PDA

View Full Version : Team gives Casserly farewell...

texan279
06-04-2006, 10:54 AM
from www.kffl.com

Texans | Team gives Casserly a fond farewell
Sun, 4 Jun 2006 07:23:53 -0700

Ron Borges, of the Boston Globe, reports former Houston Texans general manager Charley Casserly's last day with the Texans was Wednesday, May 31, and he attended the team's OTAs daily until he left. On the final day, owner Bob McNair and new head coach Gary Kubiak asked Casserly to come to the practice field. When they brought him out, Kubiak told the players that none of them would be in Houston if not for Casserly. After receiving a strong ovation, Casserly was asked to address the team, something he said he'd never done in 30 years in the NFL.

kikiscafe
06-04-2006, 11:11 AM
from www.kffl.com

Texans | Team gives Casserly a fond farewell
Sun, 4 Jun 2006 07:23:53 -0700

Ron Borges, of the Boston Globe, reports former Houston Texans general manager Charley Casserly's last day with the Texans was Wednesday, May 31, and he attended the team's OTAs daily until he left. On the final day, owner Bob McNair and new head coach Gary Kubiak asked Casserly to come to the practice field. When they brought him out, Kubiak told the players that none of them would be in Houston if not for Casserly. After receiving a strong ovation, Casserly was asked to address the team, something he said he'd never done in 30 years in the NFL.

Thank you for the post. I was wondering myself why there is no news at all about Casserly's last day. Regardless of how your opinion about him, it is nice to hear that the owner and the headcoach show appreciation. What a class act from them. What ashamed of our local media, that we, as the fan, have to get it from somewhere else.

Lucky
06-04-2006, 11:27 AM
Thank you for the post. I was wondering myself why there is no news at all about Casserly's last day. Regardless of how your opinion about him, it is nice to hear that the owner and the headcoach show appreciation. What a class act from them. What ashamed of our local media, that we, as the fan, have to get it from somewhere else.
McClain told of this on his Friday radio spot. Casserly got a huge ovation after his remarks to the team. Don't know why this didn't make the Chronic.

Carr Bombed
06-04-2006, 12:13 PM
I wonder what he said to the team

SheTexan
06-04-2006, 12:43 PM
Don't know why this didn't make the Chronic.

Probably because it was not about Dallas or Tenn!!!:sarcasm:

Our Houston Chronicle sports writers have yet to realize that TEXAN fans are hungry for news of any kind about our team!! They have yet to convince me they are PRO TEXAN!! When they do, I will renew my subscription!! Until then, I will just continue to depend on my fellow MB buddies to provide info on my team!!

BTW: THANKS!!:redtowel:

Brandon420tx
06-04-2006, 12:44 PM
We do what we can. :)

Porky
06-04-2006, 12:52 PM

Our Houston Chronicle sports writers have yet to realize that TEXAN fans are hungry for news of any kind about our team!! They have yet to convince me they are PRO TEXAN!! When they do, I will renew my subscription!! Until then, I will just continue to depend on my fellow MB buddies to provide info on my team!!

Why should a newspaper be pro anything. I thought they reported the news?

hot pickle
06-04-2006, 01:04 PM
although, seeing derrick johnson still makes me wanna cry, and its hard to watch him play for team other than ours, I've liked CC

best of luck to you CC

mexican_texan
06-04-2006, 01:10 PM
So from what I've heard, Casserly has become the favorite, if not the lock, for the VP position he's been going after.

SheTexan
06-04-2006, 01:29 PM

I believe I said, new's of any kind!

kikiscafe
06-04-2006, 01:57 PM
I believe I said, new's of any kind!

Agree... I feel the same way. That is the only reason why I start looking for any Texans news from this board since 5 months ago. And my favourite Texans sport writer in Chronic now is Texanschick... love her insider report.

ledzeppelin229
06-04-2006, 02:15 PM

I don't care if they like the Texans, just as long as they report what's going on with them. I don't remember which station it is, maybe Fox, but the whole "Local news comes first" crap comes to mind right now.

