PDA

View Full Version : Ryans, our Vilma?

pittbull
06-12-2006, 09:03 PM
WIth all the talk about Ryans having the intell to go with the athletic ability, could he be the steal of the draft? It's my thoughts that he will. Ryans will start right away, and with Smith's new attacking defense, he will allow this guy to run all over the filed and do what he does best, but with intelligent control. This alone will add to the Texans defense. If the front four is able to add any push, the front seven as a whole could be explosive.:poker:

HoustonTexans
06-12-2006, 10:03 PM
I'd rather him be our Lofa Tutupa (or however you spell his last name). But Vilma is good enough for me.

LORK 88
06-12-2006, 10:17 PM
I'd rather him be our Lofa Tutupa (or however you spell his last name). But Vilma is good enough for me.
Tatupa, Thurman, Vilma, hell anyone young and good will work for me!!

Farough
06-12-2006, 10:39 PM
Right now, Vilma since Ryans hasnt proven anything in the NFL yet.

HOOK'EM
06-12-2006, 11:43 PM
I don't know how much old school either Vilma or Tatupa has in em', but "the word" is Ryans has it. I can't wait to see him and Mario hit the feild!:twocents:

Double Barrel
06-13-2006, 10:44 AM
If it wasn't such a deep draft, Ryans would have went in the top 20. We got a deal and a steal with this kid. I'm stoked about him being here, and word from camp is that he's got the goods and has the drive to make them better. I hope he turns out to be a franchise LB for us.

Texans_Chick
06-13-2006, 11:23 AM
Let's play mystery comparison. Guess who I am talking about.....

Mystery Player
Linebacker 6-0, 230

Mystery Player, was a second-round draft pick of the ___________ in the ____ NFL Draft and the 38th player selected overall. The only college junior to be selected to the All-___ Team of the 19__s, Mystery Player earned All-America honors in both his junior and senior years at _____, where he averaged 15 tackles per game and established a team record with 232 tackles in 19__

Mystery player was said to be too small to play linebacker, but that he worked hard to make the most of his abilities.

Vilma, schmilma, I can dream, can't I?

dannyboy
06-13-2006, 11:34 AM
Mr. Singletary

http://www.bearstalkinfo.com/5singletary.jpg

Texans_Chick
06-13-2006, 11:35 AM
Mr. Singletary

Ding ding ding.

I hate to even think that sort of thing because it is a jinx, but from most reports he seems to be one of those overachieving types. Overachieving not meaning that he doesn't have talent, but overachieving in that whatever talents he has, he tries to maximize them.

swtbound07
06-13-2006, 11:41 AM
good call on singletary

David's Busted Carr
06-13-2006, 12:14 PM
I still remember on draft day that when our 2nd round pick was up it took about 30 seconds for them to make the announcement of Demeco Ryans.

Since teams usually take every last minute to make their decision, this proves how excited and shocked our staff must have been to get this guy!

Hard worker, INTELLIGENT, productive, sounds like a winner to me! His intelligence should allow him to be a vocal leader and field general, something this team has desperately needed since Jamie Sharper and Aaron Glenn left!

With Demeco, Mario, & Dunta we've got 3 future stars to anchor our defense at every level!

pittbull
06-13-2006, 12:33 PM
I saw the kid at Texans Access day. He's not as small as people think. By NFL terms maybe, but not in terms of the man. Strong upper body, fast as lightning and I think he may end up panning out better for us than Mario. It's often easier for a smart LB to make the transition to the NFL, than linemen. Many of those guys fail at the next level. DONT GET ME WRONG. I still think Mario is going to be a stud for us, but Ryans will make the difference in the future. Think about it.......Mario up front, Ryans in the middle, Robinson on the hot corner, if we could only get that coveted safety......?....lol:francis:

Meloy
06-13-2006, 02:20 PM
Ding ding ding.

