PDA

View Full Version : Back Up Running Back...

real
06-14-2006, 02:29 PM
If/When DD gets injured who should the Starting running back be ?

I chose Smith because he is a vet and should be able to step in and help us win ?

HARRYJ
06-14-2006, 02:38 PM
Morencey because smith is done.:hides:

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
06-14-2006, 02:43 PM
Agreed smith would just plug in and not miss a beat.By the way does any know if the texans are even looking at Bennett any more i thought that N.O. was going to hold on to him?

Bearfan Blue and Orange
06-14-2006, 03:29 PM
I like Smith. He did pretty well in NOLA with an OK line while Duece was out. I like him because he is a bashing RB that will wear down the line and the LBs throught the game and stays pretty healthy.

Texas
06-14-2006, 04:09 PM
If we get bennet bennet will..Otherwise A.Smith

TexanFan881
06-14-2006, 04:15 PM
We will get Bennett and he will start after DD, with Wali Lundy behind him. Antowain Smith is just a situational back and is not supposed to be suited for the backup role.

Meloy
06-14-2006, 04:17 PM
Too early yet for me. I really like what I saw of Morency last season and Smith's stats are hard to argue with even if he is a year older. Wali could come in and explode in this system.

valleytexfan
06-14-2006, 04:26 PM
Is Smith on his way out? I keep hearing that he may be cut. Wouldn't that be a waste of a signing? Albeit Bennett is probably a whole lot better than Smith, but what is bringing on this talk? Just curious.:hmmm:

TexanFan881
06-14-2006, 04:31 PM
Is Smith on his way out? I keep hearing that he may be cut. Wouldn't that be a waste of a signing? Albeit Bennett is probably a whole lot better than Smith, but what is bringing on this talk? Just curious.:hmmm:

I don't think it would be a waste of a signing...maybe we were just trying to see what Antowain Smith could do at his age compared to what Wali Lundy could do at his age and it sounds like Wali has done solid which is probably why getting cut is a possibility for Smith. I think it's Antowain's age combined with us drafting Wali will kick Antowain out the door. We did the same thing to Zeke Moreno, who was thought to be a solid signing last year, two years in a row. So I just wouldn't be suprised for one if Antowain gets the boot.:stirpot:

valleytexfan
06-14-2006, 05:16 PM
I don't think it would be a waste of a signing...maybe we were just trying to see what Antowain Smith could do at his age compared to what Wali Lundy could do at his age and it sounds like Wali has done solid which is probably why getting cut is a possibility for Smith. I think it's Antowain's age combined with us drafting Wali will kick Antowain out the door. We did the same thing to Zeke Moreno, who was thought to be a solid signing last year, two years in a row. So I just wouldn't be suprised for one if Antowain gets the boot.:stirpot:

oh ok, I got it. :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

Scooter
06-14-2006, 06:27 PM
i'd use smith as the backup. IMO we dont have a rookie or younger guy that's ready to carry the load in DD's absence, and smith proved that he could do that very thing last season. morency will probably get some looks in garbage time and be the 3rd stringer. lundy i'm guessing starts the season on the practice squad. i dont want bennett unless we can get him without having to trade anything for him.

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
06-14-2006, 07:18 PM
O.K. keep one thing in the back your heads Kub. has been in Den. with Shan. for a long time how many mid round RB have they turned in stars on their off. I know WL was a 6th rounder and Kub. might be streaching it, But it is Kubiak and he has learned from one of the best off. minds in the bussiness.We (at least I think we can agree) know from the MW pick Kub picked the players in this draft.Coach knows something we dont? More than likely.