Texans_Chick
06-04-2006, 02:33 PM
Agree... I feel the same way. That is the only reason why I start looking for any Texans news from this board since 5 months ago. And my favourite Texans sport writer in Chronic now is Texanschick... love her insider report.

Thank you. Though I write about football, I don't think you should tar me with the "sports writer" tag--I'm just a fan--one as desperate for news on my favo team as just about everyone here. :texflag: (Who doesn't get paid other than just with the satisfaction that a fan's point of view has a chance to get heard).

TwinSisters
06-04-2006, 03:43 PM
When they brought him out, Kubiak told the players that none of them would be in Houston if not for Casserly. After receiving a strong ovation, Casserly was asked to address the team, something he said he'd never done in 30 years in the NFL.

Hmmm. :um:

I hope Kubiak is just trying to be friendly.

It's generally not a good idea to try and make players feel like they are around because of one person. The players should be on the team because of what they do and did, not because of what some guy in the front office does or how he feels about them.

O well... just glad it is over. Forward Ho!!! ALL HAIL RICK SMITH

HAIL
HAIL
HAIL

:bowdown:

FILO_girl
06-04-2006, 06:47 PM
I don't care if they like the Texans, just as long as they report what's going on with them. I don't remember which station it is, maybe Fox, but the whole "Local news comes first" crap comes to mind right now.

Channel 2, KPRC.
They do Sports Sunday at 10:35pm every week, check it out.

Exascor
06-05-2006, 08:05 AM
Good luck Charley. Hope your career rebounds from the expansion blackhole.

jerek
06-05-2006, 10:22 AM
I used to assign half of the blame for our team's personnel decisions to Casserly, the same mistakes we have discussed ad nauseum on this board now. However, in the years since that time, I came into repeated, close contact with Texans management who told me sincerely that most of the boneheaded moves we have ascribed to Charlie's ignorance were in fact calls coming from the former coaching staff, including last year's Derrick Johnson debacle. If this be the truth (and I think it is), then it appears that I (and many of us) have rushed to misjudge the man. I have even met and very briefly spoke with Charlie a time or two, and while he can occasionally be a slight surly, he struck me as a particularly intelligent analyst and a well-qualified GM.

Regardless, he has done good things for this team in his time and I wish him luck wherever he ends up. I am excited about Rick Smith, but some of my very favorite NFL players are here by Charlie's doing, so I thank him for that.

Ibar_Harry
06-05-2006, 10:31 AM
I used to assign half of the blame for our team's personnel decisions to Casserly, the same mistakes we have discussed ad nauseum on this board now. However, in the years since that time, I came into repeated, close contact with Texans management who told me sincerely that most of the boneheaded moves we have ascribed to Charlie's ignorance were in fact calls coming from the former coaching staff, including last year's Derrick Johnson debacle. If this be the truth (and I think it is), then it appears that I (and many of us) have rushed to misjudge the man. I have even met and very briefly spoke with Charlie a time or two, and while he can occasionally be a slight surly, he struck me as a particularly intelligent analyst and a well-qualified GM.

Regardless, he has done good things for this team in his time and I wish him luck wherever he ends up. I am excited about Rick Smith, but some of my very favorite NFL players are here by Charlie's doing, so I thank him for that.

I have felt this way from a far for a long time. For some reason I'm not that high on Smith, but I will take a wait and see stance. Casserly was a heck of a lot better than most think. He was a back room guy who knew all of the players both on the field and off the field. He also kept the public informed like few GM's like it or not. No, he is going to be sorrily missed by the Texans. Smith has big shoes to fill.

Double Barrel
06-05-2006, 10:45 AM
The Texans are a class act, and this is confirmed every step of the way. In just one week they give Casserly an ovation and let him speak to the team for the first time in his career, and then the FO gives us fans an inside look at the heart of the players lives with tours of the Reliant facilities, as well as a chance to actually interact with players.

Mr. McNair has more class in his pinky than the owner of our previous team.

THANK YOU!!! :texflag:

ComstockLode
06-05-2006, 11:07 AM
So if I was a star player, would it have been alright for me to booooo?

