PDA

View Full Version : SI.com Carr/Texans Article

Keldar
06-08-2006, 09:27 AM
Not much new info, but a good read anyway. I need my fix anyway I can get it.:redtowel:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/michael_silver/06/08/texans/index.html

edo783
06-08-2006, 09:36 AM
Sounds like what should be happening is happening.

Runner
06-08-2006, 09:39 AM
Pretty good read. This little nugget from Carr stood out to me:

I get called out regularly in the team meetings -- and you know what? It's kind of nice.

I had heard that players who had basically gotten a free pass the past couple of years were hearing criticsm for a change when they made mistakes, while others who never heard anything but criticism were acknowledged when they did something well.

I'd think that makes for better results in the long run.

El Tejano
06-08-2006, 10:00 AM
Anyone else notice how we've read how Gary Kubiak likes having people that will stand up for what they believe and not just go with the flow? Then you got this situation where everyone agreed on Carr.

Now if Kubiak's staff is in agreement about Carr that should mean everyone honestly felt that way. I think they kind of hinted towards saying how poorly coached he has been early on in his career.

Once they go on mentioning the talent around us offensively, you start getting the picture around here this year.

Texans Horror
06-08-2006, 10:13 AM
The article talks of bad habits, which is something that just not Carr, but all the returning Texans from the 2005 season, have to abate. The biggest bad habit, of course, is losing (and it is a habit a team can get into), so I am piqued to hear about Carr's boost in confidence. His confidence will affect the team's confidence. If anyone can turn this team around, I think Kubiak and Sherman are the guys to do it.

Cjeremy635
06-08-2006, 10:17 AM
The two best quotes from the article were:

Kubiak:
"We've got to work him out of some of those bad habits he developed as a pro," Kubiak says of Carr. "Already, I've put him through about three camps' worth of intensive instruction, which makes sense, because he had to make the most progress of anyone."

and

Carr:
"This offense is refreshing," Carr says. "It's crisp, and there aren't too many holes in it. It gets the ball out of my hand faster, and it always gives you a way out of every situation. The coaches tell us, 'When we call plays, we're guessing, but don't guess when you go through your reads. There will always be somewhere to go.'"

GP
06-08-2006, 10:53 AM
Perhaps one of the most enjoyable articles to read about our team thus far.

GREAT FIND. Thanks.

wrestler4life
06-08-2006, 11:30 AM
Reading something like this is awesome for this year! But at the same time, it is freakin irritating that for 4 years, it was not at all like this!

edo783
06-08-2006, 11:42 AM
But at the same time, it is freakin irritating that for 4 years, it was not at all like this!

Ain't that the truth!

DocBar
06-08-2006, 12:05 PM
Makes me wonder what McNair was thinking for the last 2 yrs (after it was obvious what our weaknesses were)when we did absolutely nothing to improve the O-line, kept putting Cory "Disappearing Man" Bradford on the field, kept DaShon Polk and other lesser known names on the bench in spite of poor performances by the starters, under Capers.
I also feel that Capers' biggest downfall is his reliance on "name recognition" and veteran free agency to build a team. Worked for him for 2 yrs in Carolina and he thought it would work again. Denver has had a succession of "no name" players come through their system and make huge impacts on both sides of the ball. IMO, under Kubiak, performance will be a major factor in the starting line up as oppossed to "name recognition" and salary. :twocents: