PDA

View Full Version : Hiring Smith Best move of Texans Offseason

The Dude Abides
06-08-2006, 10:42 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jeffri_chadiha/06/07/black.gms/index.html

The best move the Houston Texans made this offseason didn't generate major headlines. It didn't steal the thunder of the team's decision to take defensive end Mario Williams with the first pick in this year's draft. Nor did it overshadow the hiring of former Denver Broncos assistant Gary Kubiak as the second head coach in franchise history. What the decision did do, however, was push the NFL a few steps further down the road of progress. It opened up a couple more doors, extinguished an ample bit of doubt and deserves recognition as a sign of significant progress.

Cont...

powerfuldragon
06-08-2006, 11:40 AM
Rick Smith's race shouldn't be important. His skill as a gm is all that matters to me.

Porky
06-08-2006, 11:54 AM
That's the biggest piece of junk I have ever read. This move should be celebrated not because he is black, but because I and millions of others didn't give a horse's behind if he was green, or as yellow as swiss cheese. All we cared about was that he was the right man for the job. That's the real sign of progress here, not this prima donna attitude that this guy espouses.

El Tejano
06-08-2006, 12:10 PM
You know, now that you mention it, it never occured to me that we hired a black GM. I've been going around just thinking of the good GM we hired. I guess it is cool to bring up the awareness but we should leave it at that because he was hired for his skill.

GP
06-08-2006, 12:13 PM
I am a white male who grew up on a farm. I speak with a thick Texas accent, and I pretty much don't know how to dress well. most high and mighty people (owners of teams) would not hire me because I don't fit the part...even if I was qualified, by the way. I just don't have the pedigree and I don't look like them. It would be hard for me to fit in.

How many white men who grew up on a farm, like me, are GMs of NFL teams?

And by the way, how many Asians are GMs? How many GMs are women? And how many GMs are Hispanic, Russian, Indian, Italian, French, etc?

You know, there was a time when I thought we had somehow made enough "progress" to just call it a day on the race issue. I guess not. Does anyone else get a little ill when anyone of any race stands up and cheers and rah-rahs because "their guy" got the job?

The race issue cuts both ways. I mean, does anyone think Rick Smith was praying that he'd get the job for "his" people? Ir do you think he wanted the job and anticipated or hoped to get the job because GASP! he loves the work, he is a HUMAN and he wants to be successful and be a part of a winning team with a bunch of other people who are caucasian, african-american, and who'd-a-thunk-it: mixed races/ethnicities/nationalities.

The rah-rah stuff for your own people needs to stop. It needs to stop on the white side, the black side, and every in between. It's demeaning to those who do not call any one race or ethnicity "theirs"

Think Tiger Woods. I don't typically like the guy...but he's in a helluva' spot to be in with everyone clamoring for him to tout "their" race or ethnicity. And he's for the most part kept his head straight on it, much to the ire of the media and the race card noise makers. He's just a HUMAN who wants to play golf and play it the best its ever been played.

Long live HUMANS!

The Dude Abides
06-08-2006, 12:15 PM
I agree that this is just another reason why racial inequality exists. I just posted it because it pertained to the Texans, not because I agreed with it.

GP
06-08-2006, 12:22 PM
I agree that this is just another reason why racial inequality exists. I just posted it because it pertained to the Texans, not because I agreed with it.

In no way was a replying to you or any one else here. I was just venting about the guy who wrote the article, and those that he wrote it FOR.

Thanks for posting it because we all need to see that some people, like the guy who wrote the article, aren't letting "progress" happen because they keep tabs on the race issue as if this were Age of Empires computer game where the goal is build your numbers up to an equal level of that held by your enemy.

"I have a dream......."

