PDA

View Full Version : Who will be our starting linebackers?

baba ganoush
06-04-2006, 11:03 PM
DeMeco Ryans is he a strong or weakside linebacker?
Morlon Greenwood OLB
Shantee Orr in the middle, fighting with a job over Sam Cowart

Brandon420tx
06-04-2006, 11:04 PM
DeMeco Ryans is he a strong or weakside linebacker?
Morlon Greenwood OLB
Shantee Orr in the middle, fighting with a job over Sam Cowart
Orr in the middle? :ok: have anything to back this up tho? I'm curious.

BuffSoldier
06-04-2006, 11:29 PM
From what Ive heard, Ryans will play either OLB position, but I have read that he is smart enough to play all LB positions, and at some point it college he played each. I would really like to see him at MLB with Greenwood at the weakside OLB and Wong fighting it out with Orr for the strongside.

jparrish
06-04-2006, 11:59 PM
Cowart was part of the Jets linebacking corps when they were very highly ranked a couple years ago. I think he'll put up a fight for our MLB spot.

HeartofHouston
06-05-2006, 12:17 AM
Weakside:
Greenwood

Middle:
Cowart

Strongside:
Ryans

Trapped
06-05-2006, 12:28 AM
I would like to see

StrongSide OLB - Shante Orr
MLB - Demeco Ryans
Weakside OLB - Morlon Greenwood

TK_Gamer
06-05-2006, 01:29 AM
I have no doubt they picked up cowart to be the LB leader and help along Ryans till he can take the middle as a starter. Rainer prolly insurance backup. outside I'm guessing Orr and Greenwood, with Babin or Peek filling in on occasion. I wouldnt be surprised to see us pick up another Linebacker when they are able to make a decision on Wong. we could use a decent cover LB on the outside for RB's and TE's

LORK 88
06-05-2006, 03:09 AM
I would like to see

StrongSide OLB - Shante Orr
MLB - Demeco Ryans
Weakside OLB - Morlon Greenwood

You and Buff are right on the money. No way we get rid and bench Orr who was one of our only LBs to actually play hard all the time, and no way we keep Ryans on the bench. He's got the smarts, and can make plays.

LORK 88
06-05-2006, 03:14 AM
]']I think is is the plan also. I think we went into the draft weak at MLB and we got Ryans to start at that position.

Anybody got an update on Terry Peirce? I heard he can be starting material that got stuck behind Trevor Pryce in Denver...... he was after all Kube's first move as a Texans HC....

He MUST like the dude....
Do you mean Al Wilson? Trevor Pryce was their massive DE . . .

wicked_wayz
06-05-2006, 04:47 AM
Wolb = Greenwood/orr
Mlb = Cowart/dymeco
Solb= Dymeco/orr

amazingandre
06-05-2006, 06:55 PM
MLB i think should be greenwood he has enough speed and vision lpus a little more experience in nfl than ryans

strong side bakcer id like to see Ryans he will adapt quiker to eventually become a mlb and will start to gain success i think.

weakside should be wong no doubt. i really like the guy dont know why though lol o well i hope he puts manning on his back at least twice each GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yahoo:

MorKnolle
06-05-2006, 07:00 PM
DeMeco Ryans is best suited for a WLB, then MLB, then SLB

I think the starters will likely be like this at the beginning of the year:
SLB - Shantee Orr
MLB - Sam Cowart
WLB - Morlon Greenwood

Ryans will get a significant amount of playing time, and I think he will probably be in the majority of the time on nickel formations, probably with Cowart or maybe Greenwood.

Wali Rainer and/or Terry Pierce will also make the team and play a decent amount, Wong will be on PUP to start the year, and Charlie Anderson or Kenneth Pettway will make the final roster.

JAXwithanX
06-05-2006, 07:09 PM
Cowart will be starting at least the first few games at MLB. Demeco will be at the weakside, with Orr and Greenwood switching up the strong side. Cowart is still a good MLB and far more proven than any of our LB's, no matter how much we liked the way Orr played.

Scottyboy
06-05-2006, 08:07 PM
All three slots are UP for grabs! Wong still hasnt been released, and he could be anywhere. I have Cowart Starting right now Mike, but left and right theres no telling!! :spy:

beerlover
06-05-2006, 08:31 PM
I heard reports earlier today that Wong is way ahead of his recovery schedule, feeling great and should be in the mix come regular season. He will be the first X factor (injury angle) which has always seemed to rear its ugly head for the Texans. The difference being is that this year as a group, regardless of who plays where? the Texans have a much more talented & experienced group of quality NFL capable linebackers.

