PDA

View Full Version : Release List

rdbrem
09-05-2004, 04:33 PM
Texans release 15
HoustonTexans.com

The Houston Texans waived 15 players Sunday.

Players released include: linebacker D.D. Acholonu, center Luke Butkus, defensive end Jason Davis, tight end Jabari Holloway, safety Jammal Lord, defensive tackle Terrance Martin, running back Adam Matthews, tight end Matt Murphy, linebacker Shantee Orr, linebacker Antonio Rodriguez, defensive tackle Jeremy Slechta, fullback Ed Stansbury, wide receiver Chris Taylor, wide receiver Sloan Thomas and cornerback Darrick Vaughn.

The team will form an eight-man practice squad tomorrow.

See website www.houstontexans.com, under Texans Release 15

dredge
09-05-2004, 04:36 PM
Who do you think makes the practice squad (provided they aren't claimed by another team)?
Lord
Thomas
Vaughn
Orr
Maybe Taylor

Fiddy
09-05-2004, 04:40 PM
Orr and Vaughn arent eligible for the practice squad

beerlover
09-05-2004, 04:41 PM
So far then out of the draft class of 2004 the Texans have waived pick's #170 Vontez Duff, #175 Jammal Lord & #211 Sloan Thomas. They still have 8 more players to be put on the unprotected practice squad, wow the Texans must suddenly be deep. :rolleyes:

TEXANS84
Wow...Shante Orr...thats too bad, but I'm sure he'll be put on the practice squad.

Im just happy JJ didn't get cut. Looks like we are going with 6 wide recievers, and trimming down the secondary.

TexSon
Nothing too suprising...
Moses stays and Starling makes the team.
I am suprised that both Holloway and Murphy were released, however. Do we only have 2 TE on the roster now? Maybe they feel Joppru is quickly recovering?

BradK10
Lord
Terrance Martin
Darrick Vaughn
Shantae Orr
Sloan Thomas
Jabari Holloway
Luke Butkus
Antonio Rodriguez (long shot, but why not?)

powda
09-05-2004, 04:45 PM
Texans release 15
HoustonTexans.com

HOUTON - The Houston Texans waived 15 players, it was annoucned today:

Linebacker D.D. Acholonu, center Luke Butkus, defensive end Jason Davis, tight end Jabari Holloway, safety Jammal Lord, defensive tackle Terrance Martin, running back Adam Matthews, tight end Matt Murphy, linebacker Shantee Orr, linebacker Antonio Rodriguez, defensive tackle Jeremy Slechta, fullback Ed Stansbury, wide receiver Chris Taylor, wide receiver Sloan Thomas and cornerback Darrick Vaughn.

edo783
09-05-2004, 04:50 PM
No real surprises other than at TE. With Hollaway and Murphy both cut, they must be pretty certain that Bennie is making it back. I bet they put Murphy on the PS though for issurance.

texansfan88
09-05-2004, 04:51 PM
Bennie may be back, but you have 6-9 weeks to keep these 2 healthy

texasguy346
09-05-2004, 04:55 PM
No real surprises other than at TE. With Hollaway and Murphy both cut, they must be pretty certain that Bennie is making it back. I bet they put Murphy on the PS though for issurance.

I agree with you on that point. I think they'll try and keep Lord and either Slecthta or Martin on the PS too. Hopefully Thomas clears waivers as well, and they can place him there too.

TexSon
09-05-2004, 04:56 PM
TexSon, think Joppru will be on the PUP for 5 games?

Not sure...
I don't really know what the rules are for the PUP list. It will be interesting to see if they add anybody at TE in the next few days.

texasguy346
09-05-2004, 04:58 PM
I'm pretty sure that when you place a player on the PUP he's out for 5 or 6 games. Then they get some time to evaluate the player and determine to activate him or put him on IR.

Mistril48
09-05-2004, 04:58 PM
I'm confused.

I think they have 57, with 3 potential PUP (Symons, Ramon Walker and Joppru). Aren't they 1 over?

Mistril48
09-05-2004, 05:00 PM
Orr and Vaughn arent eligible for the practice squad
I understand Vaughn, but was Orr active enough that he's ineligible? I thought he was only around at the end of last year.

texansfan88
09-05-2004, 05:02 PM
PUP list-6 weeks out, then 3 week practice window, then you decide whether you cut, IR, or activate them.

NFL Europe exemptions to the guy that said about 57 players

Vinny
09-05-2004, 05:03 PM
ARTICLE XXXIV

PRACTICE SQUADS

Section 1. Practice Squads: For each regular season commencing with the 1993 League Year, the League may elect in accordance with this Article to establish practice squads not to exceed five (5) players per Club.

Section 2. Signing With Other Clubs: Any player under contract to a Club as a practice squad player shall be completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any Club at any time during the League Year, to serve as a player on any Clubís Active or Inactive List, and any Club is completely free to negotiate and sign such a Player Contract with such player, without penalty or restriction, including, but not limited to, Draft Choice Compensation between Clubs or First Refusal Rights of any kind, or any signing period, except that such player shall not be permitted to sign a Player Contract with another Club to serve as a practice squad player while under contract as a practice squad player.

Section 3. Salary: Minimum salary for a practice squad player shall be $3,300 per week for the 1993-97 League Years, $3,650 per week for the 1998-99 League Years, $4,000 per week for the 2000-02 League Years, and $4,350 for the 2003-04 League Years, including post‑season weeks in which his Club is in the playoffs, provided however, that no player who was on a practice squad in the 1992 season shall be paid less than the minimum practice squad salary for that season.