SESupergenius
06-08-2006, 01:19 PM
It was only our best off season move because we finally go rid of Charlie Cancerly and hired a guy familiar with our head coach. That is the only thing that is black and white.

real
06-08-2006, 01:24 PM
I understand what you are all saying...but as an african american male I will say that our GM being black is plus for me....I have seen racism up close towards me and towards others...and it makes me happy to know that this mans race didn't stop him from getting a job that he was best qualified for...that makes me smile...I have experienced racism first hand from caucasians so when I meet white people who I believe to have genuinely good hearts and don't see you for your race and see you for a human it makes me happy...I just think that some black people may have diff. view points than you all because it is sort of a mile stone or an accomplishment that lets other people know they can do the same...

ledzeppelin229
06-08-2006, 01:26 PM
Would it have been closer to a tie if Kubiak was black?

jerek
06-08-2006, 01:51 PM
As utterly ignorant as this is, I had no idea Rick was black. I hadn't seen a picture of him until now. All I knew about him (admittedly, not a whole hell of a lot) was that he had worked in Denver and was supposed to be a well-qualified candidate who had a good relationship with Kubiak.

Either way, don't really care what color he is. If he does the job well, I hope he retires here, and if not ... well, we'll get to that if and when it comes. It's still a little crazy to me how the process of hiring a GM has to be framed for correctness in terms of benefit to race relations, but hey, here's to hoping his brilliance makes Chuck Casserly a distant memory.

Brandon420tx
06-08-2006, 02:21 PM
As utterly ignorant as this is, I had no idea Rick was black. I hadn't seen a picture of him until now. All I knew about him (admittedly, not a whole hell of a lot) was that he had worked in Denver and was supposed to be a well-qualified candidate who had a good relationship with Kubiak.

Either way, don't really care what color he is. If he does the job well, I hope he retires here, and if not ... well, we'll get to that if and when it comes. It's still a little crazy to me how the process of hiring a GM has to be framed for correctness in terms of benefit to race relations, but hey, here's to hoping his brilliance makes Chuck Casserly a distant memory.

Ditto, now if us Aborigines can get some clout in the NFL there'd be some equality:rolleyes: JK

All I knew about Rick Smith was that he understood what type of players we wanted for our new system(s), thats why I wanted him in Houston.

mapleleaf
06-08-2006, 02:25 PM
I just hope Rick Smith is the kind of GM that could solve all the Texans problems before Training Camp. He seems to be the person who could help us, unlike Casserly, Casserly in my opinion was the reason for our "suckiness", I just hope the same thing doesn't go for this guy.

Texans_Chick
06-08-2006, 02:43 PM
I understand what you are all saying...but as an african american male I will say that our GM being black is plus for me....I have seen racism up close towards me and towards others...and it makes me happy to know that this mans race didn't stop him from getting a job that he was best qualified for...that makes me smile...I have experienced racism first hand from caucasians so when I meet white people who I believe to have genuinely good hearts and don't see you for your race and see you for a human it makes me happy...I just think that some black people may have diff. view points than you all because it is sort of a mile stone or an accomplishment that lets other people know they can do the same...

There is a lot to say about this. It will be a lovely society when it is not newsworthy any more when a person of any race reaches a high level of success.

Role models matter. It is an uncomfortable thing when you are best qualified for a position but at the same time have to acknowledge that you are unique. You can sense that discomfort of Rick Smith in his press conference. He understands his importance in the big scheme of things, but really wants to be recognized for his abilities.

There are people in this world who have once in a while suggested that I have received some things in my life because of affirmative action. Because I try to be a mannered person, I didn't punch them in the mouth and then explain to them how my credentials were better than everyone else's.

It is just weird being a pioneer for your gender or your race or whatever. You want your successes and your failures tied to who you are and not what you represent. But it often doesn't work that way.

My fanblog should have the article that media folk should have been writing about Rick Smith up soon. I am not in charge of publishing stuff on the site, so I am just waiting for it to be up.

Texans_Chick
06-08-2006, 02:48 PM
All I knew about Rick Smith was that he understood what type of players we wanted for our new system(s), thats why I wanted him in Houston.

This is reason one.

