PDA

View Full Version : The Nails are gone....

Ibar_Harry
06-07-2006, 03:03 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2474286

Some have been asking about this and hear is the answer....

donbmt
06-07-2006, 03:07 PM
If he returns to practice on Friday then he is one tough son-of-a-gun, I had one removed and that was the most unbelievable pain for days.

Double Barrel
06-07-2006, 03:08 PM
OW!! :eek:

That sounds painful. Do they grow back?

I've had an ingrown toenail before, and that was painful enough. I can't even begin to imagine what he's been dealing with.

Runner
06-07-2006, 03:08 PM
Interesting. Some ultra distance runners have their toenails removed permanently. I wonder what this procedure was.

El Tejano
06-07-2006, 03:13 PM
Sounds like it was permanent.

done88
06-07-2006, 03:26 PM
I think they will grow back. The problem is that they ere ingrown and causing infection. Removing them allows them to grow back straight as long as they are cared for properly.

SuperMario
06-07-2006, 03:27 PM
Oww maybe the reason he "took" plays off is because of his toes. Maybe that was his "problem" in college? If that's the case he may be ROY. Look what happened to Yao when he came back from his toe surgery.:mario:
Yao was a beast after the surgery, hopefully Super Mario will have the same outcome.

donbmt
06-07-2006, 03:29 PM
They do grow back.

Ibar_Harry
06-07-2006, 03:33 PM
Where is Mr. Dagger when you need him? I think it depends on the procedure. I believe its possible that they were permanently removed. The article simply doesn't give us an absolute answer.

Runner
06-07-2006, 03:41 PM
I think it depends on the procedure.

Correct.

http://www.pbase.com/lbliss/toenail_removal_recovery

powerfuldragon
06-07-2006, 03:43 PM
the thought of removing cuticles always makes me cringe.

Ibar_Harry
06-07-2006, 04:08 PM
Correct.

http://www.pbase.com/lbliss/toenail_removal_recovery

There was a young man in the gold country camping next to us who was going to have this surgery done and they were talking about a month of bed time for a complete removal on both toes. I'm not so certain as to the kind of outcome to expect from these procedures. The web site seemed to indicate problems might persist. I worry about what they did and the time required for Mario to heal. The length of time they are talking about almost sounds like it was not a complete removal.

Runner
06-07-2006, 04:15 PM
There was a young man in the gold country camping next to us who was going to have this surgery done and they were talking about a month of bed time for a complete removal on both toes. I'm not so certain as to the kind of outcome to expect from these procedures. The web site seemed to indicate problems might persist. I worry about what they did and the time required for Mario to heal. The length of time they are talking about almost sounds like it was not a complete removal.

I'm not going to guess which procedure Williams had done.

I know that the runners who do it are usually the crazies who live to run races of 50 to 100 miles or more. I have seen runners who constantly have black toe nails, toe nails that are turning black, or toe nails that have fallen off and are growing back. These chronic problems are what are usually cured by total removal.

Corrosion
06-07-2006, 04:26 PM
:ouch: OW!! :eek:

That sounds painful. Do they grow back?

I've had an ingrown toenail before, and that was painful enough. I can't even begin to imagine what he's been dealing with.

It IS painful and Yes they grow back .... but it takes a while for them to regain their thickness . I had one RIPPED from by big toe when i was about 12 .... I had someone open a door while i was standing on the other side and my foot went under the door .... Toe nail ripped completely away . That was 26 years ago and I can still remember the pain like it was yesterday . :ouch:

Double Barrel
06-07-2006, 04:42 PM
^ I'm wincing just reading your story, corrosion!

Man, good luck to a quick recovery for our boy Mario! At least he's got good insurance, 'eh?

TexanFan881
06-07-2006, 04:46 PM
At least he's got good insurance, 'eh?

It's called a 54 million dollar contract :) :crutch:

gwallaia
06-07-2006, 04:49 PM
Donbmt, get your brother's comments about this and report back to the message board.

hot pickle
06-07-2006, 05:11 PM
when i was a kid, i got my fingernail slamed in a door, and my nail fell off, and i can remember the pain like it was yesterday as well, its something that you really hope will never happen again

cuppacoffee
06-07-2006, 05:22 PM
My wife is 61 and had her right toe nail completely removed. It isn't supposed to grow back. She stayed off her feet as much as possible for about a week. Back running the malls in about a month.

