PDA

View Full Version : sounds like Texans not done in Free Agency

BigDTexansFan
06-08-2006, 11:55 AM
got this from article about PB

New general manager Rick Smith was on the sideline for the practice Wednesday, along with most of the Texans' scouts.

"Basically, what we're going to do is Rick is watching these few days," Gary Kubiak said. "We're going to have a big meeting Friday afternoon.

"We're going to sit down as coaches, scouts and everybody, listen to everyone's opinion about where we are as a team and what we need to address this summer before we come to camp. It's an evaluation period.":francis:

El Tejano
06-08-2006, 11:56 AM
I think this means where we will be looking to trade.

mapleleaf
06-08-2006, 01:28 PM
I wouldn't want anymore trades from other teams, it just wouldn't benefit us anymore. We just need to go into the FA, which seems unlikely.

Texian
06-08-2006, 01:32 PM
I wouldn't want anymore trades from other teams, it just wouldn't benefit us anymore. We just need to go into the FA, which seems unlikely.
I think you are being a little presumptuous pre judging trades without seeing what is being offered and what is being gained.

Texans86
06-08-2006, 01:34 PM

Chad Stanley for Thomas Jones, straight up. Any takers?

powerfuldragon
06-08-2006, 01:40 PM
Chad Stanley for Thomas Jones, straight up. Any takers?
Not me.

TexanFan881
06-08-2006, 01:40 PM
I noticed that too watching Rick Smith's interview with NFL Total Access. It makes me excited :redtowel:

NFL Total Access: Obviously, you’re still familiarizing yourself with the Texans, but give us some thoughts on the overall offseason. Let’s talk about the free agency first, Eric Moulds brought in along with Mike Flanagan, Jeb Putzier, who you are obviously familiar with. It seems like that the Texans have done a pretty good job replenishing things in the offseason.

Rick Smith: Well, they’ve done a great job, and we’ve got a good situation here with the free agent acquisitions that we’ve acquired, as well as the draft. I think the Texans had an outstanding draft, so I think we’re a better team already now and I look forward to continuing to bring some talent in here.

NFL Total Access: Hey Rick, can you talk to us about the vision that you have for this football team and about the selection process in terms of how you go about evaluating players?

Rick Smith: Well, I think what’s important is we’ve got to develop a scouting plan, you know, both on the college side as well as the pro side. This is not Denver South, and we’re not going to just implement what we did in Denver. We’re going to take the best things that we did in Denver and take the best things we have here in Houston, and maybe some fresh ideas, and develop that plan and cone that plan, and again educate our people in terms of what we’re lokoing for and sit down with our coaches and find out exactly what they need in order to be successful. Then we’re going to put that together and hit the streets and we’re going to try and find some good players.

BamaTexan
06-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Anybody have a current figure of where we stand?

TexanFan881
06-08-2006, 02:00 PM
try houstonprofootball.com^^^^^^

CloakNNNdagger
06-08-2006, 03:11 PM
Since Smith will not have had the opportunity to show "HIS STUFF" in this past draft, and will not really be "VISIBLE" until the next draft, I feel that there will be every attempt at a major acquisition that he can be associated with prior to the regular season......a "blockbuster" that will carry his name and lend credence and confidence to his selection.

El Tejano
06-08-2006, 03:38 PM
try houstonprofootball.com^^^^^^
Bro,

I love the avatar of Mario since it is clearly Mario but you may want to bring down the shine on it. It looks eerily close to him in an Oiler uniform.

Brandon420tx
06-08-2006, 03:40 PM
Since Smith will not have had the opportunity to show "HIS STUFF" in this past draft, and will not really be "VISIBLE" until the next draft, I feel that there will be every attempt at a major acquisition that he can be associated with prior to the regular season......a "blockbuster" that will carry his name and lend credence and confidence to his selection.
If this is true, and he does do this ... I hope he doesn't try to break the bank or give away too much in order to get that acquisition to get his name on a player for the Texans, if there is no such available player, then don't do it ... please... I just hope he makes smart desicions about personel, besides, he can still have a hand in signing our draft choices that haven't been signed yet ... do we still have any that need to be signed?

santo
06-08-2006, 03:47 PM
If this is true, and he does do this ... I hope he doesn't try to break the bank or give away too much in order to get that acquisition to get his name on a player for the Texans, if there is no such available player, then don't do it ... please... I just hope he makes smart desicions about personel, besides, he can still have a hand in signing our draft choices that haven't been signed yet ... do we still have any that need to be signed?

http://www.ourlads.com/secure/depthchart.cfm?index1=hou

you can check out this link, it tells you which players are left to be signed...

PapaL
06-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Maybe we'll get a second and a third for PBuch and 3 draft picks for Babin....oh wait got those backwards.

