PDA

View Full Version : Moulds teaching A. Johnson some new tricks

Texian
06-07-2006, 09:51 AM
Moulds teaching A. Johnson some new tricks
Wed, 7 Jun 2006 06:14:29 -0700

Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Houston Texans WR Eric Moulds is trying to teach WR Andre Johnson some of the things he's learned through his 10 NFL seasons. WR Jerry Rice used to show up at Mississippi State when Moulds was playing there and Moulds watched and listened to everything he did and said. Moulds said, "I learned a long time ago from Jerry Rice that the harder you work in the offseason, the easier it'll be in the season. That's what I'm trying to teach Andre. The harder you work now, it'll be a cakewalk when the season starts. If you keep yourself in shape, you can play as long as you want." Johnson has embraced Moulds' plan and has been following him around throughout the offseason's practices, learning whatever he can from the veteran receiver.

done88
06-07-2006, 09:53 AM
This is good stuff next week maybe they will tell us the coachs are trying to teach the players the things they know.

TheOgre
06-07-2006, 09:55 AM
This is good stuff next week maybe they will tell us the coachs are trying to teach the players the things they know.

Moulds is about 10 years older than the Shanahan (receiver's coach). I wonder who is learning from whom?

Cjeremy635
06-07-2006, 09:57 AM
Nice find Texian. :ok:

TexansSeminole
06-07-2006, 10:06 AM
Moulds is about 10 years older than the Shanahan (receiver's coach). I wonder who is learning from whom?

Probably both learning from each other.

Blake
06-07-2006, 10:06 AM
I am excited for our air game. Hopefully we will be able to utilize our players this year.

Dre_80
06-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Johnson, 25, has been the Texans' No. 1 receiver...
...said Johnson, who turns 26 next month...
:listening

Dre is 24 and will turn 25 on July the 11th.

beerlover
06-07-2006, 11:11 AM
much respect for a player like Moulds to recognize & take ownership of Andre this way, many teams would be envious of the situation, even more should be worried :hides:

Double Barrel
06-07-2006, 12:11 PM
This is good to hear. If AJ could have just a percentage of Jerry Rice's work ethic and dedication, he'll be a top 5 WR in the NFL, IMO. He's got the skills and physical ability, and he just needs to refine them while dedicating his mental outlook towards trying to be the best.

I don't want to anticipate too much, but man, I can't help but get stoked with some of these stories.

Ibar_Harry
06-07-2006, 03:20 PM
From the same Megan article:

"He's as important as any player we've brought in since I've been here," quarterback David Carr said.

I have been saying people have no idea of what that one trade means to this ball club. Moulds totally transforms our offense into a defensive nightmare. It is not just because of his individual ability, but how that ability fits in with the rest of the team. The guy is a possession receiver and a 3 time all-pro. He knows how to play the game and AJ, Walters, and every other receiver on this ball club are going to be a whole lot better because of his presence. Remember, this is a disciple of Jerry Rice. He knows how to catch, how to run routes, what do after the catch, and how to train and stay in shape. You could not have asked for a better match for a young ball club with a young receivers coach. It appears to be a match made in heaven at this point.

bayoudreamn
06-07-2006, 07:47 PM

"He's as important as any player we've brought in since I've been here," quarterback David Carr said.

I have been saying people have no idea of what that one trade means to this ball club. Moulds totally transforms our offense into a defensive nightmare. It is not just because of his individual ability, but how that ability fits in with the rest of the team. The guy is a possession receiver and a 3 time all-pro. He knows how to play the game and AJ, Walters, and every other receiver on this ball club are going to be a whole lot better because of his presence. Remember, this is a disciple of Jerry Rice. He knows how to catch, how to run routes, what do after the catch, and how to train and stay in shape. You could not have asked for a better match for a young ball club with a young receivers coach. It appears to be a match made in heaven at this point.

Last season, all our hopes lay on comments like "we've got some stuff ready for them (the bills)" before the season started, even though we saw a team in preseason that looked like it didn't have a clue.

This year we have a hierarchy of advice from Rice-to-Moulds-to-AJ, a coach with a pedigree, and a GM that sounds like the PR guru of corporate america. Something seems soooo right!

Texas
06-07-2006, 07:48 PM
Another awesome reason for drafting moulds...This could really help AJ to be mentored by receivers like this.

Koolaid Time
06-07-2006, 11:22 PM

He knows how to catch, how to run routes, what do after the catch, and how to train and stay in shape. You could not have asked for a better match for a young ball club with a young receivers coach. It appears to be a match made in heaven at this point.

Sounds great... Now only if the Quarterback had enough time to throw him the ball before said QB was decapitated, smashed, spindled, and mutilated....

Ibar_Harry
06-08-2006, 01:39 AM
Sounds great... Now only if the Quarterback had enough time to throw him the ball before said QB was decapitated, smashed, spindled, and mutilated....

Other teams are not going to tee off on us like they have in the past. You can not afford to do that with what we will be showing. If our O-line only gives Carr .5 to 1 sec longer, which I think is a big possibility, he's going to find people open because of the improved route running. In addition our WR's can block and that's going to make it real interesting. Our WR's are big and are going to play like extemely fast and agile TE's. We will be a very different ball club.:drool:

texan279
06-08-2006, 01:53 AM
Other teams are not going to tee off on us like they have in the past. You can not afford to do that with what we will be showing. If our O-line only gives Carr .5 to 1 sec longer, which I think is a big possibility, he's going to find people open because of the improved route running. In addition our WR's can block and that's going to make it real interesting. Our WR's are big and are going to play like extemely fast and agile TE's. We will be a very different ball club.:drool:

Also we now have a receiving TE in Putzier and if Joppru can stay healthy we will have at least 3 solid TE's, maybe even 4 in Daniels, Putzier, Joppru, and Bruener.

Brandon420tx
06-08-2006, 01:30 PM

Well, one of the biggest problems with the pass rush last year was the fact that it was so unbelievably easy to cover our "Weapons", when you know that the team will only pass quick short routes while keeping 3 extra people to block (Max Protect) thats easy to defend against and you can send the house after the QB. Also last year when AJ and DD were injured many teams barely had to cover anybody, Gaffney averaged around 6.33 catches a game, 58.66 yards a game, and .33 touchdowns a game, in 3 games as our #1 receiver. *I'm using stats from another thread* and opposing defenses knew we could only audible into a run, so they pretty much had to defend the run, and the short pass, then bring the house, not that hard. If you notice we had one long ball "Carr to Mathis" last year and that shook up the opposing defense for a few plays until we went back to our previous philosophy of max protect and short routes...

edo783
06-08-2006, 03:47 PM
If you notice we had one long ball "Carr to Mathis" last year and that shook up the opposing defense for a few plays until we went back to our previous philosophy of max protect and short routes...

Yup, it was pretty much that way all year. "Well that worked....got to stop doing that". Dumb, Dumb, Dumb and oh by the way it was DUMB.