Reason two is that he is accustomed to working with Kubiak and his system and so he should have a shorthand in communicating together. This can't be underestimated. He also gives Kubiak a sounding board--they are working toward the same thing and know what each other is looking for but they might see stuff a different way. Kubiak can't be everywhere all at once--the player evaluation side of the equation is something that is nice to be able to delegate and know is being taken care of in the right philosophical way.

How do you create a team identity when the coaches and front office types are still trying to figure out how to work together? That's why in football and in business, it is often best to hire groups of people from one organization to a new organization versus mostly getting pieces and parts from many organizations, even if their resumes are good.

real
06-08-2006, 02:52 PM
yeah...it's like affirmitave action...I hate that we even have to have it, but im happy we do because it gives ppl chances who ordianarily wouldn't have gotten those chances...It's good that more blacks are getting chances, but at the same time it shouldn't have to be an issue...but thats life

hollywood_texan
06-08-2006, 03:16 PM
I didn't know Smith was black until I saw a picture of him and Kubiak standing together observing some drills or something.

My first observation was these guys look sharp besides all the reports of their qualified backgrounds and look way better than the Casserly and Capers (those two looked like they were way in over their heads and couldn't fight threw a wet paper bag).

Actually, what bothers me a little is that my Texans have an Aggie as a head coach. The State of Texas is going down the drain with that one.

What do I know? I am just a long-haird white guy.

Texans_Chick
06-08-2006, 08:56 PM
Fanblog post is up on everything Rick Smith: Link: GM Rick Smith - Welcome to the Texans!
(http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2006/06/gm_rick_smith_welcome_to_the_t_1.html)

I've seen a little what I'm talking about in the entry on the MB, but none of it in the media. I have no idea why.

TwinSisters
06-08-2006, 10:05 PM
Actually, what bothers me a little is that my Texans have an Aggie as a head coach. The State of Texas is going down the drain with that one.

Yes, Sir. What we have here is a horse sized Aggie infestation. Not that there is anything wrong with that. :D

Ibar_Harry
06-08-2006, 11:13 PM
Fanblog post is up on everything Rick Smith: Link: GM Rick Smith - Welcome to the Texans!
(http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2006/06/gm_rick_smith_welcome_to_the_t_1.html)

I've seen a little what I'm talking about in the entry on the MB, but none of it in the media. I have no idea why.

While I agree with a lot of what you said in the blog, I will say I think there is more to it than that. Its how people are fitting together in terms of a team. Smith it appears will fit in very well with everyone else as has Sherman and others. It's not that each of these coaches and staff don't have egos, but rather the egos are not allowed to aggrevate each other. All of the people being employed are upbeat and seem to have an instinct that likes the underdog role. We are kind of like the Rockys of the NFL.

Our board, the web site, ESPN, our local guys are excited over the way this team is coming together and providing an awful lot of infomation and insight. Except for Megan at the Chronicle you don't hear a chirp. Its too bad your blog is relagated to the back pages of the chronicle, but then again I guess that's what they do to all good reporters.

Texans_Chick
06-09-2006, 09:26 AM
Its too bad your blog is relagated to the back pages of the chronicle, but then again I guess that's what they do to all good reporters.

Thanks for the kind words.

But I am NOT a reporter. Reporters report team news.

I'm a fan. I live the news. As fans, you know the difference.

nunusguy
06-09-2006, 09:42 AM
This is a tremendous hire and just one more example as to what kind of a
really outstanding individual we have as our teams leader and owner. Excuse
for being so corny, but it makes me really proud to have Mr. McNair as not only the Texans owner, but one of our own and one of the city's most prominent public citizens. Mr. McNair never got the recognition and credit due
him last year for the very generous and significant monetary contribution he
made for helping the NOLA evacuees.

Hulk75
06-09-2006, 09:46 AM
Thats right! HUMANS!

No color involved here. He was the right MAN for the job.
...........right:highfive:

ledzeppelin229
06-09-2006, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the kind words.

