PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Our Rushing Attack

TexansSeminole
06-26-2006, 05:10 PM
They broke down best rushing attacks today on ESPN. They have us rated 22.

real
06-26-2006, 05:17 PM

Who was # 1 ?

swtbound07
06-26-2006, 05:25 PM
Dont know, but they ranked us ahead of the titans, colts, and jags.

Double Barrel
06-26-2006, 05:26 PM
Ranked 22 isn't too bad. It's a lot higher than most seem to have us in any given category.

I think we'll finish higher, though. With Sherman coaching these guys and Kubiak creating a dynamic offense, I think many people will be surprised by the 2006 Houston Texans.

Lucky
06-26-2006, 06:09 PM
Seems a little low to me, considering that the Texans were ranked 15th in rushing yardage and 9th in rushing per carry last season. Depending on Davis' health & Morency adjusting to Kubiak's style, top 10 in rushing isn't out of the question.

Runner
06-26-2006, 06:18 PM
Seems a little low to me, considering that the Texans were ranked 15th in rushing yardage and 9th in rushing per carry last season. Depending on Davis' health & Morency adjusting to Kubiak's style, top 10 in rushing isn't out of the question.

You have to rate it on the curve - they are so used to ranking us last or next to last a rating off 22 is like an "A" for us. :rolleyes:

TexanFan881
06-26-2006, 06:28 PM
I still think we're being underrated...we had a good rushing game last year and since then we have upped the passing game and fixed the OL a ton. :twocents: I'm with Lucky on this one.

Runner
06-26-2006, 06:31 PM
I still think we're being underrated...we had a good rushing game last year and since then we have upped the passing game and fixed the OL a ton. :twocents: I'm with Lucky on this one.

I wasn't disagreeing so much as I was interpreting the score.

the wonger need food
06-26-2006, 06:32 PM
Offseason ratings and ranking are pointless really.

The Texans will be a top 12 rushing team this year... bank on it.

sprtsfanatic
06-26-2006, 06:32 PM
It should be no suprise to anybody that doesnt live on the east coast that we get absolutely NO love from ESPN. We should be rated A LOT higher than 22.

TexanSam
06-26-2006, 06:37 PM
It should be no suprise to anybody that doesnt live on the east coast that we get absolutely NO love from ESPN. We should be rated A LOT higher than 22.

Should we be getting love from anyone? We were the worst team in football last season...

TexanFan881
06-26-2006, 06:38 PM
I wasn't disagreeing so much as I was interpreting the score.

I know what your saying. I'm just saying that I think we should be higher on the rankings. Basically we are very underrated and I it doesn't really deserve to be any different like TexanSam and sprtsfanatic said.

sprtsfanatic
06-26-2006, 06:40 PM
Should we be getting love from anyone? We were the worst team in football last season...

No, but rational thinking alone would put us higher than 22...but given the bias that espn has it really should not surprise anyone like I stated before.

dat_boy_yec
06-26-2006, 06:50 PM
I hate to burst the bubble, but as of right now I think that's actually accurate. Our starter is unable to run, Morrency isn't A) fitting the system right now B) healthy. Smith is the only one that has experience and I can't truthfully say he can come close to the performance DD would put up. The rookies might surprise, but considering the situation at RB I can't say they are too far off the mark. Once TC begins we should get a better idea, but right now we aren't for sure. Also about Sherman coaching the line, yes it should be a big improvement however Sherman never learned the system from Gibbs and Kubiak may not know all the nuances and considering the size of the line we currently have I find it hard to believe we will run the same thing as Denver or Atlanta, a variation of the scheme for sure, but along with variations in schemes comes variations in results. I would not expect the same results as a Denver or Atlanta line just yet.

Once the season begins I hope I'm wrong, but if the situation stays the same, then I don't think top 10 will be attainable.

