PDA

View Full Version : NFL Headcoach

BradK10
06-22-2006, 10:55 PM
Anyone else pick this up? Crap talk about INVOLVED!!!

TexanFan881
06-22-2006, 11:13 PM
I'm guessing you got it? I was thinking about it. How is it?

BradK10
06-22-2006, 11:15 PM
if you enjoy the non-playing aspects of Madden more than playing...then pick it up

TexanFan881
06-22-2006, 11:19 PM
if you enjoy the non-playing aspects of Madden more than playing...then pick it up

that's all I do :) I love starting franchises and picking up free agents + trading to make a horrible team a good one. I miss the old ESPN games though because they were very easy to trade in. thanks for the info :thumbup

Hutch13
06-23-2006, 12:38 AM
Good game im the texans ive been playing for 3 hours and just started preseason. its also very tough to "rip off" the computer with trades. heres the review from ign http://ps2.ign.com/articles/713/713682p1.html

TexanSam
06-23-2006, 12:56 AM
Can you actually play the games though?

ensign_lee
06-23-2006, 02:19 AM
Yeah. I was really looking forward to playing this after making my Texans waaaay too good in madden franchise mode.

Anybody have any comparisons?

Do you get to call plays or something during the games or what do you do there?

ensign_lee
06-23-2006, 02:26 AM
Controlling the Chiefs, I happily traded away Priest Holmes and a draft pick to get Bush in my lineup next to Larry Johnson. Watch out AFC West!

Wait...so we have Priest Holmes on this team now? Do we still have Mario? :challenge :spy:

Hutch13
06-23-2006, 04:54 AM
Yeah. I was really looking forward to playing this after making my Texans waaaay too good in madden franchise mode.

Anybody have any comparisons?

Do you get to call plays or something during the games or what do you do there?

yes you get to call the plays and motivate the players.

rmartin65
06-23-2006, 09:54 AM
Its pretty coool. AJ Hawk is a beast.

MorKnolle
06-23-2006, 01:15 PM
Haven't played this game but I've heard a little about it, and it sounds like it is basically everything that I wish they'd add to Madden franchise mode. Managing your team more in depth is one of the biggest joys on that game to me and I'd like to see that imrpoved, but at the same time I want to actually be able to play the games too.

MorKnolle
06-23-2006, 01:24 PM
I've heard it has tons of bugs and some clunky interfaces...I'll wait till version 2 comes out.

Most games generally do on their first release, I doubt I'll ever buy the game as I really like being able to play the games too, I'd be very interested in having them incorporate some of the franchise management tools into Madden.

TexansLucky13
06-23-2006, 02:26 PM
Most games generally do on their first release, I doubt I'll ever buy the game as I really like being able to play the games too, I'd be very interested in having them incorporate some of the franchise management tools into Madden.

They should do that for 07, with the ability to either play as a regular franchise (regular Madden) or an advanced franchise (Headcoach). In the advanced mode you would have all the options of regular, but with all the added stuff. Maybe that would be an interesting combination.

BradK10
06-23-2006, 03:17 PM
I've heard it has tons of bugs and some clunky interfaces...I'll wait till version 2 comes out.

i know of one bug that allows you to negotiate and exit out and not counting a task.

and fully agree on the interfaces...my biggest gripe so far

MorKnolle
06-25-2006, 04:16 PM
They should do that for 07, with the ability to either play as a regular franchise (regular Madden) or an advanced franchise (Headcoach). In the advanced mode you would have all the options of regular, but with all the added stuff. Maybe that would be an interesting combination.

There are a ton of fairly little things like that I wish they'd add for Madden, although I understand them not wanting to make a complete overhaul of the game in one year and end up not having much else to add for the following few years other than updating rosters. They have to make marginal changes each year to keep people interested in buying the game. Here are some changes I'd love to see them make to franchise mode:

