PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben injured in Motorcycle Accident

TexanFan881
06-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Another one :rolleyes: Don't they ever learn :brickwall

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5687558

According to a report on WTAE's website, Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was injured in a motorcycle accident Monday morning.

The Steelers confirmed the accident for the Pittsburgh TV station.

A witness told the station that Roethlisberger went over the handlebars, hit the windshield of another vehicle, then hit the ground.

Roethlisberger was reportedly not wearing a helmet at the time of the accident.

On a serious note I really hope he's ok. He's a great player and he doesn't need his career hurt by this. This is very shocking and sad news.

Just updated a little more:

Shortly after Kellen Winslow's motorcycle accident, which forced the Browns tight end to miss the entire 2005 season, Steelers head coach Bill Cowher expressed concern over his own star player's infatuation with the bikes.

"It (a pro football career) is a very small time in your life, and you've got to be very careful. You can see it documented with Kellen Winslow," Cowher said. "Not just in riding motorcycles, but where you go and who you associate with."

Cowher reportedly spoke to Roethlisberger in May of 2005 after photos surfaced in which the Steelers quarterback was posing helmetless on a motorcycle.

aj.
06-12-2006, 11:35 AM
Lance and John had him on the radio this morning at 7 a.m. It must have happened right after that.

HARRYJ
06-12-2006, 11:36 AM
I pray that this young man is OK. He is a true talent.

Exascor
06-12-2006, 11:41 AM
I hope he's OK too but I think it's time for the NFL to include a no motorcycling clause in each contract. This is getting silly.

infantrycak
06-12-2006, 11:54 AM
I hope he's OK too but I think it's time for the NFL to include a no motorcycling clause in each contract. This is getting silly.

Many upper end contracts have a no hazardous conduct clause. Some have gotten more specific (Winslow's I believe as an example) and list motorcycling.

TexanFan881
06-12-2006, 11:55 AM
A little more info on the situation:
http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/sports/football/nfl/philadelphia_eagles/14800845.htm

PITTSBURGH - Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was injured in a motorcycle crash Monday morning and taken to a hospital.

"He was alert and conscious," said Ernie Roman, shift commander for the Allegheny County emergency service.

Steelers Dave Lockett, outside Mercy Hospital, confirmed the accident but did not provide additional details.

In only his second year in the NFL, Roethlisberger helped guide the Steelers to the Super Bowl championship last season.

Calls to Roethlisberger's agent, Leigh Steinberg, were not immediately returned.

The 24-year-old Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding his motorcycle. He has pointed out Pennsylvania's 35-year-old state law requiring helmets to be worn was amended to make helmets optional.

In May 2005, Steelers coach Bill Cowher lectured Roethlisberger on the dangers of riding without a helmet.

"He talked about being a risk-taker and I'm not really a risk-taker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said at the time. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."

SESupergenius
06-12-2006, 11:57 AM
Wow, I just heard him this morning on the Sporting News Radio program with Tony Bruno. Wierd.

hot pickle
06-12-2006, 12:17 PM
:homer:

Porky
06-12-2006, 12:20 PM
Thank goodness he is alert and consious. Very good sign for his life, although I am sure they assessing the extent of his injuries. As to his football career, it could be anything from perfectly fine to resume by training camp, to never playing again. At this point, we just don't know. I wouldn't want to be a steeler fan right now.

Anyone not using a helmet and riding a motorcycle in high traffic and/or high speed highways should have their head examined. I think this is just another example of some young punk who thinks because he is young, rich, and famous, that he is invincible. It seems that the experience of others is little to no deterrent. What, it can't happen to me, right?

TexanFan881
06-12-2006, 12:24 PM
This one doesn't seem as good as the other one, that's for sure:

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has been in a motorcycle accident in Pittsburgh this morning.

Witnesses are telling authorities that the player's motorcycle collided with a car near a downtown intersection and that Roethlisberger's head hit the windshield and was bleeding. Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding.

One witness told KDKA television that Roethlisberger was conscious but appeared disoriented before he was taken from the scene to Mercy Hospital.

A Steelers spokesman is at the hospital and confirmed Roethlisberger is being treated there, but wouldn't provide additional details.

Good luck Ben, we are all praying for you :thumbup

Runner
06-12-2006, 12:26 PM
Many upper end contracts have a no hazardous conduct clause.

I'm surprised that the players that represent the biggest investments get away with that. I know they have the leverage, but holding out over a hazardous activites clause doesn't seem very smart if the teams would stick to their guns.

Youngstown Colt
06-12-2006, 12:26 PM
Good luck Ben, we are all praying for you :thumbupI'm not directing this at you whatsoever, but I wish I would have seen statements like this after K2 got in his accident.

Sadly, there was nothing but ridicule and jokes.

Youngstown Colt
06-12-2006, 12:27 PM
http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/7172/benwindow3nx.png

joetexan
06-12-2006, 12:30 PM
Profootballtalk.com has a report that it may be more serious than indicated. That report said that he t-boned another vehicle head-on, flying off his motorcycle and into the windshield of the car. While he was conscious and talking, a quote on the site says there was blood everywhere. (UPDATE - The site now says Big Ben is in surgery as I type...)

Hoping and praying for the best...

HARRYJ
06-12-2006, 12:31 PM
I just heard on the news that he is in serious but stable condition.

TexanFan881
06-12-2006, 12:35 PM
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/sns-ap-fbn-roethlisberger,0,5237666.story?coll=orl-entertainment-celeb
a pool of blood was found at the accident site.

I thought it was bad but it's starting to sound really bad. Hopefully he will be able to fully recover from this accident.

Bearfan Blue and Orange
06-12-2006, 12:36 PM
PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who has said he dislikes wearing a motorcycle helmet, was seriously injured in a motorcycle crash and taken to a hospital Monday.

Dr. Larry Jones, chief of trauma at Mercy Hospital, said Roethlisberger was in serious but stable condition in an operating room Monday afternoon. Roethlisberger was undergoing surgery, but Jones would not say for what.

"He was talking to me before he left for the operating room," Jones said. "He's coherent. He's making sense. He knows what happened. He knows where he is. From that standpoint, he's very stable."

The crash happened at an intersection at the edge of downtown at around 11:30 a.m. A pool of blood was visible there early Monday afternoon.

Lt. Kevin Kraus, a Pittsburgh police spokesman, said police and homicide units were investigating the crash, something standard when there is an accident with critical injuries. Kraus would give no details on the extent of Roethlisberger's injuries or if anyone else was injured in the crash.

A silver Chrysler New Yorker with damage to the front passenger fender was removed and Roethlisberger's bike was loaded onto a flatbed truck.

In only his second year in the NFL, Roethlisberger helped guide the Steelers to the Super Bowl championship last season.

mexican_texan
06-12-2006, 12:37 PM
Anyone remember when ProFootballTalk.com was warning that this would happen?

