PDA

View Full Version : Mike Sherman.........

Doom Capers
06-30-2006, 02:11 PM
Sherman is on the front page of the NFL part of espn.com It talks about the line a little bit.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/index

DocBar
06-30-2006, 02:25 PM
Mike Sherman (Houston): The former Green Bay sideline boss is getting back to his coaching roots and, along with assistant John Benton, could field a unit with new starters at all five positions. Then again, given that the Texans surrendered an average of 57.3 sacks in the first four seasons of their existence, with two years in which the line permitted 65 sacks or more, maybe that isn't such a bad thing. Sherman lobbied to bring in former Packers starting center Flanagan to aid in the wholesale overhaul, and that will help, but the key will be who wins the left tackle job. The candidates are three-year veteran Seth Wand, who flopped in the starting role two years ago, and a pair of rookies, Charles Spencer and Eric Winston. Last year's starting left tackle, Chester Pitts, will move back inside to his natural position of left guard. Former center Steve McKinney switches to right guard and Zach Wiegert and last year's starter, Todd Wade, will vie for the right tackle spot

wags
06-30-2006, 04:19 PM
"By definition, any offensive line coach is working with the poorest athletes on your football team.

And I thought I was being mean by calling them fat.

Hulk75
06-30-2006, 04:48 PM
Over on ESPN.com right now, new article on Line Coaches................
http://media.scout.com/Media/College_Hockey/500441_shermanLions200.JPG
• Mike Sherman (Houston): The former Green Bay sideline boss is getting back to his coaching roots and, along with assistant John Benton, could field a unit with new starters at all five positions. Then again, given that the Texans surrendered an average of 57.3 sacks in the first four seasons of their existence, with two years in which the line permitted 65 sacks or more, maybe that isn't such a bad thing. Sherman lobbied to bring in former Packers starting center Flanagan to aid in the wholesale overhaul, and that will help, but the key will be who wins the left tackle job. The candidates are three-year veteran Seth Wand, who flopped in the starting role two years ago, and a pair of rookies, Charles Spencer and Eric Winston. Last year's starting left tackle, Chester Pitts, will move back inside to his natural position of left guard. Former center Steve McKinney switches to right guard and Zach Wiegert and last year's starter, Todd Wade, will vie for the right tackle spot.

Next to Kubiak and Eric Moulds I think this is going to be one of the greatest move we have made this off season, bringing in Mike Sherman.

AFD1717
06-30-2006, 04:57 PM
Potentially bigger than Moulds.

carter08
06-30-2006, 05:02 PM
The Texans coaching is really improved over last seasons staff

TexansSeminole
06-30-2006, 06:13 PM
Yes its a beautiful thing. The new coaching staff is my favorite move of the season.

TexanFan881
06-30-2006, 06:23 PM
I like the Moulds trade a lot...we've needed a true #2 since the beginning...but the make over of the coaching staff is definately going to improve our team as a whole. We definately needed a new coaching staff too.

ccdude730
06-30-2006, 06:59 PM
I hope winston gets the job. I dispise Seth Wand.
right now seth is the top choice to get the starting LT spot imo. i dont understand why you hate him so much, i actually hope he earns the spot. if my mind serves me correctly sherman had his eye on him in the draft as well

texan279
06-30-2006, 07:13 PM
right now seth is the top choice to get the starting LT spot imo. i dont understand why you hate him so much, i actually hope he earns the spot. if my mind serves me correctly sherman had his eye on him in the draft as well

I agree. For where Wand was drafted if he could come in and be a good starting LT for us it would be awesome. Also I was really excited when we brought Sherman in and am still excited about Sherman being here, it just sucks that more than likely he will only be here for one season...

Texan Asylum
06-30-2006, 07:23 PM
What do you get when you merge a red faced hungry team, an AFC white collar winning tradition, and a NFC minded blue collar approach to ball...The new look, 2006 Houston Texans!!! The Texans, Kubiak, and Sherman...Look out NFL, here we come!:texflag:

TheCD
06-30-2006, 08:00 PM
Next to Kubiak and Eric Moulds I think this is going to be one of the greatest move we have made this off season, bringing in Mike Sherman.