-Allow you to run mini-camp drills for more than just one player on your team. It never made much sense to me why you can only train one guy in each drill. They should have some kind of limit and make some kind of age restriction on there to so your 10 year veterans aren't suddenly increasing their acceleration or agility from a drill, but you should be able to run each drill on more than one guy.
-Have some kind of weekly practice plan that will help your guys get better (similar to ESPN NCAA Basketball 2k5). They let you focus your practice time on certain areas (i.e. shooting, defense, rebounding, etc.) so your players would generally increase their skills faster in the area(s) that you concentrated on. Also, ESPN NBA 2k5 allowed you to hire people to come in and train your players in a specific skill which made it more likely that some or all of them would increase in that skill, and you could change the intensity of the training which increased the amount their skill would increase but would also increase the chance of someone getting injured. Maybe it's just me but I thought that was a pretty cool feature.
-Make there be something more you can do with the money you make on there (i.e. after a few years of successfully managing your team it's easy to have $100+ million stored up with nothing to do with it unless you want to build a new fresh stadium every three years). One suggestion is as I mentioned above with hiring people to train all of your players in a specific skill.
-Make progressions a little more realistic. Maybe Madden 06 is better at this, I haven't played that one much, but older versions your rookies and everyone else would have their attributes decrease if they didn't play a certain amount. NCAA football your redshirt guys go up like crazy for not playing, not that they should go up that much in Madden but some players should be able to improve without getting significant playing time in games, especially your young players.
-Make progressions more stat-sensitive. By this I mean right now on Madden they have pre-set levels of improvement by each position, i.e. if your guy had decent overall stats then every skill will go up by a pre-specified amount. I don't know how difficult it would be to change, but I'd like to see a more individualized improvement, i.e. if your RB gets 350 carries in a year and only has 1 fumble then his carrying ability should go up a lot, or if he puts up a ton of yards but fumbles a lot then his carrying should remain the same or maybe even drop while his other skills go up. Same thing for catches, if they get a ton of catches their catching ability should go up much more relative to their other attributes. As I said, I don't know anything about game programming so I don't know how hard that sort of thing would be to create, but if possible that would be cool.
-Make stats in simulated games more realistic. As I've said before I haven't played 06 much so maybe they fixed this, but on 05 and especially 04 when you play thru a year there are usually 6-7 RBs that end up with close to 400 carries and over 2000 yards for the year while most passing teams don't put up very impressive stats. I wish they'd change that up to balance things out a bit and make it a little more realistic. I remember one year I simulated thru that LT had 500+ carries for 2700+ yards for San Diego which would kill any player to run the ball that much. I also wish a team that ran a 3-4 defense would build more towards a 3-4 defense in that they would look for bigger DLinemen that would fit the system rather than still going for any DEs.
-Get rid of the superstar mode or whatever it was called. In the brief time I played Madden 06 that new mode where you take over a single player and develop him was not very good at all, so they should take it out all together or drastically change it.

Those are just a few of my ideas on what I'd like to see, maybe I'm taking the whole thing a little too seriously.

marroncito
06-25-2006, 10:00 PM
-Get rid of the superstar mode or whatever it was called. In the brief time I played Madden 06 that new mode where you take over a single player and develop him was not very good at all, so they should take it out all together or drastically change it.

07 has a major overhaul of the Superstar mode. If your an Olineman the camera angle and moves are different than if your a CB, etc. They actually developed moves for each position so that you can play the game more from a position.

Double Barrel
06-26-2006, 12:18 PM
It's called "Hall of Fame" mode (instead of superstar mode). You pick a player, and play his position throughout his career. For instance, if you're a WR, the cpu will handle the defense while the offense is on the sideline.

I didn't mind the superstar mode of Madden '06 too much. It was kind of fun, but I'll admit I never got past a couple of seasons with it.

I'm definitely getting a 360 for Madden this year. Hopefully EA put a lot more effort into this year's version beyond just graphical enhancements, because Madden '06 on the 360 blew chunks. I stayed with the Xbox version just to have a complete package.

jerek
06-26-2006, 12:54 PM
From what I understand this was a part of the madden '07 franchise at one time but they decided to split it out and make a franchise with it since they thought it could stand alone.

And for the additional $. Hopefully they will remerge the two since they fit very well together and are separated for no apparently good reason. I am predicting for 08 or 09. Headcoach will see decent sales but maybe not enough to warrant separate publishing. They could easily just tab it as something that can be turned off for franchise mode for those of us who don't want it. I have heard EA is very carefully releasing progressive developments so as to get the most mileage out of their resales. Supposedly they have the next 3-4 years of content laid out and essentially designed. Most of the franchise/stat/player progressions are simple formulas and nothing more. They either haven't stumbled onto the obvious or are stocking it for later revision.

Double Barrel
06-26-2006, 01:26 PM
I have heard EA is very carefully releasing progressive developments so as to get the most mileage out of their resales. Supposedly they have the next 3-4 years of content laid out and essentially designed. Most of the franchise/stat/player progressions are simple formulas and nothing more. They either haven't stumbled onto the obvious or are stocking it for later revision.

It is definitely part of EA's business strategy, and always has been.

