PDA

View Full Version : Unsecured Texans Playbooks....6/3/06

Koolaid Time
06-07-2006, 01:24 AM
I sent Coach Gary a fax about it.....
I sent Owner Bob a certified letter about it.....

But I didn't get any response from them....

Maybe this will do the trick......

Last Saturday's Houston Texans "All Access" was very appropriately named...

Last Saturday, in my walking tour through the Texans Locker Room, I spotted black plastic-covered loose leaf binders, full of paper, approximately 3 inches thick, sitting on the open and unsecured shelves of at least six Texan players’ cubicles.

While I didn’t take them off the shelf and look through them, these loose leaf binders looked like Texans Playbooks.....

What else could they have been?

I sent Gary and Bob a letter listing the cubicles with the unsecured binders..

With the mass of people going through there, and total lack of security, someone could have easily walked off with one of those binders..

Just what we need, someone with an advance look at the new gameplan...

Players who are this sloppy with sensitive team documents deserve to be heavily fined or suspended. You can't cut them, because arguably speaking, any other team would be better....

TexanSam
06-07-2006, 01:29 AM
Maybe the Texans left them there on purpose hoping somebody would snatch them up. But the catch is that those were all fake plays! Sneaky Kubes...

Or, some of the players are dumb.

I prefer the 1st version.

Koolaid Time
06-07-2006, 01:45 AM
[QUOTE=TexanSam]Maybe the Texans left them there on purpose hoping somebody would snatch them up. But the catch is that those were all fake plays! Sneaky Kubes...

Or, some of the players are dumb.

Hey, during the 1960's didn't Papa Bear George Halas fine a Chicago player $1000.00 for losing a playbook? That was chunk of change back then...

what would the fine be now? :whip:

Vinny
06-07-2006, 02:26 AM
Hey, during the 1960's didn't Papa Bear George Halas fine a Chicago player $1000.00 for losing a playbook? That was chunk of change back then...

what would the fine be now? :whip:Just ask Antwan Peek

ensign_lee
06-07-2006, 03:18 AM
How did you mail something to Bob McNair?

YoungTexanFan
06-07-2006, 08:09 AM
Just ask Antwan Peek

Then, ask him about his Escalade.

real
06-07-2006, 09:12 AM
If you didn't look inside them, then they could've been anything...they could've been work out plans...or they could've just been notebooks for meetings...at this point I think it's just speculation

Runner
06-07-2006, 09:17 AM
If you didn't look inside them, then they could've been anything...they could've been work out plans...or they could've just been notebooks for meetings...at this point I think it's just speculation

What is this, the voice of reason? :)

Next somebody is going to suggest that they probably had a coach or two with the responsibility of making sure the locker room was secure before allowing the public in, so there was probably nothing to worry about.

real
06-07-2006, 09:21 AM
What is this, the voice of reason? :)

Next somebody is going to suggest that they probably had a coach or two with the responsibility of making sure the locker room was secure before allowing the public in, so there was probably nothing to worry about.

Exactly...I would like to hope that the Texans have more sense than to leave playbooks around while a tour is going on....

done88
06-07-2006, 09:49 AM
I saw that also. It looked like most of the play books were defense. I'm not sure if the Texans had fake books up there to create the look of a real locker room or if they were really the play books. However if there is an issue it should be with security. The one place a play book is safe is in the locker room. It is an unwritten rule that what is in the locker room stays in the locker room. The players need somewhere that they can put their valuables and feel that those valuables are safe. The locker room is just that. There is nothing more valuable then their playbooks and those playbooks should always be safe in the locker room. I felt a little uncomfortable watching people go through players lockers and sit in players lockers. In college if someone was caught in a players locker they were hung on the wall by their underwear. This is the players personal space. It is ok to look but to actually sit in their chair and go through their stuff was disrespectful. There should have been security saying look and take pictures but don't touch anything.

Bear
06-07-2006, 11:00 AM
MWUAHAHAHAHAHA!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HBear/playbook.jpg

But being the true fan that I am, I resisted the tempation to take it and put it up on Ebay :redtowel:

Edited to add and clarify: I did take a peek and it was, in fact, a LEGIT playbook.

Runner
06-07-2006, 11:06 AM
MWUAHAHAHAHAHA!

But being the true fan that I am, I resisted the tempation to take it and put it up on Ebay :redtowel:

Edited to add and clarify: I did take a peek and it was, in fact, a LEGIT playbook.

Excellent!

I still doubt the team was worried about it or they wouldn't have been there.

infantrycak
06-07-2006, 11:39 AM
There was a report earlier this off-season that Carr was so anxious to get to work learning the new system that he pestered Troy Calhoun into giving him the Denver playbook. Not sure the teams actually regard these as top secret as fans think.

Double Barrel
06-07-2006, 12:07 PM
Wow....I am flabbergasted that there were actual playbooks in the locker room during the tour. And we didn't even notice them!!

They've got to be fakes. With as much secrecy as teams are about playbooks, I just can't imagine that there would be that many Texans under the new Kubiak regime that would leave out team secrets for public access.

rockabilly
06-07-2006, 12:33 PM
That playbook is mister Jameel Cook's I see...

real
06-07-2006, 12:55 PM
Well maybe they aren't that worried about it because they probably aren't going to run alot of they plays that they have thus far...There are still alot of people on the team that won't make the cut so they probably won't have a final playbook till preseason...just a guess

kra-z Texan
06-07-2006, 01:16 PM
How the Hell do you memerize something like that. I would be confusing plays and forgettin wher to run.:crying:

TEXANRED
06-07-2006, 01:20 PM
Madden would give top dollar for that playbook. Could you imagine trying to scroll through all those plays?

Vinny
06-07-2006, 01:23 PM
The playbook is so large and teams run such redundant stuff...it doesn't matter. Its the game plan that you have to protect.

Hulk75
06-07-2006, 01:25 PM
The playbook is so large and teams run such redundant stuff...it doesn't matter. Its the game plan that you have to protect.
That is VERY TRUE!!!!!!

Koolaid Time
06-07-2006, 01:36 PM

Still with a pilfered playbook you can adjust the defense to certain formations.. its easy to show tendecies with certain players on the field running out of a specific formation.

Those guys leaving the playbooks out should be spanked.

HomeBred_Texan
06-07-2006, 02:11 PM
There are several ways to look at this. I tend to look at it like this...

The "all-access" was limited to Texan's Season Ticket Holders only. Not to SF scouts or others. If a true blue Texan's Fan was to steal that, he would be hung for sure. I see no harm in leaving those out. 99.9% of us wouldn't know how to read em anyhow.

SnakeOilTanker
06-07-2006, 02:13 PM
The idea that playbooks are holy is funny.

You can see what a team runs by watching video's and things of that nature.

I coach in Friendswood and we have a Urban Meyer eraUtah playbook complete with all the verbage and everything.

No we didn't steal it. lol

Still, It's not something you want getting out.

Hulk75
06-07-2006, 02:14 PM

The "all-access" was limited to Texan's Season Ticket Holders only. Not to SF scouts or others. If a true blue Texan's Fan was to steal that, he would be hung for sure. I see no harm in leaving those out. 99.9% of us wouldn't know how to read em anyhow.
Right..............And if someone would have gotten a hold of it he would have the city of Houston looking for him.

Vinny
06-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Still with a pilfered playbook you can adjust the defense to certain formations.. its easy to show tendecies with certain players on the field running out of a specific formation.

Those guys leaving the playbooks out should be spanked.All teams know what other teams run....there are no secrets. The secrets are in how you attack the weakness of your opponent in a weekly game-plan. You can only do so much with your people and teams run the same techniques over and over and over. The only thing unique are the weekly game plans.

Hulk75
06-07-2006, 02:16 PM
All teams know what other teams run....there are no secrets. The secrets are in how you attack the weakness of your opponent in a weekly game-plan. You can only do so much with your people and teams run the same techniques over and over and over. The only thing unique are the weekly game plans.
:spy: HMMMMM

Double Barrel
06-07-2006, 02:18 PM

So funny that teams fine players for losing them. Yeah, hilarious. ;)

Good point about the game plans, Vinny. This playbook was probably generic, considering how many of those players won't make the team. But it's the actual week-to-week plans that are really top secret.

And if anyone did try to walk away with the book, I don't think even the Reliant security folks would let you get too far. It's not like you could just hide it in your shirt or something.

hollywood_texan
06-07-2006, 02:25 PM
This isn't that big of a deal.

I am sure an opposing defensive coordinator would prefer to watch hours of actual game film studying tendancies and performance than looking through that playbook.

The only problem I see is that one (maybe two) play(s) that you have never run could be in there and someone could see it, thus eliminating surprise if they can realize that one play and then prepare for it.

Unlikely though, because they are going to get more value out of watching game film than trying to figure out that one play or so that may or may not be called by the offense. It just isn't worth it.

You wouldn't want this stuff out there, but it isn't the end of the world because all game film is supplied to every team.

jerek
06-07-2006, 02:36 PM
All teams know what other teams run....there are no secrets. The secrets are in how you attack the weakness of your opponent in a weekly game-plan. You can only do so much with your people and teams run the same techniques over and over and over. The only thing unique are the weekly game plans.

Was going to say this but will piggyback instead. The playbook isn't really anything that isn't already visible on the tapes any way. Besides, the playbook as it stands now will likely undergo a lot of refinement before season rolls around. Careless? Maybe. But hardly the big deal some are making it out to be.

66cobra
06-07-2006, 04:03 PM
actually, there is a website (I can't think of it at the moment) that shows you different playbooks for some college teams so it is true that some are not as top secret as some think... (I will come back and post it when I find it)

edit: I couldn't find it, but I am a member of a coaching website (theoldcoach.com) and I first saw a thread on it and it had a link. I went to it and they had several playbooks on there and one of them, I remember, was a Utah playbook when Urban Meyer was there. When I saw this thread, it was about 6 months ago.

bayoudreamn
06-07-2006, 07:33 PM
MWUAHAHAHAHAHA!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HBear/playbook.jpg

Didn't Kubiak say in one of his first interviews that the playbooks were the same as Denver , "just a darker shade of blue?" If the color he used was accurate.....that one ain't it.

MorKnolle
06-07-2006, 07:38 PM

You can see what a team runs by watching video's and things of that nature.

I coach in Friendswood and we have a Urban Meyer eraUtah playbook complete with all the verbage and everything.

No we didn't steal it. lol

Still, It's not something you want getting out.

Exactly, the OTA playbooks the players have now are likely a small fraction of what the final playbook will look like, and once we get thru the preseason and a couple weeks of the regular season any team can see 95% of what we run by watching game tape. The real skill lies in gameplanning, how you call the plays and the personnel you use in them, etc. At the risk of sounding like Dom Capers, the main component of success is how well you execute your plays and gameplan.

PapaL
06-07-2006, 08:18 PM
The other team can have the playbook, its about execution. You execute every play, it doesnt matter if they know its coming.

Brandon420tx
06-07-2006, 09:07 PM
The other team can have the playbook, its about execution. You execute every play, it doesnt matter if they know its coming.

He said "it" that evil evil word! :shoot: I dare not type it for re-occurring memories.

Bob_A
06-07-2006, 09:13 PM
Here is another one. Playbooks are not as sacred as we sometimes imagine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/commishbob/dautabook.jpg

Revolution
06-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Well, just how exactly do you think anyone would have hidden that playbook to steal it?

Koolaid Time
06-07-2006, 10:55 PM
Well, just how exactly do you think anyone would have hidden that playbook to steal it?

Well, I saw lots of people walking through the Locker Room with plastic sacks full of Texans jerseys, hats, T shirts etc that they purchased at the gift shops....

Those sacks have plenty of room to hold a Playbook...

And if someone could open up a Playbook and look inside without interference from "staff" in the Locker Room...how much harder could it be to walk off with one??

75% of the Texans' problem is the players lack the proper attitude. Many players seem like they don't really care if the team wins or loses, as long as they get their pay check.

"Attention to Detail" and discipline need to be reinforced. Being careless with a playbook is just another example of a problem that needs to be resolved NOW.

Being sloppy with a Playbook may not be a "Big Deal" to some, but it shows me that some players don't really give a "hoot"....

The "I don't give a flip" attitude of some Texan players cannot be tolerated.

Note to "Bob"...---I AM SICK AND TIRED OF "SUBSIDIZING LOSING". I CAN SPEND MY MONEY IN BETTER WAYS......

Players who don't take things seriously need to change their ways or hit the street.. and they can file all the NFLPA complaints they want. They can find a job in NFL Europe or Arena Football...

Otherwise get used to 2-14, 4-12, etc.... The Texans will be the "Detroit" of the AFC...

JAXwithanX
06-07-2006, 11:19 PM
I'll have a chat with Bob tomorrow on the golf course, see if we can't get to the bottom of this. Maybe George W will help me reprimand him.

Koolaid Time
06-07-2006, 11:29 PM
I'll have a chat with Bob tomorrow on the golf course, see if we can't get to the bottom of this. Maybe George W will help me reprimand him.

Here's a possible solution...Texans players that violate team rules don't get fined, suspended, or cut....they get sent to Fallujah, Ramadi, or some other place in Al Anbar province for six months...

KBR is hiring and they pay ALMOST as good as the Texans

TEXANS84
06-07-2006, 11:35 PM
Playbook, smaybook.

I was personally more concerned about ND Kalu using a white shower poof:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/TEXANS84/P1010463.jpg

Koolaid Time
06-07-2006, 11:39 PM
Playbook, smaybook.

At least it isn't a Bill O'Reilly loofa......

AFD1717
06-07-2006, 11:46 PM
Playbook, smaybook.

He went to Rice. That's how they roll.

Koolaid Time
06-07-2006, 11:51 PM
He went to Rice. That's how they roll.

Would Ken Hatfield have tolerated someone on his football team owning a "Shower Poof"????

I don't think so....

Señor Stan
06-07-2006, 11:57 PM
Would Ken Hatfield have tolerated someone on his football team owning a "Shower Poof"????

I don't think so....

I have to think someone was clowning Kalu.

If not he needs to have his man card revoked.

JAXwithanX
06-08-2006, 12:50 AM
I have to think someone was clowning Kalu.

If not he needs to have his man card revoked.

No way man, those shower poofs clean bodies better than 'The Wolf'. But on second thought, even though i hate the word, i feel more comfortable saying those shower 'loofa's' clean your body good.

playoff year please
06-08-2006, 08:31 AM

I would think Texans fans would respect each other also, but that didn't happen with all the line cutting for sigs. These people would probably steal a playbook also.

On another note, on NFL Total Access last night, one of the guys asked the other if Baltimore had shown McNair their playbook already and the guy said something like..no way, the playbook is too important to allow it to slip out.

Runner
06-08-2006, 08:41 AM
the playbook is too important to allow it to slip out.

So what do they do, brainwash a guy like Ragone so he doesn't take his quarterback level understanding of the playbook with him?

Here is my favorite playbook picture:

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=15946&highlight=oxygen

real
06-08-2006, 10:18 AM
So what do they do, brainwash a guy like Ragone so he doesn't take his quarterback level understanding of the playbook with him?

i doubt that we will be running the same stuff we ran when ragone was here...:rolleyes:

Runner
06-08-2006, 10:19 AM
i doubt that we will be running the same stuff we ran when ragone was here...:rolleyes:

He had the same playbook that you see in the locker photos.

Bearfan Blue and Orange
06-08-2006, 11:10 AM
If you look closely at the book. it is the 2006 Texans OTA Playbook. This book is filled with all plays they want to try to see if they work with their scheme and players they have practicing. this will not be the final playbook they cut it down to for the season. No need to worry.

real
06-08-2006, 12:53 PM

How do you know ?

PapaL
06-08-2006, 12:58 PM

And you see how well that worked out for him, lol. 0 playing time, not on the team anymore.

Runner
06-08-2006, 01:17 PM
How do you know ?

He was on the team when the playbook was handed out.

And you see how well that worked out for him, lol. 0 playing time, not on the team anymore.

???

powerfuldragon
06-08-2006, 01:23 PM
Like vinny said, Playbooks don't matter so much. It's the gameplan that does.

Runner
06-08-2006, 01:34 PM
Here's a picture of Ragone at OTAs. I'm just assuming he was allowed to see the plays before they started.

http://www.texansbullpen.com/06photogallery/Preseason/2006-05-18-PlayerPractice/Photos/DSC_0168.JPG

powerfuldragon
06-08-2006, 01:36 PM
who's baker?

nvm, found him on our roster. rookie qb from North Carolina.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster_detail.php?PRKey=220&section=TH%20Players

real
06-08-2006, 01:40 PM
He was on the team when the playbook was handed out.

Yep u.r right....I didn't realize that....Im pretty sure that other teams pretty much know what plays a team runs from watching all the film...but the only thing that I think Can hurt the texans if someone else got a hold of there play book is the terminology used in it... because if a team learns your terminology they know what you are calling...

Runner
06-08-2006, 01:52 PM
Yep u.r right....I didn't realize that....Im pretty sure that other teams pretty much know what plays a team runs from watching all the film...but the only thing that I think Can hurt the texans if someone else got a hold of there play book is the terminology used in it... because if a team learns your terminology they know what you are calling...

Cool - I was wondering why you asked the question in the first place. I guess it's out of sight out of mind with some players; Ragone hasn't been gone that long.

Koolaid Time
06-09-2006, 02:08 AM
I would think Texans fans would respect each other also, but that didn't happen with all the line cutting for sigs. These people would probably steal a playbook also.

On another note, on NFL Total Access last night, one of the guys asked the other if Baltimore had shown McNair their playbook already and the guy said something like..no way, the playbook is too important to allow it to slip out.

Did McNair finally learn how to READ a playbook?

Malloy
06-09-2006, 02:27 AM
He said "it" that evil evil word! :shoot: I dare not type it for re-occurring memories.

EXECUTE!! :)

HA, it'll keep you awake tonight :)

Malloy
06-09-2006, 02:32 AM

Here is my favorite playbook picture:

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=15946&highlight=oxygen

That picture continues to give me the chills.

Revolution
06-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Well, I saw lots of people walking through the Locker Room with plastic sacks full of Texans jerseys, hats, T shirts etc that they purchased at the gift shops....

Those sacks have plenty of room to hold a Playbook...

And if someone could open up a Playbook and look inside without interference from "staff" in the Locker Room...how much harder could it be to walk off with one??

Well considering the weight of the book, it couldn't be held by the plastic bags you are speaking about.

This is another thread that makes you think...Can the real season please get here??!! :redtowel:

HARRYJ
06-11-2006, 04:03 PM
Well considering the weight of the book, it couldn't be held by the plastic bags you are speaking about.

This is another thread that makes you think...Can the real season please get here??!! :redtowel:

Please.