I agree...but don't expect him to be here long. As soon as the line does a good job, he's going to get hired somewhere else for performing a "miracle" with the problems we've faced since the beginning.

I honestly think that he'll be here long enough to make a great line and for someone else to take the helm. He'll be here 1 year, MAYBE 2 before he gets another head coaching gig...mark my words.

TexanSam
06-30-2006, 08:29 PM

Why? Personally, I hope Wand gets the job. I think Winston and Spencer have a lot of upside, but I don't want a rookie starting on our O-line. I want someone with experience, even if it was a bad one (Wand in his 2nd year).

DocBar
06-30-2006, 08:57 PM
Why would you despise ANYONE on the Texans? The previous regime has been proven to be deficient at evaluating talent, then maximizing it. Give Wand a chance in a proper scheme. He may surprise you.:brickwall

TexanFan881
06-30-2006, 09:47 PM
I hope Wand, Winston, and Spencer have a heck of a battle for the LT position and the best player wins and does a great job this year :thumbup It doesn't matter to me who's playing, as long as we're winning. :trophy:

Hulk75
06-30-2006, 10:14 PM
I agree...but don't expect him to be here long. As soon as the line does a good job, he's going to get hired somewhere else for performing a "miracle" with the problems we've faced since the beginning.

I honestly think that he'll be here long enough to make a great line and for someone else to take the helm. He'll be here 1 year, MAYBE 2 before he gets another head coaching gig...mark my words.
Yea I totaly agree, but this year he is here, he is a Texan...........Who knows maybe he would like to stay here if (sorry WHEN) we (do) get something great going.

Texans86
06-30-2006, 11:24 PM
I've said it multiple times, but I'm still hoping for our line to shake out like this by 2007 season.

(LT) Wand (LG) Pitts (C) Flannagan (RG) Spencer (RT) Winston

That's a powerful line with a lot of athleticism. Potentially a great group of guys to keep Dave off his back.

bigbrewster2000
06-30-2006, 11:30 PM
I've said it multiple times, but I'm still hoping for our line to shake out like this by 2007 season.

That's a powerful line with a lot of athleticism. Potentially a great group of guys to keep Dave off his back.
Not to mention very young minus the center of course.

AFD1717
06-30-2006, 11:32 PM

I like that. Hopefully Hogdon can develop into a guy who can take over when Flanagan leaves.

TexanFan881
06-30-2006, 11:37 PM
I like that. Hopefully Hogdon can develop into a guy who can take over when Flanagan leaves.

He did a decent job last year too when he was in so I think he will be ready when Flanagan leaves. I believe we're set for the long run at OL :redtowel:

DocBar
07-01-2006, 06:54 AM
I think our line will be one of the top 5 in 2 years. Let our new rookies get a seson under their belt, then watch out.
Wand, Pitts, Flanagan/Hodgden,Spencer,Winston looks like an AWESOME line for the next 10 years.
:whip:

bigbrewster2000
07-01-2006, 07:40 AM
I think our line will be one of the top 5 in 2 years. Let our new rookies get a seson under their belt, then watch out.
Wand, Pitts, Flanagan/Hodgden,Spencer,Winston looks like an AWESOME line for the next 10 years.
:whip:
IT's too bad that we wouldn't be able to keep them all that long. We would likely loose a few to Free Agency just like everyone else does.

DocBar
07-01-2006, 07:50 AM
IT's too bad that we wouldn't be able to keep them all that long. We would likely loose a few to Free Agency just like everyone else does.
Yeah, but I can dream. Also, if we can manage the cap properly and create a winning tradition, players just might want to stick around. Is the O-line like RB in this offense: almost anyone can be successful?

