PDA

View Full Version : Should we have the 3rd Mini-Camp? I think so.

Hardcore Texan
06-13-2006, 01:20 PM
I have heard a few times that teams with new head coaches, and there's alot this year, can opt to have a 3rd mini-camp. I haven't heard anything either way about this. But to me it would be a no-brainer.

It seems the OTA's and the first mini-camp yielded lots of progress. I think we need to build on that and focus on scheme and that pesky little thing called "execution" (not to bring up ole sayings of yester-year). It would give the O & D lines more time together hopefully to gel as cohesive units; QB's, Recievers, Backs, TE's more time to work on timing.

At this point, I think it can only be a good thing, I think the team should take every chance they get to continue progressing towards respectability.

It is great to hear all the positive things about the way Kubiak runs practices and the comrarderie on the team....Let's keep it going.

How do you guys feel, shouldn't the Texans have a third mini-camp?

Ibar_Harry
06-13-2006, 01:32 PM
I have heard a few times that teams with new head coaches, and there's alot this year, can opt to have a 3rd mini-camp. I haven't heard anything either way about this. But to me it would be a no-brainer.

It seems the OTA's and the first mini-camp yielded lots of progress. I think we need to build on that and focus on scheme and that pesky little thing called "execution" (not to bring up ole sayings of yester-year). It would give the O & D lines more time together hopefully to gel as cohesive units; QB's, Recievers, Backs, TE's more time to work on timing.

At this point, I think it can only be a good thing, I think the team should take every chance they get to continue progressing towards respectability.

It is great to hear all the positive things about the way Kubiak runs practices and the comrarderie on the team....Let's keep it going.

How do you guys feel, shouldn't the Texans have a third mini-camp?

Kubiak said no to the question even though he could have. He indicated, read the Texans Web Site on the 12 th practice, that he wants healthy guys in training camp. He is being very careful not to overwork the body. He likes intense sessions and believes he has accomplished what he needs to. In addition I think they want to focus on some acquistions and feel the team is far enough along. I think they want to review tape and see where they are going and see what adjustments they may need to make.

We have a thinking group of coaches who are watching out for their players. They are in a long grueling march and they know that from personal experience how tough it is. They feel a little RNR is good for the body and soul at this time.

TEXANRED
06-13-2006, 01:44 PM
Kubiak said no to the question even though he could have. He indicated, read the Texans Web Site on the 12 th practice, that he wants healthy guys in training camp. He is being very careful not to overwork the body. He likes intense sessions and believes he has accomplished what he needs to. In addition I think they want to focus on some acquistions and feel the team is far enough along. I think they want to review tape and see where they are going and see what adjustments they may need to make.

We have a thinking group of coaches who are watching out for their players. They are in a long grueling march and they know that from personal experience how tough it is. They feel a little RNR is good for the body and soul at this time.
I agree. Kubiak most likely had a plan of progress and felt like it was met during OTA's and the first two mini camps.

I am sure if he couldn't get the team practicing at the tempo he wanted or didn't feel the team responded well to the things they were trying to accomplish we would be seeing a third camp.

To me this is a good sign of progress.

Hardcore Texan
06-13-2006, 01:52 PM
I didn't know that Kubiak said that the team was not going to have the third one. I guess that is a good sign that he satisfied as you guys have stated.

I still think it could be a good thing, it would have to be physically intense, it could be more academic. But I certainly understand the need for R N R, and the coaches can work on evaluations.

Meloy
06-13-2006, 02:00 PM
I understand what has been said & I will have to trust the coaches, but there sure are a lot of guys in competition for jobs and a huge turnover with guys who have not played together before.

hollywood_texan
06-13-2006, 02:12 PM
I don't think this is that big of a deal. It seems like the coaching staff will be working hard to get things prepared for training camp. Also, this is a long process and it is probably better to take this in easy steps.

Runner
06-13-2006, 02:21 PM
I didn't know that Kubiak said that the team was not going to have the third one. I guess that is a good sign that he satisfied as you guys have stated.

I still think it could be a good thing, it would have to be physically intense, it could be more academic. But I certainly understand the need for R N R, and the coaches can work on evaluations.

I am sure if he couldn't get the team practicing at the tempo he wanted or didn't feel the team responded well to the things they were trying to accomplish we would be seeing a third camp.

It's a pretty good sign that he even shut down this second mini-camp a day early. One of the differences between this staff and some other coaches is that Kubiak has a plan for what he wants accomplished and once his players achieve those goals through hard work, he rewards them. If sufficient progress hadn't been made already I think he wouldn't hesitate to practice tomorrow and have the third camp.

Another factor in the equation is the normal conditioning players need to do. During these "off weeks", rest assured the weight room will be a hopping place. The lifting the players do during OTAs and camps maintain condition and help muscle recovery. The serious lifting and running they can do between now and training camp will increase their strength and conditioning.

TK_Gamer
06-13-2006, 02:22 PM
I think the coaches/management also needs this off time to make last minute cuts and additions , they will review the minicamps and decide who gets a shot and who doesnt and who is on their last leg and needs a free agent to push them in or out. in my oppinion this is a big time for management to prepare for camps start.

El Tejano
06-13-2006, 02:30 PM
I am not sure if 3 days is going to bring them up further along at this point as to where being healthy and in training camp will be.

I think it is up to the players to get ready for camp at this time.

hollywood_texan
06-13-2006, 02:45 PM
this is a big time for management to prepare for camps start.

Exactly!

Texas
06-13-2006, 06:36 PM
Yea because if we do the third our team will be set on playing together and more comfortable...LETS GO TEXANS!

HeartofHouston
06-13-2006, 08:37 PM
There's and upside and downside to the 3rd Camp..

Of Course.. The team would be working together more and get more in-sync in lets face it the more the better.

The down-side is that most of our stars are keeping pretty healthy minus a very few. But with more work comes more strain on the body and also comes that added risk of injury.. and the last thing I want is to hear that Robinson got turf toe or has a hip injury or something..

So I'm not sure which way to go on this one.. good luck Texans..