TexanFan881
06-12-2006, 12:38 PM
over at one of the steelers message boards
they say that http://www.wpxi.com/index.html has live streaming audio for whats going on
speculation is that they are having surgery on a broken jaw

infantrycak
06-12-2006, 12:40 PM
I'm surprised that the players that represent the biggest investments get away with that. I know they have the leverage, but holding out over a hazardous activites clause doesn't seem very smart if the teams would stick to their guns.

I phrased that poorly, but I think you read that backwards.

Most of the upper end contracts do have a "no hazardous conduct" clause.

mexican_texan
06-12-2006, 12:43 PM

That's right. Since Ben was warned about wearing a helme before, this young man may just have screwed himself out of a lot of money.

Runner
06-12-2006, 12:43 PM

Got it. No wonder I was so surprised.

TexanFan881
06-12-2006, 12:44 PM
Here's all the updates that are going on as of now
http://www.wpxi.com/sports/9356102/detail.html

Big Ben In Motorcycle Crash
Steelers QB Taken To Mercy Hospital

POSTED: 11:54 am EDT June 12, 2006
UPDATED: 1:36 pm EDT June 12, 2006

PITTSBURGH -- Police were called to the scene of a motorcycle accident near the Armstrong Tunnel on Monday morning.

Officials said a car and the motorcycle collided outside the tunnel along Second Avenue at 11:25 a.m.

Pittsburgh Steelers officials confirmed to Channel 11 News that the motorcycle rider was Ben Roethelisberger.

He was taken to Mercy Hospital.

A police officer at the scene told Channel 11's Rick Earle that Roethlisberger did not appear to be seriously injured.

His official condition is not known at this time.

A witness also told Rick Earle she was there shortly after the accident happened. She said she saw Roethlisberger with blood on his face and appeared to be talking when he was put into the ambulance.

Other witnesses at the scene also said that Ben tried to get up, but several people rushed to him and told him to stay down.

Rick Earle said the motorcycle apparently collided with the front passenger side of the vehicle.

The car involved had a Maine license plate.

Channel 11's Alby Oxenreiter reported that Art Rooney II said, "I think it's going to be alright."

Lt. Kevin Kraus said city police and Pennsylvania State Police are investigating the accident together.

Channel 11's Renee Kaminski reported that Charlie Batch arrived at the hospital to visit his fellow quarterback.

Larry M. Jones, Chief of Trauma & Burn Unit at Mercy Hospital said Roethlisberger is in serious but stable condition. He is currently in the operating room undergoing surgery for injuries received in the accident. Jones said Roethlisberger was coherent and talked to the doctors before the operation.

Roethlisberger and his mom were to begin shooting a Campbell's Chunky Soup commercial this week at Heinz Field.

A local crew was scheduled to help with the $2 million dollar shoot.

The latest campaign featured Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb and his mom.

Watch Channel 11 News and refresh this page for updates.

Chicagotexan1
06-12-2006, 12:49 PM
estupido!!!! But hey at least you looked cool.

texan279
06-12-2006, 12:50 PM
Pics from the scene...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/texan279/9355994_240X180.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/texan279/58469294-bbfa-00AF0083-.jpg

TexanFan881
06-12-2006, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the pics texan279. There first three on this from yahoo: http://news.yahoo.com/photos/ss/events/sp/061206roethlisberger/im:/060612/483/04b3fcb7b8c149fcbf5663f27e899f71;_ylt=AvOwZVAu.yTm SYWIX.CJP33NaMYA;_ylu=X3oDMTA5bGcyMWMzBHNlYwNzc25h dg--

TexanFan881
06-12-2006, 12:59 PM
And a little more from that WPXI site:
A source close to the Steelers organization said Roethlisberger suffered injuries to the face and head, but would not disclose details.

Hardcore Texan
06-12-2006, 01:03 PM
I hope he is okay, it looks like he hit the car pretty hard from the damaged it caused. Here's a link to the local news and report they had after the accident.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/video/5839843/index.html

TexanFan881
06-12-2006, 01:08 PM
There is supposed to be a press conference at 3:00 PM ET/2:00 PM CT with a report on Ben

HARRYJ
06-12-2006, 01:13 PM
The front end of the bike is crushed.

TD
06-12-2006, 01:14 PM
Some lessons are learned the hard way.

Hopefully Ben recovers and becomes an advocate for wearing helmets. I think he would good at getting the point across that if it can happen to him, it could happen to anybody.

powerfuldragon
06-12-2006, 01:14 PM
poor guy. completely stupid of him to not wear a helmet, though.

TexanFan881
06-12-2006, 01:18 PM
I feel sorry for been too but you are right PowerfulDragon, everyone makes mistakes, but you've got to be prepared for them. When you've got everything going for you why would you risk your life by not wearing a helmet? It's the little things that count...

swtbound07
06-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Its not a mistake, its a lifestyle decision...shrugs. You could make the same case about people who drive without wearing seatbelts. i bet you a lot of people on this board do that. Let the man live his life...he wants to windshield dive without protection...let him. Hell i've felt like that a few days.

hollywood_texan
06-12-2006, 01:24 PM
Some lessons are learned the hard way.

Actually, I think all lessons are learned the hard way, it's the major fallacy of human nature.

This happens every day, just most of these people are not professional athletes. I wish him the best but he knew the risks and made his choice.

WWJD
06-12-2006, 01:24 PM
Praying for his complete recovery.

WiiBrawler
06-12-2006, 01:30 PM
I wonder how long he will be out for? Seems pretty serious, the ESPN ticker said that he hit his head on the cars windshield

joetexan
06-12-2006, 01:35 PM
http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/9356067/detail.html

This has the photo of the windshield he hit with his uncovered head. It also says that he asked a witness that helped him what state he was in.

TexanFan881
06-12-2006, 01:36 PM
more...http://blogs.wizbangblog.com/2006/06/12/ben-roethlisberger-seriously-injured-in-motorcycle-accident.php

Steelers quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger, suffered serious head injuries after crashing hi motorcycle into a car in Pittsburgh, PA. His condition is currently listed as serious:

From the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review:

"Roethlisberger, who led the Steelers to a Super Bowl championship this year, slammed into the windshield, rolled over the car and landed on the pavement, striking his head again, said a woman who witnessed the accident.

The witness, who declined to give her name, asked Roethlisberger several times if he was OK. He eventually replied, "My name is Ben."

He asked: "Where am I?"

"You're at the Armstrong Tunnel," the witness said.

"What city is that in?" he said.

"Pittsburgh," the woman replied.

Roethlisberger fell silent for about a minute and then tried to stand up.

"I'm OK," he said.

"No you're not," said the woman, who instructed him to stay still."

It also sounds as if this lady that hit him crossed into his path of driving are ran into Ben, and it was not Ben's fault for the accident (not that this takes away the injuries or anything)

TexanFan881
06-12-2006, 01:52 PM
Another update, this one good from profootballtalk :thumbup

BIG BEN GETS 'VERY LUCKY'

A league source tells us that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has suffered a broken jaw and various 'minor scratches' as a result of his Monday morning motorcycle accident. But, at this point, the team does not believe that he has suffered any serious injuries to body parts that would be used in the playing of football.