I've been one of the suckers that buys a new Madden game every year (except when NFL2k came out, circa 2000). This addiction of mine started with the first console Madden was on, the Sega Genesis (back in 1991).

With each new generation of console hardware - Genesis/NES > Saturn/PS1/SNES > Dreamcast/Xbox/PS2/N64 > 360/PS3/Wii - EA releases a very bare minimum version of Madden at the beginning of the cycle. Then each year they add little features - along with roster updates/graphical enhancements - to make us fanatics buy yet another version. The 360 version last year just proved my point. The Xbox and PS2 versions were loaded with features, but the most powerful console (360) got diddly squat.

It's a bit aggravating, because they know what they are doing. But hey, that's business, and it's my own choice to purchase it or not. Of course, they are the only game in town for video football now, so if I want my fix, I've only got one place to get it.

jerek
06-26-2006, 01:35 PM
It is definitely part of EA's business strategy, and always has been.

I've been one of the suckers that buys a new Madden game every year (except when NFL2k came out, circa 2000). This addiction of mine started with the first console Madden was on, the Sega Genesis (back in 1991).

With each new generation of console hardware - Genesis/NES > Saturn/PS1/SNES > Dreamcast/Xbox/PS2/N64 > 360/PS3/Wii - EA releases a very bare minimum version of Madden at the beginning of the cycle. Then each year they add little features - along with roster updates/graphical enhancements - to make us fanatics buy yet another version. The 360 version last year just proved my point. The Xbox and PS2 versions were loaded with features, but the most powerful console (360) got diddly squat.

It's a bit aggravating, because they know what they are doing. But hey, that's business, and it's my own choice to purchase it or not. Of course, they are the only game in town for video football now, so if I want my fix, I've only got one place to get it.

I remember Madden on the Genesis days. Played it off and on in those years and became a regular once again in 2003. Have been playing tournaments, etc. ever since, though I have more or less taken 06 off. Would still love to play you or anyone else on this board. Maybe we can put together an MB tourney somewhere, some time? I have organized tourneys before and the hardest part, bar none, was conforming it to would-be participants' schedules.

The 360 release pissed me off but that had more to do with making release date than a deliberate gutting of features. There is so much missing from that game, it's not even funny. I've heard (and it makes sense to me: there was a time where I and my business partner were very seriously pursuing video game design and we were tied into the industry pretty well. I do recommend gamasutra.com for detailed "industry insider" takes if you're interested) that it was more for purposes of making release and knowing that whatever few diehards owned the 360 would buy it any way. A comparatively very small market at the time so it wasn't as important from a sales/brand standpoint.

I don't mind purchasing the new and slightly improved edition every year, and I've got my calendar circled for this year's (what is it, Aug 9? don't remember offhand.) Just annoys me to see them rather deliberately avoid some of the features that would be easily implemented. Things like AI, general engine including controls and collision detection, graphics, and even detailed and correct situational commentary, are harder to program, and I don't mind the marginal improvements. Things like stat tracking and player skill progression are ridiculously easy: a matter of writing simple algebraic formulas and testing them (tweaking if necessary) to provide the desired results. Like MorKnolle pointed out, the player progression and simulated stat formulas have left something to be desired.

Double Barrel
06-26-2006, 05:41 PM
Some good previews over at Gamespot:

Madden NFL 07 Hands-On (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/madden07/news.html?sid=6149287&mode=previews)

What's new in Madden 07 is how the weather can affect the field over the course of the game. As we played, we noticed the turf getting progressively torn up and mud puddles forming on the field from the steady rain.

Cool! I love it when the elements have a direct impact on gameplay.

Madden NFL 07: Superstar Mode Highlight (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/madden07/news.html?sid=6152935)

The superstar mode sounds kinda' cool, but I'll probably stick with the franchise mode and Live play more than anything else. I'll mess with a superstar a little bit, but I don't like missing out on playing the other side of the ball during games.

texasguy346
06-26-2006, 10:10 PM
I'm going to wait awhile before picking up Madden 07. After the debacle of a game that Madden 06 on the 360 was I figure it's a better idea to make sure that the 07 version is worth paying another $60.

jerek
06-26-2006, 10:20 PM
I'm going to wait awhile before picking up Madden 07. After the debacle of a game that Madden 06 on the 360 was I figure it's a better idea to make sure that the 07 version is worth paying another $60.

Nothing wrong with waiting. I always read both IGN and GameSpot for reviews before purchase, and if possible, I ask around amongst friends and check g4tv as well. Between IGN and GameSpot you will get a pretty good idea on how it plays.

FWIW I think they are going to restore 07 on the 360 to what it should be.

