PDA

View Full Version : Rick Smith Hired As Texans GM

Revolution
06-04-2006, 02:12 PM
Texans Hire Rick Smith (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3925794.html)

What do you think?

Denver assistant general manager Rick Smith has accepted the job as the Texans' general manager and will be introduced at a press conference on Monday.
Smith, 36, replaces Charley Casserly, who spent 6 1/2 years as general manager before resigning last month to pursue a position with the NFL office in New York.

Owner Bob McNair has hired Smith over Green Bay director of pro personnel Reggie McKenzie and New Orleans director of player personnel Rick Mueller. Smith joins the Texans after 10 seasons with the Broncos.

The Texans refused to confirm Smith's hiring on Sunday. Vice president of communications Tony Wyllie said an announcement will be made "at the appropriate time."

Smith, the only candidate the Texans brought in for two interviews, spent his first four years as an assistant coach at Denver and the last six years as the Broncos' director of pro personnel. In March, he was promoted to assistant general manager when the Atlanta Falcons tried to hire him.

Smith is being reunited with his good friend, Gary Kubiak, the Texans' new coach. The two worked together closely in Denver, where Kubiak was the Broncos' offensive coordinator for 11 years before coming to Houston in January to replace Dom Capers.

The Texans have hired Smith with two weeks of practices remaining. Kubiak said at the beginning of the search process that he hoped the Texans would be able to hire the new general manager in time for the two mini-camps so he would have an opportunity to become familiar with the players.

The Texans have two more days of "organized team activities" on Monday and Tuesday. They will then start their first three-day mini-camp Wednesday Their second three-day mini-camp starts next Monday. The team will then take a break until training camp begins at the end of July.

As Casserly did before he officially departed last week, Smith will work closely with Kubiak. Smith will be in charge of the draft and oversee the personnel department. Dan Ferens, the vice president of football administration, handles contract negotiations and the salary cap.

hot pickle
06-04-2006, 02:16 PM
being on the 2007 Draft, lol, im just playin, its still way to early to bring that up

mancunian
06-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Good - glad thay have made a decision. I was worried that they might drag their heals but getting the right man is important. I think its a good move.
He has a good relationship with Kubiak and I think that was an important factor.

Trap_Star
06-04-2006, 02:27 PM
Good - glad thay have made a decision. I was worried that they might drag their heals but getting the right man is important. I think its a good move.
He has a good relationship with Kubiak and I think that was an important factor.

I agree...The new Texans Era has officially started.....

TexansMVP
06-04-2006, 02:28 PM
Nice pickup. We really are starting to look like the Houston Broncos.

mancunian
06-04-2006, 02:31 PM

Its probably a good job we never became the Houston Stallions could you imagine the fun the fun they would have had with that one.:rolleyes:

Jimpster
06-04-2006, 02:44 PM
Great! I'm all for Rick Smith as our new GM. The only thing I am curious about is where did you obtain this information from?

OzzO
06-04-2006, 02:46 PM
Wow, McKenzie must've rubbed them the wrong way for only Smith to make the 2nd interview. I was thinking it was one of those two anyway from the names I've seen floated around.

Smith seemed to come across as the more "be all in agreement" type person and KcKenzie more the "I'll show why" type person.... IMO.

Jimpster - he linked the chronic.

A possible sticking point in any talks to hire a general manager is the subject of final authority over personnel decisions. But that doesn’t seem to be an issue with Smith, who is not seeking total control over player moves.

“I have no predisposition on what the responsibility needs to be or how it needs to be structured,” Smith said. “I think that what’s most important is that everybody’s on the same page and everybody buys into whatever it is that we’re trying to get done. So that’s what’s important to me.”

prev. on Texans website (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2620)

Seems like they're gonna works towards equal billing between coach, "director" (not GM per se), and owner on player selections.

mancunian
06-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Great! I'm all for Rick Smith as our new GM. The only thing I am curious about is where did you obtain this information from?

theres a link in the first post of this thread that takes you to an article in the Houston Chron

DocBar
06-04-2006, 02:51 PM
Sounds like a good deal. With all the Bronco's ties we now have, I'm glad they've been such a good organization for so long. I wonder what moves they will make next. Should be an interesting rest of the offseason. Will John Elway be coming out of retirement???:lightbulb:

mancunian
06-04-2006, 02:53 PM
Sounds like a good deal. With all the Bronco's ties we now have, I'm glad they've been such a good organization for so long. I wonder what moves they will make next. Should be an interesting rest of the offseason. Will John Elway be coming out of retirement???:lightbulb:
He could come and coach and Carr.....anyone know what he does nowadays?