I hate to even think that sort of thing because it is a jinx, but from most reports he seems to be one of those overachieving types. Overachieving not meaning that he doesn't have talent, but overachieving in that whatever talents he has, he tries to maximize them. Stop it. Just stop it. The season is too far away. You guys keep putting morsels of hope in front of me. I am like a starving dog and people keep waving a big ol' Tbone at me. It is starting to look like we may have a TEAM with COACHES this year that can excite fans. And a win here and there will be like ice cream on the cake.:redtowel:

santo
06-13-2006, 02:24 PM
And a win here and there will be like ice cream on the cake.:redtowel:

Get ready for some ice cream then...:yahoo: :yahoo: :redtowel:

Texas
06-13-2006, 06:40 PM
We will wreck this year! RYANS btw...but I like vilma too!

HeartofHouston
06-13-2006, 08:41 PM
I dont think that Ryans can be compared fairly to Vilma athleticly but I think intelligence and instincts Ryans may have the edge on him..

I believe that Vilma clocked in the high 4.4s and the very low 4.5s when he ran at the combine.. and Ryans clocks mid 4.6s to low 4.7s.

While straight line speed doesnt mean nearly as much for the front 7 positions. Its a noticeable difference.. But nevertheless I'm very excited to have DeMeco hear in Houston and I expect big things out of this guy even if he is a rookie.. :hunter:

Second Honeymoon
06-13-2006, 09:11 PM
Ryans anchored and led a Bama defense that was dominant in the SEC the past few years. The Bama defensive squad almost singlehandedly pulled a BCS bid out of nowhere. That shows heart, desire, and the indomitable will to get it done in the face of adversity (team with no offense). Hopefully he can transplant his heart into this defense, because last year they were severely lacking in that department.

In response to a previous poster, I thought that was classic when the Texans practically sprinted to the podium to draft Ryans. Obviously, the Texans love the guy, so I imagine he will have a shot at starting from Day One. Here is to success and healthy toes. Cheers.

:homer:

doug from the woodlands

HeartofHouston
06-13-2006, 09:20 PM
Heck I would have sprinted to that podium too... :o)

This guy should have gone first round in my book.. and if he's still there in a 2nd. (Chants) S-T-E-A-L.. STEAL STEAL STEAL!!

Seņor Stan
06-13-2006, 09:34 PM
Ryans anchored and led a Bama defense that was dominant in the SEC the past few years. The Bama defensive squad almost singlehandedly pulled a BCS bid out of nowhere. That shows heart, desire, and the indomitable will to get it done in the face of adversity (team with no offense). Hopefully he can transplant his heart into this defense, because last year they were severely lacking in that department.

This is what exites me. Ryans was a leader on a dominant defense in a conference that has a tremendous reputation for "D". The more I read about Ryans the more I like him.

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
06-13-2006, 09:40 PM
I can't wait for this defence to hit the field. On paper it is frighting. Just a little something to think about is the fact that if mario can draw double teams up front this allows LB to take their shots.Ryans and the rest of the crew can have a field day in the backfield.By the way Ryans timed the 40 in 4.70 but i dont think it matters much.He plays smart from everything i've read about him. He was a steal in the sec. round. Hope the coaches use him alot in preseason so he can get ready for the speed of the next level.

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
06-13-2006, 09:53 PM
I can't wait for this defence to hit the field. On paper it is frighting. Just a little something to think about is the fact that if mario can draw double teams up front this allows LB to take their shots.Ryans and the rest of the crew can have a field day in the backfield.By the way Ryans timed the 40 in 4.70 but i dont think it matters much.He plays smart from everything i've read about him. He was a steal in the sec. round. Hope the coaches use him alot in preseason so he can get ready for the speed of the next level.

TexanFan881
06-13-2006, 10:00 PM
After hearing all of this stuff about Ryans' smarts for football and all of that stuff, he sounds to be one of the more sure picks like A.J. Hawk was supposed to be. I'd be suprised if he didn't start by the time the season starts and he has the talent and ability to do a ton for our team.

