PDA

View Full Version : Rick Gosselin's rankings

bckey
06-11-2006, 10:24 AM
Rick posted his off season rankings yesterday. Rick must not like the Texans because he ranks them dead last even after all the off season moves we've made. I guess it is true that the Texans will never get any respect until they go out and earn it. No way the Texans should be ranked 32nd though.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/nfl/stories/061106dnsponflranks.785cf76.html

Malloy
06-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Rick posted his off season rankings yesterday. Rick must not like the Texans because he ranks them dead last even after all the off season moves we've made. I guess it is true that the Texans will never get any respect until they go out and earn it. No way the Texans should be ranked 32nd though.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/nfl/stories/061106dnsponflranks.785cf76.html

I feel the love :)

Texans86
06-11-2006, 10:30 AM
I'm glad he focused on everyone picking up someone else, while he focused on us losing our GM and coach. Apparently we've all been wrong, we didn't sign anyone through FA, we have no coach or GM, and we didn't have a draft. However, the Colts get number 2 for picking up Adam Viniteri (spelling terrible) and losing in the first round of the playoffs last year. Great round-up of the off season.

Texans86
06-11-2006, 10:33 AM
Sucker bet says we'd be at least ten spots higher if we had drafted Bush. Any takers?

edo783
06-11-2006, 10:40 AM
Good ranking. Now hopefully lots of folks look past us.

threetoedpete
06-11-2006, 10:46 AM
We earned this disrespect with our record last year. Players who should of steped up and make plays didn't. Guys who should of had a couple of seasons left in the tank had the wheels fall of the wagon. This time of year, when guys are throwing "W's" up when they look at the schedule, should temper their passion with articles like this. Agreed: we had a great off season. If we'd done what the heard wanted us to do we'd of ranked higher. But make no mistake about it. We earned this disrespect. The positive ? We've got no wheres to go but up. We're definately under the radar. We sneak in two early upsets....

Double Barrel
06-11-2006, 10:46 AM
yeah, I don't mind being underdogs. Teams might not prepare as hard when prepping for us and could have a tendency to underestimate our team. Hopefully we can capitalize on this and take advantage of the situation.

oh, and...uhhh...who is Rick Gosselin and why should I care? :howdy:

Dcol_79
06-11-2006, 10:51 AM
what do you expect from someone in Dallas. He didnt mention how pissed off TO will be when stonehenge stops getting him the ball.

TD
06-11-2006, 10:58 AM
oh, and...uhhh...who is Rick Gosselin and why should I care? :howdy:

Exactly my first thought.

I wonder how often preseason pollsters' #1 (or #32) finish there. I admit that I enjoy the power rankings, but in the end, they're meaningless.

Sco-tai
06-11-2006, 01:19 PM
Nice :brickwall

Sure...we earned our 2 - 14 record last year. But to put us behind several other teams in far worse positions than us (Detroit, SF, NY Jets) is silly.

I can't wait to send him a copy of this at the end of the year, along with a few job opportunities. Because writing about FOOTBALL is not something he should obviously be doing.

Cheers, Rick! :francis:

Wolf
06-11-2006, 01:28 PM
he seemed to not do his homework and put this together really quick. I believe as yall do as respect is earned and being in last place doens't help much, but yes ....for him to say the Texans don't need a better plan but better players.

I am not understanding his logic unless he is afraid the Texans might steal some thunder from the Cowboys and the Dallas morning news in the San Antonio area.

not sure of the wishy-washy analysis.. His analysis is actually below even yahoo's standards.

I for one am not mad at the 32nd ranking because we do actually deserve it until we show we are better than that..

Buffi2
06-11-2006, 01:46 PM
I admit that I enjoy the power rankings, but in the end, they're meaningless.

