PDA

View Full Version : Peek signed to new deal

dtran04
06-09-2006, 07:21 PM
On the new practice report at the bottom, there is a note saying that Peek has been resigned for a undisclosed amount. There's our new GM's first action.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2631&section=N%20Latest%20News

nunusguy
06-09-2006, 07:24 PM
"In the fold: Perhaps no player on the Texans' defense had a larger role than Antwan Peek last year."
Huh ?

texan279
06-09-2006, 07:35 PM
"In the fold: Perhaps no player on the Texans' defense had a larger role than Antwan Peek last year."
Huh ?

DaShon Polk and Shantee Orr had pretty big roles if I remember correctly...

edo783
06-09-2006, 08:48 PM
Mmmm, bit confused by this. I thought he had signed his RFA a month or so ago. This is being reported as only a 1 year deal, so what's the difference between it and a signed RFA beats the heck out of me, but good to have him signed.

texan279
06-09-2006, 08:52 PM
Mmmm, bit confused by this. I thought he had signed his RFA a month or so ago. This is being reported as only a 1 year deal, so what's the difference between it and a signed RFA beats the heck out of me, but good to have him signed.

Is it that he just signed the tender we offered him awhile back or am I missing something?

Texans_Chick
06-09-2006, 08:54 PM
Huh ?

Yeah, that particular quote was a headscratcher, unless you count the game where he got three penalties in one drive.

I am guessing that they have big expectations for him. As I mentioned here in the blog (http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2006/05/texans_all_access_event_1.html), I experienced one of those Sesame Street moments seeing Peek on the stage at the "All Access." You know, like the song--"one of these things, is not like the other."

On stage, Kubiak introduced a bunch of the experienced new free agents.
Introduced Mario
Introduced Andre and Carr

and introduced Peek. Peek??? I like him as much as the next person, but I couldn't figure out why Kubiak chose to put him on stage with the others.

Not Babin. Not Dunta.

Peek.

Maybe it was one of those things of being kind of an accident--you know, like Peek really wanted to do it--but it made me scratch my head a bit like reading "no player on the Texans' defense had a larger role than Antwan Peek last year."

I know he has been working out like a beast in the off-season, so many it is a bit of reward for his hard work.

Durnit, I am ready for the season so I can talk about stuff that is real and not illusory.

Double Barrel
06-09-2006, 09:37 PM
I trust Coach Kubiak, so I figure anyone that's left is someone that his staff sees potential in. Peek always seemed to have a good bit of raw talent, so maybe it just wasn't focussed in the right direction. Hopefully a 4-3 will be a better scheme for his strengths.

Kaiser Toro
06-09-2006, 11:45 PM
Huh ?

Things that make you go Peek? Don't mind the signing, but can we get the truth and not be treated like kids with this BS?

CloakNNNdagger
06-10-2006, 08:00 AM
Huh ?

Maybe, Kub was talking about breakfast, and it's an overlooked misspell???

aj.
06-10-2006, 08:03 AM
Take it easy on Carmine. He's new.

Texans_Chick
06-10-2006, 08:44 AM

Good point. (Personally, I thought it was a little funny.)

So, am I the only person curious about Peek being introduced on stage at "All Access?"

Kaiser Toro
06-10-2006, 08:53 AM

Seems like Mr. Pirone needs to understand the history of this franchise, his market as well as how the Chronicle writers have been. He may be a nice guy and very good at what he does, but that ain't going to cut it around here for no cover.

aj.
06-10-2006, 09:04 AM
fanfeedback@houstontexans.com

Kaiser Toro
06-10-2006, 10:26 AM
fanfeedback@houstontexans.com

I don't read the articles unless they are brought to the board. Appreciate the link, but my feedback has been given in the correct medium.

Hulk75
06-10-2006, 11:57 AM
I am glad he got a new deal, high energy guy, good football player. Really going to help that Mario is on the other side, Peek is going to have his best year yet.

TEXANS84
06-10-2006, 12:05 PM
:yahoo:

mexican_texan
06-10-2006, 02:53 PM
:yahoo:
I see your Peek jersey is going to be good for a while...

wicked_wayz
06-10-2006, 09:37 PM
im glad peek got resigned, he by far is one of my favourite players, and he can be great under the new scheme. lets not forget that richard smith praise peek for his abilities, saying that he will excel and that he has the potential.

bATXle red
06-11-2006, 02:52 AM
i don't know anyone that would have been happy to see him go. i've been kinda wondering why it took this long for the signing.

LORK 88
06-11-2006, 03:00 AM
I see your Peek jersey is going to be good for a while...
apparently, its only a 1 year deal so he needs to prove himself so he can stay around awhile longer

cj5776
06-11-2006, 03:00 AM
i don't know anyone that would have been happy to see him go. i've been kinda wondering why it took this long for the signing.

He put on wieght to play DE, and honestly I wish they would have waited until they put on pads before he got resigned.

mexican_texan
06-11-2006, 03:49 AM
apparently, its only a 1 year deal so he needs to prove himself so he can stay around awhile longer
Well, I guess I'm in the same boat. My only Texans jersey is a Domanick Davis Liberty white jersey and I've heard he may be a cap casualty in '07.

On a side note, I bought a Vince Carter jersey right before the season he got traded and a Santana Moss jersey soon after...

infantrycak
06-12-2006, 12:51 PM
He put on wieght to play DE, and honestly I wish they would have waited until they put on pads before he got resigned.

It looks like this is just Peek signing the RFA tender. If that is the case, the Texans didn't have any option on the timing. They had to tender Peek by a certain date to keep him from being an UFA. After that, Peek could sign it at any time unless the offer was withdrawn, once again making Peek an UFA.

aj.
06-12-2006, 07:01 PM
They had to tender Peek by a certain date to keep him from being an UFA.

That date is typically on or around March 1 but this year was pushed back a week or so because of the CBA negotiations.