PDA

View Full Version : Matt Murphy gone, another Bronco a Texan

Texans34Life
06-09-2006, 06:13 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3953184.html

Baylor ex joins team

The Texans continued to make changes to the roster, releasing tight end Matt Murphy and replacing him with offensive lineman Chris Watton, who played at Baylor and was with the Denver Broncos last season.

Murphy had been trying to make the transition from tight end to tackle this offseason.

"We thought he might have a hard time making our team at tight end, and then all of a sudden we draft two tackles, and we've been very fortunate with some of these free agents we've gotten," coach Gary Kubiak said. "It was going to be a tough transition.

"Had Matt had the ability to go on a practice squad, it might have been a transition he could make. So I wanted to be fair to him. I think he can make somebody's team at tight end as a physical tight end."

CloakNNNdagger
06-09-2006, 07:47 AM
I believe that Watton was a undrafted guard who ended up playing on both sides of the line in the Arena Football League (Colorado Crush) for the past couple of years, after being waived by the Broncos at the beginning of the 2005 NFL season.

AFD1717
06-09-2006, 08:37 AM
I believe that Watton was a undrafted guard who ended up playing on both sides of the line in the Arena Football League (Colorado Crush) for the past couple of years, after being waived by the Broncos at the beginning of the 2005 NFL season.

Once you've played/coached/administrated for Denver, you are a "made" guy for life and are allowed to come to Houston and join the "Family." Ba-da Bing!

nunusguy
06-09-2006, 09:00 AM
Once you've played/coached/administrated for Denver, you are a "made" guy for life and are allowed to come to Houston and join the "Family." Ba-da Bing!
Alright there 17, as a Sopranos fan I like it. That's pretty clever.

Texans Horror
06-09-2006, 09:09 AM
Another former Texan eats it. I expected a changing of the guards, so to speak, but I did not anticipate this many changes. Of course, the return of Joppru (I'm hearing good vibes here) and the addition of Putzier and Owens meant doom for somebody...

Runner
06-09-2006, 09:40 AM
I thought Murphy might have been a good one based on one single piece of evidence - he was benched by Pendry and not allowed to suit up the last couple of games last season. lol

Texans Horror
06-09-2006, 10:27 AM
I wonder if Murphy's fate was sealed by Joppru. What I mean is that after Joppru's constant reinjuries, the Texans stocked up on TEs this offseason. But then Joppru became healthy again. So they had one more TE than anticipated. Somebody had to go, and we already had the other two new additions. Somebody had to go. I hope Murphy gets picked up somewhere.