30 points a game. David Carr shows ZERO proof that he can even lead your team to an 8-8 season, much less a winning season at all. And you're proclaiming 13-3????

Vambo, the Marble Eye
07-10-2006, 02:47 PM
Not sure I follow....I would be happy if we split all these games. It would be nice to at least sweep the Titans, but I could live with going 3-3 in the division. My original statement was in response to someone that always take a stab at Carr every chance he gets.....like or not he is our qb and the perosnal vendetta is getting old. It is okay to criticize and all, especially if it is sometimes constructive, but geez...:deadhorse

I was quoting my minimum... and going 3 - 3 adds some credibility that the changes by all involved mean something. If we win at home... that is "so much the better".

Vambo, the Marble Eye
07-10-2006, 02:52 PM
I take umbrage with that. You, sir, are obviously a Colts fan. If the Texans don't win 17 games this year, it will be a crime!!! A CRIME, I say!!!
:sarcasm:

Shoot for the moon and include a playoff win... I raise you...18 games.

jerek
07-10-2006, 02:58 PM

Week 5 BYE
Dec 31 Cleveland WIN

That's a pretty good workup, IMO. However I would add to that that we *can* beat the Titans twice, the Giants, the Jags once, and the Redskins, of those the Giants being the least likely to lose to us. I don't see us beating the Colts this year and I think 10-6 is *possible* within any reasonable probability. Now of course, of those wins that you highlight, it is also quite possible that we will drop 1-3 of those ... IMO 9 wins max this year. I have no idea where in the world tkyss is pulling 13 out of ... I'm not going to say it's *impossible* ... but that we're going to have to witness a turnaround of epic and historical proportions in terms of our team gelling and catching lucky breaks (e.g. multiple key injuries to opponents).

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-10-2006, 03:01 PM
That's a pretty good workup, IMO. However I would add to that that we *can* beat the Titans twice, the Giants, the Jags once, and the Redskins, of those the Giants being the least likely to lose to us. I don't see us beating the Colts this year and I think 10-6 is *possible* within any reasonable probability. Now of course, of those wins that you highlight, it is also quite possible that we will drop 1-3 of those ... IMO 9 wins max this year. I have no idea where in the world tkyss is pulling 13 out of ... I'm not going to say it's *impossible* ... but that we're going to have to witness a turnaround of epic and historical proportions in terms of our team gelling and catching lucky breaks (e.g. multiple key injuries to opponents).

I don't know man. The Giants are pretty tough. I hope we all sweep the NFC teams. I hate the NFC.

Hardcore Texan
07-10-2006, 03:17 PM

I think we have a good shot at beating the cowgirls.

HOOK'EM
07-10-2006, 03:19 PM
..............tha Meatballs aint sweepin' jack this year & will be lucky to win 2 games! I see you guys going 2-14 and drafting Brady Quinn with the first overall pick in 07'.

jerek
07-10-2006, 03:19 PM
I think we have a good shot at beating the cowgirls.

Crike, I meant to include them but didn't. I agree ... it's a rivalry game, and we're talking two teams of now comparable talent and coaching. I think it's very possible we beat the Cowgirls and in some ways this season will be a success if we do that and little else. Don't know who will cover TO but I figure we can limit the rest of their offense ... should be a time for our D and our blitz game to shine.

jerek
07-10-2006, 03:21 PM
..............tha Meatballs aint sweepin' jack this year & will be lucky to win 2 games! I see you guys going 2-14 and drafting Brady Quinn with the first overall pick in 07'.

Meatballs? Who are the meatballs? And why all the ellipses? ... Or is your period key stuck?