Scooter
06-14-2006, 07:58 PM
O.K. keep one thing in the back your heads Kub. has been in Den. with Shan. for a long time how many mid round RB have they turned in stars on their off. I know WL was a 6th rounder and Kub. might be streaching it, But it is Kubiak and he has learned from one of the best off. minds in the bussiness.We (at least I think we can agree) know from the MW pick Kub picked the players in this draft.Coach knows something we dont? More than likely.

that staff deffinately knows their offensive personnel. they've never taken a runningback in the first round, most notably passing up reggie bush this past draft. terrell davis was a 6th rounder, olandis gary 4th, mike anderson 6th, clinton portis 2nd, reuben droughns 3rd, & tatum bell 2nd. whether it's the system, or the player, or the coaching ... or even all 3, kubiak & shanahan deffinately know their backs. i find no reason to doubt anything kubiak decides to do.

what i find odd, and maybe a discussion for it's own thread, is the total differences in kubiak & shanahan during this draft. shanahan loses his qb coach/play caller/offensive coordinator. during the draft he trades UP for a qb in the first round (he'd never previously taken a qb in the first round). kubiak on the other hand is off on his own for the first time in his career. what does he do? he passes on "the best player EVER!!1!!!11!!" at running back in favor of a defensive player. what i'm getting at (homerism, conspiracy, who knows), is how involved was kubiak in denver's offense? is it possible that he, more than shanahan, ran the show on that side of the ball and just didnt get his due credit? either way, it appears to me atleast the confidence kubiak has in himself and his coaches is in abundance, while shanahan might have lost someone more significant than anyone could've known.

real
06-15-2006, 08:25 AM
I.C Morency is winning...IMO, that would be a mistake...Smith isn't going anywhere unless we find another running back capable of carrying the load if DD goes down...I don't think Kubes is ready to put all his trust in Lundy or Morency...

J-Storm
06-15-2006, 09:15 AM
I would like to think that Kubiak N' Co. have enough faith in some of these guys from the past regime (ie: Morency, Buchanon, Babin, Joppru) that the past regime seemed to have really not utilized properly and give them some chance to shine with a brand new start given to them and a chance to prosper.

In saying that I voted Morency btw, hopefully Kubiak will give Double D the odd down off here and there and bring Morency in for that and some garbage time here n' there (moreso if we are winning in the latter end of the 4th Q) to see what he can really do on a more regular basis...

TheOgre
06-15-2006, 10:08 AM
I voted for Bennett, but I probably should have said Morency. Since we are unlikely to make the playoffs, why not see what we have before signing a backup to a big contract?

wrestler4life
06-15-2006, 10:10 AM
Either that or there is really nothing that they can do with them this year (i.e.-replace with better talent) so they are just building them up so as to keep up optimism?
Not my opinion, but a possibility.

TexanFan881
06-15-2006, 10:21 AM
I voted for Bennett, but I probably should have said Morency. Since we are unlikely to make the playoffs, why not see what we have before signing a backup to a big contract?

Or why not make the biggest push you can to make the playoffs? Just because we had a bad year last year doesn't mean we'll do bad this year.

infantrycak
06-15-2006, 10:55 AM

Bennett's contract would be very reasonable for two years in a trade--$700k this year, $1.2 mil next year. Almost dirt cheap. Not a recommendation for Bennett, just an observation.

TheOgre
06-15-2006, 11:01 AM
Bennett's contract would be very reasonable for two years in a trade--$700k this year, $1.2 mil next year. Almost dirt cheap. Not a recommendation for Bennett, just an observation.

You are right. In fact if we trade a player, we might have a savings. I would be against trading any substantial picks for him though (6th is about the highest).

cj5776
06-15-2006, 12:08 PM
I agree Kubes might have a different style from Sahnahan and the one in Denver, and it looks like the Texans have formed a solid passing game, so less dependecy on the running game seems in the works.

However it really seems the pick up of Fb Lechey really makes the thought of 4 rbs less probable, and bringing in another veteran rb very slim also. I am assuming this means more confidence in Morency and Smith. Lundy can still be a productive back down the road and spend ths season on the practice squad.

powerfuldragon
06-15-2006, 12:10 PM
Haven't really heard much about Wali lately...

dwilt72
06-15-2006, 12:13 PM
Please, anybody but Bennett! Can you say washed up?

newtexfan
06-15-2006, 01:26 PM
in the picture I think people are forgetting about.#29

Wharton
06-15-2006, 01:29 PM
Maybe its me, but it seems like Morancy tends to spin alot on contact. Its just poor running. Watch xtruroyaltyx avatar, you don't see Earl doing any spinning. I hope Smith gets the nod for second spot.

