PDA

View Full Version : FoxSports overview of draft AFC south

Texans86
06-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Here it is, I'm just now reading it, so I'm not sure what all it says.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5666100

Texans86
06-08-2006, 07:06 PM
After reading it now, the bulk of it says that we still should have taken Reggie Bush, or traded #1 for #4 and a fourth rounder. Nothing new really, and doesn't even mention Moulds. Sad really.

TexanFan881
06-08-2006, 07:10 PM
BPA theory doesn't have a problem with the Texans deciding they needed Mario Williams more than they needed Reggie Bush. It does have a problem, however, with the Texans addressing that need with the #1 overall pick. Houston could have slid down a spot or two and still landed their target, and they probably would have found teams interested in moving up for Bush, just not at the rates the trade value chart that every NFL team uses.

We tried! We didn't get any real good offers! :brickwall

If Houston offered to swap picks with the Jets in exchange for a fourth-round pick, they almost certainly would have gotten a deal done. The Texans would have saved significant money, garnered an extra draft choice, and likely still have gotten Mario Williams at four.

That would only happen in a dream scenario. Williams would have been the #2 overall pick to New Orleans. We traded our #13 pick away to move down 3 spots and got a future third rounder. And if we do it when we're at the top of the board we get about the same! What a joke

Houston fans may have been disappointed by the decision to bypass Reggie Bush

Actually, we've gotten over it. The only one's who are disappointed are the ones making it up to create a story :rolleyes:

The Texans added 16 undrafted free agents, focusing mostly on areas of need. With no proven defensive ends, they added four after the draft. The most intriguing may be Middle Tennessee product Devarick Scandrett who has the build if not the production.

I haven't heard anything about him yet. I'd like to know how he's done so far. I think we're already packed at LB.

HomeBred_Texan
06-08-2006, 07:16 PM
What a boat load. I can see it now. We trade with the Jets and take a 4th rounder and New Orleans jumps all over Super Mario and we get D'Brick. Not a bad deal, but not addressing what Kubs and co think we need. I guess some writers have nothing better to do than re-hash old news with What-If's.

Seņor Stan
06-08-2006, 07:35 PM
What a boat load. I can see it now. We trade with the Jets and take a 4th rounder and New Orleans jumps all over Super Mario and we get D'Brick. Not a bad deal, but not addressing what Kubs and co think we need. I guess some writers have nothing better to do than re-hash old news with What-If's.

Trade the # 1 for # 4 and a FOURTH rounder?!?! Insane. My crapometer just busted. I need to get me a new one.

Hervoyel
06-08-2006, 11:23 PM
One of the best written and least informative reviews I've read in a long time. The article was lousy and IMO uninformed.

DocBar
06-09-2006, 01:58 AM
[QUOTE]: The coaching staff made no secret that they strongly preferred Matt Leinart, and the recent trade of Steve McNair means that Young may be thrust into the starting lineup well before he is ready to play. If the team struggles and Jeff Fisher is let go after the season, Young will have to learn his second offensive system in as many years.[QUOTE]
Makes me nervous...Could very well happen and Mike Sherman could very well be the Titans HC and know every strength and weakness on our team.
:stirpot:

Koolaid Time
06-09-2006, 02:18 AM
[QUOTE]: The coaching staff made no secret that they strongly preferred Matt Leinart, and the recent trade of Steve McNair means that Young may be thrust into the starting lineup well before he is ready to play. If the team struggles and Jeff Fisher is let go after the season, Young will have to learn his second offensive system in as many years.[QUOTE]
Makes me nervous...Could very well happen and Mike Sherman could very well be the Titans HC and know every strength and weakness on our team.
:stirpot:

I will feel sorry for Vince if they throw him into the fire right off the bat... But knowing KS "Bud" Adams, they will....

I remember watching Dan Pastorini and Lynn Dickey get wiped out those first couple of years with the Oilers... Dickey with the broken hip....Pastorini with the shoulder and rib injuries...No offensive line... Bill Peterson the Head Coach..

Tragic...

Young doesn't have the luxury of having a Chris Chandler "teach" him the game like Steve did.

This will not be pretty

Malloy
06-09-2006, 02:41 AM
I wonder how Young is taking all of this, considering the fact that he's been very pro-Mcnair all along. He might just have lost his "mentor" incentive to play for the Titans. Nevertheless, this HAS to hurt the general locker room atmosphere.

mexican_texan
06-09-2006, 02:59 AM
Tony Banks can be a mentor to VY.:stirpot:

AFD1717
06-09-2006, 08:32 AM
Isn't Volek still there? He can play for a year or two and give VY some clipboard time. They didn't throw McNair into the fire.