HOOK'EM
07-10-2006, 03:22 PM
as far as the mighty Texans, I see us at 9-7 this year just missing the playoffs. Then next year playoff bound!:redtowel:

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-10-2006, 03:23 PM

Is that what the Jaguars are going to change their name to after the move to L.A.? Do you have insider information?!

thunderkyss
07-10-2006, 03:24 PM
30 points? Before Eric Moulds I could name 3 people on your offense and I follow the NFL closely. You're in dream land if you think the Texans are averaging 30 points a game. David Carr shows ZERO proof that he can even lead your team to an 8-8 season, much less a winning season at all. And you're proclaiming 13-3????

you know that story about the little boy who stuck his finger in the dam?? where he believed if he took his finger out, then the dam will be overpowered, and just break?? & the town will be overflowed by the power and rush of the Water??

Well in Houston, Capers was the finger..... so you better watch out....

I've always believed our two biggest problems, were our conservative approach on both sides of the ball, and depth...... both have been adressed.

4 out of our 5 OLinemen have been "practicing" their run blocking techniques for the past two seasons..... our QB was a bit cramped with options on who to throw the ball to........ he now has a plethora of targets, and if he has to dump off to DD...... the little fella has proven to be an effective reciever out of the backfield.

We've got two #1 recievers, and a guy who likes to throw deep......... not bad, when both our #1s are speedsters. Then we've got Mathis...... and a whole stable of young fast recievers, and runningbacks who can catch the ball...... whether we are in a two wideout set, four Wides, single back.... we will never have less than 4 legit recieving threats on the field.... and none of them are rookies...

Defensively, our linemen are going to pressure the QB all day long..... because that's all they've got to do.... And we've either got 1st round talent, or late round picks who've overachieved. Williams, Smith, Payne, Babin, Peek, Kalu, Weaver...... we'll be sending them deep into the 4th qtr...... fresh, ready to go.

two 1st round Corners..... both capable of playing shutdown coverage........ put them in cover 2 situations, with the pass rush I'm envisioning........ it's over, call it a day..... you won't be passing on these two..

30 points on offense, less than 18 given up by the deffense.....

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-10-2006, 03:29 PM
you know that story about the little boy who stuck his finger in the dam?? where he believed if he took his finger out, then the dam will be overpowered, and just break?? & the town will be overflowed by the power and rush of the Water??

Well in Houston, Capers was the finger..... so you better watch out....

I've always believed our two biggest problems, were our conservative approach on both sides of the ball, and depth...... both have been adressed.

4 out of our 5 OLinemen have been "practicing" their run blocking techniques for the past two seasons..... our QB was a bit cramped with options on who to throw the ball to........ he now has a plethora of targets, and if he has to dump off to DD...... the little fella has proven to be an effective reciever out of the backfield.

We've got two #1 recievers, and a guy who likes to throw deep......... not bad, when both our #1s are speedsters. Then we've got Mathis...... and a whole stable of young fast recievers, and runningbacks who can catch the ball...... whether we are in a two wideout set, four Wides, single back.... we will never have less than 4 legit recieving threats on the field.... and none of them are rookies...

Defensively, our linemen are going to pressure the QB all day long..... because that's all they've got to do.... And we've either got 1st round talent, or late round picks who've overachieved. Williams, Smith, Payne, Babin, Peek, Kalu, Weaver...... we'll be sending them deep into the 4th qtr...... fresh, ready to go.

two 1st round Corners..... both capable of playing shutdown coverage........ put them in cover 2 situations, with the pass rush I'm envisioning........ it's over, call it a day..... you won't be passing on these two..

30 points on offense, less than 18 given up by the deffense.....

Well with that good of a team you should easily go 16-0.

HOOK'EM
07-10-2006, 03:45 PM
Hey, don't act like you don't know who the Flaming Meatballs are.

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-10-2006, 03:46 PM
Hey, don't act like you don't know who the Flaming Meatballs are.