MorKnolle
06-26-2006, 07:05 PM
It's not really a prediction of who will finish #1 etc. in rushing offense, it was a ranking of how secure/certain their rushing games are, and with Domanick's injury history and somewhat little known players at the rest of our RB spots I can't blame them for putting us that low. I think our rushing offense will rank a lot higher than 22nd, but I agree for the most part with their assessment in the context they were talking about.

wags
06-26-2006, 08:17 PM

I don't disagree with you, but quite a few of our rushing yards in the past have been gained by our QB. This IMO makes our running game look better than it really has been on paper.

TexansSeminole
06-26-2006, 08:37 PM
They also all agreed (the NFL Live guys) that they love Domanick Davis and that our rushing attack could definantely be alot better than 22nd this year. I dont think it really means anything, but I always like hearing the Texans name spoken on TV every once in awhile.

jerek
06-26-2006, 08:43 PM

Thanks for saving me the trouble. We will finish top 15 easily, barring catastrophic injury.

South Texan
06-26-2006, 09:30 PM
I hate to burst the bubble, but as of right now I think that's actually accurate. Our starter is unable to run, Morrency isn't A) fitting the system right now B) healthy. Smith is the only one that has experience and I can't truthfully say he can come close to the performance DD would put up. The rookies might surprise, but considering the situation at RB I can't say they are too far off the mark. Once TC begins we should get a better idea, but right now we aren't for sure. Also about Sherman coaching the line, yes it should be a big improvement however Sherman never learned the system from Gibbs and Kubiak may not know all the nuances and considering the size of the line we currently have I find it hard to believe we will run the same thing as Denver or Atlanta, a variation of the scheme for sure, but along with variations in schemes comes variations in results. I would not expect the same results as a Denver or Atlanta line just yet.

Once the season begins I hope I'm wrong, but if the situation stays the same, then I don't think top 10 will be attainable.

I have to partially agree with that but...

I think the key is going to be the O-Line, specifically if they can develop good chemistry this season. It's often been said on these boards that Kubiak wants backs that make the one cut and run... not shake and bake all over the field. His scheme seems to be, the line will open a hole my granny can run through... and she's dead. (I would hope even our rookies can run better than she does.) So hopefully, the guys up front will know each other's moves, strengths and weaknesses early on in the season and be able to adjust quickly and give poor ole granny a chance. I also see a big positive in the fact Carr will have more targets for short passes this year including (Dare I say it?) TE's. LB's will have to respect that and this year not all storm the line still leaving Andre in double or triple coverage. So hopefully we will not be seeing run plays every time on first and second downs and a sack (coverage or otherwise) on third. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we may have the right personel to have success with a lot of draw plays this year. But again, the line has to hold up for much of anything good to happen. So I will admit it... Reggie Bushes are fun to watch and interceptions are exciting, but I am one of those that believe football games are won in the trenches (both O-Line and D-Line). If our O-Line can give Carr some time to do something other than run for his life, and our D-Line can keep the opposing QB from having time to take a nap I think with a little luck, which I think we are due after last year, we may be in the hunt for a wildcard this year. (9 and 7 or 10 and 6, beat Titans twice, Jax twice or split, and split with the Colts.) Let's just hope the lines are as good on the field as they seem on paper. Hopefully, the opposing teams early on will read ESPN and take us lightly, and by the time we have some respect we will up to it. It would really be great to be the Cinderella Team this year, so all you magic faries start waving your wands and you big guys up front... GET NASTY!! :redtowel:

TexanSoldier
06-26-2006, 09:48 PM
Um, I know I'm a "rookie" poster, but I'm one of the idiots who actually paid for INsider, and I'd like to see the link before I take any of this seriously. I don't care how bad our record was last year, the "experts" know we had a semi-decent rushing attack and with the addition of Kube, I doubt ESPN would rate us that low. JMHO

TexansSeminole
06-26-2006, 09:58 PM
Um, I know I'm a "rookie" poster, but I'm one of the idiots who actually paid for INsider, and I'd like to see the link before I take any of this seriously. I don't care how bad our record was last year, the "experts" know we had a semi-decent rushing attack and with the addition of Kube, I doubt ESPN would rate us that low. JMHO

It was on TV...couldnt give you a link, but im sure they will have it on the site in the next few days.

