PDA

View Full Version : Some Texan's side notes.....

Ibar_Harry
06-14-2006, 11:03 PM
I see today that BJ bowled 266 in a team activity today. To bowl that well you are putting a lot of pressure on your knees. I use to maintain a fairly high average and I know that game fairly well. This to me is an excellent indication the BJ has healed. This is a positive in the speculation of what BJ might do. Add to that the fact that Kubiak says he's the 1st there and the last to leave would indicate he is doing just fine. Course it helps when Kubiak says that to. Like some have said may be it would be appropriate for him to lead us out of the tunnel.

Walters is looking very good in the eyes of Kubiak. Another young player making a mark for himself. When you add what is happening with Henry (3rd Wr) at Cincy, I bet they wished they never had traded Walters. Another team zapped by our offseason.

Everywhere you look there appears to be real solid evidence of a very young team coming together. We are a very, very young, hungry, and talented team. We have some important veterns like Moulds, but by in large we are young. We are a bunch of young upstarts ready to burst on the scene. We could be real dangerous, because we don't know what to fear and we have a very smart coaching staff which has a good mixture of age, youth and experience.

I keep saying folks hang on for the ride. Its going to be a long one.

Texas
06-14-2006, 11:12 PM
Analyzation at max...Nice one:hunter:

Tex Trenches
06-15-2006, 12:10 AM
I like this quote best.

"I think he's (Carr) the most improved player from this offseason," Kubiak said. "From the day we walked out here until today, I really thought he was the most improved."

Ibar_Harry
06-15-2006, 01:04 AM
I like this quote best.

"I think he's (Carr) the most improved player from this offseason," Kubiak said. "From the day we walked out here until today, I really thought he was the most improved."

That's not a trival statement by any definition. I still say the previous staff had their heads screwed on backwards. I think Carr has had to unlearn a lot. However, some of his improvement has got to be because of people like Moulds, Putzier and others. I think its also because of what has happened with the O-line. Add to that a coach who understands what the QB is suppose to do. That all leads to confidence and better play.

SAMURAITEXAN
06-15-2006, 01:47 AM
That's not a trival statement by any definition. I still say the previous staff had their heads screwed on backwards. I think Carr has had to unlearn a lot. However, some of his improvement has got to be because of people like Moulds, Putzier and others. I think its also because of what has happened with the O-line. Add to that a coach who understands what the QB is suppose to do. That all leads to confidence and better play.
I agree with you Ibar. Especially this "a coach who understands what the QB is suppose to do."

wicked_wayz
06-15-2006, 05:53 AM
I agree with you Ibar. Especially this "a coach who understands what the QB is suppose to do."

yep can't argue with that

MightyTExan
06-15-2006, 07:44 AM
Everywhere you look there appears to be real solid evidence of a very young team coming together. We are a very, very young, hungry, and talented team. We have some important veterns like Moulds, but by in large we are young. We are a bunch of young upstarts ready to burst on the scene. We could be real dangerous, because we don't know what to fear and we have a very smart coaching staff which has a good mixture of age, youth and experience.

I totally agree. I can't wait. I think our young vets like Carr, AJ, DD are going to have a huge chip on shoulder. Did anyone see the training camp clips at nfl.com? Carr looked pretty good throwing the ball. Moulds looked good catching too. Putz runs really crisp routes. It's one thing to see the pics, but the see them in action, these guys are talented.

Double Barrel
06-15-2006, 10:14 AM

Honestly now (and I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade), what else is Coach Kubiak going to say at this point? I mean, he's not going to call out his QB in the media, and he's sure not going to air his dirty laundry about the horse he chose for the race. We've known all along that Kubiak endorses David Carr, so that's not really news.

While I am certainly thinking positive thoughts about our new staff and 2006 season, I'm also keeping things in perspective that we're not going to really know what this team is about until they take the field.

Runner
06-15-2006, 10:16 AM
Honestly now (and I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade), what else is Coach Kubiak going to say at this point?

Not trying to be an umbrella, but he could have said nothing at all.

If he was forced to address the topic, I'm sure he could have talked for 5 minutes and still said nothing. Coaches are generally good at that.

El Tejano
06-15-2006, 10:32 AM
Yeah the fact that he hasn't held back from any of the other players in mentioning his displeasure makes me feel good about what he says about Carr.

Double Barrel
06-15-2006, 10:36 AM
Not trying to be an umbrella, but he could have said nothing at all.

If he was forced to address the topic, I'm sure he could have talked for 5 minutes and still said nothing. Coaches are generally good at that.

While this is true, I bet he was being grilled about David Carr's progress and had to say something. And like I said, what else could he say but that our QB looked good and is improving? Anything less would seem like a chink in the armor, and I'm sure the last thing Kubiak wants is his QB doubting himself at this point.