El Tejano
06-05-2006, 11:41 AM
I am suprised they didn't jump him after they told him it is because of Casserly that they are in Houston.

Vinny
06-05-2006, 11:45 AM
I used to assign half of the blame for our team's personnel decisions to Casserly, the same mistakes we have discussed ad nauseum on this board now. However, in the years since that time, I came into repeated, close contact with Texans management who told me sincerely that most of the boneheaded moves we have ascribed to Charlie's ignorance were in fact calls coming from the former coaching staff, including last year's Derrick Johnson debacle. If this be the truth (and I think it is), then it appears that I (and many of us) have rushed to misjudge the man. I have even met and very briefly spoke with Charlie a time or two, and while he can occasionally be a slight surly, he struck me as a particularly intelligent analyst and a well-qualified GM.The simple fact remains that Casserly let people who have little time to scout dictate personnel decisions from the veteran talent all the way to the College talent. From guys like Charles Clemmons, Keith Mitchell, Stacey Mack to Jason Babin, the Texans were not sharp talent evaluators in the Casserly regime at the end of the day. While it is a good thing to listen to your subordinates and their wants and needs, I'm not impressed with his management style as so many bad personnel decisions not only fell to the coach...but his failed coordinators. Casserly is clearly responsible for the group of failed players he assembled from scratch as he built this franchise into the 1st pick of the draft 5 years later.

CowboysTexansFan
06-05-2006, 11:53 AM
I'm with you on that, Vinny. It seems to me CC has done a good job of palming off responsibility for all the bad decisions in Houston to the previous coaching staff -- as if Casserley were simply an innocent bystander -- and McClain and the others at the Chronicle have lapped it up. Big surprise. CC tried to do that with his failed picks in Washington like Heath Shuler, Michael Westbrook and Desmond Howard, but unfortunately for him, those names will always be associated with Casserley's.

If CC had thought the coaches were wrong about their personnel judgments, he should have had the stones to overrule them. If he went along with the bad decisions, they're on him as much as they are the coaches, because CC had the final say in personnel.

Good riddance to CC. I wish he could take Wade and his ridiculous contract with him.

SESupergenius
06-05-2006, 11:53 AM
I concur, if Capers and Co had to spend time making most of the decisions as you say (although I doubt Casserly can come free on a lot of decisions), then there really was no reason to say that Casserly was good. What was he good at? Hiring coaches to pick the talent for this team? Show me what he has done so great if the coaches are handling the talent level evaluations and selections? If this is the case then Kubiak needs to take all the credit for this years draft and off season, one is which I think is pretty good. If he goes, what are we losing?

And then Carr, AJ, Dunta and DD were all good selections by Capers. I whole-hartedly like the management of the team separate from the coaching. Sure the coach should have some input, but the GM should know what is good for this team and what is not, the coach should concentrate on getting the players he is given the right coaching and philosophy. Spending time away from the X's and O's seems to me to be counterproductive to scheming and coaching your troops.

jerek
06-05-2006, 12:01 PM
The simple fact remains that Casserly let people who have little time to scout dictate personnel decisions from the veteran talent all the way to the College talent. From guys like Charles Clemmons, Keith Mitchell, Stacey Mack to Jason Babin, the Texans were not sharp talent evaluators in the Casserly regime at the end of the day. While it is a good thing to listen to your subordinates and their wants and needs, I'm not impressed with his management style as so many bad personnel decisions not only fell to the coach...but his failed coordinators. Casserly is clearly responsible for the group of failed players he assembled from scratch as he built this franchise into the 1st pick of the draft 5 years later.

As far as poor scouting and talent evaluation, I can agree with that. I suspect it was partially between some unqualified scouts (who do report directly to Casserly, and so thus are his responsibility) and the coaches who, as you put it, don't have the time to make proper evaluations. Regarding those coaches, is Charley to blame for not imposing his will, or is he just a team player who ate the blame when their decisions went bad?