'He will have to be thoroughly checked but at this time he looks to be very lucky,' said a league source with knowledge of the situation.

We can't fathom Big Ben emerging from the collision without a single arm, hand, elbow, shoulder, leg, knee, hip, ankle, or foot injury that would impact his ability to prepare for and/or play in the 2006 season. The pictures suggest a very serious collision between Roethlisberger's motorcycle and a car. In 2005, for example, concerns regarding the internal injuries suffered by Browns tight end Kellen Winslow when he merely wrecked his motorcycle into a curb quickly gave way to a swollen knee that ultimately was found to have a torn ACL embedded therein.

And if for some reason Roethlisberger couldn't play this year, what would the Steelers do? Make Charlie Batch the starter? Re-sign Tommy Maddox? Bring in Kerry Collins?

Or -- gulp -- bring back Kordell Stewart?

The options would limited, given that the incident happened so late in the offseason. But, for now, it appears that he'll be ready to go after his jaw is healed.

kastofsna
06-12-2006, 01:54 PM
damn, he'll be healthy by the time the season starts. that's unfortunate.

TexanFan881
06-12-2006, 02:22 PM
John Clayton was on the HotList and he said that it has been reported that he has a broken jaw (reason for the surgery), possibly something wrong with his knee, and some other head injuries. He seems like he is going to be okay though.

Dime
06-12-2006, 02:27 PM
amazing... just amazing.. Wonder if his season or career is blown.. hopefully not, but time will tell

tiger06
06-12-2006, 02:29 PM
glad to hear his injuries aren't life-threatening but he's stupid to have not worn a helmet. I ride a dirtbike and would never think of stepping on it without a helmet.

joetexan
06-12-2006, 02:38 PM
Latest from Profootballtalk.com, and link from http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/9356067/detail.html which notes that a plastic surgeon has been brought in:

Minutes after we learned from a solid and credible league source that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is not expected to have any serious injuries after suffering a motorcycle accident on Monday morning, we were alerted to reports that Roethlisberger has suffered "serious" injuries to both of his knees.

Per the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, which broke the story of the accident minutes after it happened, Roethlisberger has fractured his left sinus cavity bone, sustained a nine-inch gash to the back of his head, suffered injuries to both knees and a broken jaw, and he has lost either "most" or "several" of his teeth.

Our source on the "Ben got lucky" story told us he was operating on information that apparently has been superseded, and it's a sign of just how fluid and uncertain the situation has been.

If Ben's knees are seriously injured, his ability to play in 2006 will be significantly affected. So then the question becomes, what do the Steelers do to replace him?

---

Wow. Wow. Wow. What a horrific situation. This legitimately could end his career.

TexanFan881
06-12-2006, 02:42 PM
See I said he had injuries to his knees, I just wasn't sure how serious they were. You can't walk if you're knees are seriously injured, which would change this situation a lot.

Hutch13
06-12-2006, 02:58 PM
So then the question becomes, what do the Steelers do to replace him?

he has a ton of talent and i hope he is doing alright but he should have worn a helmet. I could see the steelers signing Kerry Collins

infantrycak
06-12-2006, 03:26 PM
]']Even the hard core bikers here in Cali wear helmets. These guys are bad of the bad, I mean hells angels kinda thing.

California has a mandatory helmet law.

Link (http://www.fastfreds.com/helmetlawmap.htm)

Texans_Chick
06-12-2006, 03:37 PM
OK, this is totally freaky. I've posted this link before when the Mathis thing came up. What is interesting, it was written EXACTLY one year ago from today:

Link: Post-Gazette (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05163/520196.stm)

Sunday, June 12, 2005

By Chuck Finder, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Two local motorcyclists have been killed in the past month roaring down the same stretch of Route 28 that a certain Steelers quarterback navigates on his Harley-Davidson Softail, his hair flitting in the wind.

Hulloh, Ben Roethlisberger?

Anyone home in that helmet-free head?

If the latest piece of tragedy doesn't cause pause at the throttle, maybe Jamie Henderson will.

Jamie Henderson used to play in the NFL. Used to play safety for the New York Jets, the team that twice confronted the Steelers last season with him on its roster but nowhere in sight. Used to tool around almost half his life on a bike that nearly took all of it 14 months ago on a curving patch of two-lane Georgia road.

Spent three weeks in a coma. Breathed on a respirator. Sported a freshly drilled hole in his skull where doctors desperately tried to reduce brain swelling.

Oh, yeah, and he was wearing a helmet.

"I just wish people would put their bikes up and wait till after their career. Then they can ride the rest of their lives," Henderson said this week from Carrollton, Ga., where he continues to work out in hopes of returning first to his former self, then to the NFL and where he no longer rides his Kawasaki. "Bikes are dangerous. All of us who ride bikes know that. You only have two wheels. Shoot, all it takes is one driver not paying attention. It's not like a car crash -- you ain't going to have a fender bender."

Henderson remembers nothing of his April 2004 crash. Remembers nothing of being on that road. "My bike's fine. It was just me. I wish it would've been the other way around."

His isn't the only pro career to become a casualty of a two-wheel accident.

Former Penn State running back Gary Brown was, for all intents, left for dead on the streets of Williamsport after a June 1999, hit-and-run accident in which a car ran a stop sign and smacked his Suzuki. Brown went from a 1,000-yard rusher to a 177-yard rusher and done after three New York Giants games.

Bulls guard Jay Williams concluded a dazzling NBA rookie season, and possibly a career, when he crashed his Yamaha sportsbike into a Chicago pole in June 2003. Two years later, after doctors once whispered about amputation, Williams tries to rehab himself into some semblance of an NBA player.

Browns rookie tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. ... well, no need to go there. That's the stupid incident provoking all this Roethlisberger, TV-sweeps-month hoohah in the first place, the one that got the rookie quarterback's back up and prompted him to vehemently contend he was no "risk-taker."

There were 3,661 motorcycle deaths on American roads in 2003. Two wheels, no air bags, no reinforced metal surrounding, no control over every other auto on the roads. It's an equation rife with deadly risk

"He says he's good on a bike? I'm good on a bike, also." Henderson's unspoken words being: Look at me now.

Big Ben might not listen to coach Bill Cowher, might not listen to the Rooneys, might not listen to the caterwauling Steeler Nation (a welder named Eddie wrote on Roethlisberger's Web site, "Brother, wear a helmet; I've had too many friends die on bikes that I still wear mine, and I work at the Harley plant here in York, Pa."). He might not listen to gal-pal Natalie Gulbis or the squawk-show screechers. He might not listen to his own family, to whom he is the most valuable resource -- one that no millions could replace.

powerfuldragon
06-12-2006, 03:41 PM
Its not a mistake, its a lifestyle decision...shrugs.

Doesn't make it any less dumb.

Chicagotexan1
06-12-2006, 03:43 PM
Praying for his complete recovery.

If Pit is on our schedule then amend it to "delayed" complete recovery - until the after we play them.

Buffi2
06-12-2006, 03:44 PM
An update at 3:38 our time from profootballtalk.com

There are conflicting reports from Pittsburgh's two leading papers regarding the severity of the injuries suffered by quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in Monday morning's motorcycle accident.

The Tribune-Review reports that Big Ben has, among other things, two serious knee injuries. The Post-Gazette reports that the team is "encouraged" by reports from Mercy Hospital, and former teammate Jerome Bettis said that he's been told that Ben will be fine.

Here's hoping he will be fine - 2 serious knee injuries doesn't sound like a career enhancer.

hollywood_texan
06-12-2006, 04:00 PM
From what I heard on the radio, IMO he will not be coming back anytime soon or maybe even at all.

He lost most of his teeth according to radio reports.

WWJD
06-12-2006, 04:05 PM
If Pit is on our schedule then amend it to "delayed" complete recovery - until the after we play them.

I'm much more worried about his life than his football playing abilities. I know what you mean but...

CloakNNNdagger
06-12-2006, 04:08 PM
You can add a mere broken nose to that...................This is indeed why we call them MURDERCYLCES and their riders (especially those without helmets) DONOR CYCLISTS (although many times there is very little left to harvest).

powerfuldragon
06-12-2006, 04:13 PM
He lost most of his teeth according to radio reports.

Continuuing the steeler's qb tradition...

joetexan
06-12-2006, 04:17 PM
Looks like many reports now are coming off the previous "severe knee" injury talk, and are now just saying that he sustained "injuries to his knees". That to me is a positive thing.

Broken nose, broken jaw, broken sinus cavity, facial lacerations, lost teeth, cut on back of head...

You've got to wonder with all those head injuries what the lasting effect of this will be on him mentally.

joetexan
06-12-2006, 04:27 PM
Now the reports are that he sprained his knees, but broke more bones in his face. http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_163154800.html

CloakNNNdagger
06-12-2006, 04:28 PM
And when you learn your lessons kiddies, there will be treats.........like:

1)Not being armless
2)Not being legless
3)Not being brainless (although part of that must have already been present)
4)Not being headless
5)Not being hemi or paraplegic

OH, yes

6)Not being DEAD

This would have been a good read for coach to have given Ben with his father - son talk last year:

http://www.aap.org/family/ttipsfor.htm

I do wish him well.

texanmojo
06-12-2006, 04:32 PM
All I can say is....what a dumb a**!!!

This guy had the rest of his life to ride motorcycles...AFTER his playing days were over.

Way to think about yourself before the team Ben...I am sure your team mates will really appreciate this! So much for a Steeler repeat!

Having said this...I hope he fully recovers from his injuries. I'd hate to see his career ended by such a stupid act.

TexanFan881
06-12-2006, 04:55 PM
John Clayton said he should be back by season time and that he may miss the first pre season game, but that's all. He said his knee injuries were more like scrapes, so that should heal well before his face does.

MightyTExan
06-12-2006, 04:57 PM
He should be fine. I went through a windshield when I was 9. My injuries very similiar. Except my lip was busted wide open, and I had to get stitches in my gums. No arm or leg injuries. So wear your seatbelt.

hollywood_texan
06-12-2006, 05:05 PM
John Clayton said he should be back by season time and that he may miss the first pre season game, but that's all. He said his knee injuries were more like scrapes, so that should heal well before his face does.

That is interesting. We'll know a lot more once he has a face to face interview on camera. IMO, the longer that doesn't happen, the more serious it is.

Eagles78
06-12-2006, 05:06 PM
Are you guys watching Sprotscenter? The Steelers are relieved he can still play this season. **** that Id be relieved he's alive!

DocBar
06-12-2006, 05:11 PM
I'm not directing this at you whatsoever, but I wish I would have seen statements like this after K2 got in his accident.

Sadly, there was nothing but ridicule and jokes.
K2 came into this league riding his fathers coattails(regardless of talent). Big Ben has EARNED his stripes. He's much of a man.
On another note, I had a VERY similar injuy in 1996 from a bullriding accident that left my right cheekbone, right eye socket, right nasal cavity, jaw, nose broken and a loss of 6 teeth. If those are the worst of his injuries, he'll be fine this time next year. Maybe sooner. The nasal cavity is the worst, if the eye wasn't damaged(nasal cavity can leak air into the cranium=BAD) If he suffered a fractured skull of any kind, it's a lot more serious. No detail on his knees. Probably concussive type injuries, hopefully no broken patellas or torn ligaments.
As a Texans fan, I LOATHE the Steelers. As a human and football fan, I pray for a speedy and full recovery.

PS: Depending on severity, I would look at a 3-6 month window for any kind of contact drills at all. But that's real world, not competive sports. Modern chemistry can be miraculous.

Mr. White
06-12-2006, 05:13 PM
Did anybody catch what kind of motorcycle he was riding?

Double Barrel
06-12-2006, 05:13 PM
Yikes! Hope big Ben pulls through and can still play. He's got so much ahead of him that it surprises me a little that he'd take these kind of risks. I thought he'd be smarter than that. It's not yourself that you have to worry about on a bike, but rather everyone else around you. This accident is case in point.

DocBar
06-12-2006, 05:16 PM
Yikes! Hope big Ben pulls through and can still play. He's got so much ahead of him that it surprises me a little that he'd take these kind of risks. I thought he'd be smarter than that. It's not yourself that you have to worry about on a bike, but rather everyone else around you. This accident is case in point.
Little old ladies with blue hair, turning left, are the single biggest cause of motorcycle fatalities each year. Sad but true.

Mr. White
06-12-2006, 05:18 PM
Did anybody catch what kind of motorcycle he was riding?

Never mind.... I just saw what was left of the crotch rocket.... I'm shocked that he is injured given his choice in motorcycles.

infantrycak
06-12-2006, 05:28 PM
Never mind.... I just saw what was left of the crotch rocket.... I'm shocked that he is injured given his choice in motorcycles.

Excuse me but I resemble that remark--the physics of a collision don't change based on the brand name of your bike. According to reports, Big Ben had a lady pull in front of him cutting him off--a Harley Rebel wouldn't have reduced his injuries.

Youngstown Colt
06-12-2006, 05:31 PM
Excuse me but I resemble that remarkResent?

DocBar
06-12-2006, 05:36 PM
Excuse me but I resemble that remark--the physics of a collision don't change based on the brand name of your bike. According to reports, Big Ben had a lady pull in front of him cutting him off--a Harley Rebel wouldn't have reduced his injuries.
Um...HONDA Rebel....Don't piss the bikers off. They take that stuff seriously.

infantrycak
06-12-2006, 05:38 PM
Resent?

No, resemble--as in I have always had sport bikes.

infantrycak
06-12-2006, 05:38 PM
Um...HONDA Rebel....Don't piss the bikers off. They take that stuff seriously.

You're right--I meant Sportster.

DocBar
06-12-2006, 05:41 PM
You're right--I meant Sportster.
LOL...I'm into 1 horsepower. And have been known to wear a hemet on fiesty ones.