DocBar
06-04-2006, 02:57 PM
He could come and coach and Carr.....anyone know what he does nowadays?
Playing golf and selling cars in Denver.

TEXANS84
06-04-2006, 02:58 PM
Clay Walker opening song at the games: "Houston Broncos....are you ready for some football?"

kikiscafe
06-04-2006, 02:59 PM
Clay Walker opening song at the games: "Houston Broncos....are you ready for some football?"
:redtowel::redtowel::redtowel:

MrLizardTX
06-04-2006, 03:21 PM

And owner of the Arena Football team, Denver Crush.

Texans_Chick
06-04-2006, 04:06 PM
I think it is a good hire.

The Denver offense requires a certain kind of player for RB, offensive line, QB and tight end. How better to get the right personnel than to get someone really familiar with the system?

TexanFan881
06-04-2006, 06:20 PM
I'm glad we got him :redtowel: I think he was by far the best option with us, with him having past experience with Kubes.

Nawzer
06-04-2006, 06:25 PM
Congrats to Rick Smith and the Houston Texans!

Bobo
06-04-2006, 06:26 PM
Awful, awful choice. Now a first-year head coach with absolutely no game experience in that position also has absolutely nobody to hold him in check. All this guy will be is a rubber stamp. It just keeps getting worse and worse.

bigbrewster2000
06-04-2006, 06:51 PM
Awful, awful choice. Now a first-year head coach with absolutely no game experience in that position also has absolutely nobody to hold him in check. All this guy will be is a rubber stamp. It just keeps getting worse and worse.

Here it comes again:brickwall

TexanFan881
06-04-2006, 07:17 PM

You've got to be joking :francis: Every GM needs to start somewhere...they can't just go from having no experience to having 20 years of experience.

Buffi2
06-04-2006, 07:20 PM
Awful, awful choice.

Ah, Bobo - You need to name three good things and take a happy pill. :bananasplit:

Kaiser Toro
06-04-2006, 07:27 PM
Good morning, Mr. Smith. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, involves the recovery of a stolen item designated "Dignity." You may select any two team members, but it is essential that the third member of your team be Bob McNair. He is a civilian, and a highly capable professional businessman. You have forty-eight hours to recruit Mr. McNair and meet us in Houston to receive your assignment. As always, should any member of your team be caught or grilled, the Message Board will disavow all knowledge of your actions. And Mr. Smith, the next time you go on a scouting trip, please be good enough to let us know where you're going. This message will self-destruct in five seconds. :fireball:

TexanFan881
06-04-2006, 07:27 PM
Ah, Bobo - You need to name three good things and take a happy pill. :bananasplit:

That's way to easy for Bobo :stooges:

GP
06-04-2006, 08:52 PM
FIRE RICK SMITH!

Sorry. I'm having flashbacks again.

"I love the smell of napalm on the message board...."

ensign_lee
06-04-2006, 09:08 PM
Good morning, Mr. Smith. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, involves the recovery of a stolen item designated "Dignity." You may select any two team members, but it is essential that the third member of your team be Bob McNair. He is a civilian, and a highly capable professional businessman. You have forty-eight hours to recruit Mr. McNair and meet us in Houston to receive your assignment. As always, should any member of your team be caught or grilled, the Message Board will disavow all knowledge of your actions. And Mr. Smith, the next time you go on a scouting trip, please be good enough to let us know where you're going. This message will self-destruct in five seconds. :fireball:

Hehe. I like it.

barzilla
06-04-2006, 09:12 PM
While Smith might not keep Kubiak in check he is in tune with what he wants. He can organize the scouting department accordingly. Yes, he might be yet ANOTHER Bronco, but he is better able to help build the kind of club that Kubiak wants. Let's remember one thing: the issue at the end of last season was who to blame between Capers and Casserly. Either Casserly was extremely adept at shifting blame (probable) or he and Capers weren't on the same page. If this thing blows up you fire both immediately because you KNOW they are on the same page. If their system works then it will be that much more efficient.

infantrycak
06-04-2006, 09:18 PM

You are correct 100%. This is an awful, awful choice from the perspective of the Titans. Now unfortunately, the head coach and GM for the Texans will be on the same page (something you didn't have in this last draft) and Kubiak will be able to implement his system all that much faster. Sorry we can't compete with the wisdom of your team in deferring salary and cap effects for so long that your co-mvp QB counts $23 mil on the cap and will have to be let go this year.