TheOgre
06-09-2006, 08:40 AM
Isn't Volek still there? He can play for a year or two and give VY some clipboard time. They didn't throw McNair into the fire.

That appears to be the plan.

Texans Horror
06-09-2006, 09:01 AM
Rubbish. Every writer in the nation is biased about the Williams draft. They wanted the Texans to take Bush. It is what Houston was supposed to do. When they didn't, everybody called their draft and their offseason a bust. Nevermind all the other aquisitions (complete overhaul of the coaching staff, defensive front seven, improved receiver corps, bolstered line), Houston didn't take Reggie Bush. Let's add something else to the pot, writers...

DocBar
06-09-2006, 10:31 AM
Rubbish. Every writer in the nation is biased about the Williams draft. They wanted the Texans to take Bush. It is what Houston was supposed to do. When they didn't, everybody called their draft and their offseason a bust. Nevermind all the other aquisitions (complete overhaul of the coaching staff, defensive front seven, improved receiver corps, bolstered line), Houston didn't take Reggie Bush. Let's add something else to the pot, writers...
I haven't seen, read or heard one draft"authority" say the Texans had a bust draft. I've heard the exact opposite: Excellent draft if AFTER they picked Williams.

rittenhouserobz
06-09-2006, 10:44 AM
The Texans had a good draft. No nonsense trades and solid legitimate picks that we needed. Thats all that article needed to say. I am just ready to see these guys in action.

U4ikrob
06-09-2006, 11:49 AM
Bad article that added nothing to the news front save another writers opinoin about us not drafting Bush or VY - Yet didnt Kiper and all the draft gurus say we had one of the best drafts afterward?? Top ranks on Kipers board? Boggles the mind at times. Sheesh and I thought we were hard up for news here in Houston. It seems were long past the draft, - into mini-camps and yet still the media wants to rehash our "Apparant mistake" in not going with VY or Bush - yet nobody has done anything on the field so far except run drills.

Honestly I cant wait for the season to start, games to be played, and seeing who was right so we can shut some people up - esp the media. It's one thing to get no news on our team as we have the last 4 years mostly, but to keep this drivel going on 2 months later is just pathetic IMO and unable to look at the bigger picture. Cant wait to see money where the mouthpiece is - if Our staff or the Media putzes who all picked Bush were right.

Funny but - Call me Crazy that I have a hunch were going to see a big turn around for a our team, that Mario, DeMec & crew will be kicking some butt and we see an average RB season for Bush in NO. Then lets see what the media has to say? Oh wait I can here the spin doctors now - Bush didnt have a line, or didnt get enough reps etc... Honestly im predicting a big bandwagon by the Media after mid-season getting on board and saying they knew all along The Texans were right for going with Defense and taking Mario and that they were pushed into the Bush pick. Then we get a heavy rotation with the Talking heads saying how the Texans are the turn-around team of the year and their pet pick for the play-offs.

Seen it happen more than once over the years to other ball clubs...

Texans Horror
06-09-2006, 12:03 PM
I haven't seen, read or heard one draft"authority" say the Texans had a bust draft. I've heard the exact opposite: Excellent draft if AFTER they picked Williams.

Let me be more succinct: When I have read writers opinions of the Texans' draft, the opinion has been: what the hell were they thinking for not drafting Reggie Bush? Little to nothing have I read about writer's opinions of the rest of the Texans draft. All they care about is Williams vs. Bush, and whether Houston wants to recognize it or not, the Texans are still defending the pick.

AFD1717
06-09-2006, 01:21 PM
If you think there is too much being made of this now, wait until Bush gets 27 yards on 11 carries in week one but returns a punt for a TD. Mario doesn't record a sack but stuffs the run and occupies multiple blockers the entire game allowing others to blow up play after play. Bush will be all over Sportscenter and we'll hear about how stupid we are and don't we wish we could have that pick back.

Sportsfan
06-09-2006, 01:53 PM

Thats what i was thinking too. Nobody is saying their draft was a bust, they're just still talking smack about the #1 pick. Some writers have actually applauded the Texans.

bayoudreamn
06-10-2006, 10:43 AM
If you think there is too much being made of this now, wait until Bush gets 27 yards on 11 carries in week one but returns a punt for a TD. Mario doesn't record a sack but stuffs the run and occupies multiple blockers the entire game allowing others to blow up play after play. Bush will be all over Sportscenter and we'll hear about how stupid we are and don't we wish we could have that pick back.

That's wonderful!!!! ....and the next week we can win again, and again, and again........there's something to be said about best kept secrets.