PDA

View Full Version : Rb Swap! D.davis For Bennett And Future 2nd Rounder

hellojohnnyboi
06-03-2006, 01:14 AM
I have a good friend, John Morton, an offensive assistant for New Orleans Saints, and he told me that the rumors of us trading for Michael Bennett are true!

He said we are looking to ship Dominick Davis to the Saints for Michael Bennett and a 2007 2nd round pick.

I don't like what I am hearing!:francis:

MorKnolle
06-03-2006, 01:17 AM
Why would the Saints send Bennett and a high draft pick away for Domanick Davis just to sit him behind Bush and McAllister? That doesn't make any sense at all, although I would definitely consider that deal if it were offered. I would think the Saints would be looking to acquire a player at a position of greater need.

hellojohnnyboi
06-03-2006, 01:22 AM
thats exactly why i didnt believe it

i'm just relaying the information

i think that something is happening in the saints organization (trade)

Texans86
06-03-2006, 01:24 AM
Would definately tick some people off around here. I'm not sure how I feel about that trade yet. DD has been good to us, but we have a lot of depth at the RB position. And a second rounder is pretty nice. That's a tough call.

Trapped
06-03-2006, 03:18 AM
doesn't make sense, but ill do d.davis for a 2nd rounder right now!! remember corey dillion was acquired for a 2nd rounder. So this would be a steal in my opinion.

wicked_wayz
06-03-2006, 03:56 AM
are you out of your mind??????? hell no should we give up dominick davis, as good as a 2nd round pick may sound DD has done too much for the texans to be shipped out to a team that he won't even start a game in. Bennet is more of a injury prone than DD

have you all forgotten what DD has done while he was here, just think what he could do with a IMPROVE oline, im loyal to DD, and i hope he finishes his career here

Texans34Life
06-03-2006, 04:06 AM
Hell no! I don't believe that crap.

Thanks for the info, but the Texans are getting raped if they do that deal. DD is the only solid back on this team that can run with Carr in Kubiak's offense.

So NO would end up having DD, Bush, and Mcallister? Casserly must of pushed this offer before the door knocked him in the ass!

People, seriously.....you want Bennett to be your starting RB? With Morency, Lundy, and Smith backing him up?

I don't think so.

Mike Kerns
06-03-2006, 04:19 AM
One of the biggest reasons it has been said that we passed on Reggie was because "We already have a good RB: Domanick Davis." Why would we send him off for someone else? Also, the only reason the Saints want to move Bennent is because they dont want another Back....I'm not buying it.:pigfly:

Texan in Japan
06-03-2006, 04:23 AM
This is nonsense.

ensign_lee
06-03-2006, 05:15 AM
Complete nonsense...

First off, since a lot of the top talent that would have come out next year came out THIS YEAR, that second round pick may not be worth all that much.

Second off, why would they trade for DD, of all people? So that they can have a $150 million dollar backfield?!?! That makes no sense.

This is ridiculous. A HORRIBLE trade for BOTH teams involved.

Malloy
06-03-2006, 05:27 AM
Just to add to the speculation, what if the Saints have real problems signing Bush? (if he's not already signed, I'm not 100%).
This move, or just the rumor of it, would possibly get Bush in line.. OR.. if it IS true, it could signal a Bush-trade.

Not saying any of this is true, but hey, I'm allowed to speculate! :)

Scottyboy
06-03-2006, 06:08 AM
This is not evem close to being reliable!
DD will start, Smith/Morency

Jwwillis
06-03-2006, 07:19 AM
Could be DD's injury will shorten his career, this right after signing a large contract. Might be best to dump his salary while he still has trade value. I think Lundy will pass Morency on the debth chart. DD didnt have break away speed before the knee injury, he will be even slower now. Also, Kubiak doesnt think shifty backs fit his scheme. There will be plenty of young stud RB's coming out next year. Peterson out of OU? Good RB's come out every year. You will not see many 6'-7"/4.68 fyd/40.5" VL/ DE's coming out. Keep in mnd Kubiac's offense doesnt need a 1st round RB. 2nd round will be fine. I like the trade. DD will never earn his 5yr contract.

MightyTExan
06-03-2006, 07:48 AM
Maybe McAllister(sp?) is on the way out? Can the Saints afford that?
Maybe DD's injury is more severe that we know?
I believe Lundy is our RB of the future, hasn't Kubiak been following him since he was a kid?

texanfan2002114
06-03-2006, 08:58 AM
Maybe McAllister(sp?) is on the way out? Can the Saints afford that?
Maybe DD's injury is more severe that we know?
I believe Lundy is our RB of the future, hasn't Kubiak been following him since he was a kid?