LORK 88
06-04-2006, 09:32 PM
He's following Casserly, how is this a bad signing? As of now, id rather take a chance with Rick Smith who has experience as (GASP!) only an assistant over Casserly whos been around. Until this guy makes the mistakes that CC pulled, I support the hiring and look at it in a positive light. I asked around some Denver circles too, and while not much was known, they said he's good at scouting.

Capster67
06-04-2006, 10:40 PM
As someone who lives in Denver, I think the Bronco connection is a good one. The Broncos have been consistent winners and made the most of their low draft picks and free agents. It will be helpful to have a head coach and GM on the same page. I'm looking forward to the Texans building a winning reputation like the Broncos.

TwinSisters
06-04-2006, 11:12 PM

Bobo my man. It's not awful yet. Check Carolina. Fox HC 1st year/ GM Marty Hurney bumped to GM. This is right after getting the ship from a 2 Ring ( 5 ring total ) coach.

http://www.panthers.com/team/staff.jsp
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?p=536845

Rubber stamp is good. Unless of course Kubiak is not... then that is good because we will know without all the mystery. Which in turn makes it good.
See, sorta like a circle. Where it's all good.

Kaiser Toro
06-04-2006, 11:14 PM
Bobo my man. It's not awful yet. Check Carolina. Fox HC 1st year/ GM Marty Hurney bumped to GM. This is right after getting the ship from a 2 Ring ( 5 ring total ) coach.

http://www.panthers.com/team/staff.jsp
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?p=536845

Rubber stamp is good. Unless of course Kubiak is not... then that is good because we will know without all the mystery. Which in turn makes it good.
See, sorta like a circle. Where it's all good.

It's the circle of life.

BigTimeTexanFan
06-04-2006, 11:38 PM

Sometimes change, especially in this case, can be a good thing. Everyone has to be a first timer at one point or another. Who knows, maybe he could be the next great GM or he could be a complete flop. Time will tell.:)

bckey
06-04-2006, 11:48 PM
I'm not saying it is good or bad but it does seem as though Denver might as well have moved their team here. How much more can we strip from them? It is like the Broncos are giving birth to the new Texans.

HeartofHouston
06-05-2006, 12:23 AM

:poker: Great Stuff Man....

CowboysTexansFan
06-05-2006, 12:56 AM
I like the hire. Welcome aboard, Mr. Smith. If the Texans begin enjoying the consistent, long term success the Broncos have had, I'll take it! The season can't start soon enough for me.

:gotexans1

Texans Pride
06-05-2006, 01:27 AM

Actually he doesn't own the dealerships anymore. He sold them some time ago, and now just acts as the face. He's a hometown hero here in Denver, and people feel better thinking they are buying a car from him.

BradK10
06-05-2006, 02:14 AM
let's see Bobo, last time around we decided to take the "proven" guys and that failed

now we give some new blood a chance to make their big day, and that's not good enough for you either?

Insideop
06-05-2006, 02:31 AM

No one can ever accuse Bobo of being a :homer: !

Is he the voice of reason? Or, is he just another person who always sees "the glass as half empty" no matter the situation? I guess only time will tell!

Texian
06-05-2006, 02:40 AM

I guess there will always be detractors. If Arthur Blank and Rich McKay of the Atlanta Falcons were trying to hire Smith, to replace Ruskell, who went to Seattle as GM, that is all the confidence I need. Blank insisted to McKay they hire an assistant GM soon in the event McKay was selected as the new commisioner. Smith would have been Mckay's replacement. Mr. Home Depot (Blank) and Mckay are two of the best at what they do in the NFL. There decisions are usually very good and sound! This does not sound like like a rubber stamp. It looks like it was well thought out and will prove to be a successful move. Say no more to the bobo!

Malloy
06-05-2006, 04:42 AM
This message will self-destruct in five seconds. :fireball:

It's still here :I

Malloy
06-05-2006, 04:47 AM

Is he the voice of reason? Or, is he just another person who always sees "the glass as half empty" no matter the situation? I guess only time will tell!

For Bobo, that glass is pretty much empty all the time :)

touttail
06-05-2006, 07:32 AM

Denver has got to be tired of us taking all the eggs from their basket.

I was afraid that they would hire the dude from the Saints.

I like Smith and think he will be good for the Organization. Oppps thought the

same about Charlie too!:stirpot:

Bobby 119C

ATX_Texan
06-05-2006, 09:38 AM

How can this be any worse than Casserly and Capers? If you listen to Casserly, all the horrible trades and wasted draft picks were the result of him only doing what Capers wanted. It seems like we already had four years of a coach with nobody holding him accountable. I think it is good that the new regime will be working together and hopefully both can share the success, or accept the blame if it fails.

thunderkyss
06-05-2006, 09:50 AM

What do you think?

