PDA

View Full Version : Weaver making the transition to defensive tackle

texanfan2002114
06-09-2006, 11:47 AM
Texans | Weaver making the transition to defensive tackle
Fri, 9 Jun 2006 05:59:19 -0700

The Associated Press reports Houston Texans DL Anthony Weaver has been moved from defensive end to tackle. Having never played tackle exclusively, he knows the transition will take time. He said making the switch is not as difficult as dealing with the Texas' heat. "It's a little bit of a shock to my system," Weaver said of the 90 degree heat combined with Houston's trademark stifling humidity. "Hopefully I'll get acclimated to it, but for now I'm still trying to do that." The Texans decision to pick DE Mario Williams first in the NFL Draft pushed Weaver to tackle. Texans head coach Gary Kubiak likes the way Weaver has already become comfortable on his new team. At practice, Weaver is often seen giving high-fives and shouting words of encouragement. Though he's made the move to tackle, he still feels a responsibility to help make Williams' transition to the NFL smooth.

texanfan2002114
06-09-2006, 11:48 AM
somehow got 2 threads, mods can you please delete one

El Tejano
06-09-2006, 12:11 PM
Nice to know he was willing to do so. I hope this works.

texanfan2002114
06-09-2006, 12:14 PM
Just alittle worried that the Texans gave him alot of money to play DE and now he is playing DT

santo
06-09-2006, 12:24 PM
Had a question...

Would it be easier for Weaver to play DT than for Williams to play DT?

I am just wondering because Weaver has been playing DE for some time now, unless he's played that position before.

real
06-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Had a question...

Would it be easier for Weaver to play DT than for Williams to play DT?

I am just wondering because Weaver has been playing DE for some time now, unless he's played that position before.

DE is definitely the more complicated of the two positions...So other than the physical aspect, I don't see weaver having much trouble with the conversion

santo
06-09-2006, 12:31 PM
DE is definitely the more complicated of the two positions...So other than the physical aspect, I don't see weaver having much trouble with the conversion

Thanks!

CMoak1982
06-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Weaver played DT at Notre Dame, he came out as one. When he was drafted by the Ravens they were running a 34, where he played DE, and as we all know 34 DE are DT's, he'll be fine there, we'll have a very athletic line.

infantrycak
06-09-2006, 12:40 PM
Weaver with Payne or Smith next to him at DT should make for a tough up the gut D and let the MLB, whoever that turns out to be, have a much easier time being aggressive.

Lucky
06-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Just alittle worried that the Texans gave him alot of money to play DE and now he is playing DT
The Texans will spend $14 million in cap room this season on 4 DT's (Weaver, Smith, Payne, & Johnson). Over the past 3 years, the Texans have handed out about $32 million in bonus money to players now playing DT. That number doesn't include Gary Walker's signing bonus.

nunusguy
06-09-2006, 12:58 PM
Like most of us, I'm delighted with what appears to be a fast and positive
start for Kubiak & Co. And the college Draft was very strong, probably the
best one we've had so far. But of course, only time will tell about how productive the Draft will be for us.
But at the same time, lets be candid and honest about the Weaver acqusision in FA. It was a screw-up, plain and simple when taken in the context of drafting Mario #1, because as we know we got Weaver to play
the same position Mario will be playing. And a clear indication we had intended to draft somebody, anybody but another strong-side DE (wonder who we had in mind ?). But that's another subject. If I were to put it diplomatically, it was a "miscalculation".
Now perhaps every thing will work out OK capwise, because that's the biggest consideration. Fortunately, Weaver is young (25-26 I think) anyhow and we have a good chance of getting value from him over the life if his contract, unlike Payne who's time is probably limited. I would just hope he
is one of our 2 best DTs, because he'd be a very expensive luxury if his primary role ends up being Mario's backup.

SESupergenius
06-09-2006, 01:01 PM
I would say either Robiare or Payne has got to be cut pretty soon, we can't keep that much on the payroll to go against the cap.

Lucky
06-09-2006, 01:08 PM
I would say either Robiare or Payne has got to be cut pretty soon, we can't keep that much on the payroll to go against the cap.
The Texans are under the cap, even taking into consideration the rest of the rookie signings. Unless there's someone still on the free agent market they're interested in (who?), I think all the DTs will stick. Maybe a trade could come down if a team loses a DT in the preseason? I think the point is that on March 11th, the Texans weren't considering drafting Mario Williams.

edo783
06-09-2006, 01:25 PM
I think the point is that on March 11th, the Texans weren't considering drafting Mario Williams.

IMO, it's not that they weren't considering it, it is that no decision had been made and a reasonable plan in the face of uncertainity, would be to grab a good DE when available as one was not on the team at that point. In 20/20 hindsite, perhaps not a perfect aquisition, but hardly a disaster.

