PDA

View Full Version : Babin....Robair.... Williams......... Peek... OMG

thunderkyss
06-07-2006, 06:22 PM
watching Total Access....

They did a little thing about how Kubiak is still high on DD, one of the many reasons we passed on Reggie.

They also mentioned moving Mario Inside on PassingDowns, so Babin can rush the passer from the outside. I'm thinking Peek on the other side....

I know we've talked about this before......... and drooled at the possibilities.

but it's nice to hear......... on TV......... the NFL Network..

TexansSeminole
06-07-2006, 06:29 PM
that is nice to hear, its good to see that the nfl network realizes the POTENTIAL of our Dline.

Double Barrel
06-07-2006, 07:05 PM
Can Williams be as effective on the inside? I've read a bit about the way they'll utilize him, but I can't remember ends like Bruce Smith or Reggie White (two players Mario is often compared to) playing inside.

I've always liked Babin, but I'm very curious to see how he does with the transition back to his natural position. Will he have the moves to get around NFL linemen to put pressure on the pocket? Watching him last year as an LB, he seemed to get stopped at the line quite a bit, IIRC.

And where's Anthony Weaver in that picture? I thought he was a good shot at starting?

LORK 88
06-07-2006, 07:24 PM
Weaver is inside if im not mistaken (possible DE on running plays). I think Babin will have more sucess as a traditional DE, but Id rather keep Mario outside. Switching positions back and forth hinders development (see Thomas Davis) as well.

Texans86
06-07-2006, 07:39 PM
I was watching a special on Reggie White recently and defenses hated him because he lined up everywhere on the line. Everytime the team lined up, they looked for him. I'm not sure if that means he could play DT, but thats what it sounded like to me.

thunderkyss
06-07-2006, 07:51 PM
Can Williams be as effective on the inside? I've read a bit about the way they'll utilize him, but I can't remember ends like Bruce Smith or Reggie White (two players Mario is often compared to) playing inside.

I've always liked Babin, but I'm very curious to see how he does with the transition back to his natural position. Will he have the moves to get around NFL linemen to put pressure on the pocket? Watching him last year as an LB, he seemed to get stopped at the line quite a bit, IIRC.

And where's Anthony Weaver in that picture? I thought he was a good shot at starting?

He only moves to the inside, on definite passing downs..... 3rd and 26. Other than that, Weaver will play mostly on the interior. I suppose......... Our D-Line is going to be something like the Cowboys last year. There wasn't really a starter position.... everybody pretty much played equal time. Just because someone played the first snap of the game, they were called the starter.

Last year, they were being shaped. This year, they'll be refined.... next year, they will be a force.

Double Barrel
06-07-2006, 10:43 PM
yeah, I see what you're saying. Knowing it's a definite pass play gives you the option to pin your ears back and put your fastest players up front.

The mention of Reggie White does ring a bell. I think I remember seeing something about his versatility come to think of it. And it makes sense, if a guy's got the skills to pull it off. It keeps the o-line on their heels and unbalanced, especially if a talent like White is doing it to them.

mexican_texan
06-07-2006, 10:49 PM
yeah, I see what you're saying. Knowing it's a definite pass play gives you the option to pin your ears back and put your fastest players up front.

The mention of Reggie White does ring a bell. I think I remember seeing something about his versatility come to think of it. And it makes sense, if a guy's got the skills to pull it off. It keeps the o-line on their heels and unbalanced, especially if a talent like White is doing it to them.
http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/nfl/2004/1226/photo/white_03.jpg

infantrycak
06-07-2006, 11:12 PM

Reggie White did play both DE and DT at times.

dalemurphy
06-07-2006, 11:44 PM
I think on some 3rd and longs, we will be seeing what will essentially be 5 man lines. Something like a 3rd and 12 with Payne lined up on the nose, Weaver and Mario lined up on the outside shoulder of the guards, and Peek and Babin rushing the edges... various combinations like that are possible, I would think.

texan279
06-08-2006, 01:01 AM
I think on some 3rd and longs, we will be seeing what will essentially be 5 man lines. Something like a 3rd and 12 with Payne lined up on the nose, Weaver and Mario lined up on the outside shoulder of the guards, and Peek and Babin rushing the edges... various combinations like that are possible, I would think.

That would only leave 2-3 DB's in an obvious passing situation unless you drop all of the LB's into coverage. I am thinking we may see a 4-3/3-4 variation like NE uses. Maybe have Payne or Weaver at DT and Mario and Peek/Babin at the DE spots in passing situations.

Texans86
06-08-2006, 01:03 AM

Ouch, that sent shivers down my spine.