I cringe just thinking about a needle in the toe.

:coffee:

titan hater
06-07-2006, 05:37 PM
Guys, I am getting a little sick with all your war stories...please get me a bucket!!!! It has got too hurt!!!

FILO_girl
06-07-2006, 05:39 PM
Doc had a toe nail removed about 9 years ago. Didn't hurt him for the first few days...then the shot wore off. Wasn't pleasant for him AT ALL for nearly 3 weeks. Nail was supposed to be gone forever, but it came back.

FILOMAN had one done about 4 years ago and needs it done again. He refuses and lives with the pain and drainage (yuck!). He said the shot hurt worse than the procedure for him. Yikes!

If Mario goes back this week after having this done....that is one tough S O B that I wouldn't want to meet up with on the wrong side of the ball!

texansfaninla
06-07-2006, 05:47 PM
Not a way to get off on the right foot...

Seriously - doesn't this make the Texans even more laughed at nationally for passing on Reggie Bush? Just seems bad - The guy they passed on Bush for had to have his big toenails removed just a month into the gig. Shouldn't someone have done a complete head-to-toe (literally) health check before making the pick?

Don't hate on my take - I am sure these points will be brought up again by some commentators over the next couple days and maybe into the season too.

done88
06-07-2006, 05:54 PM

Seriously - doesn't this make the Texans even more laughed at nationally for passing on Reggie Bush? Just seems bad - The guy they passed on Bush for had to have his big toenails removed just a month into the gig. Shouldn't someone have done a complete head-to-toe (literally) health check before making the pick?

Don't hate on my take - I am sure these points will be brought up again by some commentators over the next couple days and maybe into the season too.
Bush has had Hamstring problems since showing up. Every player tries to show up in the best shap they can but you can not prepare for the NFL until you get there. These little injuries sre things the players would play through the season however in the offseason they can address them correctly.
Any scout that passes on a player they believe will make a hugh impact on theie team, because the player had a few bad toe nails would be an idiot.

nunusguy
06-07-2006, 05:59 PM
I cringe just thinking about a needle in the toe.

Doesn't sound near as bad as when your friendly Dentist numbs you up.
But a real bummer would be what Deadwood's Al had to go thru with the
needle-like device for his kidney stones.

infantrycak
06-07-2006, 06:03 PM

Dude--you need to go work for one of the political parties with that ability to spin off onto a pre-conceived notion.

Brandon420tx
06-07-2006, 06:13 PM

I love how people are taking both minor injuries to these young players and screaming "BUST!" and "MISTAKE!"... :homer:

bayoudreamn
06-07-2006, 07:03 PM

RB had an injury this summer as well. Looks like their careers are off to siamese beginning.

TexansSeminole
06-07-2006, 07:27 PM
About 4 years ago, after dealing with chronic ingrown toenails throughout my young sports career, i had a surgery done where the part of my toenail on both my big toes was cut and qtips were shoved into my toe. I have not had any problem ever since and even now as i look at them, they are as strait as when i had them cut. He will be fine, probably even better after this surgery...smart move.

Texas
06-07-2006, 07:49 PM
Ouch! haha a big man like that out because of a toe nail...It sounds funny when u think about it!

Double Barrel
06-07-2006, 07:53 PM
I love how people are taking both minor injuries to these young players and screaming "BUST!" and "MISTAKE!"... :homer:

yeah, imagine that, we drafted human beings. :superman:

Just about every football player is going to suffer from some kind of injury at some point. I think Mario is being smart about it and getting it taken care of early, so he won't be hindered by his toes during the season.

Not everyone can be Steve McNair and play through a dozen different injuries. Heck, even McNair is probably having a tough time doing it these days at his age.

Hulk75
06-07-2006, 08:04 PM
From ESPN.........Mario getting Toe nails removed............Think it will make him FASTER...........
Loooooooooong offseason just finding stuff to keep us on our "TOES".:crying:

No. 1 pick Williams has toenails removed from big toesAssociated Press

HOUSTON -- Houston Texans No. 1 draft pick Mario Williams will be sidelined for the rest of the week after having the toenails on both of his big toes removed.