That's just not a very good nick-name. Meatballs are good.

thunderkyss
07-10-2006, 05:16 PM
Well with that good of a team you should easily go 16-0.

now that's just being silly.......... :francis:

:bananasplit:

TexanBorn51
07-10-2006, 07:54 PM
I will always go back to the Oiler era around 74-77 when it comes to people bragging that a team cannot turn it around in a season or two. They most definitely did I would post the history stats again but I already did the whole schmoo on another posts months ago. they were something like 4 wins one season to all of sudden one game from the Super B and a few playoffs. They changed coaches and a few players and they were on their way. I challenge anyone to contest those stats during that year or two... check it out. They can do it yes it is possible stats are good but only numbers that don't show many actual reasons why they are the way they are numerically. THe last four games last year they had points man but lost in the 4th by strong offense but it was really weak defense procedures, players, and coaching to mention a few. By the way strong teams are known to go the other way too like going down. They say once your on top it's hard to stay on top for good. TheTexans really-listically can go to the playoffs this year. Last week I was in Vegas and Laughlin at other times and its' 8/1 odds right now to win the division. I layed it down.

The Pencil Neck
07-10-2006, 09:24 PM
I will always go back to the Oiler era around 74-77 when it comes to people bragging that a team cannot turn it around in a season or two. They most definitely did I would post the history stats again but I already did the whole schmoo on another posts months ago. they were something like 4 wins one season to all of sudden one game from the Super B and a few playoffs. They changed coaches and a few players and they were on their way.

Yeah, 1-13 in 73, 7-7 in 74, and then 10-4 in 75 but that wsan't the year they went deep in the playoffs.

Then they back to 5-9 in 76, 8-6, and FINALLY 10-6 in 78 and one game from the SB. So it wasn't really an immediate turn around.

Those two 1-13 seasons were from hell, though. Aaaack.

Erratic Assassin
07-10-2006, 09:50 PM

QBs get too much credit when things work and too much blame when things don't. It doesn't come down to who has the best QB, it comes down to the team who has the best team. Floyd Reese is a much better GM than Casserly ever was. Years of good drafts versus years of poor drafts will give Tennessee the edge, not a single player.

TexanBorn51
07-10-2006, 09:54 PM
True Pencil Neck but those are just stats of wins and losses off the top but these are the reasons why...Coach change with Bum in 75 (vs coach change Kubiak) and Tyler Rose in 78(vs player changes this year), had a few injuries and less divisions etc read on...75-80 one losing season with coach change Bum...great turnaround "luv ya blue"...

1973: To say the Oilers season was miserable would be an understatement, as Coach Bill Peterson is fired after a 0-5 start. The Oilers whose record under Peterson was a humiliating 1-18, would be led the rest of the season by Hall of Fame Coach Sid Gilman. However, not even Gilman could help, as the Oilers lost their next 2 before beating the Colts 31-27 in Baltimore for their only win of the season, as they finished the season with a 1-13 record, being outscored 447-199 on the season.

1974: Sid Gilman remains head coach but hires Bum Philips to be the defensive coordinator so he could be groomed to replace him. The Oilers would start the season off by winning their first game at the Astrodome 21-14 over the San Diego Chargers. However, the Oilers would struggle losing their next 5 games, but this time the Oilers would recover by winning their next 4 on the way to finishing with a 7-7 record. Following the season Gilman would step down, and let Bum Phillips take over.

1975: In Bum Phillips first season as Coach the Oilers finally played competitive football again posting their first winning season in 7 years with a 10-4 record. However, all 4 losses were to the Pittsburgh Steelers, and Cincinnati Bengals who beat out the Oilers for the Division Title and Wild Card spot.

1976: The Oilers get off to another strong start at 4-1. However, the team's offensive struggles would catch up with them as they lost 6 in a row and 8 of 8 overall to close out the season with a disappointing 5-9 record.

1977: The Oilers get off on the right foot again winning 3 of their first 4 games, which was capped by a 27-10 win over the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Astrodome. However, injuries would hamper the Oilers chances as they lost 5 of their next 6. Once some key players returned the Oilers would finish the season on a strong note to finish with an 8-6 record.