Hulk75
07-01-2006, 12:34 PM
In my opinion he is...........VERY good leverage and body balance.

wags
07-01-2006, 01:21 PM
I think our line will be one of the top 5 in 2 years.

I like your attitude, but.... wow.

DocBar
07-01-2006, 03:38 PM
I like your attitude, but.... wow.
HAHA....I really feel it could happen. I guess most of it depends on Wand and Spencer. Sherman should really make this line a great one. He and Kubes seem to think we have had the talent, they just needed proper coaching.
Even if we only have Sherman for a year, I think his tutelage will prove invaluable for years to come(teaching proper work habits and techniques, etc...). So, yeah. I say top 5 in 2 years. Also, the running game is,imo, the biggest factor when rating an O line and we all know Kubes' rep on that subject.
:redtowel: :fans: :redtowel: texanpride

touttail
07-01-2006, 03:56 PM
Yes its a beautiful thing. The new coaching staff is my favorite move of the season.

Soooooooooo glad to see a patsy, laid back coaching staff gone.
Now our coaches are kinda like Bill Parcells, put out or don't play!

Bobby 119C:fans:

AFD1717
07-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Anybody know why Hogdon fell so far in the draft? He seems smart and knows about positioning and angles. I realize he's a little undersized and maybe not as strong as many would like, but that stuff doesn't matter too much if you're a center. I guess center isn't a position of priority in the draft.

Hervoyel
07-01-2006, 10:05 PM

That's a shame. He speaks very highly of you.

Scooter
07-02-2006, 12:03 AM
Mike Sherman (Houston): The former Green Bay sideline boss is getting back to his coaching roots and, along with assistant John Benton, could field a unit with new starters at all five positions. Then again, given that the Texans surrendered an average of 57.3 sacks in the first four seasons of their existence, with two years in which the line permitted 65 sacks or more, maybe that isn't such a bad thing. Sherman lobbied to bring in former Packers starting center Flanagan to aid in the wholesale overhaul, and that will help, but the key will be who wins the left tackle job. The candidates are three-year veteran Seth Wand, who flopped in the starting role two years ago, and a pair of rookies, Charles Spencer and Eric Winston. Last year's starting left tackle, Chester Pitts, will move back inside to his natural position of left guard. Former center Steve McKinney switches to right guard and Zach Wiegert and last year's starter, Todd Wade, will vie for the right tackle spot

maybe i missed something, but wasnt wand on the most poorly coached line in football, and basically a rookie? even with those limitations, he didnt look too bad to me, and during that season the texans gave up the fewest amount of sacks during their tenure.

as for biggest offseason acquisition (outside of the staff), mike flanagan takes that prize easily. moulds doesnt get the ball if our new probowl experienced center isnt giving carr time to throw. ANYBODY who's seen jabar gaffney knows what happens when the qb doesnt throw him the ball. just look at gaff's numbers as the #1 receiver compared to the #2. that's unless of course yall have forgotten steve mckinney during this time of optomism.

AFD1717
07-02-2006, 10:49 AM
That's a shame. He speaks very highly of you.

That's funny.

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
07-02-2006, 12:04 PM
Man TC can't come soon enough. This is what it's all about. FIGHTING for a job as a starter. OL is going to be one of the best battles on the pratice field. Kub. has said that the BEST players will play and after mini camp I think the players know he means it. New sys. will take players time to learn but there is only up side to the line getting better 50 something sacks a season does'nt cut it in the pros. I can't believe we realy have a thread talking about a REAL OL coach and a OL the can have quality BACK-UPS. I'm new to the MB but is'nt it a first for houston? The team actualy has players to compeat for thier natural position? Wait I am on the TEXANS board right? Yes I am, had to check. LOL. Just IMO we have NEVER had a OL. Seemes it always been some kind of patchwork line and players have gottin shuffled around to much, never realy got to play in a single position for very long. Now the team has a true off. minded head coach and Sherman(also a former HC) on the OL dutys man this team is going to be ready for sundays. I cant wait.