PDA

View Full Version : Junior Seau

cuppacoffee
07-04-2006, 10:41 AM
Not suggesting he could come in and help as a player...but maybe use him as a player/coach. He does know the position and what it takes to succeed.

Just came to mind when I was reading an article about him.

From the article..

Haynes did offer Seau two other nuggets of wisdom ---- become a mentor to younger players and don't hassle over a contract.

"If someone wants to give Junior the league minimum, he should probably take it," Haynes said. "Outside of football, you will never find a job that is going to pay him that kind of money."

The league minimum for Seau is about $812,000, but only half of it would count toward the salary cap.

"If someone wants to bring him in to teach younger players about the right attitude and having a good work ethic, he should jump on it," Haynes said.

I think Seau would, if only the phone would ring.

Link to article (http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/07/02/sports/scholfield/21_31_507_1_06.txt)

What do you think? Good mentor for DeMeco?

:coffee:

Hulk75
07-04-2006, 11:22 AM
Why not?

Kaiser Toro
07-04-2006, 11:26 AM
Seau at league minimum? Do not see any reason why you would not bring him. I doubt there are more LBs out there that have seen the Kubiak scheme as much as Seau. Bringing him in would have many residual benefits in my opinion.

TwinSisters
07-04-2006, 11:31 AM
except Kubiak doesn't believe in filling up a slot on the roster with special purpose players. Besides that we already Texas A&M's finest to teach our LBs.

:hmmm:

You know what?

On second thought this is a ******* brilliant idea!

Texan Asylum
07-04-2006, 11:41 AM
Break out the BBQ, time to start the bribery brigade.

Hervoyel
07-04-2006, 11:44 AM
So many times you see stories like this and I think maybe one in a hundred even has a chance of happening. It's not that someonewith Seau's experience wouldn't make a good mentor to a younger player because I think that the way he has conducted himself throughout his career speaks for itself. It's also not a question of whether he's still got enough to make a "linebacker weak" team because I think he's probably better even today than the worst guy we're going to keep.

It's more about whether he could stay healthy for an entire season even as a backup. 37 is up there and stuff just starts breaking on you because you're old.

Finally does Seau want to even do something like this? It's an obvious segue into coaching and that's a whole new set of questions. Not every great player makes a good coach. Most of them don't actually so even if he has the interest that doesn't mean he'll be able to do it.

It's an interesting article but I don't imagine Junior Seau is going to be playing anymore football.

El Tejano
07-05-2006, 03:56 PM
The least you could do is call. Sounds like he will play if someone calls.

All I keep thinking is....What would this do for Demeco Ryans? Talk about a perfect situation.

The reason why you call is because you probably shouldn't plan on Seau playing the entire year anyhow. You have to know that this group is not really threatening for playoffs right now and Demeco could take over at mid or even end of season.