PDA

View Full Version : I think the Red zone could be exciting this year

TK_Gamer
06-18-2006, 03:49 AM
Hey guys, we've had alot of good posts this offseason but one thing we havent hit on alot is the red zone, we havent really done that well in the past couple years, but I think with the new scheme we could be in for a more fruitfull time inside the 20. with the new targets at tight end and moulds opposite AJ, not to mention some good zone blocking, I think we should pick up alot more TD's whatcha think?

Texans86
06-18-2006, 09:02 AM
We have some pass catching TE and a scheme that allows us to go across the middle, which will obviously open up the red zone. We also have picked up big recievers who can get physical when needed and are also pretty tall, a big benefit when lobbing it into the back corner. We'll see if we have our power back who can get it in from 2-3 yards out. Is Robaire Smith still available to run it up the middle?

sprtsfanatic
06-18-2006, 10:03 AM
I think our offense will be potent in the red zone especially with the addition of a receiving TE and teh addition of E-mo. I just hope we can find a back that can punch it in during goaline situations that is if A. Smith isnt our guy.

CloakNNNdagger
06-18-2006, 10:10 AM
I think our offense will be potent in the red zone especially with the addition of a receiving TE and teh addition of E-mo. I just hope we can find a back that can punch it in during goaline situations that is if A. Smith isnt our guy.

Let's remember that the OL had a lot to do with our Red Zone woes.......the OL gives the QB time, the LOS forward push, and the RB holes. Unfortunately, last year and years past, it seems that the only holes our OL opened up was to greet the opposing D. Hoping this will be the major change we see at the Red Zone this year.

sprtsfanatic
06-18-2006, 10:32 AM
very true cloak...very true

Samer
06-18-2006, 11:34 AM
Exactly...but with the additions to the o-line this year...they could hold up now

TK_Gamer
06-18-2006, 01:48 PM
I think flanigan is gonna really help too, mckinney was decent at pulling but flanigan should get us more push for the 2 to 4 yard punches. could use patrick hape in those situations as a fullback also. I think the amount of weapons we have this year is gonna play havoc with defenses. it's gonna be fun to watch for sure :)

AFD1717
06-18-2006, 08:38 PM
Wali Lundy is going to shine on the goal line next year. I think he makes the team and scores 4+TDs as our short yardage back.

MorKnolle
06-18-2006, 08:50 PM
Wali Lundy is going to shine on the goal line next year. I think he makes the team and scores 4+TDs as our short yardage back.

Why would Lundy be our designated short yardage back?

AFD1717
06-18-2006, 09:08 PM
Why would Lundy be our designated short yardage back?

He scored 43 TDs in college (I think I remember that being a record). That tells me dude knows what he is doing on the goal line.

MorKnolle
06-18-2006, 11:54 PM
He scored 43 TDs in college (I think I remember that being a record). That tells me dude knows what he is doing on the goal line.

That's all well and good but he's not a short-yardage back. He's probably the fastest RB we have on our roster and not particularly a power back that you'd put in for short yardage situations. Jameel Cook, Antowain Smith, and/or Quadtrine Hill would likely share that responsibility.

ledzeppelin229
06-18-2006, 11:57 PM
Anyone else think of Red_Zone the poster long before thinking of that mythical place known as the red zone in football? I mean, I know they were bad last year, but the idea of the place existing with our Texans present never crossed my mind until I started reading the posts.

SAMURAITEXAN
06-19-2006, 01:21 AM
That's all well and good but he's not a short-yardage back. He's probably the fastest RB we have on our roster and not particularly a power back that you'd put in for short yardage situations. Jameel Cook, Antowain Smith, and/or Quadtrine Hill would likely share that responsibility.
Hill got cut on June 14th. You might be talking about FB Nick Luchey newly sign by us on June 13th.

swtbound07
06-19-2006, 01:34 AM
Anyone else think of Red_Zone the poster long before thinking of that mythical place known as the red zone in football? I mean, I know they were bad last year, but the idea of the place existing with our Texans present never crossed my mind until I started reading the posts.

I was just coming here to make a joke about that.....but you beat me to it

AFD1717
06-19-2006, 10:31 AM
That's all well and good but he's not a short-yardage back. He's probably the fastest RB we have on our roster and not particularly a power back that you'd put in for short yardage situations.

Not sure where you are getting that, but I have to disagree. The guys you named will get their touches, but I think Lundy will prove to be the best on the goal line. I can provide other links if you like.

NFLDRAFTCOUNTDOWN:

Strengths:
A natural runner with good vision and instincts...Tough and runs hard between the tackles...Excels in short-yardage situations...Versatile...Does a nice job in pass pro...Good body control and lean...Can catch the ball out of the backfield.

Weaknesses:
Does not have the timed speed you look for...Lacks quickness and a burst...Will not break many tackles or create in the open field...Struggles to get outside...Has some durability concerns...Probably doesn't have a lot of upside or potential.

Notes:
Has a tremendous nose for the endzone and scored 43 touchdowns...The type who does everything well but nothing great...Probably profiles as more of a backup but could carve a niche for himself, especially down around the goaline.

El Tejano
06-19-2006, 01:47 PM
DD has scored very well in the Red Zone we just need him to be healthy.

powerfuldragon
06-19-2006, 01:48 PM
Eh, i'm not a big fan of old spice products.

The Pencil Neck
06-19-2006, 02:08 PM
Eh, i'm not a big fan of old spice products.

Bad experience with a salty old sailor?

:)

the wonger need food
06-19-2006, 03:25 PM
We should see plenty of the Sprint Right Option in the Red Zone this season. At least 5 TD's with it this year.