Smith, the only candidate the Texans brought in for two interviews, spent his first four years as an assistant coach at Denver and the last six years as the Broncos' director of pro personnel. In March, he was promoted to assistant general manager when the Atlanta Falcons tried to hire him.

It is intriguing that the Falcons wanted to hire him....... I wonder in what position did they want to utilize him??

I'm a bit concerned with our coaches... apart from Sherman...... there seems to be a bit of green everywhere.

But....... looking at our last draft..... which was mostly Kubiak... I don't think we could have gone too wrong with whoever we put in there, as long as Kubiak gets a strong voice in the matter.

Especially since we'll be picking like 31 or 32 after we go 13-3 in '06.
But here's hoping........

Bamaborn-Texasbred
06-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Like most of you, all I saw of Smith was the video of the post interview presser he did. He seems smart, well-spoken, and I like the fact that he has already had a good relationship with Kubiak.

I'm not African-American myself, but I like to see qualified African-Americans get a chance to perform on the managerial side of this sport. I hope he does well.

Keldar
06-05-2006, 12:59 PM
I really had no doubt that Kubiak was gonna get his man.

B.Diddy
06-05-2006, 01:01 PM
Like most of you, all I saw of Smith was the video of the post interview presser he did. He seems smart, well-spoken, and I like the fact that he has already had a good relationship with Kubiak.

I'm not African-American myself, but I like to see qualified African-Americans get a chance to perform on the managerial side of this sport. I hope he does well.

Im really impressed how the texans did that shows the class of the organization

Meloy
06-05-2006, 02:37 PM

I'm not African-American myself, but I like to see qualified African-Americans get a chance to perform on the managerial side of this sport. I hope he does well.I mentioned this in a new post last Friday, about 2 of 3 candidates being black and no media attention to that. The post was moved somewhere & I found it once... anyway.. I like to think that race is not an issue in Houston as it may be other places. Hopefully, we can continue to show the world that we care about the person's qualifications not color, creed, religion, etc. I was leaning toward McKenzie myself as I like the way he came across as a take charge guy. I really like Kubes so if he wants Smith, well lock & load and fire at will.:twocents:

beerlover
06-05-2006, 04:30 PM
can we stop with the Bobo quotes, my ignore function does not block out his insane in the membrane blogs of negativity towards the new Texans brain trust on other user posts :ok:

the reality is its going to take a lot of work to turn this thing around, now Kubiak can focus on the football and Smith can close the comptetitive gap off the field :)

cuppacoffee
06-05-2006, 04:45 PM
No one can ever accuse Bobo of being a homer !

BoBo is a troll.

It has been reported on this board that BoBo's IP address is the same as a Titan :homer: with the same screen name.

However BoBo continues to deny it..and is ashamed to come out the closet and admit it. :hides:

The internet is not as anonymous as some might think.

:coffee:

trutexan67
06-05-2006, 05:26 PM
I think BOBO gets a kick out you guys responding to his negative posts. It really gets everybody riled up. You should just ignore his posts and move on.:thumbup

powerfuldragon
06-05-2006, 05:32 PM
or maybe he's just voicing his opinion.

trutexan67
06-05-2006, 05:35 PM
or maybe he's just voicing his opinion.
That's the thing, His opinions don't make sense....

michaelm
06-05-2006, 06:57 PM

more like a "glass is half empty and smashed to pieces, ground into bits, and eviscerating me slowly as they pass through the acid and bitterness within me" kind of person...

michaelm
06-05-2006, 08:05 PM
I think BOBO gets a kick out you guys responding to his negative posts. It really gets everybody riled up. You should just ignore his posts and move on.:thumbup

Maybe some of us get a kick sparring with the clown as well. Call it a guily pleasure if you will, but it allows me to blow off steam to beat on BOBO every once in a while... :)

trutexan67
06-05-2006, 08:15 PM
Maybe some of us get a kick sparring with the clown as well. Call it a guily pleasure if you will, but it allows me to blow off steam to beat on BOBO every once in a while... :)
Well I guess I can understand that :thumbup

Ibar_Harry
06-05-2006, 09:07 PM
If you haven't done so go to the presser on Smith's hiring that is up on the Texan's Web Site. Having read what every one is saying I can see why Smith is an excellent hire. He also has expanded on what I feel about Kubiak and said so in many different ways. Smith is obviously a very articulate young man.