I'm not trying to bring anyone down, because I'm as excited and optimistic as the next guy about the 2006 Texans. However, I'm still taking these things in stride. Coach Kubiak is a smart man, and he knows that he's got to build his QB's mental outlook as well as focus on his skills. The media is part of that process.

Hulk75
06-15-2006, 11:11 AM
ďI think heís (Carr) the most improved player from this offseason,Ē Kubiak said. "From the day we walked out here until today, I really thought he was the most improved. Yet he still has a long way to go. The key to David, like any other player, and Iíve already spent a ton of time with him, but Davidís got to come back and pick up right where he left off. We canít go back and work on things that we were trying to clean up. Nobodyís worked harder. Heís been out here every day, but he always has been, so I didnít expect any different.Ē
I am telling you this guy is due this year..........Been a long time comming.

nunusguy
06-15-2006, 11:12 AM
While this is true, I bet he was being grilled about David Carr's progress and had to say something. And like I said, what else could he say but that our QB looked good and is improving? Anything less would seem like a chink in the armor, and I'm sure the last thing Kubiak wants is his QB doubting himself at this point.
I'm not trying to bring anyone down, because I'm as excited and optimistic as the next guy about the 2006 Texans. However, I'm still taking these things in stride. Coach Kubiak is a smart man, and he knows that he's got to build his QB's mental outlook as well as focus on his skills. The media is part of that process.
I'm with you DB, I'm optimistic but at the same time causous.
But the thing about Kubiaks comments were that he went farther than what
was really needed or required under the circumstances. He could have
just said Carr was making steady improvement, or something to that effect,
and left it at that. Instead he volunteried that Carr was the most improved
guy on the team. That's a really solid and positive evaluation and I think meaningful in terms of Carrs progress. But even though I believe it was
sincere, it was also probably in part for Carr's benefit. Afterall, Kubiak has
now cast his lot with Carr and they are both in this toghether.

Hulk75
06-15-2006, 11:18 AM
Honestly now (and I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade), what else is Coach Kubiak going to say at this point? I mean, he's not going to call out his QB in the media, and he's sure not going to air his dirty laundry about the horse he chose for the race. We've known all along that Kubiak endorses David Carr, so that's not really news.

While I am certainly thinking positive thoughts about our new staff and 2006 season, I'm also keeping things in perspective that we're not going to really know what this team is about until they take the field.
So if it was anyone else it would be fine............So if he said Dunta Robinson was the most improved it would be fine.................It really makes me shake my head when NOTHING possative can be said about David Carr without some sort of argument, "O he did not really mean that, he was just makeing him look good, What else do you want him to say". Come on people, something VERY possative was said about YOUR QB and you down play it.

I know we will not know what are team will do..........But come on, is it not nice to hear something poosative about the quarterback and the team.

Double Barrel
06-15-2006, 11:47 AM
So if it was anyone else it would be fine............So if he said Dunta Robinson was the most improved it would be fine.................It really makes me shake my head when NOTHING possative can be said about David Carr without some sort of argument, "O he did not really mean that, he was just makeing him look good, What else do you want him to say". Come on people, something VERY possative was said about YOUR QB and you down play it.

I know we will not know what are team will do..........But come on, is it not nice to hear something poosative about the quarterback and the team.

Not at all. Now you're speaking out of your assumption. (c'mon, Hulk, you should know me better than that. I'm not a Carr hater or anything of the nature.)

I'm just keeping it real and asking what flavor is the koolaide. :ok:

I would feel the same way no matter who Coach Kubiak is talking about at this point. We're only in mini-camps, for crying out loud! I do not doubt that David Carr is working is butt off and is, in fact, improving. I'm just saying that we can't read too much into these statements at this point.

Man, try to be a realist around here and you get fired at from both directions. :tease:

infantrycak
06-15-2006, 12:05 PM

He had 90+ other players (although realistically probably only 10-15 for a statement like this) he could have mentioned without it being taken as raining on Carr except by a select few around here. I don't see any reason he couldn't have said Babin, Peek, Mario, Ryans, Wand, etc. were the most improved player over these sessions. Would you really have taken a statement that "Peek has added weight and hit the ground running at DE and we really think he has improved tremendously" or "Wand has moved back into the LT spot and has really made the spot his and shown the determination and ability to learn the techniques to make him a long time starter at LT" as dumping on Carr? I wouldn't read into the statement that Carr has already progressed even as far as Kubiak wants him to go before the season, but I see no reason to believe Kubiak didn't honestly think he was most improved--most improved could be either above or below the target set.