Kubiak just said that DD should be on the field starting next weeks mini camp.

Texans | Kubiak optimistic D. Davis will return to action soon
Fri, 2 Jun 2006 17:57:35 -0700

Carmine Pirone, of HoustonTexans.com, reports Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak is optimistic RB Domanick Davis (knee) will return to action soon. Kubiak said, "I'm hoping Domanick does something next week. We're actually just going to do a walk-through on Monday and Tuesday, and I hope he's going to be a part of that. I would actually like to see him get a few reps before we call it a summer, so I'm hoping everything will work out."

RTP2110
06-03-2006, 09:34 AM
First pass on Bush, then second trade away your starting RB?? That makes no sense at all. I understand Kubiak can get great production out of lesser known backs, but that would be going a little too far IMO.

bigbrewster2000
06-03-2006, 09:52 AM
IT IS NOT TRUE GUYS GET YOUR PANTIES OUT OF A WAD. This obviously was posted to get peoples blood pumping(it worked for sure). This was reported by a friend of a friend or something. There is not even a link.

MorKnolle
06-03-2006, 10:19 AM
IT IS NOT TRUE GUYS GET YOUR PANTIES OUT OF A WAD. This obviously was posted to get peoples blood pumping(it worked for sure). This was reported by a friend of a friend or something. There is not even a link.

Agreed, this trade doesn't make sense for either team, although if we were offered Bennett and a 2nd for Domanick Davis I'd likely do it, more for the pick (will probably be in the 33-37 range of the 2007 draft) than for Bennett. Davis has done pretty well for us, but I think Morency is the same type of RB and has the potential to be as good or better, especially in Kubiak's system, plus he doesn't have the injury history od Domanick, though he is already a year older. Bennett would at least bring us a different type of RB and give us that Tatum Bell-type type speed back, so we'd be exchanging for a RB with similar overall talent (albeit a different style) and adding a high 2nd round pick.

That said, I can't see the Saints making that trade, maybe for a defensive player like Morlon Greenwood, but then I don't know if I see the Texans making that trade either. While we just got DeMeco Ryans and I think he can easily be as good and likely better than Greenwood and we have decent depth at LB, I don't know how aggressively they're really looking to add another RB.

Hulk75
06-03-2006, 10:34 AM
Stranger things have happened!
Who would have thought we would have 30+ new faces in camp this season?

I dont believe this rummor but nothing will shock me considering what Kubiak has done so far.

TexanFan881
06-03-2006, 10:59 AM
I would take the dea. And here's why:

1.) We are using Kubiak's blocking scheme from Denver. Denver was able to plug in 3 different running backs and be successful, while all were average.

2.) Michael Bennett would be perfect for our system. I think if this trade goes through he will be very productive. Sure, he's not going to be the recieving threat DD was out of the backfield, but we've already surrounded Carr with plenty of weapons.

3.) We could get a great player next year with that 2nd round pick. We can fill a need such as CB or S. With a minor downgrade if anything at RB, and we get a good player next year, this trade looks like a good one for us.

I still have no idea why the Saints would want DD though. Maybe they are shopping McAllister? Still, though, this trade doesn't make much sense. I thought they were trying to get rid of a RB, not get another good one.

Lucky
06-03-2006, 11:04 AM
Agreed, this trade doesn't make sense for either team, although if we were offered Bennett and a 2nd for Domanick Davis I'd likely do it...
Which is why I'm glad fans can't make trades.

CloakNNNdagger
06-03-2006, 11:10 AM
The Mississiippi Sun-Herald reports the following this morming:

__________________________________________________ _________

In other trade gossip, Michael Bennett, at least Friday, appears to be staying with the Saints. The squad signed the former Minnesota Vikings back before it drafted Bush.

Numerous reports had the Saints attempting to deal the injury-prone tailback with the Houston Texans, the team that passed on Bush, at the forefront.

"He's with us 100 percent," Payton [N.O. coach] said. "We're going full-speed ahead."

powerfuldragon
06-03-2006, 11:12 AM
The Mississiippi Sun-Herald reports the following this morming:

__________________________________________________ _________

In other trade gossip, Michael Bennett, at least Friday, appears to be staying with the Saints. The squad signed the former Minnesota Vikings back before it drafted Bush.

Numerous reports had the Saints attempting to deal the injury-prone tailback with the Houston Texans, the team that passed on Bush, at the forefront.

"He's with us 100 percent," Payton [N.O. coach] said. "We're going full-speed ahead."

That's good news.

texan279
06-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Kubiak just said that DD should be on the field starting next weeks mini camp.