TEXANRED
06-08-2006, 08:25 AM
http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/nfl/2004/1226/photo/white_03.jpg

:offtopic
Is that Munchack?

That photo is almost sad. Reggie is dead and the Oilers no longer exist.

Runner
06-08-2006, 08:42 AM
Is that Munchack?

Is that a head slap?

texan279
06-08-2006, 08:46 AM
Is that a head slap?

That is a @#$%^ slap! :tease:

WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear
06-08-2006, 08:49 AM
Its Frank Wycheck.

nunusguy
06-08-2006, 09:29 AM
Is that a head slap?
Head slaps were perfectly legal in the old days, and the ones that popped you
with the open hand over the helmet ear-hole were the best kind. That could
knock you koo-koo for sure. I've often wondered how many guys got concussions as a reslut of being the object of that techique. The forearm shiver was legit, and it could also do some real damage.

jerek
06-08-2006, 09:40 AM
He only moves to the inside, on definite passing downs..... 3rd and 26. Other than that, Weaver will play mostly on the interior. I suppose......... Our D-Line is going to be something like the Cowboys last year. There wasn't really a starter position.... everybody pretty much played equal time. Just because someone played the first snap of the game, they were called the starter.

Last year, they were being shaped. This year, they'll be refined.... next year, they will be a force.

That juist doesn't quite work with me. I share your excitement at the prospect of our defense/pass-rush this year, but I don't know that I see moving Willliams inside (as he is still fast for DE, but more easily doubled inside) for purposes of putting Babin at DE, where he has to come off the line and shed an immediate block. Two years of watching Babin has shown me that he frankly doesn't do a good job shedding direct contact, is better when he can come on the blitz or off the far edge. I see us bringing Babin on the blitz, but I just don't know that I am convinced of his likely success at the DE spot. Athletically, he can make it happen, so I guess I am hoping that our new D and defensive coaching can teach him the necessary moves that he is lacking as of now.

Agreed. I think that is called 4-3 over, or 4-3 under. But, I'm not sure. Whatever.

Runner
06-08-2006, 09:41 AM
Head slaps were perfectly legal in the old days, and the ones that popped you
with the open hand over the helmet ear-hole were the best kind. That could
knock you koo-koo for sure. I've often wondered how many guys got concussions as a reslut of being the object of that techique. The forearm shiver was legit, and it could also do some real damage.

I know they were legal - and the helmets were pretty crappy too.

Double Barrel
06-08-2006, 10:39 AM
Reggie White did play both DE and DT at times.

That must have been more as an Eagle, because I don't remember ever seeing him playing inside in Green Bay. Of course, I didn't get to watch all the game, so what do I know. :cool:

You've got to be an awesome talent, tho', to pull it off. Hopefully Mario possesses those kind of skills, because he could be a defensive terror that enemy offenses have to gameplan around. That's never a bad thing for the hometown team.

I remember Deacon Jones talking about head slaps. He would even put lead bars in his casts back in the day, and use that thing as a weapon against offensive linemen's heads. He thinks he probably leads the league in giving concussions. Kinda' funny if you think about it. I have wonder how many dudes in their 60's are suffering the effects from those constant Deacon Jones love slaps. Dude was a monster in his day. I still wouldn't mess with him today!

Texans_Chick
06-08-2006, 11:52 AM
"Babin....Robair.... Williams......... Peek... OMG"

Peyton Manning's last words.

or

Why the Jaguars should switch to brown pants for their uniforms so that Byron Leftwich has a bit of game time camouflage.

El Tejano
06-08-2006, 11:55 AM

I think this is where you will see the value of our LBs that we have. Reason being is because a guy like Babin or Payne could very well drop back in coverage and now you have a 3-4. For example:

Peek Williams Weaver Babin

Ryans Cowart Greenwood

real
06-08-2006, 11:57 AM
I don't want Payne in coverage...that would suck

the wonger need food
06-08-2006, 12:34 PM
I think this is where you will see the value of our LBs that we have. Reason being is because a guy like Babin or Payne could very well drop back in coverage and now you have a 3-4.

Easy there Coach Fangio. I'm pretty sure we won't be seeing Seth Payne drop back into pass coverage this year unless it's 4th and 30.

thunderkyss
06-08-2006, 02:03 PM
MOre like 4th & 101 to go.......

ensign_lee
06-09-2006, 04:33 AM
I know they were legal - and the helmets were pretty crappy too.

Player: Coach, my helmet looks real dinged up
Coach: Run into the wall with it on. If you come out ok, then your helmet's fine.
Player: uh....

-King of the Hill

;)

hehe.