bayoudreamn
06-15-2006, 10:44 PM
that staff deffinately knows their offensive personnel. they've never taken a runningback in the first round, most notably passing up reggie bush this past draft. terrell davis was a 6th rounder, olandis gary 4th, mike anderson 6th, clinton portis 2nd, reuben droughns 3rd, & tatum bell 2nd. whether it's the system, or the player, or the coaching ... or even all 3, kubiak & shanahan deffinately know their backs. i find no reason to doubt anything kubiak decides to do.

what i find odd, and maybe a discussion for it's own thread, is the total differences in kubiak & shanahan during this draft. shanahan loses his qb coach/play caller/offensive coordinator. during the draft he trades UP for a qb in the first round (he'd never previously taken a qb in the first round). kubiak on the other hand is off on his own for the first time in his career. what does he do? he passes on "the best player EVER!!1!!!11!!" at running back in favor of a defensive player. what i'm getting at (homerism, conspiracy, who knows), is how involved was kubiak in denver's offense? is it possible that he, more than shanahan, ran the show on that side of the ball and just didnt get his due credit? either way, it appears to me atleast the confidence kubiak has in himself and his coaches is in abundance, while shanahan might have lost someone more significant than anyone could've known.

"By jove, Watson......I think you've got it!"

bayoudreamn
06-15-2006, 10:47 PM
I agree Kubes might have a different style from Sahnahan and the one in Denver, and it looks like the Texans have formed a solid passing game, so less dependecy on the running game seems in the works.

However it really seems the pick up of Fb Lechey really makes the thought of 4 rbs less probable, and bringing in another veteran rb very slim also. I am assuming this means more confidence in Morency and Smith. Lundy can still be a productive back down the road and spend ths season on the practice squad.

Kubes is still talking about looking.....even AFTER the Lachey pick. Two things are obvious:
1. This staff is working from a plan
2. We don't know what the plan is.

mexican_texan
06-15-2006, 10:47 PM
Maybe its me, but it seems like Morancy tends to spin alot on contact. Its just poor running. Watch xtruroyaltyx avatar, you don't see Earl doing any spinning. I hope Smith gets the nod for second spot.
Earl was a power runner. Morency is a scat back, like Reggie Bush.

TexanFan881
06-15-2006, 10:50 PM
in the picture I think people are forgetting about.#29

Maybe in a few years, but definately not this year. He's practice squad material.

TexanFan881
06-15-2006, 10:51 PM
Please, anybody but Bennett! Can you say washed up?

27 is a little young to be washed up. :twocents:

jmerog
06-15-2006, 11:08 PM
27 is a little young to be washed up. :twocents:
I would definatly agree that he is not washed up. I would like to have him but i am also content with what we have. i voted bennet on the pole but i would be happy with anyone of our backs really. this is mostly because i believe in the system and i dont think kubiak will tolerate someone who doesn't produce for long.

i'm excited about this season. I predict a lot of media types- *cough (richard justice) *cough cough- with egg on thier faces after this season.

cj5776
06-15-2006, 11:13 PM
Two things are obvious:
1. This staff is working from a plan
2. We don't know what the plan is.

To me the plan is simple, get the best players you can and yes they should compliment each other. Right know the five rb/fb are the MAD trio (Morency, ASmith, DD) plus the two fullbacks. That could change if they can aquire another veteran rb or if Lundy plays his way on the team. Who's place they take depends on the performance of the others.

Assuming they do add a vet rb, Bennitt or who ever, and Morrency is not traded, which IS my prediction... 1)DD 2)Vet 3)Morency 4)Cook The fifth spot would then be the best back, Lundy or ASmith or Lechey or who ever deserves it.

MorKnolle
06-16-2006, 03:43 PM
If we got Bennett then he'd likely be our #2 RB, but I don't see us getting him so it will likely be Morency.

RT2
06-16-2006, 04:10 PM
Why not take a flyer on Lee Suggs as a back up RB. He is 6'-0" 206 and ran a 4.45 coming out of Virginia Tech. The Browns have given up on him because he is injury prone. He was a 4th rd pick that may be a good pick up for a conditional pick maybe a 7 rd if he makes the team and a 6 rd if plays 50% of the offensive plays.

RT2
06-16-2006, 04:12 PM
He is also just 25 years old. He will be 26 in August.