I am not intimately familiar with executive player ops on NFL teams, so I don't know exactly where the lines on division of responsibilities are supposed to fall. As I say, I have heard it firsthand from people who were very close to the proces, people whom I deem knowledgable and reliable, but I understand that even there, news that reaches them could have been filtered by agenda and people covering their own asses. My understanding is that contractual arrangements for GMs can and do vary somewhat amongst teams, but to be perfectly honest, I don't know the exact definitions of Charley's job here. I don't know if Charley was merely sticking his head in the sand or if he was just making good on his job description and taking it in the neck from fans like you and I when Capers and Co. screwed up.

I do know that it was our linebackers coach last year who emphatically recommended against Derrick Johnson, and wanted Jason Babin at all costs the year before.

Out of curiousity, does anyone have good numbers on the hit/bust percentage among upper-echelon NFL GMs? The Babin reach and several other moves have screamed clueless since they were made, but I wonder if expectations of Charley's hit percentage among fans are too high? Just a question, not a statement, for any who have a better understanding and would like to provide it.

And regardless, I stand by my statements that Casserly has made some very solid moves in his time (though here, do we disavow him of credit where we strip him of blame?). I will stand by my sources unless someone can prove them wrong, but I would like to know more about the exact division of responsibilites if anyone has more information on the subject.

Vinny
06-05-2006, 12:12 PM
I think the largest failure in the scouting department was in how we valued the vets. It is pretty clear that we just made tons of poor scouting decisions in scouting veteran players. We brought guys in to start who never panned out and had a hard time finding a job in the league once they were released. Guys like Stevens, Mitchell, Clemons, Mack, James Allen, Jay Foreman (although he was average...but still had problems sticking with a team once we released him) were all brought in to start. Young and Boselli had injury issues, so I won't crucify Casserly for those, but the Todd Wade and Morlon Greenwood signings were horrible as well as over-paying Walker (I think aj called this one right off the bat), and jumping to re-sign Dom Davis too soon is another poor judgment issue imo. Pbuc speaks for itself. I'm not a big fan of the Carr extension either, but I kind of view that as a McNair loyalty thing. The buck stops with the guy in charge...so I think that Casserly was a clear cut failure in his term here.

jerek
06-05-2006, 12:31 PM
I think the largest failure in the scouting department was in how we valued the vets. It is pretty clear that we just made tons of poor scouting decisions in scouting veteran players. We brought guys in to start who never panned out and had a hard time finding a job in the league once they were released. Guys like Stevens, Mitchell, Clemons, Mack, James Allen, Jay Foreman (although he was average...but still had problems sticking with a team once we released him) were all brought in to start. Young and Boselli had injury issues, so I won't crucify Casserly for those, but the Todd Wade and Morlon Greenwood signings were horrible as well as over-paying Walker (I think aj called this one right off the bat), and jumping to re-sign Dom Davis too soon is another poor judgment issue imo. Pbuc speaks for itself. I'm not a big fan of the Carr extension either, but I kind of view that as a McNair loyalty thing. The buck stops with the guy in charge...so I think that Casserly was a clear cut failure in his term here.

I can agree with all of those, and I would add to them releasing Sharper and Glenn before their time (though both seem okay decisions now, given that neither had a standout season, but IMO we completely cut out our leadership at the time with that manuever)

Does anyone know how much control the GM has in contract negotiations? E.g. Wade, Walker, Greenwood, to name a few. As far as overpaying these guys (once the decision was made to keep or acquire them in the first place) Does blame fall to Ferens, or is this Casserly, or both?

I'm not writing off Dom Davis yet, not even for the cheddar we gave him. He has shown injury tendencies, sure, but to my knowledge none of his injuries are threatening to his career nor are they necessarily expected to continuously reoccur. When he is healthy, he is an effective back and has been grossly overused in recent years, so I am hoping Kubiak's offense and our new players will lighten his load some.

My only point was that Casserly has made some good decisions in his time, and is hardly the outright villain everyone makes him out to be. I still stand by the Carr decision (though given what he had to work with, it might be viewed as poor), AJ, Dunta, and we have had some real deals in later and even the mid rounds (Mathis, despite reports of maturity issues), Davis, Chester Pitts, and Peek, to name the ones that immediately come to mind) and of course whatever role he played in this year's offseason acquisitions. I am not sure you can expect the GM to disavow outright personnel requests from the coaching staff, and would still like to know more on the explicit contractual obligations/roles, if anyone has that information.