TexanFan881
06-08-2006, 05:49 PM
Bro,

I love the avatar of Mario since it is clearly Mario but you may want to bring down the shine on it. It looks eerily close to him in an Oiler uniform.

lol, I would but I have no idea how, I just found the picture over the internet. If someone wants to fix it they can and I'll use it, but I'm still experimenting with some new ones. :cool:

cj5776
06-08-2006, 10:47 PM
I think McNair has the learned the hard way and will be more active in vetoing trades.

Greenwood is the best trade bait, over priced especially if he becomes a reserve. The latter can be said for Todd Wade.

Depth is still needed at possibly FB, QB (Behind Rosenfels), and LB if Greenwood is moved.

The biggest question is do the Texans have TEs that can serve as backup FBs and then does Lundy fit the need of 5th rb/ kick returner

TexanFan881
06-08-2006, 10:54 PM
I think McNair has the learned the hard way and will be more active in vetoing trades.

Greenwood is the best trade bait, over priced especially if he becomes a reserve. The latter can be said for Todd Wade.

Depth is still needed at possibly FB, QB (Behind Rosenfels), and LB if Greenwood is moved.

The biggest question is do the Texans have TEs that can serve as backup FBs and then does Lundy fit the need of 5th rb/ kick returner

Owen Daniels and Patrick Hape (I see him getting cut but as of now he's on the team) can both serve as backup FBs if needed. Lundy would probably be a #4 RB or maybe even #3 RB depending on how Morency is doing, and he is being tried as a kick returner in Mathis' absence.

cj5776
06-08-2006, 11:27 PM
I am just saying there might be a better back out there than Lundy for a 3rd or 4th rb and returner role. Especially using Greenwood as trade bait.

TexanFan881
06-08-2006, 11:35 PM
I am just saying there might be a better back out there than Lundy for a 3rd or 4th rb and returner role. Especially using Greenwood as trade bait.

Your right he's probably not enough, that's why were looking at trading for Michael Bennett. I wouldn't be suprised if Lundy gets kicked onto the practice squad for a year with all of this competition taking place throughout the whole team.

HOOK'EM
06-09-2006, 06:41 AM
........how bout trading Morency?

CloakNNNdagger
06-09-2006, 04:16 PM

The knock in college with Morency was fumblitis. He hasn't carried enough to really prove or disprove his reputation in the NFL.

MorKnolle
06-11-2006, 11:46 PM

Why would we trade a good backup LB/functional starting LB for a 4th RB/KR?

cj5776
06-12-2006, 12:07 AM
Why would we trade a good backup LB/functional starting LB for a 4th RB/KR?
he makes too much to be a backup and Ryans probably will pass him before the end of the season

Samer
06-12-2006, 12:48 AM
Checking out houstonprofootball.com, if im not mistaken we still have about $6 million in cap space...we could either save it and go with what we have and hope to land another free agent next year or we could go after a free agent this year

Hutch13
06-12-2006, 12:56 AM
But who would we get in the free agency pretty sure Ty law wants more than 6 mil.

mexican_texan
06-12-2006, 01:14 AM
But who would we get in the free agency pretty sure Ty law wants more than 6 mil.
Kerry Collins, perhaps.:tease:

TexanFan881
06-12-2006, 10:40 AM
Kerry Collins, perhaps.:tease:

We really don't need to throw more money at the QB position:francis:

Ibar_Harry
06-12-2006, 11:17 AM
Ty Law is in negoiations with NE, but you never know. They are not known for being philanthropic. Perhaps after he looks at them he might drop by Houston. We are a team on the rise and NE is a team on the decline. It seems like most players we want and who visit we get. They really fall in love with the organization when they get here. However, unless they want to be a team player they are not given an offer.

HOOK'EM
06-12-2006, 07:11 PM
Is LaMont Thompson still available? (some DB help):idea:

Erratic Assassin
06-12-2006, 09:32 PM
Maybe we'll get a second and a third for PBuch and 3 draft picks for Babin

Nobody would be that stupid...unless Casserly gets picked up by another NFL team.

HOOK'EM
06-12-2006, 10:02 PM
..........sounds like we will have Bennet before training camp starts.:locked:

bayoudreamn
06-12-2006, 10:18 PM

maybe.....I'm learning to never underestimate Kubes!

cincyTEXAN
06-13-2006, 02:48 AM
i think we should take a look at lance schulters at safety

TK_Gamer
06-13-2006, 03:03 AM
i think we should take a look at lance schulters at safety

I agree, i dont think we need another RB, but schulters would give our secondary some insurance against the deep ball. something we have been lacking since day one. and he can help against the run as well, D-rob is our only decent secondary tackler.

mexican_texan
06-13-2006, 03:06 AM
Don't bet on it. Ross Verba was supposedly going to have a deal done with the Texans by last year's training camp...

TexanFan881
06-13-2006, 07:20 AM
Don't bet on it. Ross Verba was supposedly going to have a deal done with the Texans by last year's training camp...

That was last year. Without Kubes. Without Rick Smith. I'll be one to say it will get done.

El Tejano
06-13-2006, 07:35 AM
What have you heard on this, when and where did you hear about this.