1978: Spurred by RB Earl Campbell who wins both the Offensive Rookie of the Year, and Offensive Player of the Year rushes for 1,450 yards, the Oilers make the playoffs with a 10-6 record, qualifying in the newly created 5th Wild Card spot. In the Wild Card Game the Oilers would travel to Miami where they stunned the Dolphins 17-9 to advance to the Divisional Playoffs. After beating the Dolphins the Oilers traveled to New England where they faced the Patriots before 61,297 chilly fans. However, the cold weather would not bother the Oilers 31-14 to earn a trip to Pittsburgh with a trip to the Super Bowl on the line. However, the Oilers run would end in disappointment as they are blown out by the Steelers 34-5. Following the loss the Oilers are greeted by 50,000 loyal fans at the Astrodome holding signs saying "Love Ya Blue."

1979: Earl Campbell continues to establish himself as the best RB in the league winning the Offensive Player of the year again while claiming the NFL MVP, by rushing for an NFL best 1,697 yards, while scoring 19 TDs. The Oilers would go on to finish with an 11-5 record, qualifying for the playoffs as a Wild Card again. In the first playoff game at the Astrodome the Oilers beat the Denver Broncos 13-7, but lose several key players including RB Earl Campbell, and QB Dan Pastorini to injuries. Playing without Campbell and Pastorini in the Divisional Playoffs the Oilers backup would step it up as they beat the Chargers in San Diego 17-13, as Vernon Perry sets a playoff record by intercepting 4 passes. The Oilers would move to the AFC Championship game in Pittsburgh for a rematch with the Steelers. The Oilers appeared to have the game tied in the 3rd Quarter but Officials said Mike Renfro was out of bounds when replays clearly showed he got both feet in. The call would be a back breaker as the Oilers fell 27-13. Following the loss the Oilers would return home where 70,000 fans showed up early in the morning to greet them in another "Love Ya Blue" rally.

1980: Earl Campbell continues to be the rest runner in the NFL winning the rushing title again, and Offensive Player of the Year again with an amazing 1,934-yard season. His season was highlighted by consecutive 200-yard games as he narrowly misses a 2,000-yard season. The Oilers would go on to finish with an 11-5 record, as they had to settle for the Wild Card again after losing the division via tiebreaker. In the Wild Card Game at Oakland the Oilers were stymied by the Raiders all game losing 27-7, as their season is ended by the eventual Super Bowl Champion for the 3rd year in a row. However, Owner Bud Adams was not satisfied, and he would fire Coach Bum Philips, and replace him with Ed Biles.

DocBar
07-10-2006, 10:14 PM
Shoot for the moon and include a playoff win... I raise you...18 games.
That's what I'm talkin about!!!!! Bettin on the river card.

DocBar
07-10-2006, 10:18 PM

Week 5 BYE
Dec 31 Cleveland WIN

I CAN"T believe you just came to our MB's and said we'll lose to the cowpunks. That's disrespectful. You're off by 4wins. We SWEEP the thumbtacks, split with Jags(at worst), split with Indy and HAMMER the cowpunks.

TexanBorn51
07-10-2006, 10:31 PM
True somewhat Pencil Head but read Post 151 as far as 75-80 whith coach changeBum in 75 as in vs Kube this year...

TexanBorn51
07-10-2006, 10:33 PM
Yeah, 1-13 in 73, 7-7 in 74, and then 10-4 in 75 but that wsan't the year they went deep in the playoffs.

Then they back to 5-9 in 76, 8-6, and FINALLY 10-6 in 78 and one game from the SB. So it wasn't really an immediate turn around.

Those two 1-13 seasons were from hell, though. Aaaack.
True somewhat Pencil Head but read Post 151 as far as 75-80 whith coach changeBum in 75 as in vs Kube this year...oops sorry about same post..