Mr. White
06-12-2006, 05:46 PM
My point is that it seems like these NFL players are always riding crotch rockets when they go down. IMO, just shows a lack of concern for safety. I don't have the empirical data available just yet, but that's my theory until I start hearing about pro athletes wrecking cruisers.

While I don't begrudge any man for riding sport bikes, it does smack of stupidity when a pro athlete has an accident on a motorcycle, especially one built for speed.

aj.
06-12-2006, 06:35 PM
I just saw video of the donorcycle, as CND calls them, and the car. He's lucky to be alive. Front wheel and forks compressed up into the body of the bike, and the woman's car severly damaged in the right front quarter. There's a 10" diameter fracture on the lower right windshield where I assume his head hit.

How in the hell does Clayton know when he'll be ready to play? Rhetorical...

I used to ride dirt bikes but always wore a helmet. That habit started when a buddy of mine put down his Honda 350 on a paved road at about 60 mph. Buddy #2 riding with us ran over his head during the mishap (proven by some nice tire marks on Buddy #1's helmet). Buddy #1 survived but lost a lot of skin in the process. He slid on his back and luckily didn't roll. The helmet is in his garage as a reminder.

CloakNNNdagger
06-12-2006, 06:42 PM
Pitssburg's lost enough of the pieces of last year's puzzle. This is going to help nothing. With Big Ben losing out on training camp and probably most if not all of preseason, he's not the seasoned QB like Montana or Favre or Young who can say it won't significantly affect his long term regular season performance. These injuries likely will put him in potential increased risk for recurrent concussion, possible visual disturbances for months and at very least chronic arthritic knees. Violent accidents can have long term chronic maladies of the neck and back which do not definitively present before weeks following the trauma lending the victim vulnerable to reinjury. If I were Pittsburg, I would be spending more of my time looking for the reasonable substitute than praying for a quick uncomplicated recovery. With that said, I wish Big Ben a speedy and complete recovery.

DominickDavisFan76
06-12-2006, 06:50 PM
I like big ben, I think he is an exellent QB but.....I like Omar Jacobs better so this is his chance to shine and earn the starting job, so get out there and play ur ass off.

Omar Rules!!:cool:

beerlover
06-12-2006, 06:55 PM
I will also pray for Ben to have a speedy and full recovery. I've always respected the man for his honesty and personel freedom of lifestyle. Very unfortunate in this case it almost cost him his life. Bottom line these bikes should be banned and helmets should be mandatory :texans:

Blake
06-12-2006, 07:01 PM
If you HAVE to ride it, ride it when you retire...

CloakNNNdagger
06-12-2006, 07:05 PM
This is really SICK..........someone's on EBAY selling pieces of the bike........could we ask him to go back and get some pieces of face???

http://cgi.ebay.com/Steelers-BIG-BEN-Roethlisberger-Bike-parts-from-wreck_W0QQitemZ9530442367QQihZ007QQcategoryZ1467QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

disaacks3
06-12-2006, 07:27 PM
"The seller ended this listing early because of an error in the listing."

Error in judgment perhaps?

TexanFan881
06-12-2006, 07:31 PM
Not to be mean but this guy could get some money off this. He said repeated times that he hopes Big Ben will be okay and everything, and maybe he needs a little money. Also, I'm sure some Steelers fans would be interested in the "memorabilia".

Tex Trenches
06-12-2006, 08:40 PM
There are rumors flying around that the Steelers have contacted the Texans about David Carr. :yap

TexanFan881
06-12-2006, 08:41 PM
There are rumors flying around that the Steelers have contacted the Texans about David Carr. :yap

And with authority we said, "NO!" :yahoo: :redtowel: :texflag:

HomeBred_Texan
06-12-2006, 10:26 PM
Hard to start your own rumor isnt it?

Tex Trenches
06-12-2006, 10:41 PM
Hard to start your own rumor isnt it?

It was alledgedly reported by Dan Patrick on ESPN radio.

powerfuldragon
06-12-2006, 10:42 PM
It was alledgedly reported by Dan Patrick on ESPN radio.
as a joke perhaps?

Tex Trenches
06-12-2006, 10:59 PM
Perhaps, I dont know. I just saw it on another board and thought I would post the information here. I personaly think it's a little premature for that kind of talk coming out of the Steelers camp.

beerlover
06-12-2006, 11:40 PM
as a joke perhaps?

terrible taste joke :tomato:

rittenhouserobz
06-13-2006, 06:06 AM
The Steelers just wish they had a dedicated family man who does not ride motorcycles as a hobby.

texanmojo
06-13-2006, 07:57 AM
This is really SICK..........someone's on EBAY selling pieces of the bike........could we ask him to go back and get some pieces of face???

http://cgi.ebay.com/Steelers-BIG-BEN-Roethlisberger-Bike-parts-from-wreck_W0QQitemZ9530442367QQihZ007QQcategoryZ1467QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The item appears to have been removed by eBay.

CloakNNNdagger
06-13-2006, 08:41 AM
I wanted to include this post in its entirety, as I think that it may open some eyes to why we see things we see in the trauma rooms:

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 The Cincinnati Post
A lesson for Roethlisberger

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger wouldn't dream of going onto the football field without his helmet, but he thinks nothing of climbing on his motorcycle without one.

Apparently it hasn't dawned on him that cars are a lot bigger and faster than opposing linemen, and hit harder too.

On Monday, the Miami University graduate got a lesson in physics - and personal responsibility.

Roethlisberger suffered serious facial injuries, injuring a broken jaw and nose, when he was thrown from his bike after it hit a car. It's unclear how it will affect his career, but he's lucky he wasn't killed.

The wreck is already getting a lot of attention, and not just because he is who he is. It's also because Roethlisberger had been warned by his coach and criticized by TV announcers for the team in the past for his riding, particularly because he's been vocal about his penchant for riding without a helmet.

It's difficult to say with certainly whether a helmet would have kept the player from being injured, just like it's difficult to say whether a helmet would have saved Boone County Sheriff's Deputy Mike Scheben, who was unhelmeted when he was thrown from his bike and killed while riding in Union on May 31.

And sometimes helmets don't make any difference, like when a pickup truck crossed the center line June 3 and killed two bikers, including the chairman of the Western Kentucky University board of regents, Cornelius Martin. Martin suffered severe trauma to the chest.

But helmets generally save lives and prevent injuries.

At one time all states required helmets, but under pressure from those who advocate "freedom" lawmakers in 30 states have rolled back those laws, including in Ohio and Kentucky.

Over the last decade, deaths in motorcycle crashes have nearly doubled, going up eight straight years even as the total number of miles driven has decreased. Recent federal studies concluded that 700 lives could have been saved in one year alone if they were mandatory.

Studies routinely show that helmets save lives, reduce the likelihood and severity of injury and reduce health care costs.

A study by the Neuroscience Institute at the University of Cincinnati and University Hospital came to the same conclusion. The study examined 224 patients involved in motorcycle collisions who came to the hospital's trauma center in 2003-2004.