Character seems to be an issue in all of the McNair hires and that was repeated in fact by Smith. It's something that Kubiak has talked about. They like that guy who somehow pulls up the boot staps and makes it despite all the barriers. Perhaps that's what they like about Wand.

A good deal of information has been made available to us and I appreciate how open the Texan's organization is being. As fans we are really getting a lot of information on how they are thinking. Its sort of like GB, but the fans don't own the ball club out right. Howevr, McNair is trying to give his fans the feeling of ownership and that is really a nice approach. Some organizations really don't care about the fans as long as they put up the bucks.

It will be interesting to see if Mr. Smith walks into the lime light and keeps the fans informed like Casserly did. He certainly has the ability to do so having been on the playing field as well as the management field. He might very well be someone us fans would like to hear from on a weekly basis.

My original concern was about the team that the Texans are putting together. After reading and listening to McNair and Kubiak I think it is apparent that he does fit the mould of what we want in the Texans organization. He is an independent thinker, but he is also a team person. That above all else is what will lead to the Texans being a success this year. Yes, this just reinforced my optomism for the year and may be I will have to raise my 13-3 forcast.

Needless to say I am as enthusistic as the players with what is happening to the Texans. I think we can all sit back and just enjoy the ride. I think this year is going to be a very special one.

bayoudreamn
06-05-2006, 09:37 PM
I like the hire. Welcome aboard, Mr. Smith. If the Texans begin enjoying the consistent, long term success the Broncos have had, I'll take it! The season can't start soon enough for me.

:gotexans1

I agree with you......100%. I just read all the press release information from today. This guy is a top flight communicator which is one of those intangibles we talk about all the time, only this time it's a suit and not a uniform with the stuff. I think it's important for the community to feel like they are getting honest, and fair information from the organization and Mr. Smith will be on the front lines and I think he'll tell it like it is with no fear because I think he'll know he's done everything he could to do the right thing.

If this hire speaks for all the moves they've made this offseason it's obvious we are on the right road!

bayoudreamn
06-05-2006, 09:44 PM

LOL

throwANDREtheBALL
06-06-2006, 12:59 PM
Smith was my top-pick out of the candidates that they were interviewing. And I can finally "OFFICIALLY" change my AVATAR. (in my next post)

WHAT a sigh of RELIEF........Casserly is finally gone.

real
06-06-2006, 01:04 PM
And I can finally "OFFICIALLY" change my AVATAR. (in my next post)

I think it's going to change in every post you've ever done...

NoBullTexan
06-06-2006, 06:41 PM
Duhhh....., Kubes has over 10 years experience as an offensive coordinator, and Boob, oh sorry Bobo, says he has no experience? You better get your head out of that hole you've been hiding in.

texan279
06-08-2006, 02:08 AM
LINK (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/texans/3941250.html)

RICK Smith is as close to a perfect hire as Bob McNair could have made. Yes, the Texans got it right this time.

Smith is smart, competent and ambitious. He has been an NFL assistant coach, scout and contract negotiator.

He worked his way into a position of trust with Broncos coach Mike Shanahan and had a significant voice in an organization that did a terrific job evaluating players.

Did I mention he's only 36? That he's the NFL's youngest general manager?

When McNair put together his first football operation, he hired a pair of NFL veterans Charley Casserly and Dom Capers.

This time, rookies got those jobs. Kubiak never has coached an NFL game, and Smith never has had the final say on a draft pick, trade or free-agent signing.

trane
06-08-2006, 04:01 PM

What do you think?

Denver assistant general manager Rick Smith has accepted the job as the Texans' general manager and will be introduced at a press conference on Monday.
Smith, 36, replaces Charley Casserly, who spent 6 1/2 years as general manager before resigning last month to pursue a position with the NFL office in New York.

I think this is a good move mainly because he knows what type of personnel that Kubiak wants. Lots of teams have have failed because the GM and Coach were not on the same page. In fact, I think Casserly and Capers were not on the same page this past year.

HARRYJ
06-11-2006, 02:41 PM
This might be too big a step for this young man.:challenge

threetoedpete
06-14-2006, 12:09 AM
Denver has got to be tired of us taking all the eggs from their basket.

I was afraid that they would hire the dude from the Saints.

I like Smith and think he will be good for the Organization. Oppps thought the

same about Charlie too!:stirpot:

Bobby 119C

Yep, Doug in Kingwood has gotta be going out of his mind. There goes the "R" card off the table.
Welcome Mr. Smith and Family . Good Luck !!!
He knows personel. He's has great experence. I love the hire. He'll miss a few also. But, I think he's a good man and a winner.