Lucky
06-09-2006, 01:33 PM
In 20/20 hindsite, perhaps not a perfect aquisition, but hardly a disaster.
I'm not calling it a disaster. Weaver's a good player. I just don't think they would have given the guy a $12 million bonus if there was a decent chance of taking a DE with the 1st pick and Weaver moving inside.

Right now, the Texans are paying for a dominant defensive line. That's OK, as long as they dominate. For the Texans to win on Sundays, these guys have to beat the oppositions o-line.

TK_Gamer
06-09-2006, 01:39 PM
I disagree, I dont know how you could call the aquistion bad at all, we were switching to 4-3 whether we drafted mario or not, wich meant we needed more defensive lineman than linebackers, whether he plays DE or DT Weaver will be valuable talent on the D-line.

nunusguy
06-09-2006, 01:43 PM
I disagree, I dont know how you could call the aquistion bad at all, we were switching to 4-3 whether we drafted mario or not, wich meant we needed more defensive lineman than linebackers, whether he plays DE or DT Weaver will be valuable talent on the D-line.
Yea, but you need LBs and DBs to, and that's just the Defense. And cap bucks are a finite resource, and the winning formul includes manageing that very valuable resource better than the competition.

Kaiser Toro
06-09-2006, 01:47 PM
Love the cap talk, but lets see what the results are from the investment before we start yelling the sky is falling.

SESupergenius
06-09-2006, 01:52 PM
The Texans are under the cap, even taking into consideration the rest of the rookie signings. Unless there's someone still on the free agent market they're interested in (who?), I think all the DTs will stick. Maybe a trade could come down if a team loses a DT in the preseason? I think the point is that on March 11th, the Texans weren't considering drafting Mario Williams.
My point was we can't keep that much of cap hit amongst those players that will be doing nothing but riding the pine. We will be paying starter money to nonstarters, that's not good in my book consider we could spend the money to acquire a starter of the players that are still avail or those that might get cut.

infantrycak
06-09-2006, 01:58 PM
My point was we can't keep that much of cap hit amongst those players that will be doing nothing but riding the pine. We will be paying starter money to nonstarters, that's not good in my book consider we could spend the money to acquire a starter of the players that are still avail or those that might get cut.

The problems with that theory are (a) waiving Payne or Robaire is either a negative or almost neutral cap affect and (b) who is available or likely to be available to play a starting role during the remainder of this off-season.

The one thing which could happen IMO is a trade (which is fairly rare) where they suck up their cap hit and we suck up ours and both get a player for their base salaries scrubbed of the responsibility to sign them with a new signing bonus.

Lucky
06-09-2006, 02:11 PM
We will be paying starter money to nonstarters, that's not good in my book consider we could spend the money to acquire a starter of the players that are still avail or those that might get cut.
You're right, it's not good. And others are right in that it's not a disaster. Maybe the Texans kept looking at film and decided that they had to switch gears and take Mario. Maybe. Or maybe the Texans had to look at Williams after deciding that Bush came with too many question marks. Whatever the case was, they have to make the best of it now.

It would have counted as much or more against the cap if the Texans had cut Smith or Payne during the March free agency period than it would to keep them. They could cut one of them now (after June 1st) and save against the cap. But, who's out there to sign? And that DTs dead money would count against the '07 cap and possibly hinder a free agent acquistion next year. That's why I don't see enough of an advantage in releasing Smith or Payne this season.

Vinny
06-09-2006, 02:13 PM
At least we have depth somewhere. I'm not real big on Robaire, but I like Payne. Either way, our interior line will not be a team weakness unless Payne gets hurt, TJ doesn't develop and RoSmith keeps playing inconsistent ball. I think Weaver will be fine at Tackle.

nunusguy
06-09-2006, 02:13 PM
Any thoughts of trading away your cap problems is almost always an excercise in wishful think.

Texas
06-09-2006, 02:16 PM
He will be a good threat pushing through the middle!

whiskeyrbl
06-09-2006, 03:07 PM
I personaly like the move of Weaver to the inside as he is known as a run stopper. I can't count the number of times we got run up the middle on succesfully last year,I just remember it being sickining. The video on all access also says that Mario will move inside on obvious passing downs with Babin moving to DE. I think we will have a dominant front 7, and if PBuch,and Earl play up to potential, we can have a very very tough D. This could be our best year yet.