Williams, a 6-foot-7, 292-pound defensive end, had the procedure done on Monday after struggling with infections because of problems with his toenails.

Houston has been going through organized team workouts for the past month and had their first day of minicamp on Wednesday.

"They were bothering him throughout the camp," said Texans coach Gary Kubiak. "So instead of trying to fight it, they removed them. We're giving him a few days off to make sure it heals properly."

Kubiak said Williams would probably return to practice on Friday.

"We just didn't want it to be a problem when we got to the summer so we took care of it now," Kubiak said.

tex2theend
06-07-2006, 08:13 PM
I had the same procedure when I was playing football in college. I remember blood coming through the perforations in my cleats during a game. Mine were terrible. I got the procedure done and was good for game time the following Saturday. Best surgery I ever had. Mario will be better than ever after.

CloakNNNdagger
06-07-2006, 08:34 PM
Where is Mr. Dagger when you need him? I think it depends on the procedure. I believe its possible that they were permanently removed. The article simply doesn't give us an absolute answer.

If you have a chronic draining infection of the toenail after conservative treatment of ingrown toenails, ie. partial nail excision, the next step is to consider removing the entire nail plate. If there is continued infection or deformity of the nail plate when it regrows (in about3 months), then permanent removal which entails removal of the nail plate WITH removal of the cuticle area is also perfomed. It is this basilar cuticle area that is the regrowth center of the nail plate. Therefore, if done properly the nail plate will not regrow.

It is preferable to have a protective nail plate cover to minimize trauma to an area that has such little top padding. The postoperative discomfort of the top of the healing unprotected toe can be substantial and last for months. If the nail plate is permanently obliterated, the lack of padding, if not well compensated for with special foot wear protection can lead to chronic recurrent trauma and pain. Keep in mind that the potential type of continued trauma for a runner is minimal compared to that which a DE may be exposed to.

Bottom line, an unattended draining chronically infected ingrown toenail can lead to spreading problems and morbidly increasing pains. The above treatments may be uncomfortable, but can be compensated to allow a productive football career............Mario will be FINE.

Sportsfan
06-07-2006, 09:06 PM
I had one of my nails removed on my left big toe. They were both pretty ingrown after 20+ yrs of soccer.
Its not a big deal, in most cases its permanent, they shoot the nail bed w/a laser and it kills the cells so that the nail won't grow back.
My toe was sore for a couple days but i was back at the gym doing toe raises for calves in about 5 days.
Nothing to worry about w/Mario.

CloakNNNdagger
06-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Mario's condition seems not to have been ingrown toenails. Rather fractured and fragmented nail plates from the trauma of offensive linemen repeatedly stepping on his toes. These moving pieces of nail evidently caused repeated lacerations and chronic infection of the underlying nail beds. Removal in these cases usually do not involve the permanent removal of the nail plate...........One way or the other, again, Mario will be FINE.

ledzeppelin229
06-07-2006, 10:47 PM
Just to throw in my own story..when I was 10 or so I was standing too close to the plate at the batting cages, and had my thumbnail area smashed between the ball and the bat. Needless to say it was not an enjoyable feeling..fortunately nothing was broken though. Half the thumbnail turned blue and fell off but other than that regrew like normal.

Kaiser Toro
06-07-2006, 10:55 PM

Weak.

BigTimeTexanFan
06-07-2006, 11:05 PM
We must be bored if we're talking about toenails!:francis:

JAXwithanX
06-07-2006, 11:11 PM
Whats odd is two weeks ago i was playing basketball and planted my foot hard....and you know when you like can feel the bed of your nail pull from the nail itself some and it hurts pretty bad. For instance, if you put both hands together and pulled downward on your fingertips with one hand. Well yeah i did that but i felt it go all the way through my big toe, sure enough took off sock and shoe after the game and my nail was just laying on a pool of blood underneath....had to do the heat up a needle and push it through the nail trick to relieve the pressure of the blood and everything. Nail came off a couple of days later. Anyways, the point is that by far the worst part of the experience was when i actually ripped the nail away from bed. It falling off and growing back hasnt been a thing, played basketball yesterday as a matter of fact. I'm sure Mario will take more than the week and a half i took off to make sure the nail starts growing back straight, but i'm sure he will be fine.