As I said, I am curious what the expected hit/miss ratio is for upper echelon NFL GMs. Every team drafts a stinker from time to time, and every team has picks that just never really pan out, so I am curious as to what we can reasonably expect of Casserly (or any other GM). Doesn't take the sting out of some of his boneheaded moments, but might help to put them in perspective.

powerfuldragon
06-05-2006, 12:32 PM

well, seeing as it's the HOUSTON chronicle, and the team is called the HOUSTON texans, they should probably be pro-texans.

Double Barrel
06-05-2006, 12:35 PM
I've read that each NFL team is different with regards to how they establish the power structure in their front offices. From what I gather, Mr. McNair set the Texans up as a corporate boardroom, where each individual in the FO had a defined set of responsibilities.

That being said, I think there tended to be a lot of delegating, which means that nobody was truly accountable. Capers saying that Casserly was never his pick for GM, and Casserly implying that he only obtained the players that the coaches wanted seems to indicate the nature of the previous Texans FO.

Now, however, we see that the buck stops with Coach Kubiak, as Mr. McNair is obviously letting the HC choose his own GM. There should be little doubt in the future of whose team this is, and win or lose, we'll know exactly who will get the credit. I think the owner is going through the typical learning curve, and fortunately, he seems to be taking notes and making adjustments accordingly.

Personally, the BIGGEST mess up with Capers/Casserly was picking Carr. Not slamming DC in any way, but getting a rookie QB and putting him behind an untested o-line with an expansion team just reeks of marketing decisions over football decisions. And here we are, FIVE seasons later, still debating about our no. 1 pick's potential and asking questions about "proving himself". This was an utterly bonehead decision, and I place that blame squarely on the shoulders of two men: Casserly and Capers.

Tulip
06-05-2006, 12:38 PM
I cut Casserly a lot of slack about not overruling Capers. The reason being that, if I were in his position, I'd have two choices:

1. Pick the players that Capers and staff wanted, and then watch the coaching staff misuse their own choices.

2. Pick the players that I wanted, and then watch the coaching staff misuse my choices - making it look like I was choosing inferior players or players who just didn't fit the Capers & Co. "system" (whatever that was).

Casserly had a history of trying to get what his coaches wanted, and I could see that eventually, with Capers, he might have had to weigh the possiblity of changing his personnel philosophy. But there really wasn't anything for Casserly (or the team, frankly) to gain by changing course.

Texans_Chick
06-06-2006, 07:46 AM

Grandma, I was thinking of you: Link: Texans brass gives Cass a class sendoff on grass
(http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2006/06/texans_brass_gives_cass_a_clas_1.html)

OK, usually I am not prone to bad rhymes but I was bored. I don't believe their is a rap career in my future.

Runner
06-06-2006, 07:50 AM
I've read that each NFL team is different with regards to how they establish the power structure in their front offices. From what I gather, Mr. McNair set the Texans up as a corporate boardroom, where each individual in the FO had a defined set of responsibilities.

Good description. It wasn't Capers reports to Casserly reports to McNair.

beerlover
06-06-2006, 09:16 AM
is Casserly really gone? not really- his impact will be felt for some time to come (David Carr & teamates). Seems like Casserly was still a good selection even in hindsight (it could have been worse) McNair wanted experience from the beginning with his expansion franchise. I wonder what the differrence would have been if they had selected Kubiak as the HC instead of Capers? But they agreed in favor of experience over talent, this trend also carried over to free agency & the draft repeatedly passing on BPA for need or projected system fit. a safe approach guarenteed to get all of them removed before the 5 year plan was supposed to be consumated.

now we have a much more talented front office, hungry to improve the former expansion franchise into an aggressive, motivated team, not with a swagger but a firm footing as class individuals playing together for a common cause. It was time to move on but Casserly's footprints will pay dividends at least in the character deptartment as the talent surrounding the core (from high picks 2006) improves :)