Fifty-nine of the 139 riders who weren't wearing a helmet suffered a head injury, compared to just seven of the 75 helmeted riders. In addition, 34 of the unhelmeted riders suffered spinal injuries, compared to 14 riders who were wearing helmets.

The hospital stay for those riders who suffered head injuries and weren't wearing helmets averaged eight days, compared to four days for those with helmets. Hospital costs were significantly greater too.

Because those who didn't wear helmets were less likely to carry private health insurance, more often those costs were picked up by the public.

It's hard to argue with those numbers.

Riders should wear helmets, and if they're not going to, perhaps government should step in and make them.

Even if they quarterback for the world champions.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a link that makes you think about how many of our millionare athletes show blatant disregard for their responsibilities to their professions and to their families.:

http://www.nj.com/columns/expresstimes/fierro/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/1150171891212590.xml&coll=2&thispage=2

infantrycak
06-13-2006, 08:52 AM
Looks like Big Ben received the sport bike as a gift:

Roethlisberger's 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa, which takes its name from a Japanese bird of prey, was totaled. The 170-horsepower bike, which weighs 500 pounds fully loaded, was targeted by law enforcement agencies worldwide after its 1998 debut because it can reach a top speed of 189 mph.

Suzuki Motorcycles of North America gave Roethlisberger the bike as part of a promotional deal in exchange for his appearance at several area Suzuki dealerships, including Andrews Cycle in Salem, Ohio, where he picked up the motorcycle last summer. Andrews' sales staff declined comment.

The motorcycle is popular among first-time buyers, said Steve Stiller, a salesman at Northgate Motorcycles in Cranberry, Butler County.

Link (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/cityregion/s_457685.html)

Big Ben typically rode Harley style motorcycles. This doesn't apply to Big Ben since he has been riding for a while but as a follow on to CnD--IMO a significant part of the increase in motorcycle injuries is due, as the quote above indicates, 1st time buyers going out and getting machines far beyond their skill level. The Hayabusa is not a starter bike. People who are more interested in posing and showing off jump straight onto these instead of working their way up the motorcycle food chain with predictable results.

TEXANRED
06-13-2006, 09:07 AM
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 The Cincinnati Post
A lesson for Roethlisberger

Riders should wear helmets, and if they're not going to, perhaps government should step in and make them.

Goverment tried that once and it got overturned. I think it was early 80's.

I have never been in favor of protecting the dumb from themselves.

texanmojo
06-13-2006, 10:08 AM
I have never been in favor of protecting the dumb from themselves.

Its not about protecting the dumb from themselves...its about protecting those that pay the price for the idiots that don't have healthcare insurance. Why should I have to pay the price for some yahoo that decides to get on a motorcycle without a helmet AND without insurance?

Just put a bullet in the guy's head if he wipes out...save the taxpayers from the burden of having to pay his healthcare bills.

Double Barrel
06-13-2006, 11:26 AM
Big Ben typically rode Harley style motorcycles. This doesn't apply to Big Ben since he has been riding for a while but as a follow on to CnD--IMO a significant part of the increase in motorcycle injuries is due, as the quote above indicates, 1st time buyers going out and getting machines far beyond their skill level. The Hayabusa is not a starter bike. People who are more interested in posing and showing off jump straight onto these instead of working their way up the motorcycle food chain with predictable results.

Bingo. The Houston Press had an article about this very subject a few months ago, and so many inexperienced riders go out and get bikes that are way too big for their skill level. They get overconfident about their abilities and take for granted the power that these motorcycles produce. This attitude has killed many young riders and maimed countless others for life. I suppose one could chalk it up to human genetics trying to cull the herd a bit.

Bullpen Drew
06-13-2006, 11:32 AM
I guess the Steelers won't be repeating this year

Exascor
06-13-2006, 01:14 PM
According to ESPN radio (from 790am) Ben didn't have a motorcycle license. That makes all the claims of his riding without a helmet being legal false. Supposedly Penn's no mandatory helmet law applies to experienced riders that have a license for at least 2 years.

That brings this up: Should pros be allowed to do whatever they want in their offtime or do they owe the team, city and fans to be reasonably safe with themselves?

texan279
06-13-2006, 02:38 PM
I read in a foxsports.com article that Ben's mother was killed in a car accident when she was 34. I would think after something like that happening he would wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle, just MO.

TexanFan881
06-13-2006, 09:18 PM
I read in a foxsports.com article that Ben's mother was killed in a car accident when she was 34. I would think after something like that happening he would wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle, just MO.

Like a lot of people have said, he's too stuborn. Maybe he'll change his ways now. If not, this whole experience was useless. Hopefully he can make something out of this terrible situation that he's going through.

powerfuldragon
06-14-2006, 06:46 AM
he'll be fine, i think.
Roethlisberger could be discharged in 3-5 days Click here to find out more!
NFL.com wire reports

PITTSBURGH (June 13, 2006) -- Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger could be out of the hospital in a few days and appears likely to play this season after a bloody motorcycle accident in which his helmetless head shattered a car windshield.

The Steelers' Super Bowl-winning quarterback was upgraded to fair condition at Mercy Hospital a day after the scary accident at a busy Pittsburgh intersection left him and his team shaken.

Despite being tossed high into the air after his made-for-speed motorcycle rammed into a car, causing him to smack his head on the car's windshield, Roethlisberger escaped career-threatening injuries.

Doctors did not discuss Roethlisberger's condition in detail, at the request of his family, but the quarterback's only major injuries were to his face: a broken upper and lower jaw, a loss of two teeth, a broken nose, broken facial bones and various cuts and bruises.

Jaw injuries can vary greatly in nature and, because of the rather limited protection provided by a football helmet, have the potential to sideline a player for a lengthy period. But the surgeons who operated on Roethlisberger for seven hours June 12 said all of his fractures were successfully repaired.

If that is the case, then Roethlisberger might miss part or most of training camp but could be ready for the Sept. 7 opener against Denver. For the Steelers, who would otherwise go into the season with backup Charlie Batch and rookie Omar Jacobs at quarterback, that is the best possible scenario after an accident that left huge splotches of Roethlisberger's dried blood on a city street.

Dr. Larry Jones, the chief of Mercy Hospital's trauma unit, said Roethlisberger's brain was functioning normally, although he has a concussion.

"He is awake, alert, oriented and is resting with his family by his side," Jones said during a news briefing, in which reporters were not allowed to ask questions.

The 24-year-old Roethlisberger, the youngest quarterback to win a Super Bowl, initially was listed in serious but stable condition following the accident.

Considering that Roethlisberger wasn't wearing a helmet while riding his 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa, a model that weighs less than 600 pounds but can easily reach 200 miles per hour in a modified state, the Steelers realize how much worse the accident could have been.

Coach Bill Cowher has said nothing publicly since making a hasty return to Pittsburgh from a North Carolina vacation the night of June 12, and it is unlikely any team official will comment about Roethlisberger's football future until he is out of the hospital. According to Jones, Roethlisberger could be released in three to five days.