Texans | Kubiak optimistic D. Davis will return to action soon
Fri, 2 Jun 2006 17:57:35 -0700

Carmine Pirone, of HoustonTexans.com, reports Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak is optimistic RB Domanick Davis (knee) will return to action soon. Kubiak said, "I'm hoping Domanick does something next week. We're actually just going to do a walk-through on Monday and Tuesday, and I hope he's going to be a part of that. I would actually like to see him get a few reps before we call it a summer, so I'm hoping everything will work out."

If they are not even sure he will be going through walk throughs yet, I have a feeling his knee is messed up more than any of us know. It has been almost 6 months since he had his knee scoped and he is still not really doing anything. Usually after a knee scope they start you on excersises and walking the next day depending on how bad the damage is and what was done to the knee exactly. Kubiak is saying he is HOPING Davis gets some reps in before they call it a summer. I understand being cautious and everything, but this just seems to me to be way too cautious. Makes me wonder if the coaching staff has concerns about Davis' knee or his durability, especially after signing Smith, drafting Lundy, rumored to be going after Bennett, all the while still having Davis, Morency, and other RB's on the roster...

swtbound07
06-03-2006, 11:34 AM
Hell no! I don't believe that crap.

Thanks for the info, but the Texans are getting raped if they do that deal. DD is the only solid back on this team that can run with Carr in Kubiak's offense.

So NO would end up having DD, Bush, and Mcallister? Casserly must of pushed this offer before the door knocked him in the ass!

People, seriously.....you want Bennett to be your starting RB? With Morency, Lundy, and Smith backing him up?

I don't think so.

I realize this is just a pet peeve of mine, but can we please not use that word? its too ugly, too serious, and really offensive to people have experienced serious trauma to throw it around casually.

Bobo
06-03-2006, 12:32 PM
Would definately tick some people off around here. I'm not sure how I feel about that trade yet. DD has been good to us, but we have a lot of depth at the RB position. And a second rounder is pretty nice. That's a tough call.

The Texans have no depth at RB. They have a lot of bodies, but no depth.

DominickDavisFan76
06-03-2006, 12:35 PM
I say we just give NO, a second round, and maybe like a 4th round or something...........o ya and some CASH.:twocents:

TexanFan881
06-03-2006, 12:36 PM
I say we just give NO, a second round, and maybe like a 4th round or something...........o ya and some CASH.:twocents:

A second and fourth round pick for Bennett....we can get some good players with those picks. :hunter:

mancunian
06-03-2006, 12:51 PM
Just to add to the speculation, what if the Saints have real problems signing Bush? (if he's not already signed, I'm not 100%).
This move, or just the rumor of it, would possibly get Bush in line.. OR.. if it IS true, it could signal a Bush-trade.

Not saying any of this is true, but hey, I'm allowed to speculate! :)

If they were having problems with Bush - they would keep Bennett. They only signed a couple of months ago so they must have thought he could do a job for them

Dime
06-03-2006, 01:59 PM
Please remove - mistake post

FirstTexansFan
06-03-2006, 02:30 PM
I realize this is just a pet peeve of mine, but can we please not use that word? its too ugly, too serious, and really offensive to people have experienced serious trauma to throw it around casually.

I realize political correctness runs rampant these days, but that still doesn't make it correct to redefine words to what we find offensive. Rape has three definitions in Websters, look'em up, his use of the word in this context was correct and appropriate :)

Jwwillis
06-03-2006, 02:31 PM
If they are not even sure he will be going through walk throughs yet, I have a feeling his knee is messed up more than any of us know. It has been almost 6 months since he had his knee scoped and he is still not really doing anything. Usually after a knee scope they start you on excersises and walking the next day depending on how bad the damage is and what was done to the knee exactly. Kubiak is saying he is HOPING Davis gets some reps in before they call it a summer. I understand being cautious and everything, but this just seems to me to be way too cautious. Makes me wonder if the coaching staff has concerns about Davis' knee or his durability, especially after signing Smith, drafting Lundy, rumored to be going after Bennett, all the while still having Davis, Morency, and other RB's on the roster...

And if this is true, do you think they would advertise it? They wouldnt get squat for him.

MorKnolle
06-03-2006, 02:33 PM
I would take the dea. And here's why:

1.) We are using Kubiak's blocking scheme from Denver. Denver was able to plug in 3 different running backs and be successful, while all were average.

2.) Michael Bennett would be perfect for our system. I think if this trade goes through he will be very productive. Sure, he's not going to be the recieving threat DD was out of the backfield, but we've already surrounded Carr with plenty of weapons.