*Extension Agreement 2/25/98

Section 4. Eligibility:

(a) The practice squad shall consist of the following players, provided that they have not served more than one previous season on a Practice Squad: (i) players who do not have an Accrued Season of NFL experience; and (ii) free agent players who were on the Active List for fewer than nine regular season games during their only Accrued Season(s). No player may be a practice squad player for more than two seasons.

(b) A player shall be deemed to have served on a Practice Squad in a season if he has passed the clubís physical and has been a member of a clubís Practice Squad for at least three regular season or post-season games (a bye week counts as a game provided that the player is not terminated until after the regular season or post-season weekend in question).

* If a player on the Practice Squad of one club (Club A) signs an NFL Player Contract with another club (Club B),

Page 165

(1) the player shall receive three weeks salary of his NFL Player Contract at the 53-player Active/Inactive List minimum even if he is terminated by Club B prior to earning that amount, and (2) Club B is required to count the player on its 53-player Active/Inactive List for three games (a bye week counts as a game) even if he is terminated or assigned via waivers to another club or is signed as a free agent to another clubís 53-player roster or another clubís Practice Squad prior to that time. If the player is terminated from Club Bís 53-player roster and signed to Club Bís Practice Squad, he shall continue to count on the clubís 53-player Active/Inactive List but shall not count against the five-player Practice Squad limit until the three-game requirement has been fulfilled. If a player is terminated prior to the completion of the three-game period and is signed to Club Bís Practice Squad or is signed or assigned to another clubís 53-player roster or Practice Squad, any salary (as that term is defined in Article XXIV, Section 1(c)) that he receives from any NFL club applicable to the three-game period shall be an offset against the three weeks salary that he is entitled to receive from Club B.
(side letter 8-18-97)

Mistril48
09-05-2004, 05:06 PM
NFL Europe exemptions to the guy that said about 57 players
I thought the Europe exemption ended today?

Mistril48
09-05-2004, 06:24 PM
LB Anthony Dunn added to list of released players

TexasAggie
09-05-2004, 06:24 PM
They have added A Dunn to the cut list to get the roster to 56 with 3 on PUP list :boxing: :boxing:

Hottoddie
09-05-2004, 06:49 PM
These cuts leave them with just Sears, DeLoach, & Ioane as their only DL reserves backing up 2 players (Walker & Payne) coming off of injuries, & one of them being a very serious injury. I'm hoping they plan on picking up someone.

I can't believe they kept Jason Bell. He scares me when he's in the game.

I see that Jason Gildon has been waived. I wonder if the Texans are going to make a run at him?

texansfan88
09-05-2004, 06:50 PM
Capers said the team will use an offensive lineman in situations requiring a third tight end. Tackle Seth Wand served in that capacity in 2003. Marcus Spears will now see time at the position.

MrLizardTX
09-05-2004, 07:33 PM
I can't believe they kept Jason Bell. He scares me when he's in the game.

He's been one of the best special teams player since he's been on the team.

DoCt3rJ
09-05-2004, 07:48 PM
I think Bills were trying him(Gildon) out at DE, I saw that on their depth cart, eh well hes prolly got a little left in his tank, but we dont need him.

texasguy346
09-05-2004, 08:23 PM
TE Micheal Ricks was released by the Jets. Perhaps the Texans would be interested in him.

texanfan
09-05-2004, 08:45 PM
Murphy is definitly good enough to be on the roster. He was probably cut due to numbers and they are probably hoping he will sign to their ps, if he does I bet he's bumped up pretty fast. I doubt they are looking for another tight end to sign, they just cut one that could probably contribute more than any other tight end they could get off waivers.

aj.
09-05-2004, 09:26 PM
Think about who you're going to cut when you start picking up all these players.

I thought the Europe exemption ended today? They do.

real
06-06-2006, 12:41 PM
remember this...I wish we had moses about now...

powerfuldragon
06-06-2006, 12:52 PM
talk about resurrecting the dead.

gsbtxn
06-06-2006, 01:04 PM
Man, that ain't cool at all. I was reading down that list and almost fell out of my chair when I read Shantee Orr's name. Why in the world would you resurrect a 2 year old thread? You trying to kill me?

real
06-06-2006, 01:05 PM
Man, that ain't cool at all. I was reading down that list and almost fell out of my chair when I read Shantee Orr's name. Why in the world would you resurrect a 2 year old thread? You trying to kill me?

Ha ha...

TEXANRED
06-06-2006, 01:13 PM
I thought the same thing. I couldn't belive Orr's name was on the list and then started reading about how glad some were that JJ was not on the cut list. Which confussed me even more. When did we pick mosses back up. Then I felt sorry for Lord, thinking, how many times are we gonna cut this guy?

Not cool at all.

real
06-06-2006, 01:32 PM
I thought the same thing. I couldn't belive Orr's name was on the list and then started reading about how glad some were that JJ was not on the cut list. Which confussed me even more. When did we pick mosses back up. Then I felt sorry for Lord, thinking, how many times are we gonna cut this guy?

Not cool at all.

It's june....I'm at work...Thought i'd do a little reminiscing...

Cjeremy635
06-06-2006, 01:45 PM

Not cool at all.

I was thinking the same thing. That's the second time recently that I've started reading a thread and it was an old one someone posted in and it threw me for a loop!:brickwall

Brandon420tx
06-06-2006, 02:02 PM
I was thinking the same thing. That's the second time recently that I've started reading a thread and it was an old one someone posted in and it threw me for a loop!:brickwall
I'm lucky I always read the time the first post was posted. :)