In an additional development, KDKA-TV in Pittsburgh reported Roethlisberger does not have a valid Pennsylvania motorcycle license and that his temporary permit expired in March, though he does have a valid automobile driver's license. The Pennsylvania Department of Motor Vehicles declined to comment on the report.

Nobody has been cited in the crash and police will not release information until an accident reconstruction is complete, Pittsburgh police spokeswoman Tammy Ewin said.

Roethlisberger's accident set off debate around the NFL whether teams should take additional contractual safeguards to prevent their key players from participating in hazardous behavior.

A standard NFL player's contract prohibits any offseason activity that can be harmful, but not all players have clauses for activities such as motorcycle riding, all-terrain vehicle riding and skydiving. Roethlisberger's contract apparently did not, probably because the Steelers had no indication he indulged in motorcycle riding before signing him in 2004.

"Maybe the first persons it'll hit is all the quarterbacks," NFL Player Association president Troy Vincent of the Buffalo Bills said. "Now all the QB contracts may have something in them and then it might start tapering into the wideouts and into the running backs, generally your high-priced guys."

Vincent said he has ridden motorcycles, but never without a helmet.

In May 2005, Cowher warned Roethlisberger about his riding habits after Cleveland tight end Kellen Winslow was injured in a motorcycle accident. Winslow tore knee ligaments and was lost for the season.

"I wish all our players liked board games or low-risk hobbies," Cleveland Browns general manager Phil Savage said. "Unfortunately, that's part of the reason that makes these guys professional athletes. They have a little bit of an edge to want to do more, seek more. Where's the line? I don't know that."

powerfuldragon
06-14-2006, 05:12 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ROETHLISBERGER-BEN-AUTO-MOTORCYCLE-16x20-PHOTO_W0QQitemZ8813643453

Hardcore Texan
06-14-2006, 05:45 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ROETHLISBERGER-BEN-AUTO-MOTORCYCLE-16x20-PHOTO_W0QQitemZ8813643453

There's no way I would spend that much money on a photo, now a new titanium driver (more like a used one for that price), well that's a different story. :redtowel:

CloakNNNdagger
06-14-2006, 06:22 PM
There is untrodden territory here. But NFL contracts carry generic wording re. hazardous activities that may jeopardize the player and ultimately the team. A specific letter confirmed by his agent was sent to Big Ben some time ago concerning this subject. There are questions of how this affects pre CBA contracts. And how likely is it that the Steelers would ostracize their "goose that lays the golden eggs".........even though, at least for now, he has laid an egg of a different kind?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2483239

Hutch13
06-14-2006, 07:59 PM
three words ... get a life http://cgi.ebay.com/BEN-ROETHLISBERGER-MOTORCYCLE-WRECK-CRASH-SOUVENIERS_W0QQitemZ8828833978QQihZ005QQcategoryZ2 5211QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphot ohosting

CloakNNNdagger
06-15-2006, 12:40 PM
Maybe Nike who made their "warriors" commercial, was prophetic in their depiction of Big Ben. A couple more tries and maybe Ben can live out his dream of replacing his whole face with platinum plates. This was his picture in the commercial.:

http://modifiedliving.com/nike/m_bigben.jpg

Texans_Chick
06-15-2006, 06:06 PM
A friend sent me this:

We all know what happened to Ben - some busted teeth, a lot of blood, and a good chewing out by Bill Cowher. But what would've been the outcomes for other NFL quarterbacks in this situation? Here's my theory.

Drew Bledsoe – He would have come under scorching criticism from Terrell Owens.

Eli Manning – Archie would have intervened and forced Philip Rivers to get on the motorcycle.

Donovan McNabb – He would have come under scorching criticism from Terrell Owens.

Mark Brunell – He would have thanked God for giving him that wonderful experience and would have tried to baptize the driver of the car.

Brett Favre – He would have received enormous national coverage and sympathy, and then participated in minicamp the following week, throwing seven interceptions.

Brad Johnson – Nobody would have noticed.

Rex Grossman – This is a trick question, because Grossman wouldn’t have been on the motorcycle. He would’ve been at a surgical clinic having arthroscopic surgery.

Josh McCown – Matt Millen would’ve traded for a wide receiver to replace him.

Chris Simms – People would’ve thought he was Brad Johnson.

Michael Vick – The media would be commenting on how he face-planted spectacularly, and no other quarterback could’ve done it.

Drew Brees – He would’ve been traded or cut because, hey, when you’ve got Reggie Bush you don’t need any other players.

Jake Delhomme – He would have survived and been okay, but people would credit Julius Peppers for saving him.

Alex Smith – He would’ve secretly been grateful for missing the 49ers’ season.

Matt Leinert – He would’ve dropped drastically on the draft chart amidst rumors that he can’t take a hit.

Matt Hasselbeck – He would’ve been embarrassed, because five seconds before the crash he would have predicted that he would beat the car.

Marc Bulger – (Long silence). I got nothing. There’s not a single thing about Bulger that’s interesting.

J.P. Losman – He would’ve overshot and missed the car completely.

Daunte Culpepper – Three years ago, he would have crushed the car and kept on going. Now, he would be injured and the driver of the car would have ended up with everything he was carrying.

Chad Pennington – He would’ve been injured. Duh.

Tom Brady – Angels would have descended and saved Tom from harm, and then after the other car stopped, Tom would have climbed into the back seat and given the driver a neck massage to calm her down.

Steve McNair – He would have walked it off, because Steve McNair is tough, man. He’s really tough. Everyone would have been talking about how tough he is.

Carson Palmer – Kimo Von Oelhoffen would have been ticketed for an illegal left turn.

Charlie Frye – Trent Dilfer would take over the team, win a Super Bowl, and then get benched when Elvis Grbac decided to come out of retirement

Peyton Manning – During his first year back, the NFL would institute a special rule that nobody is allowed to touch Manning, and he only has to say the name of a receiver for it to count as a completed pass.

Vince Young – Pfft. As if anything could hit Vince Young...

Byron Leftwich – He would’ve been okay, but Fred Taylor would have been hospitalized with sympathy pains.

David Carr – He would’ve been fine. He takes harder hits than that every Sunday.

Trent Green – If you think that car would’ve made it past Willie Roaf and Will Shields, you’re crazy.

Aaron Brooks – would fire Art Shell.

Philip Rivers – Nobody knows…nobody has any idea at all.

Jake Plummer – He wouldn’t have hit the windshield at all, because Broncos only hit in the back.

CoastalTexan
06-15-2006, 11:47 PM
Thats Pretty Good TC.