TexanFan881
06-26-2006, 09:59 PM
I'm suprised they wouldn't have a link on insider before it was on TV...for the paying customers.

AFD1717
06-26-2006, 10:09 PM
My head puts us right about 22 (maybe just a spot or two higher) simply because we can't get too many points for potential. My heart tells me we will be top 15 if not top 10 by mid season, but since we get so little respect from ESPN I'm not suprised they have us at 22.

TexanFan881
06-26-2006, 10:20 PM
My heart says 1 but by common sense says about 10th-15th. :redtowel:

bayoudreamn
06-26-2006, 11:06 PM
Let's see....how do defenses play the New Texans?

Andre or EMo gets doubled every down (that's 3 defenders not on Carr)
One defender has to take a TE and one a back (2 more)
The line can handle 3. (3 more) and might handle a 4th (1 more)
Third receiver? (1 more)
Fullback gets one (1 more)

Oh my God.....there goes Carr.......run for the ...... ENDZONE

Hutch13
06-26-2006, 11:23 PM
Wow 22 seems a little low i would have put us at about 15. We have fixed our OL with flanagan and Eric Winston and Charles Spencer and we have a good vet in Antwain smith and When DD is healthy he is a beast.

mexican_texan
06-26-2006, 11:27 PM
I had many problems with the list, but my number one complaint is that the first reason they listed us at 22 was that we passed on Reggie Bush...let it go already...

Bobo
06-26-2006, 11:42 PM
Ranked 22 isn't too bad. It's a lot higher than most seem to have us in any given category.

I think we'll finish higher, though. With Sherman coaching these guys and Kubiak creating a dynamic offense, I think many people will be surprised by the 2006 Houston Texans.

Dynamic offense? The Broncos had two guys that pretty nearly gained 1,000 yards apiece. That didn't happen by Jake Plummer filling the air with passes. Last year the Texans were criticized for running the ball too much. Well, if you didn't like the 2005 Texans for rushing the ball so often, do you really, REALLY think you'll like the 2006 Texans with Kubiak at the helm any more? The only way I can see the Texans throwing more is if they get behind early a lot and are forced to throw to catch up -- which may very well happen. I wouldn't call that a "dynamic offense" though.

Hutch13
06-27-2006, 12:40 AM
Heres the top 10 rushing attacks just incase you missed it.

1. Chargers
2. Chiefs
3. Seahawks
4. Falcons
5. Giants
6. Redskins
7. Bengals
8. Saints
9. Panthers
10. Bucs

Lucky
06-27-2006, 10:02 AM
I don't disagree with you, but quite a few of our rushing yards in the past have been gained by our QB. This IMO makes our running game look better than it really has been on paper.
That's true, Carr did lead the AFC in QB rushing yards and yards per carry. But, ESPN didn't knock the Falcons running game (ranked #4) with Vick picking up 40 yards/game. Not very consistent evaluation, if they considered that criteria.

If I were a Bronco fan, I'd be scratching my head at this list. Denver has been in the top 10 in rushing 6 seasons in a row. Not this year, according to the world's leader in sports. Carolina ranks 9th on the list, but finished 30th last season in yards/carry. I guess the Boys from Bristol think DeAngelo Williams will be the schiznet.

O.G.
06-27-2006, 10:23 AM

That is low in my opinion. I believe our ranking should have been in the upper teens, 17.. 18ish. Alittle above the middle is alright with me.

NEROtheZERO
06-27-2006, 03:21 PM
Offseason ratings and ranking are pointless really.

The Texans will be a top 12 rushing team this year... bank on it.
I can't help but point out the irony that you qualify offseason rankings/ratings as pointless and then proceed to make one yourself.

Meloy
06-27-2006, 03:29 PM
Shhhh. We are trying to sneak up on the other guys. Shhh.