Lucky
06-09-2006, 03:25 PM
I personaly like the move of Weaver to the inside as he is known as a run stopper.
He's known as a run stopper as a DE. At 280 lbs, Weaver's one of the lightest DTs in the league. If he plays at that weight.

dat_boy_yec
06-09-2006, 07:37 PM
The question I have is what kind of impact does this really have on the line? Typically the LE has to be stout against the run. Does that mean that Williams will be moving to that side or will he remain at RE. Are Babin and Peek going to be able to handle the responsibility that comes with playing that side. I ask this because it makes me wonder if they will be a liability against the run. I favored Mario at RE if Weaver was at LE because Weaver could handle the run and LE's aren't really required to be pass rusher's however with this move..... I just don't know what to think.

edo783
06-09-2006, 08:44 PM
I just don't know what to think.

At this point....I don't think anyone knows what to really think, but let the speculation rain down, it's the off season.

cred
06-10-2006, 09:35 PM
So if Weaver is moving to DT, who will start at the other DE spot? I personally like Peek. Besides you don't necessarly need a "huge" guy to play as DE on the left side, look at the colts, both of their DE's are on the small side if I am not mistaken. But to tell you the truth I just want to have the fromt 4 be aggressive and think "KILL" the QB or who is holding on to the football.:hunter:

wicked_wayz
06-10-2006, 09:41 PM
So if Weaver is moving to DT, who will start at the other DE spot? I personally like Peek. Besides you don't necessarly need a "huge" guy to play as DE on the left side, look at the colts, both of their DE's are on the small side if I am not mistaken. But to tell you the truth I just want to have the fromt 4 be aggressive and think "KILL" the QB or who is holding on to the football.:hunter:

yeah i agree that was one of the main criticism that the defence and especially fagio came across, was that the defence instead of being aggressive (which would suit players like peek) was too much playing "READ N REACT".

TexanFan881
06-10-2006, 11:30 PM

I think Peek gets the spot, but hopefully Babin will put some pressure on him and hopefully he gets some playing time as well. Hopefully they will both benifit from the transition from OLB to DE and both of them will push each other to become better players. Babin, Peek, Mario, and TJ are the future of our DL and it's looking good.

cj5776
06-11-2006, 02:09 AM
Finally a solid thread does not start from some silly rumor from a players friend or deciding who looks fat. I don't really think of Weaver as "moving" to DT, he played a little bit more end than tackle and now he will play a little more tackle than end.

The bottom line is they have 3 vetran DL that are being paid like starters and only 2 will start. 4 first day picks give them 2 starters, 7 total solid linemean. Lots of chess peices to create mismathes.

Weaver was aquired so the Texans can have 2 ends that can play tackle so blitzing lbs can play at the line. Yes the team is putting a lot of money in one area, but only two players were made by this coaching staff. Getting Mario and Williams were very special oppurtunties and really give the team something solid to built around.

wicked_wayz
06-11-2006, 02:28 AM
Finally a solid thread does not start from some silly rumor from a players friend or deciding who looks fat. I don't really think of Weaver as "moving" to DT, he played a little bit more end than tackle and now he will play a little more tackle than end.

The bottom line is they have 3 vetran DL that are being paid like starters and only 2 will start. 4 first day picks give them 2 starters, 7 total solid linemean. Lots of chess peices to creat mismathes.

Weaver was aquired so the Texans can have 2 ends that can play tackle so blitzing lbs can play at the line. Yes the team is putting a lot of money in one area, but only two players were made by this coaching staff. Getting Mario and Williams were very special oppurtunties and really give the team something solid to built around.

mario and williams???????? am i missing something here

cj5776
06-11-2006, 02:35 AM
Signing WEAVER and Williams were two very special oppurtunties that I am glad the team did not pass up. Even if it puts a lot of money in one area, it really gives the team something special to built around.

wicked_wayz
06-11-2006, 02:37 AM
Signing WEAVER and Williams were two very special oppurtunties that I am glad the team did not pass up. Even if it puts a lot of money in one area, it really gives the team something special to built around.

oh thanks that cleared things up for me,

Samer
06-11-2006, 02:40 AM
Don't forget we also have Kalu, who hopefully he can get back into the same form he was in a couple of years ago when he racked up those sacks and definately cause issues....but maybe we could send Robaire Smith and Johnson in some of package deal for a possible starting secondary player, but thats just my opinion

cj5776
06-11-2006, 02:52 AM
Don't forget we also have Kalu, who hopefully he can get back into the same form he was in a couple of years ago when he racked up those sacks and definately cause issues....but maybe we could send Robaire Smith and Johnson in some of package deal for a possible starting secondary player, but thats just my opinion

That would make no sense!!! That would leave the Texans way too thin. Payne and Weaver would be the tackles with Mario playing some inside with backup Malone; Mario would play outside and Weaver sometimes also, and then Babin/Peak would form the other end spot. Not enough parts to maximize mismatches.

Now that both Babin and Peak are ends and not LBs, Kalu probably will not make the team because he does not play the strong side.