ledzeppelin229
06-07-2006, 11:13 PM
Whats odd is two weeks ago i was playing basketball and planted my foot hard....and you know when you like can feel the bed of your nail pull from the nail itself some and it hurts pretty bad. For instance, if you put both hands together and pulled downward on your fingertips with one hand. Well yeah i did that but i felt it go all the way through my big toe, sure enough took off sock and shoe after the game and my nail was just laying on a pool of blood underneath....had to do the heat up a needle and push it through the nail trick to relieve the pressure of the blood and everything. Nail came off a couple of days later. Anyways, the point is that by far the worst part of the experience was when i actually ripped the nail away from bed. It falling off and growing back hasnt been a thing, played basketball yesterday as a matter of fact. I'm sure Mario will take more than the week and a half i took off to make sure the nail starts growing back straight, but i'm sure he will be fine.

I remember a teacher in HS that ran cross country had to do the needle thing. He told our class about how he had a blister at the back of his nail and had to run a needle underneath it to pop the blister and relieve the pressure since he was about to run in the meet. Sounded pretty nasty.

JAXwithanX
06-07-2006, 11:25 PM
Yeah its not as bad as you think....you just gotta have a steady hand to stop as soon as you feel it hit the bed. But its worth it....once the pressure of the nail was gone everything was fine, I mean don't get me wrong when the nail came off its basically just raw skin underneath for a while waiting for the nail. But its nothing someone wouldn't be able to play through, especially with the trainers and equipment they have for players. During TC there is no point in risking the nail growing in wrong from playing on it while it is trying to grow back....but if the same thing happens during the season....it shouldn't be sometihng that necessarily will effect his play. Between pain killers and some sort of local anesthetic and he should be fine considering its not like the loss of a nail makes your foot weaker, slower, or less mobile. Just painful.

Cjeremy635
06-08-2006, 09:22 AM
About 6 years ago I had my thumb slammed in a door going to one of the control rooms at work. It was a metal door with a metal casing. Needless to say, the door closed enough where I had to kick it open to get my finger out of there. My thumb swole up to about 2 1/2 times it's normal size, I thought I had broken it. Anyways, I tried to widdle a hole in fingernail with my pocket knife but it didn't releive the pressure when I got to the meat. That night when I went to sleep every time my thumb hit something in the middle of the night it woke me up. The next day I went to the local family doc and he heated up a tack looking thing and stuck it straight through my nail. There was no shot for numbing...I didn't care anymore. When that tack went through my nail, the blood shot out of there with some serious pressure. Within a few days my thumbnail fell off and I went deer hunting. Good times.......good times. :hunter:

Mr. White
06-08-2006, 10:07 AM
Jacked up toenails are a family curse of mine. I've had 2 toenail surgeries.

1. The first one when I was at USMC boot camp. It was barbaric. The actual surgery was agonizing. Partial removal that grew back ingrown. I was on light duty for a couple of days and a sore toe for a few days.

2. It grew back ingrown about 9 mos. later. I went to a civilian doc who used a laser to seal off that part of the nail. I think I missed one day of work. It was just a little sore afterwards. It looks kinda odd nowadays, but it hasn't grown back.

You wouldn't believe how big and jagged the piece was that they took out. Furthermore, you wouldn't believe how much pain that it can cause before surgery.

I'm pretty sure that Mario can afford a doc better than a Navy Corpsman. The recovery is real minor. Mario should be at full speed by Monday with no problems.

Double Barrel
06-08-2006, 11:35 AM
Man, this thread is giving me the heebie-jeebies! Enough with your stories already! ;) j/k!

Texans Horror
06-08-2006, 02:31 PM
As long as we are talking nasty injuries, I used this in another thread (not in the bullpen). Just a reminder of how painful/ugly football can look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSySFNv9xNE&search=mcgahee

Snapple
06-08-2006, 06:18 PM
Mario is hardcore. Maybe it's not on the same level as Ronnie Lott, but he's taken the first step towards getting on my good side.