But I am NOT a reporter. Reporters report team news.

I'm a fan. I live the news. As fans, you know the difference.

Personally I'm more of a fan of the amateur-fan-reporting right now than what the "Pros" are being paid to do. Lopez and Justice just churn out some worthless bullcrap that parellels with the publics current thoughts (or their percieved notion)- the Bush/Young flipflopping, all the whining, etc. I also don't detect a true interest in the team from those guys...they might be Astros fans, but I don't get that vibe with the Texans. Atleast with you and aj and some of the posters, I can be sure about a genuine interest and no need for manufactured BS.

TheOgre
06-09-2006, 10:28 AM
That's the biggest piece of junk I have ever read. This move should be celebrated not because he is black, but because I and millions of others didn't give a horse's behind if he was green, or as yellow as swiss cheese. All we cared about was that he was the right man for the job. That's the real sign of progress here, not this prima donna attitude that this guy espouses.

That is the future, and the way things SHOULD be. The problem is that there has been an issue with the hiring of blacks, particularly young ones, in the front offices and, at one point, as head coaches. This is another boundary that appears to have been breached. The next wall to crumble needs to be college football head coaches. Once these positions are no longer taboo, then the focus can return to abilities rather than race. Until then, this is a story.

Brandon420tx
06-09-2006, 03:34 PM
Thats right! HUMANS!

No color involved here. He was the right MAN for the job.
What if McNair had hired a woman? What would you have put then? :) :stirpot:

Texans_Chick
06-09-2006, 03:40 PM
What if McNair had hired a woman? What would you have put then? :) :stirpot:

OMG, the world is coming to an end.

At least that is what my thought would be.

(I think there will be a woman Prez of the US before a woman football GM).

Porky
06-09-2006, 04:56 PM
That is the future, and the way things SHOULD be. The problem is that there has been an issue with the hiring of blacks, particularly young ones, in the front offices and, at one point, as head coaches. This is another boundary that appears to have been breached. The next wall to crumble needs to be college football head coaches. Once these positions are no longer taboo, then the focus can return to abilities rather than race. Until then, this is a story.

No boundry has been breached here. Gimme a break. There are other black GM's in the league. Why isn't there a female GM? And most importantly, why does it matter at all? The best person should get the job, end of story.

jerek
06-09-2006, 05:01 PM
If he hired a woman it would have been Texans_Chick.She knows more about football than Charlie Casserly.:)

Which are we more likely to see first? A female GM or a female coach?

TheOgre
06-09-2006, 06:10 PM
No boundry has been breached here. Gimme a break. There are other black GM's in the league. Why isn't there a female GM? And most importantly, why does it matter at all? The best person should get the job, end of story.

They should hire the most qualified person for the job, but they don't always. The reason this particular hire is important is not just his race, but his age as well. If you look around it still seems to take quality black assistants longer to get a HC job than their white counterparts. White guys with horrible track records have gotten 2nd and 3rd chances (Dan Henning, Joe Buggle, Dennis Erickson, and Pete Carroll come to mind). The only black guys that do are ones that had some form of success (like Dennis Green, Art Shell, Tony Dungy).

The reason this is significant is that it hasn't been done on merits, so it is a good sign when it appears that the field is more even for individuals that haven't been given a "fair handshake".

As for a female GM, good point. It would be great to break that barrier. We would be talking about female sports owners if it wasn't for the fact that Georgia F inherited the Rams. Also, Tom Benson is grooming a female (think it is his niece) to talk over the Saints.

TexansSeminole
06-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Which are we more likely to see first? A female GM or a female coach?

Well, unfortunately, i dont think their will ever be a successful female coach. I do think they're will be a successful female GM though. These players have a hard enough time following a coach as a leader if he has never played the game as a professional. Players like coaches they can relate to. It would be too hard for a football player to relate to a female coach, because she is infact female and has had no direct feel for playing the professional game. Like David Carr said, "Like QBs say, you dont know whats its like unless youve been back there in the pocket".