The Pencil Neck
07-10-2006, 11:55 PM
True somewhat Pencil Head but read Post 151 as far as 75-80 whith coach changeBum in 75 as in vs Kube this year...oops sorry about same post..

I always attributed "the change" to Sid Gillman. As far as I was concerned, Sid Gillman came in and got things moving in the right direction and then handed everything over to his protege. The big change, for me, was going from 1-13 to 7-7.

So, while I agree that a coaching change can have huge impact and that Kubiak is going to do wonderful things for us, I think using the mid-70's Oilers as an analogy is a bit strained. I'd prefer to see this more as Marchibroda (Capers) to Billick (Kubiak) transition and get a SB out of the deal. :)

TexanBorn51
07-11-2006, 12:15 AM
I always attributed "the change" to Sid Gillman. As far as I was concerned, Sid Gillman came in and got things moving in the right direction and then handed everything over to his protege. The big change, for me, was going from 1-13 to 7-7.

So, while I agree that a coaching change can have huge impact and that Kubiak is going to do wonderful things for us, I think using the mid-70's Oilers as an analogy is a bit strained. I'd prefer to see this more as Marchibroda (Capers) to Billick (Kubiak) transition and get a SB out of the deal. :)
Sounds good there but the first post here was will they be in what year in the playoffs poll within the next six years. I say this year most here have voted next year. That sounds promising and with that summary look at their losing record last year. Most feel they can turn it around within two years. That's going by the record of the polls not an analogy but one possiblity of a then team turning it around just for a playoff spot and with less divisons. Kinda like the underdog Jets and Namath declaring to go to the Super B and winning it.. Everyone said yeah sure right but they did. That's the way the Oilers were I was there in Houston from 65-72 (Class of 69, Lamar HS)and went to some games at the dome and Rice stadium and saw Earl UT play UH who later was the man who really turned it around probably didn't matter who was the coach then. Although not good enough for lousy Bud glad he left. When do you fire your coach when your one game away from the Super Bowl.

TwinSisters
07-11-2006, 12:51 AM
I will add that Joe Bugel ( The "Hogs" creator ) also joined the crew in 1977. Plus in 75 they had Robert Brazile, Curly Culp, Bubba Smith, and Elvin on the D.

Brazile very well could get a lot of the credit for the shift. ( He was in the Pro Bowl for almost every single season he played, 7 for 10 )

thunderkyss
07-11-2006, 06:48 AM
QBs get too much credit when things work and too much blame when things don't. It doesn't come down to who has the best QB, it comes down to the team who has the best team. Floyd Reese is a much better GM than Casserly ever was. Years of good drafts versus years of poor drafts will give Tennessee the edge, not a single player.

Doesn't help, when you have a probowler for a quarterback, and your team is swimming in mediocrity... then you sub him with a 7th round-lucky-to-be-drafted project QB who saw limited time in College...... and BAM...... they win 3 of the next 4 superbowls.. all of a sudden, they climb from mediocrity to the best team in the league.

DocBar
07-11-2006, 07:15 AM
Doesn't help, when you have a probowler for a quarterback, and your team is swimming in mediocrity... then you sub him with a 7th round-lucky-to-be-drafted project QB who saw limited time in College...... and BAM...... they win 3 of the next 4 superbowls.. all of a sudden, they climb from mediocrity to the best team in the league.
Blind squirrels and acorns. There's a reason they call them one-in-a-million. Should everyone start playing their waterboy? That worked out pretty well for the Bourbon Bowl...HEY!!!! Not a bad bowl for the sAints to shoot for!!!!
And maybe the thumbtacks if they relocate to Lynchberg. And hadn't Bledsoe taken the Pats to the big game? Hardly mediocrity.

thunderkyss
07-11-2006, 07:23 AM
Blind squirrels and acorns. There's a reason they call them one-in-a-million. Should everyone start playing their waterboy? That worked out pretty well for the Bourbon Bowl...HEY!!!! Not a bad bowl for the sAints to shoot for!!!!
And maybe the thumbtacks if they relocate to Lynchberg. And hadn't Bledsoe taken the Pats to the big game? Hardly mediocrity.