Double Barrel
06-15-2006, 12:24 PM
He had 90+ other players (although realistically probably only 10-15 for a statement like this) he could have mentioned without it being taken as raining on Carr except by a select few around here. I don't see any reason he couldn't have said Babin, Peek, Mario, Ryans, Wand, etc. were the most improved player over these sessions. Would you really have taken a statement that "Peek has added weight and hit the ground running at DE and we really think he has improved tremendously" or "Wand has moved back into the LT spot and has really made the spot his and shown the determination and ability to learn the techniques to make him a long time starter at LT" as dumping on Carr? I wouldn't read into the statement that Carr has already progressed even as far as Kubiak wants him to go before the season, but I see no reason to believe Kubiak didn't honestly think he was most improved--most improved could be either above or below the target set.

While I certainly understand the perspective, NONE of the players you mentioned have had the issues on this team as David Carr. He is THE focal point, because of his position and history, and the fact that we re-signed him instead of making other choices.

But you're right, Coach Kubiak could have mentioned any of the other players. The fact remains, however, that none of those players have experienced the full impact of the breakdown of this team as Carr. The fans and media have been brutal on him, in addition to the 200+ sacks that he's had to endure. What other player on this team has had so much heaped on him?

His mental state must be carefully reconstructed into a winner, and I have no doubt that Kubiak understands that the brain is as important as any other function of a QB. Part of this process is building him from the ground up. Kind words of encouragement to the media is never a bad thing. It gives reporters and fans a new direction to focus on instead of constantly harping on the past.

I never said that I doubt Kubiak's words, so y'all please refrain from taking it there. I've just said that we've got to keep it in perspective that we've go a long way to go. It's only June, afterall.

P.S.
I'd like to add the FULL quote, as well:

In just a month, Kubiak liked what he saw from much of the team, especially quarterback David Carr.

"I think he's the most improved player from this offseason," Kubiak said. "From the day we walked out here until today, I really thought he was the most improved. Yet he still has a long way to go.

"The key to David, like any other player — and I've already spent a ton of time with him — David's got to come back and pick up right where he left off. We can't go back and work on things that we were trying to clean up. Nobody's worked harder."

A person could easily take this as David Carr had the most to improve upon, too. Although I'm not that person.

infantrycak
06-15-2006, 12:46 PM
But you're right, Coach Kubiak could have mentioned any of the other players. The fact remains, however, that none of those players have experienced the full impact of the breakdown of this team as Carr. The fans and media have been brutal on him, in addition to the 200+ sacks that he's had to endure. What other player on this team has had so much heaped on him?

What you are saying is certainly a possible explanation for Kubiak's motivation--another one is it is absolutely what he believes. We really have no way of knowing which is true. IMO picking the former without knowing more carries the implication that Kubiak is talking more based on politics than belief--could be. In either case, enthusiasm should be tempered. Kubiak may honestly believe Carr is most improved and still think he has a long way to go--actually this is the most likely case IMO (part of why Carr has received so much criticism is because he has such a long way to go to fulfill the promise of his #1 pick).

Oops, you edited to say almost the same thing while I was typing.

MightyTExan
06-15-2006, 01:49 PM
I think he's just keeping Carr challenged while trying to keep his confidence up. The most sacked QB in the NFL gets one of the best QB coaches in the NFL. Sounds like a movie.

bayoudreamn
06-15-2006, 11:50 PM
I see today that BJ bowled 266 in a team activity today. To bowl that well you are putting a lot of pressure on your knees. I use to maintain a fairly high average and I know that game fairly well. This to me is an excellent indication the BJ has healed. This is a positive in the speculation of what BJ might do. Add to that the fact that Kubiak says he's the 1st there and the last to leave would indicate he is doing just fine. Course it helps when Kubiak says that to. Like some have said may be it would be appropriate for him to lead us out of the tunnel.

Walters is looking very good in the eyes of Kubiak. Another young player making a mark for himself. When you add what is happening with Henry (3rd Wr) at Cincy, I bet they wished they never had traded Walters. Another team zapped by our offseason.

That settles it.....BJ is going to play football this year for the first time in his NFL career thanks the amazing miracle healing powers of bowling.

bayoudreamn
06-15-2006, 11:58 PM
While I certainly understand the perspective, NONE of the players you mentioned have had the issues on this team as David Carr. He is THE focal point, because of his position and history, and the fact that we re-signed him instead of making other choices.

His mental state must be carefully reconstructed into a winner, and I have no doubt that Kubiak understands that the brain is as important as any other function of a QB. Part of this process is building him from the ground up. Kind words of encouragement to the media is never a bad thing. It gives reporters and fans a new direction to focus on instead of constantly harping on the past.

I never said that I doubt Kubiak's words, so y'all please refrain from taking it there. I've just said that we've got to keep it in perspective that we've go a long way to go. It's only June, afterall.

P.S.
I'd like to add the FULL quote, as well:

A person could easily take this as David Carr had the most to improve upon, too. Although I'm not that person.

Most positive post I've seen from you on this topic. Not negative, sticks to the facts.....and realistic

good post.