As an aside, I am also very much looking to NBA 2k7 on the 360.

Double Barrel
06-27-2006, 12:12 AM
yeah, I agree, jerek. I think EA is going to put out an excellent product this year. Like you said, they were rushed by a release date last year, so you've got to take that into consideration. The game felt unfinished.

I'm stoked about Madden this year! :fieldgoal

TexanFan881
06-27-2006, 12:35 AM
It seems like EA barely improves there game each year but adds one new feature each year, with basically the rest the same. In a year or two the PS2 and XBox games will be the same every year because of the XBox 360 and PS3 (and this matters because I'm definately waiting on getting a PS3 with the cost and everything).

Hutch13
06-27-2006, 12:45 AM
I cant wait for superstar mode hopefully its better than last year. Does anyone know if you can play on NCAA and upload on to madden?

TexansLucky13
06-27-2006, 12:50 AM
I work at a local video store here in Spring. We got Headcoach last week, and it was entered into our system for rent. But for some reason it has disappeared and I can't seem to find it. I sure hope someone didnt walk away with it, I wanted to get it!!

P.S.- I get free rentals. :redtowel:

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
06-27-2006, 08:33 PM
How do you increase the amount of minutes per quarter?

Hutch13
06-27-2006, 09:21 PM

you cant

ensign_lee
06-27-2006, 09:52 PM

In Madden: you go to your settings --> game settings --> minutes per quarter

In Head Coach...uh........

Hutch13
06-27-2006, 09:57 PM
In Madden: you go to your settings --> game settings --> minutes per quarter

In Head Coach...uh........

you cant do it in head coach i have tried

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
06-28-2006, 12:08 PM
Can you change a player's position? Not just in the depth chart but permanently.

:Edit: Nevermind, just found out how to do it.

rmartin65
06-28-2006, 01:32 PM
Can you change a player's position? Not just in the depth chart but permanently.

:Edit: Nevermind, just found out how to do it.
how? I drafted a lolb thats better as an end. A lot better

Hutch13
06-28-2006, 04:06 PM
I hate this game i think its missing something but i can quite find what it is, it just misses that thing.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
06-29-2006, 03:01 PM
How about the players measurements? Any way to change them because they have Mario Williams listed at 6'7" 265 lbs.

Hutch13
06-29-2006, 03:03 PM
How about the players measurements? Any way to change them because they have Mario Williams listed at 6'7" 265 lbs.

nope im pretty sure you cant

Blu
06-29-2006, 03:08 PM
Once Madden 07 comes out ,we need to have a XBOX live league up and running.

jerek
06-29-2006, 09:59 PM
Once Madden 07 comes out ,we need to have a XBOX live league up and running.

I will create an acct on Xbox live just for that purpose.

TexanFan881
06-30-2006, 12:35 AM

And if someone wants to buy me an Xbox and Xbox live I will too :superman:

Blu
06-30-2006, 12:26 PM
Cool! Go down to Toys R US and say Jeffery sent ya. They'll hook you up. :ok: j/k

Yo! I heard the XBox (Org) "can" play against Xbox 360 on certain games like Halo. Does anyone know if it worked on the Madden 06 that way aswell?
jerek Quote:
I'm sticking to my Org XBox and have a few partners with 360 that want to bang heads on Madden 07.

TexansLucky13
07-03-2006, 01:54 AM
I recently acquired NFL Headcoach for PC. This is my review.

Gameplay - 7

Do not get me wrong, I enjoy playing the game. But I could never put the 300+ hours of gameplay into Headcoach like I do into Madden. Headcoach focuses on a variety of extremely specific coaching actions and decisions. This game is not for the faint of heart.... you will put at least 2-3 hours into the game before you even get to the preseason. No joke.

Graphics - 8

The in-game graphics are very well done. The stadiums look very believable and you can tell that a lot of time was taken so that this aspect of the game could be appreciated. Of course, the stadium is the only real active graphic you will encounter in the game, so you could have predicted that it would be as such.

Sound - 9

Like a good NFL game should, there is a variety of the original Sam Spence NFL Films soundtrack included in the game. This makes your headcoaching time extra enjoyable!

Overall Value - 8

I like what EA is trying to do with Headcoach (though that doesnt mean that I actually like EA). They give you the ability to run a team, from the inside.... in the most detailed way. You set up a schedule, you work in your office. You go to meetings and work towards the goals that your team owner has set for you. What happens if you go 2-14? You may get the boot. That's how it is. Completely realistic, extremely detailed and worth the cost, IMHO.