Especially in June! It is a long way until Sept - maybe not in months - but in player evaluations. This guy is just filling space until August.:rolleyes:

DocBar
06-11-2006, 01:46 PM
What a douchebag. Evidently they don't drug test where he works. Just looking at the '06 rankings, outside the top 4 (which a 1st grader could have done) it's a train wreck. Miami 5 and Denver 10??? This must have been found in the Sunday Comics section. Just too funny to be factual. And I even forgot to mention Arizona at 15!!!!:homer:
Like others, I don't mind our ranking. It's the rankings of other teams that blows his list out of the water. That and the fact that the Texans eveidently added no talent this year, according to him. Then again, maybe LOSING the talent of Capers and Casserly can be considered a gain!!!

HARRYJ
06-11-2006, 01:49 PM

I think He's right on target. Have you upgraded the QB?:twocents:

DocBar
06-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Yes we did. Palmers, Pendry and Capers have been shown the door. Go back to ChickenHawk, I mean Eagle land.:shoot: LOL!!

HARRYJ
06-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Now you're being silly.

Wolf
06-11-2006, 02:12 PM

not sure Harry
we upgraded the talent around him and we know Carr has the physial ability to make the throws, now if Kubiak can get his head on straight.

HARRYJ
06-11-2006, 02:15 PM
While I keep asking the same question, I only do it because there seems to be a lot of different opinions on the subject. Your's seems to be well thought out.:ok:

DocBar
06-11-2006, 02:19 PM
While I keep asking the same question, I only do it because there seems to be a lot of different opinions on the subject. Your's seems to be well thought out.:ok:
Too bad we don't have Donovan "Choke & Puke" McNabb.

HARRYJ
06-11-2006, 02:25 PM
yea, that going to the SB thing 2 years ago would have been a little too much for you Oilers fans to handle, I feel ya.:homer:

DocBar
06-11-2006, 02:45 PM
yea, that going to the SB thing 2 years ago would have been a little too much for you Oilers fans to handle, I feel ya.:homer:
Not at all....the Titans went a few years ago. THAT sucked. The Eagles? HAHAHAHAHA

Insideop
06-11-2006, 02:47 PM
he seemed to not do his homework and put this together really quick. I believe as yall do as respect is earned and being in last place doens't help much, but yes ....for him to say the Texans don't need a better plan but better players.

Wolf, your first sentence is an understatement! LOL! This guy is nothing but a third rate HACK IMO(and probably making good money as a so called "sports writer" too). :shoot: As for the "Texans don't need a better plan but better players" quote, IMO we got both!:drool: Now it's up to the coaches to get the players to come together as a team and play as a TEAM, and EARN that RESPECT!:respect:

HARRYJ
06-11-2006, 02:54 PM
Not at all....the Titans went a few years ago. THAT sucked. The Eagles? HAHAHAHAHA

Don't worry, you'll kids will see the Texans get there.

Wolf
06-11-2006, 02:59 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/story?id=2441187

espn poll has over 11,000 people voting on the Texans.. 68 percent says "back to the drawing board" 18 percent say"just miss playoffs"

:shoot:

HARRYJ
06-11-2006, 03:02 PM
15.5% have the Eagles going back to the SB!:cool:

BigTimeTexanFan
06-11-2006, 03:07 PM
Really, how can anyone predict what the Texans are going to do this season. With as much turnover that we have had plus new schemes, this team is a complete mystery to me. We Texans fans of course are predicting great things, but who really knows?Can a bunch of new players and coaches and schemes be dumped into one big bowl and produce a beautiful cake, or will the ingredients produce been casserole?? I personally like cake and that's what I'm hoping for

HARRYJ
06-11-2006, 03:23 PM
That's the worst thing about the off-season, we just don't know. Going into last year both our teams were looking forward to good things.:brickwall

DocBar
06-11-2006, 03:24 PM
um....I'm all for Betty Crocker being our next GM. She REALLY knows how to mix all the right ingrediants. Just kidding. Those are very good points, and while optimistic about our future, I hold some of the same fears. What if this turns out to be "Nastyrolle Surprise" instead of "Playoff Bound Souffle"? I plan on enjoying the ride and hope for, but not expect, huge gains this year. Getting back to 7-9 would be fantabulous in my book.:francis:

HARRYJ
06-11-2006, 03:25 PM
I'm getting hungry.:confused:

aj.
06-11-2006, 04:10 PM
This guy is nothing but a third rate HACK IMO(and probably making good money as a so called "sports writer" too)

I've been reading Gosselin for years and he's a pretty good writer. Better than anything we have. I'm sure if he would have ranked the Texans 24th or something he would be a great writer who 'gets it.' Random rankings like this are pretty meaningless anyway - certainly nothing to get the panties wadded about.