TexanSam
06-09-2006, 06:35 PM
I knew Rick Smith was black (as well as McKenzie) and I knew he would be one of the few black GM's, but that's not why I thought the Texans should hire him(I actually wanted McKenize, but I'm not disappointed). You hire the best man for the job. Period. If they interviewed three white guys, I wouldn't have cared. I'm a minority, hispanic actually, but I'm not clamoring to see hispanic head coaches. I'm looking for the guy who gives us the best chance to win. I'm sure McNair was also. I hope race never entered the picture.

TK_Gamer
06-10-2006, 12:24 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jeffri_chadiha/06/07/black.gms/index.html

Cont...

I dont know, I kinda think firing capers and hiring kubiak was our best offseason deal. it did by the way effect everything that followed it. just my :twocents:

Double Barrel
06-10-2006, 12:55 AM
When the story first broke about hiring Smith, the only thing in it that caught my eye was his age. Dude is a young GM! More power to him, too.

The race thing will become lesser and lesser of an issue as each generation comes of age. The U.S. is truly a melting pot and we tend to celebrate our diversity and cultures these days, instead of letting them divide us. With globalization and modern media, our children are much more exposed to the world than previous generations.

And there will be women GMs and coaches eventually. Maybe not in our time, but it'll happen. Women are just as capable as men are when negotiating contracts or devising strategy.

Hutch13
06-10-2006, 03:49 AM
What amazed me is how close in age he is with some of the older players like antowain smith and mark bruener

Brandon420tx
06-10-2006, 11:46 AM
When the story first broke about hiring Smith, the only thing in it that caught my eye was his age. Dude is a young GM! More power to him, too.

The race thing will become lesser and lesser of an issue as each generation comes of age. The U.S. is truly a melting pot and we tend to celebrate our diversity and cultures these days, instead of letting them divide us. With globalization and modern media, our children are much more exposed to the world than previous generations.

And there will be women GMs and coaches eventually. Maybe not in our time, but it'll happen. Women are just as capable as men are when negotiating contracts or devising strategy.

Women are better.... :stirpot:

Samer
06-10-2006, 08:09 PM
Hopefully he can do a good job and try to address our needs then I'll accept him

HomeBred_Texan
06-10-2006, 11:30 PM
I can't say that this is our "BEST" move of the off-season. We have made so many of them. Firing Capers was a great start. But to put a finger on just 1 move and call it the best cannot be done yet. It will take a year or 2 to see who cuts the mustard and who is dead weight. IMHO.

Until we hired Rick Smith, I had never heard of him.

TexanFan881
06-11-2006, 12:28 AM
I can't say that this is our "BEST" move of the off-season. We have made so many of them. Firing Capers was a great start. But to put a finger on just 1 move and call it the best cannot be done yet. It will take a year or 2 to see who cuts the mustard and who is dead weight. IMHO.

Until we hired Rick Smith, I had never heard of him.

Rick Smith was an impact acquisition, but not the best of the offseason, you are right. We have brought in a lot of great players, but I think Kubes has done a great job with the moral and confidence he is placing within the players. Players need coaches to fine tune them. Kubes was probably the best move we've made as a franchise. Now too bad we couldn't find him four years ago...:drool:

wicked_wayz
06-11-2006, 02:35 AM
I can't say that this is our "BEST" move of the off-season. We have made so many of them.

agreed to me the best offseason move was hiring KB as head coach.....take into consideration of such transactions as putzier, weaver, coaching staff (big names such as sherman, smith etc) and also the draft picks....it all leads back to KB.

he was by far the best move in the offseason in my view

HARRYJ
06-11-2006, 03:34 PM
Getting rid of Gaffney was your best move! For the eagles anyway. he will light you up on opening day!:yahoo:

The Pencil Neck
06-11-2006, 05:33 PM
Getting rid of Gaffney was your best move! For the eagles anyway. he will light you up on opening day!:yahoo:

Jabar Gaffney will be the second coming of Freddie Mitchell in Philly.