Learning Curve - 1 Hour

Difficulty - High

This game is tough. It demands patience. It demands consistency. It demands football knowledge. This game is not what you would break out on Sunday before the big game. Winning the SB with the Texans your first year of coaching is an extreme accomplishment. If you are the best at this game, you mine as well be getting paid by the NFL, because you know as much or more than they do about the business.

All in all, I deliver my final warning. Do not get this if you love the hit stick on Madden 06 more than signing free agents, managing the salary cap and making trades. You won't be playing as DD on 1st and 10. You will watch. Motivate the players on the sidelines, make pre-snap adjustment and call the plays.

You are in COMPLETE control. But at the same time, you have no control over the course of the game. Kindof a weird idea, isnt it?

Overall Grade - 8

I know you guys know your stuff when it comes to football. So put it to the test! If you think you can manage an organization better than CC and DC, take the test! I highly recommend this game to my fellow Texans fans on this MB. But beware... if you are looking to make big plays and injury three players with the hit stick.... you will not be able to on Headcoach! Stick to Madden if you love to control the players on your own.

Enjoy it!

P.S.- Ratings are ranked from 0 to 10

Trap_Star
07-03-2006, 09:50 PM
Is the Drafting process more in-depth than in the regular Madden? In Madden you can only basically scout 15 players, and they all end up being busts, especially first rounders...:brickwall

TexanFan881
07-03-2006, 10:29 PM
Is the Drafting process more in-depth than in the regular Madden? In Madden you can only basically scout 15 players, and they all end up being busts, especially first rounders...:brickwall

It's pretty hard to get worse than that...in a coaching related game. The new Madden 07 looks a lot better though:

http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1446/1147312698.jpg

Trap_Star
07-04-2006, 04:36 PM
It's pretty hard to get worse than that...in a coaching related game. The new Madden 07 looks a lot better though:

http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1446/1147312698.jpg

Is this from Madden 07 or HeadCoach??

TexanFan881
07-04-2006, 06:24 PM
Is this from Madden 07 or HeadCoach??

Madden - but I think that screen is for the Xbox 360, so I hope they have the same thing for Xbox/PS2.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
07-05-2006, 05:30 PM
Anyone know how/if you can sign free agents in the middle of the season or make any trades.

Double Barrel
07-05-2006, 05:36 PM
Madden - but I think that screen is for the Xbox 360, so I hope they have the same thing for Xbox/PS2.

EA will probably put in the same mini-games, which that pic seems to reference.

But the Xbox/PS2 versions can never keep up with the graphics of the 360.

TexansLucky13
07-05-2006, 07:08 PM
Anyone know how/if you can sign free agents in the middle of the season or make any trades.

You can. All you have to do is open your calendar and look at your replacable events. All practices can be exchanged for another task. If there is no lock symbol on the task, you can change it by selecting it and swapping tasks. Like on Madden, I believe that the trading deadline is week 6.

Stampede
07-06-2006, 01:02 AM
Well i am in my second season and my record is 20-0...lol. If you aquire decent players and max their potential in practice then the game is not hard to beat. There is a lot of room for imrovement with Head Coach but I like the attempt that ea has made. It would really be nice to have something else the coach could do in the off season. The same ole grind gets old pretty quick. Errr...maybe we should be able to take the team bowling....

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
07-10-2006, 12:05 AM
1 on 1 drills raise a players rating ceiling correct?

TexansLucky13
07-10-2006, 01:30 AM
Correct. Using correct motivation will increase it faster, too.

Stampede
07-10-2006, 12:21 PM
Correct. Using correct motivation will increase it faster, too.
Be careful though cuz it can have the reverse effect also. I never pit my best players against my best players because one of them is going to lose. I have a practice dummy guard and RB that i signed from FA with the worst possible stats i could find.They both have an overall of about 27 or so..lol. I rarely do 1 on 1 drills with my off. lineman becuz they grn up pretty quick if i just do 4 or 5 running plays in the off vs def mode. That way your lineman are maxed plus you get more of a bonus on plays than you do with inside drills. Even then i pair my 1st string against my 3rd string and pair 2nd strings together. Anyone know how to max out OLD DT's...lol..what a pain in the arse they are.

rmartin65
07-10-2006, 07:17 PM
I won the superbowl with the Texans in the first year!!! And I am back for the second year.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
07-10-2006, 07:28 PM
Do any of you use custom slider settings?

TexansLucky13
07-10-2006, 11:56 PM
I won the superbowl with the Texans in the first year!!! And I am back for the second year.

Awesome! You are the master! :coolb: