PDA

View Full Version : New Offensive system vs. Carr's offense @ Fresno St

Sportsfan
06-05-2006, 09:56 AM
So whats the difference in these 2 systems?(besides the obvious- college v. pro)
And how will Carr's skills translate into this new system?

From what i remember, in college Carr was a great drop-back passer but with this new system in place, there isn't a lot of 'dropping back- read the D then pass'. I could be wrong though. I played football in HS but i'm not super knowledgeable w/the technical side of the NFL as some of you.
So i'm just curious how Carr will have to adjust on a technical level into this new system.

Discuss....

YoungTexanFan
06-05-2006, 10:32 AM
So whats the difference in these 2 systems?(besides the obvious- college v. pro)

From what i remember, in college Carr was a great drop-back passer but with this new system in place, there isn't a lot of 'dropping back- read the D then pass'. I could be wrong though. I played football in HS but i'm not super knowledgeable w/the technical side of the NFL as some of you.
So i'm just curious how Carr will have to adjust on a technical level into this new system.

Discuss....

Carr Played in an open offense. It was similar to a zone read, but not quite. Denver runs more of a zone read running game with a lot of short to intermediate passing routes, especially to the TE and FB/RB.

Ibar_Harry
06-05-2006, 10:37 AM
Carr Played in an open offense. It was similar to a zone read, but not quite. Denver runs more of a zone read running game with a lot of short to intermediate passing routes, especially to the TE and FB/RB.

This is what intrigues me, because we have 3 big WR's. Are they going to use them like TE's? Why pick up what we did if you are not going to use them? I keep saying that Kubiak has his own ideas and don't be surprised if he surprises you with what he does. He has been quoted as saying you have to adapt to your players strengths. I think its going to be a very interesting year.

infantrycak
06-05-2006, 10:56 AM
This is what intrigues me, because we have 3 big WR's. Are they going to use them like TE's? Why pick up what we did if you are not going to use them? I keep saying that Kubiak has his own ideas and don't be surprised if he surprises you with what he does. He has been quoted as saying you have to adapt to your players strengths. I think its going to be a very interesting year.

TE's have accounted for 22% of the Broncos receptions over each of the last two years. The WR's will get plenty of balls their way.

fastpitchwoof
06-05-2006, 10:56 AM

I agree. The Denver offense was not the same with Elway as it was with Greisie (heck I don't know how to spell it) and Plummer. It changed to adapt to the QB. Now the running game basically stayed the same and they picked up backs to fit that system.

As for the recievers, when McCafrey (spelling again) and Smith were together they looked a lot like Johnson and Moulds as far as size goes with Moulds being more athletic. I am going to give Kubiak a chance to form his own offense and see where it goes. Who knows, In a few years we could be talking about the Gulf Coast Offense as opposed to the West Coast Offense.

:taz:

AUSTexan
06-05-2006, 11:26 AM

Well... I'll be interested to see how this matches us up against Indy's DB's, since they're tiny, assuming that we have time to throw the ball this year. I don't remember where I read it, but I recently read an article on Indy that talked about that being one of their -few- possible weaknesses...

El Tejano
06-05-2006, 12:05 PM
Who knows, In a few years we could be talking about the Gulf Coast Offense as opposed to the West Coast Offense.

:taz:
Oh I like that!!!! I really really like that!!!!!

SESupergenius
06-05-2006, 12:14 PM
Carr will be going up against a 4-3 Cover2 a lot in practice, something we were horrible at in gaining any success against. I don't know how many teams we will face this season against a 4-3 cover 2, but we certainly should be better prepared.

El Tejano
06-05-2006, 12:28 PM
Well if the short stuff is what it gives him. He has proven to be able to make those throws, it's just that now it will be a TE instead of DD.

I remembered a play that I saw while watching the AFC championship game that I liked. It was a play action to the right and Plummer rolls back to the left and finds a TE that didn't go with the flow of the offensive line at the LOS. He hits the TE and the TE basically makes 8 yards on that one play.

Lucky
06-05-2006, 02:56 PM
I don't know how many teams we will face this season against a 4-3 cover 2, but we certainly should be better prepared.
While many teams deploy the cover 2 at times, the only team I see on the schedule that could be described as a cover 2 defense is Indianapolis. On the other hand, the Texans play 6 games against teams that use the 3-4 or the 3-4 hybrid defense. Figures.

CoastalTexan
06-05-2006, 03:21 PM
I've heard of the "Gulf Coast Offense" before but what exactly is it?

Texans86
06-05-2006, 03:36 PM
I've heard of the "Gulf Coast Offense" before but what exacly is it?

Currently, take a step and get sacked.

powerfuldragon
06-05-2006, 03:39 PM
Currently, take a step and get sacked.

Also, focus in on only one reciever.

YoungTexanFan
06-05-2006, 05:02 PM
we could be talking about the Gulf Coast Offense

I belive you have just coined a phrase. Congrats.

Wharton
06-05-2006, 05:16 PM
Alot of teams are going to larger linemen. Suprisingly, larger linemen are better for traditional pass blocking, while smaller, quicker linemen are better for run blocking.

U4ikrob
06-05-2006, 05:59 PM
Another vote for the GCO!!! - Nice phrase - I think it will stick if we do well enough and start competing.

Well it is kind of hard to see more than one receiver when your lying on your backside... :crutch:

I still wonder about this at times as I saw David in games make his reads, but time and again always have to go to the dump off man because everyone was covered up or the play was moving the wrong way. I also recall a quote from a recent article saying DC was having to make more reads than just about any other QB in the NFL. hmmm :stirpot:

Ibar_Harry
06-05-2006, 06:57 PM

That's all you can do when you only have one receiver.

Hulk75
06-05-2006, 08:10 PM

Discuss....
There is the Broncos Offense that Elway ran and then the one Jake Plummer ran, that was more scrambling, Carr CAN run, he had a line in college so he did not have to.

Watch old games of Elway when Shanahan was there that is the kind of Offense that they will impliment. If I am Kubiak I am HAPPY I have a Strong Arm QB that can scramble and does not make bad choices with the football.

marroncito
06-06-2006, 06:33 AM
I remembered a play that I saw while watching the AFC championship game that I liked. It was a play action to the right and Plummer rolls back to the left and finds a TE that didn't go with the flow of the offensive line at the LOS. He hits the TE and the TE basically makes 8 yards on that one play.
Atlanta runs this play all the time with Vick. It's a kind of QB Waggle. It's slightly dangerous if the backside DE stays home rather than chase the play because they usually read the QBs naked rollout and chase him down.