HARRYJ
06-11-2006, 05:42 PM
Ouch! And I thought we were going to be friends.:ok:

HARRYJ
06-12-2006, 11:58 AM
OK, but I would think you would want him to start dropping it the third or forth time on opening day.:homer:

TexansSeminole
06-13-2006, 11:45 PM
About a week ago there was a thread on this board about how it is rediculous that we must look so far into our new GMs face rather than resume. Seth Wickersham adresses this same subject in this insider article. http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=wickersham_seth#20060609

Wharton
06-14-2006, 12:28 AM
I didn't get to read the article because I'm not an Insider, but look at what Rick accomplished in Denver.

- He snagged the defensive line from the Browns, which turned out to be a great move.
- He got Jake when most of the world had given up on him.
- The Ron Dayne move was a steal. Not to mention the endless parade of running backs that always seems to work out for Denver.
- I can't remember his name off the top of my head, but Denver picked up the hard hitting SS from Tampa.

Granted, Rick didn't make all the moves in a vacuum, I'm sure Mr. Shanny had a little input in to these choices. But, you have to think that some of those Shanny smarts rubbed off on him. Plus, Rick went from an assistant coach to assistant GM by age 36. Frankly, Iím impressed.

It seems like racial issues/tensions are a part of Americana, unfortunately its just not as pleasant as baseball and apple pie.

Toro
06-19-2006, 01:06 PM
but im happy we do because it gives ppl chances who ordianarily wouldn't have gotten those chances...It's good that more blacks are getting chances, but at the same time it shouldn't have to be an issue...but thats life

I agree wholeheartedly with the concept of the best man getting the opportunity, and certainly feel that there have been more doors opened for African Americans in the last 10 years than ever before.

What I have issue with and ultimately take offense to as a human being is the fact that everytime someone gets that opportunity, their race is always pointed out. It's almost like folks like Smith and other African Americans who rise to positions of power are immediately typecast as "Black GM" or "Black Head Coach" or "Black Manager". That really does bother me, because frankly we're in an era now where a majority of the society doesn't give a rats ass if you're black, white, green, blue or fuschia, if you're qualified for the job and have the right mindset, the hiring is going to be accepted.

When I look at Tony Dungy, I don't consider him "The Good Black Coach", I consider him a damn good coach, period.. No typecasting.. Same with Willie Randolph in Major League Baseball, Avery Johnson in the NBA and other damn fine coaches who happen to be non-Caucasians.

Sorry to go off on this rant, however wanting your opinion on this matter, does it bother you knowing that almost immediately the new coach or GM is going to be viewed at under almost a completely different radar because of the color of his skin?

TK_Gamer
06-19-2006, 01:25 PM
I think people can and will view him however they decide, I will view him and judge him by how well he improves our personnel

real
06-19-2006, 01:47 PM
Sorry to go off on this rant, however wanting your opinion on this matter, does it bother you knowing that almost immediately the new coach or GM is going to be viewed at under almost a completely different radar because of the color of his skin?

Personally It doesn't bother me...It actually makes me happy...Minorities historically haven't gotten many shots to hold positions of power, So just the fact that he got the job makes me recognize that society is evolving and hopefully for the better...as far as all the hype about his skin color that came with the hiring...that is what it is...of course people are going to talk about it, because it isn't that common...Just like if a woman, or african american were to ever be elected president...IMO, once it becomes more common the "racial hype" will die down....and on another note...If smith does poorly he's not gonna ruin it for all blacks aspiring to be GM's...and the same can be said for him if he does well...

TheOgre
06-19-2006, 04:18 PM
Now too bad we couldn't find him four years ago...:drool:

That was my thought at first. But I think he benefits from not being the expansion coach. It is a difficult task and I am somewhat glad he avoided that and is the "savior" replacement instead.