DocBar
06-11-2006, 04:44 PM
I've been reading Gosselin for years and he's a pretty good writer. Better than anything we have. I'm sure if he would have ranked the Texans 24th or something he would be a great writer who 'gets it.' Random rankings like this are pretty meaningless anyway - certainly nothing to get the panties wadded about.
I'm not sure I agree with you. If he woulod have mention Moulds, Flanagan, our draft, maybe. All he mentions are Capers and Casserly.I won't even get into his other rankings. If he ranks 32nd, then fine. Give me more reasons than us losing at least one of the main reasons we're 32nd. He may be a fine sports writer, but this is NOT, IMHO, one of his finer articles, Texans notwithstanding.

HARRYJ
06-11-2006, 04:49 PM

This should be more to their liking

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=98678

Wolf
06-11-2006, 04:55 PM
This should be more to their liking

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=98678

I agree it should be an a- for what we have accomplished. Just because our offseason might be ranked a- doesn't necessarily mean we get to the playoffs, I could see it meaning approx 5 or 6 more wins than last season. I am still sticking to my 2004 model.. I think we will be close to that (7 wins).

HARRYJ
06-11-2006, 05:01 PM
We concur.

TK_Gamer
06-11-2006, 05:16 PM
well he obviously doens think too highly of Kubiak, but alot of people are reserved about New head coaches without any head coach credentials. I'll wait to see what he says at the half way point of the season. I think we should rank about 20th or so , but we'll see

Texans_Chick
06-11-2006, 06:40 PM

I'd be OK with where he ranked the Texans if he actually seemed like he gave half a thought to it. The way it read is like what you would write if you were running out of time before deadline. ("Uh, they're starting over, they have no talent, there, I'm done, start the presses.")

Truly, even for a ridiculous pre-pre-pre season ranking, it was totally substandard.

He gets a:

what.

ever.

HARRYJ
06-11-2006, 06:52 PM
I'd be OK with where he ranked the Texans if he actually seemed like he gave half a thought to it. The way it read is like what you would write if you were running out of time before deadline. ("Uh, they're starting over, they have no talent, there, I'm done, start the presses.")

Truly, even for a ridiculous pre-pre-pre season ranking, it was totally substandard.

He gets a:

what.

ever.

Not nearly up to some other musings I have read! LOL

I have been reintroducing myself to the members around here but they are catching on to me.:tease:

aj.
06-11-2006, 06:54 PM
The Texans are the worst team in the NFL until proven otherwise. I'm confident they will prove otherwise but what do you expect from someone outside the Beltway? (that would be the Sam Houston Tollway for the out-of towners). If I was a national guy writing the article, I probably wouldn't waste a bunch of time on the Jets, 49ers, Titans, and Texans either (or whoever he put at the bottom of the pile). Yes, I sense a turnaround in our midst but my optimism is always guarded.

HARRYJ
06-11-2006, 06:57 PM
The Texans have made so many quality changes to the entire organization that they should be getting noticed.:stirpot:

aj.
06-11-2006, 07:04 PM
How do you know they are quality changes? First time head coach, first time offensive coordinator, first time defensive coordinator, GM that looks like he could still play DB, new playbooks on both sides. Super Bowl rings here, great locker room guys there....

Yeah, anything is better than CC, Capers, Pendry, and Fangio but ... do all the changes guarantee improvement? And if so, how? (without seeing the product in a meaningful game situation)

Hulk75
06-11-2006, 07:19 PM
Good ranking. Now hopefully lots of folks look past us.
Yep...........Put us 33rd or 34th while he is at it, then we will beat your sorry Cowgirl team that is ranked 11...........Give me a break I bet they dont even make the playoffs.