The Pencil Neck
06-14-2006, 10:37 AM
After hearing all of this stuff about Ryans' smarts for football and all of that stuff, he sounds to be one of the more sure picks like A.J. Hawk was supposed to be. I'd be suprised if he didn't start by the time the season starts and he has the talent and ability to do a ton for our team.

Going into the combine, he was a top-15 pick in several of the mock drafts I saw. But then he ran a relatively slow 40 time (and there were probably some other things I'm not aware of), and he dropped to us. I was really, really surprised he was still there. I only saw him play a couple of times but he played great. Didn't look "slow" to me at all. I'm expecting a lot from him... like just about everyone here.

When does the damn season start? Are we there, yet? How about now?

dwilt72
06-14-2006, 12:55 PM
This may end up being the steal of the draft. I think the Texans had the card turned in less than a minute into the 2nd round when they saw he was available! Not sure if he plays in the middle or outside, but I think the kid has the potential to be a star.

beerlover
06-14-2006, 12:55 PM
it sure is nice to not only HAVE a 2nd rd. pick but to use that pick on a player who can actually play a key role in the Texans future. certainly a key component to the Texans rapid demise in yr. 4 when they should have experienced continued improvement was missing on 2nd/3rd round picks, these are the picks most teams need/use to build Championship teams :trophy:

Texans-

2002 #33 Jabar Gaffney #50 Chester Pitts #66 Fred Weary #83 Charles Hill
2003 #41 Bennie Joppru #67 Antwan Peek #75 Seth Wand
2004 Traded 2nd Traded 3rd
2005 Traded 2nd Traded 3rd #73 Vernand Morency

Carolina-

2002 #34 DeShaun Foster (RB) #73 Will Witherspoon (OLB)
2003 #50 Bruce Nelson (Center) #76 Mike Seidman (TE)
2004 #62 Keary Colbert (WR) #94 Travelle Wharton (OT)
2005 #54 Eric Shelton (RB) #79 Evan Mathis (G)

Pittsburgh-

2002 #62 Antwaan Randle El (WR) #94 Chris Hope (FS)
2003 #59 Alonzo Jackson (LB) Traded 3rd.
2004 #38 Ricardo Colclough (CB) #75 Max Starks (OT)
2005 #62 Bryant McFadden (CB) #93 Trai Essex (OT)

Seattle-

2002 #54 Maurice Morris (RB) #60 Anton Palepoi (DE)
2003 #42 Ken Hamlin (FS) #73 Wayne Hunter (OT)
2004 #53 Michael Boulware (SS) #84 Sean Locklear (OT)
2005 #45 Lofa Tatupu (MLB) #85 David Greene (QB)

I believe Kubiak has turned that around now, lets compare 2006 2nd/3rd draft picks-

Texans-

#33 Demeco Ryans (LB) #65 Charles Spencer (OT) #66 Eric Winston (OT)

Carolina-

#58 Richard Marshall (CB) #88 James Anderson (OLB) #89 Rashad Butler (OT)

Pittsburgh-

traded 2nd #83 Anthony Smith (FS) #95 Willie Reid (WR)

Seattle-

#63 Darryl Tapp (DE) traded 3rd.

mancunian
06-15-2006, 07:52 AM
Let's play mystery comparison. Guess who I am talking about.....

Mystery Player
Linebacker 6-0, 230

Mystery Player, was a second-round draft pick of the ___________ in the ____ NFL Draft and the 38th player selected overall. The only college junior to be selected to the All-___ Team of the 19__s, Mystery Player earned All-America honors in both his junior and senior years at _____, where he averaged 15 tackles per game and established a team record with 232 tackles in 19__

Mystery player was said to be too small to play linebacker, but that he worked hard to make the most of his abilities.

Vilma, schmilma, I can dream, can't I?

They also said Tatupu was too small to play LB and that the Seahawks had reached with him, look how he played last season.

If Ryans can have a rookie season as good as that he''ll be pushing for Defensive Rookie of the Year. Tatupu was only beaten by Merriman last year cos Merriman had more sacks (and less tackles!)