AFD1717
06-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Is anyone else concerned about how Shante Orr will perform in a 4-3? I don't know what system he played in in college, but it is clear that his strength is rushing the passer. Is he a long term option for us? If not, we may be able to get something for a 24 year old guy with 7 sacks last year.

Ole Miss Texan
06-06-2006, 12:05 AM
I went to that Texans deal on Saturday at Reliant. Coach Kubes spoke at the very end and pretty much said that Cowart will be starting in the middle, not sure about the outside guys. Mario got a standing ovation when introduced and seems like an extremely humble guy.

CMoak1982
06-06-2006, 12:50 AM
Orr was a defensive end at michigan, hence the pass rush ability, but I think with the tenacity he shows he could become a good weakside linebacker where he really rushes the passer, the only problem with that is Greenwood, and Ryans, play there as well. Ryans can play any of them, Greenwood took Seau's place at strongside when he was hurt so there is flexibility there but I would still say without picking up some coverage ability Orr is on the 2nd team.

BigTimeTexanFan
06-06-2006, 12:58 AM
I can definately see us taking linebackers on the first day in the next few drafts

Brandon420tx
06-06-2006, 12:59 AM
I can definately see us taking linebackers on the first day in the next few drafts
I want a CB first day of next years draft, even if P-buc performs to the raised expectations this year, at least we'll have a possible fresh nickel back, or someone P-buc will have serious competition with.

JAXwithanX
06-06-2006, 01:03 AM
I went to that Texans deal on Saturday at Reliant. Coach Kubes spoke at the very end and pretty much said that Cowart will be starting in the middle, not sure about the outside guys. Mario got a standing ovation when introduced and seems like an extremely humble guy.

Like i figured. Ryans will win that weak spot in camp. Greenwood will fill in at the strong side with Orr coming in on the pass downs.

cj5776
06-06-2006, 02:31 AM
]']he was after all Kube's first move as a Texans HC....

He MUST like the dude....
Although Pierce was a second round pick of the Broncos, if you check the dates he was signed to the texans before Kubes came along. He might give Rainer a run for his money for the back up MLB.

Ryans might be a MLB canidate down the road but he a whole lot of work to do in the wieght room. Kubes has said many times he was drafted to add depth to the outside positions. Considering the best OLBs beside Greenwood are better suited for the strong side Orr, Wong, and Anderson, I see Ryans on the weakside.

I really like the thought of Ryans and Orr coming off the bench for the nickel package. Ryans adds range and Orr adds presure!

wicked_wayz
06-06-2006, 05:09 AM

nah i disagree with that mainly because we have enough talent at LB already, depending on how earl and CC plays out this year, our seconday are the main focus for next years draft.

wicked_wayz
06-06-2006, 05:17 AM
Like i figured. Ryans will win that weak spot in camp. Greenwood will fill in at the strong side with Orr coming in on the pass downs.

don't forget that KB said that they will, not as much as 4-3 formation but also utilise the 3-4 scheme, in that case we will probably see all four of them at one time (orr, dymecco,cowart, greenwood) which would be a QB and the O line's worst nightmare trying to figure out which one of them is the extra pass rusher :francis:

just for comparison - texans (orr, dymecco, cowart, greenwood) and steelers - (porter, farrior, haggans, foote)

Texas
06-06-2006, 04:01 PM
Orr was cut :(

powerfuldragon
06-06-2006, 04:04 PM
Orr was cut :(
No way. when?

Texas
06-06-2006, 04:06 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=2401

powerfuldragon
06-06-2006, 04:09 PM
:D You fool, look at the day that thread was started... Or read the rest of the thread.

Texas
06-06-2006, 04:15 PM
LOL thank you ! It scared me :(

powerfuldragon
06-06-2006, 04:15 PM
LOL thank you ! It scared me :(
Hahahaha. you weren't the only one.

TexanFan881
06-06-2006, 04:23 PM
Hahahaha. you weren't the only one.

It got me. I hate when people pop up old threads like that to scare us. In retrospect though it's a good thing we got him back.

TexanSam
06-06-2006, 04:33 PM
Ryans, Cowart, and Orr. Yeah, Greenwood was statistically our best LB last year, but I was very impressed with Shantee Orr. He was one of the few bright spots from last year, IMO.

TexanFan881
06-06-2006, 04:42 PM
Our starting linebackers will be the best 3 LBs at the respective positions so whoever it is that's cool :cool: Hopefully all the canidates (Wong, Cowart, Greenwood, Ryans, Orr) they are all solid starting material and they all get a lot of playing time this year and they play good. I love competition! Go Gary :redtowel: Without him it would be obvious who the starters will be (only having Wong, Greenwood, and Orr).