In fact I hope the Cowboys come up one W short, and they can look back at the W we dropped on them earlier that season.

OR!!!!!!!!!

We play them in Miami for the Superbowl and blow them clean out.:fireball:

HARRYJ
06-11-2006, 07:20 PM
I understand where you are coming from but the fact is that the coach and the GM both came from a winning system. Moulds is a proven guy. Mario has more upside then just about anyone on your team. I understand you are a little gunshy at this point but you should be excited about what is happening. We all know that the other way didn't work.:ok:

HARRYJ
06-11-2006, 07:22 PM
Yep...........Put us 33rd or 34th while he is at it, then we will beat your sorry Cowgirl team that is ranked 11...........Give me a break I bet they dont even make the playoffs.

In fact I hope the Cowboys come up one W short, and they can look back at the W we dropped on them earlier that season.

OR!!!!!!!!!

We play them in Miami for the Superbowl and blow them clean out.:fireball:

That's the spirit, Hulkster! I will never again try to be a gr8 pain in your kiester!

HARRYJ
06-11-2006, 07:23 PM
Just don't blow an O-ring when you lose the first game!:hides:

Hulk75
06-11-2006, 07:28 PM
Just don't blow an O-ring when you lose the first game!:hides:
Just to let you know you have a QB that I respect and like to watch play, he is a good player and underated sometimes.

Texans_Chick
06-11-2006, 07:43 PM
How do you know they are quality changes? First time head coach, first time offensive coordinator, first time defensive coordinator, GM that looks like he could still play DB, new playbooks on both sides. Super Bowl rings here, great locker room guys there....

Yeah, anything is better than CC, Capers, Pendry, and Fangio but ... do all the changes guarantee improvement? And if so, how? (without seeing the product in a meaningful game situation)

No guarantees. I have no idea how well or poorly they are going to play. I've seen all sorts of encouraging things, but that and a nickle won't buy me Starbucks.

But in an age of parity (or "parody" as my favorite unintentional misspelling goes), last year's record means squat.

It was just a woefully lame write up. That's all.

HARRYJ
06-11-2006, 07:50 PM
That and $4 won't buy you starbucks!:ok:

Bobo
06-11-2006, 08:07 PM

You, as are many others, are swallowing you're own puff-piece press clippings. Folks outside the Houston area who see things objectively are giving a realistic outlook of this team. Personally, I don't see the Texans as dead last but I don't see them too much better. In Vegas, where the folks have money on the line, the over/under for the Texans is five games -- and the guy who is in charge of setting the odds for one place noted they "can't go too much lower than five." The thing that should really concern folks about this team is Dominick Davis. Believe me, neither Michael Bennett nor Morency nor Smith are going to be able to replace Davis on a long-term basis. The fact that Davis is still unable to practice after an entire off-season is somewhat disconcerting seeing that he is expected to take on a huge part of the load the entire season this year. I was the biggest defender of the Mario Williams pick this year, but I assumed that Davis would be healthy. It turns out he may not be, and now I have to wonder.

bayoudreamn
06-11-2006, 09:10 PM
The Texans have made so many quality changes to the entire organization that they should be getting noticed.:stirpot:

But they're not (getting noticed), which is actually a very good thing..... 2006 Texans (think Coors "Love Train")

bayoudreamn
06-11-2006, 09:13 PM
Just to let you know you have a QB that I respect and like to watch play, he is a good player and underated sometimes.

....and he's going to spend so much time on this backside in the first game that they're going to make him pay for a ticket before he leaves.

HARRYJ
06-12-2006, 11:01 AM
I hear the the Eagles are just gonna get out of Super Mario's way because he is "just that good." It's a good thing i came here so I won't be too surprised after opening kick-off, thanks!:poker:

abilenetexanfan
06-12-2006, 12:08 PM
Hulk75 you got the right idea. Who cares what some Dallas guy says we are still gonna beat they're precious"Cowgirls" when we play them just like we did in our first game as a brand new team with a rookie QB and shutting down Emmit Smith in '02.