I just said it doesn't help when things like that happen in recent times.

I think it's time for someone's coffee.....

DocBar
07-11-2006, 07:27 AM
I just said it doesn't help when things like that happen in recent times.

I think it's time for someone's coffee.....
That probably came across harsher than it was meant to be.And it's 2:30 PM where I am. Anyway, I wasn't trying to bust ya or anything. Sorry.

bigbrewster2000
07-11-2006, 07:30 AM
And I believe that you don't really contribute anything at all in any of your posts. When will you bring any real info to a thread besides DC hate?

thunderkyss
07-11-2006, 07:53 AM
That probably came across harsher than it was meant to be.And it's 2:30 PM where I am. Anyway, I wasn't trying to bust ya or anything. Sorry.

wow...... so in your location where you have Humble, that isn't Humble Texas??

or do I need to reset my clock??

bigbrewster2000
07-11-2006, 08:01 AM
wow...... so in your location where you have Humble, that isn't Humble Texas??

or do I need to reset my clock??
Actually he is in France right now, you must have missed his post that said that 1 or 2 days ago.

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-11-2006, 08:40 AM
I CAN"T believe you just came to our MB's and said we'll lose to the cowpunks. That's disrespectful. You're off by 4wins. We SWEEP the thumbtacks, split with Jags(at worst), split with Indy and HAMMER the cowpunks.

You're not splitting with Indy. Sorry. I'm just being a realist here.

rmartin65
07-11-2006, 08:41 AM
This year we will do okay, next year we will make it.

DocBar
07-11-2006, 08:44 AM
Oh yeah!!!! Write it down, mark your calender, send out the party invitiations. Don't bother with the broom, either. We'll bring our own to tackland.

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-11-2006, 09:07 AM
Oh yeah!!!! Write it down, mark your calender, send out the party invitiations. Don't bother with the broom, either. We'll bring our own to tackland.

Come up for the Titans/Texans game. You can party with us after we win.

jerek
07-11-2006, 09:07 AM

I think it's possible we split with Indy this year. Now would I bet on it, as of today, July 11? No. But crazy things can happen, including injuries on Indy's side or, suppose we win a few games in a row? ... Momentum is something this team has never experienced, much less under a seasoned, successful coaching staff ... I think the Texans might stand to surprise a lot of people this year. I still don't see us surpassing 9 Ws, "realistically" speaking ... and probably more in the 6-8 rannge ... but right now there is a lot of potential that this squad is waiting to show the NFL this year.

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-11-2006, 09:20 AM
I think it's possible we split with Indy this year. Now would I bet on it, as of today, July 11? No. But crazy things can happen, including injuries on Indy's side or, suppose we win a few games in a row? ... Momentum is something this team has never experienced, much less under a seasoned, successful coaching staff ... I think the Texans might stand to surprise a lot of people this year. I still don't see us surpassing 9 Ws, "realistically" speaking ... and probably more in the 6-8 rannge ... but right now there is a lot of potential that this squad is waiting to show the NFL this year.

Like I've said all along, I can't wait until it's the Titans and Texans ATOP the AFC south. The Colts are getting so old and lame and the Jags don't have a QB that is fun to watch.

I'd like to see the Titans go 13-3 and the Texans go 10-16, 11-5 every year. That would be nice. I'm tired of the Jags and Colts winning!

srstex
07-11-2006, 09:21 AM
The Colts system has been exposed over the last few years and it suprises me that no-one is paying attenetion until the play offs. Show Manning the blitz- then don't, don't show him the blitz-then blitz, he gets confused every time. And once he sees the turf, he is on a 2 second throw count, just throw the timimg off by actually hitting the receivers on the line, and you got another sack. We can make the play offs THIS year. First we pluck the Eagles and off we go.