Hardcore Texan
06-27-2006, 04:40 PM
I caught the last half of it, so I missed where they talked about the Texans but I saw they had them at 22. It is okay with me if they have the Texans that low for now, I just want the actual STATS to prove them very wrong. :whip:

MorKnolle
06-27-2006, 05:15 PM
That's true, Carr did lead the AFC in QB rushing yards and yards per carry. But, ESPN didn't knock the Falcons running game (ranked #4) with Vick picking up 40 yards/game. Not very consistent evaluation, if they considered that criteria.

If I were a Bronco fan, I'd be scratching my head at this list. Denver has been in the top 10 in rushing 6 seasons in a row. Not this year, according to the world's leader in sports. Carolina ranks 9th on the list, but finished 30th last season in yards/carry. I guess the Boys from Bristol think DeAngelo Williams will be the schiznet.

I agree with many of you who think many of these rankings are bogus, but I want to reiterate that this list was not a ranking of what team they think will end up with the most rushing yards, this list was intended to rank the teams by the stability/quesitons regarding their rushing game. The Broncos are probably fairly low because they lost Mike Anderson and are relying on relatively unproven Tatum Bell and Ron Dayne, who hasn't been healthy for a full year yet. Similarly, we are ranked relatively low because Domanick Davis has consistent injury problems, Smith hasn't been a dominant RB, and Morency and Lundy (and Taylor and Rhodes for that matter) are relatively unproven. I personally was questioning them putting the Falcons at #4 since they aren't very satisfied with Duckett, but they do have Dunn, Vick, and just drafted Norwood. I'm also not sure why the Bucs are ranked that high, but oh well, just the opinion of some of the ESPN people, we will see in a couple months.

GrandPa
06-27-2006, 05:33 PM
Based on personnel, type of offense and strength of schedule I predict the following teams will rush for more yards than the Texans:

Redskins, Tampa Bay, Seattle, Philly, Giants, New Orleans, Dallas, Carolina, San Diego, Pittsburgh, New England, Kansas City, Jacksonville, Denver, Cincinatti and Green Bay... (in no particular order)

The Texans are about equal to the following teams: Indy, Raiders, Atlanta, Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota and Rams...

The Texans are better than the rest of the teams...

So if you take the middle of the "equal" teams I come up with the following prediction for Texans rushing:

Best would be 17th and most likely would be 21st...

Anyone who thinks top 10 are thinking with their hearts not their heads...

Bookmark this post for post season gloating. One way or the other...

bayoudreamn
06-27-2006, 08:13 PM
Dont know, but they ranked us ahead of the titans, colts, and jags.

That's interesting. We aren't getting much respect toward our chances of moving out of the cellar with our record, but they expect us to have a better running game than a third of the league. Not the most logical opinion IMHO.

DominickDavisFan76
06-27-2006, 09:40 PM
Who was # 1 ?

I believe it was the Seahawks...then the Chargers

DominickDavisFan76
06-27-2006, 09:45 PM
The Texans are about equal to the following teams: Indy, Raiders

Umm... no way..we have Antowain Smith, Dominick Davis, Wali Lundy, and Vernand Morency.....while Indy has Dominic Rhodes and the Raiders have Lamont Jordan...last time i checked Dominick Davis is better then both of them and plus we have a new system that will make him more successful (lets also not forget that offensive line.)

TexanFan881
06-27-2006, 09:47 PM
Umm... no way..we have Antowain Smith, Dominick Davis, Wali Lundy, and Vernand Morency.....while Indy has Dominic Rhodes and the Raiders have Lamont Jordan...last time i checked Dominick Davis is better then both of them and plus we have a new system that will make him more successful (lets also not forget that offensive line.)

I'm agreeing with that 100%. We have a great running game, we just have to prove it to a lot of the media last year. We had a good running game last year and all we've done is build in the running game and enhance the passing game to help make the offense more diverse.

bigbrewster2000
06-28-2006, 07:42 AM
And the last time we checked DD is injured just like always. IF and this is a HUGE IF, he can stay healthy we will do better but since he will likely miss more time I say 17-21 sounds fair.