Wharton
06-16-2006, 12:21 AM
Michael Vick – The media would be commenting on how he face-planted spectacularly, and no other quarterback could’ve done it.
Marc Bulger – (Long silence). I got nothing. There’s not a single thing about Bulger that’s interesting.
David Carr – He would’ve been fine. He takes harder hits than that every Sunday.

good stuff, these r my favs

:rofl:

mike moffat
06-16-2006, 12:28 AM
Big Ben says that he likes the freedom he feels by not wearing a helmet. Let's just call it like it is....stupid choice on his part.
Penslyvania just changed the helmet law to read as optional.
I have been riding motorcycles since the mid 60's. I raced dirt bikes until around 1974. I ride today. I have a bike that I ride back and forth to work almost every day. I don't even sit on a motorcycle without putting on my helmet. As the saying goes, "it's not a matter of if, but, when." In 1971 I dropped a bike at 60 mph. I actually went off of the road and hit a reflector head on. The bike bucked me off and I flew about 30 yards before landing on my back and skidding on the back of my helmet. I walked away from the wreck. Without my Bell Star helmet, I would either have been killed or would have sustained substantial brain damage. Broken bones will heal. Skin will grow back. But, head injuries usually kills.
Anyone stupid enough to get on a bike without a helmet deserves what he gets. I'm sorry that he got hurt. But, he made that choice. Maybe next time, he will make the right choice.:twocents:

TexansLucky13
06-16-2006, 02:30 AM
Peyton Manning – During his first year back, the NFL would institute a special rule that nobody is allowed to touch Manning, and he only has to say the name of a receiver for it to count as a completed pass.

:rofl: That is the funniest thing ive heard all day!

I think Big Ben will be fine. If he ever steps onto a motorcycle again, Cowher will eat him alive.

Hutch13
06-16-2006, 03:34 AM
:rofl: that was one of the funniest things i have seen in awhile TC

Wharton
06-16-2006, 01:34 PM
December 23, 2006: So Ben, what do you want for Christmas?

Ben: All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth
my two front teeth
my two front teeth.

Sorry, its a bad joke but I had to do it.

infantrycak
06-21-2006, 02:04 PM
So in the end, Big Ben will pay more fines than the lady:

Roethlisberger will be issued $388 in fines and fees for riding without a license and not wearing a helmet, police Collision Investigator Dan Connolly said Monday. Only licensed motorcyclists are allowed to ride bareheaded in Pennsylvania, with certain restrictions.

The woman, who will be cited for failing to yield to oncoming traffic and fined $106.50

Link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/06/19/bc.fbn.roethlisbergerac.ap/index.html)

TexanFan881
06-21-2006, 02:12 PM
If Ben wasn't a football player the fines would have been way higher than that and the consequences would have been way greater...

infantrycak
06-21-2006, 02:26 PM
If Ben wasn't a football player the fines would have been way higher than that and the consequences would have been way greater...

What kind of paranoia is that? Those look like pretty standard fines. For example, in Texas driving without a license gets a fine up to $200. I guess if the person at fault wasn't a lady then her fine would have been more than $100?

Txdimepce
06-21-2006, 06:00 PM
Um,....not tryin to start anything here but, doesn't David Carr own a motorcycle, or did he get rid of it? Sorry if this is a redundant topic.....

TexanFan881
06-21-2006, 06:04 PM
Um,....not tryin to start anything here but, doesn't David Carr own a motorcycle, or did he get rid of it? Sorry if this is a redundant topic.....

He owns two, but he hasn't rode them. :lightbulb: Atleast David is a step up on Ben in the common sense department :redtowel: Smooth move by Kubiak to :highfive:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3967421.html

The younger Carr can ride when he's 38 assuming he's not still playing football for Texans coach Gary Kubiak, who instituted a no-motorcycle policy after Pro Bowl return specialist Jerome Mathis had an offseason accident.

edo783
06-21-2006, 10:02 PM
Carr just doesnt have the "IT" factor or balance and hand eye coordination good enough to ride a motorcycle and he tends to lock onto stop signs when riding and therefor will never win a SB. Ben has everything and is a god of cycledom and there for will always be better because he willed himself to not die in the crash which he is just using to show his superior abilities.

CloakNNNdagger
07-01-2006, 02:35 PM
Because of all the publicity, the Pennsylvania legislature is probably putting some"window dressing" (http://www.tribune-democrat.com/local/local_story_182002535.html?keyword=topstory) out there to give the appearance of concern.

CloakNNNdagger
07-13-2006, 04:10 PM
And it only keeps on getting "better.":

BEN CLAIMS HE FORGOT HELMET

Although the interview that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger granted to ESPN's Jim Rome will generate plenty of attention for his claim that he was "seconds from death," the most significant aspect of the interview, in our view, is Roethlisberger's explanation that he forgot to get his helmet from the basement on the day of the accident.

He says that he sometimes uses a helmet and sometimes doesn't. "It's nice to be free when you're out riding a motorcycle," he said.

Roethlisberger also contends that he's not breaking the law by not wearing a helmet. Apparently, he still doesn't understand that the law in Pennsylvania requires helmets to be worn except by riders who have had a license for at least two years or who have passed an appropriate safety course. He didn't qualify for either exception (as evidenced by the police citation he received for not wearing a helmet), and thus he was in violation of the law.

Ben also offered some goofy-ass logic in comparing his situation to folks who opt for cars over crotch rockets. "If you don't wear a seat belt every time you ride in a car, should I label you as someone who doesn't wear a seat belt?"

Well, if I get in an accident while not wearing a seat belt, yeah, you should. (It's really good to see he hasn't suffered any apparent drain bamage.)

Roethlisberger also stopped short of committing never to ride a motorcycle again, but promised to wear a helmet if he does.

His appearance meshed with our recent report based on his attendance at the Jerome Bettis wedding over the weekend. He indeed looks "almost normal." There's blood on the right side of his right pupil, and his face seemed a little puffy while he was talking.

Look, we mean the guy no ill will. We're glad he made it, and we're amazed that he could smash his face into a car and look so good barely a month after the incident.

But if his first comments on the subject are any indication, we still think he's a dope.

And if a near-death experience didn't change him, nothing will.

link:http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

mexican_texan
07-18-2006, 03:21 AM
BEN DOESN'T LOOK RIGHT

Okay, we've now seen several images of Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger since he took off the KISS makeup, and we're convinced that something is wrong with his right eye.

Apart from lingering blood in the white stuff next to the iris, his eyes don't line up like they used to. Though we're not opthamologists or optometrists -- and we haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn Express lately -- we've got a feeling that the ability to see a football field while wearing a helmet and standing in the middle of a swarm of large men with bad intentions might depend on whether the quarterback's eyes aren't messed up in some way.

Peripheral vision, in our view, is the key. If Big Ben has lost any of the peripheral vision in his right eye, that's a problem. Though for a right-handed quarterback the notion is that the left side is more critical because it's the "blind side," the last time we checked quarterbacks tend to look straight down the field when setting up to throw. In Roethlisberger's case, any inability to see what might be coming toward the side of the body in which the ball is held could be a big problem.

The official (and unofficial) story remains that no one knows whether, when, and how well Roethlisberger will be able to play. But even though Big Ben looks pretty good for a guy who left a face print on a windshield last month, we won't believe that he's in football shape until we see it with our own eyes.

Okay, I thought it was just me, but there is undoubtedly something wrong with Roethlisberger's face.