3.) We could get a great player next year with that 2nd round pick. We can fill a need such as CB or S. With a minor downgrade if anything at RB, and we get a good player next year, this trade looks like a good one for us.

I still have no idea why the Saints would want DD though. Maybe they are shopping McAllister? Still, though, this trade doesn't make much sense. I thought they were trying to get rid of a RB, not get another good one.

1. Agree somewhat, Kubiak's system has a tendency to make decent RBs look very good, so if we can trade one pretty good, injury-plagued RB for another pretty good, injury-plagued RB that is at least a different type of RB than one we already have, and get a 2nd round pick in the process I'd definitely think hard about it.

2. I don't know how great he'd be for us, I certainly think that he could be very effective, but at the same time I don't think he'll put up amazing numbers or anything because I Don't think they'd give him the ball any more than 12 times a game. He doesn't have hands like Domanick, but at the same time the Broncos historically have not thrown the ball to their RBs a whole lot so I'm not sure how much of an issue that is.

3. Agreed. I also have no idea why the Saints would make this trade and I question the validity of this claim, but if the Saints did indeed make this offer I'd definitely consider it. I would think they would be looking for another LB since they are somewhat weak there and were rumored to really like A.J. Hawk going into the draft, and I'd probably give up Morlon Greenwood for a 2nd and Michael Bennett if they wanted that.

Agreed, I think he either has some serious problem with his knee or he's just very weak mentally and can't/won't play thru any pain, and you are right thtat the team definitely would not advertise such concerns if they're looking to move him, however I think that when a team does a physical on him they will discover the problem if there is still one. I have heard that many people in the Texans organization have concerns over Davis' knee and durability and aren't really counting on his career lasting much longer.

GP
06-03-2006, 02:49 PM
We don't have the money to do it.............

BUT, wouldn't it be cool if we traded DD and next year's 2nd rounder for Bush?

That'd send ESPN into a tailspin. :bananasplit:

dat_boy_yec
06-03-2006, 02:50 PM
If we did a trade with N.O. I would rather they did a trade for the safety they got from the Bucs for one of our LB's I think that would be a better trade. Both teams fill a need and move players to be in better positions to succeed. I just can't see them swapping RB's.

cj5776
06-03-2006, 04:51 PM
Let me remove the talk from actual news...

Some people insist DD knees is more srewed up the the Texans say it is, but there is any proof?

The Saints say Bennit will be with the team, and the rumors suggest the team might have tried to dump Greenwood but nothing appears to be currently in the works.

Was there any solid sources behind the DD trade talk, or just fan talk?

Brandon420tx
06-03-2006, 04:52 PM
Was there any solid sources behind the DD trade talk, or just fan talk?

And speculation based off of reporters who may or may not be speculating themselves for the sake of keeping their jobs.:hides:

cj5776
06-03-2006, 05:00 PM
And speculation based off of reporters who may or may not be speculating themselves for the sake of keeping their jobs.:hides:

So the rumors might have been started by reporters but they are not as solid as the Greenwood ones, correct?

Brandon420tx
06-03-2006, 05:06 PM
So the rumors might have been started by reporters but they are not as solid as the Greenwood ones, correct?
I have no idea, I was speculating :)

edo783
06-03-2006, 05:28 PM
Sooo, basically we have been speculating about someone elses speculations regarding a rumor. Sounds solid to me, probably happen by the end of the day.

Brandon420tx
06-03-2006, 05:32 PM
At least now we can all admit we have problems, now we can set up meetings and give group hugs.:grouphug: and then tell each other, "I love you" ... wait, I'd rather be hoodwinked by the media then join a cult... maybe ...

Hulk75
06-03-2006, 08:26 PM
I have been saying it for 2 months now, I heard his knee is not good.

Hulk75
06-03-2006, 08:28 PM
We don't have the money to do it.............

BUT, wouldn't it be cool if we traded DD and next year's 2nd rounder for Bush?

That'd send ESPN into a tailspin. :bananasplit:
Yea that would be cheap as well..........:sarcasm:

cincyTEXAN
06-04-2006, 12:30 AM
this thread is burning my eyes.biggest pile of hogwash i've ever heard.out

Samer
06-04-2006, 03:39 AM
I doubt it would happen and I wouldnt want to see the trade, what has DD done to deserve it, if we were to trade him, he at leasts deserves to be traded to a team that will give him alot of time. I'd trade him for Tomlinson :D

wicked_wayz
06-04-2006, 06:31 AM
I doubt it would happen and I wouldnt want to see the trade, what has DD done to deserve it, if we were to trade him, he at leasts deserves to be traded to a team that will give him alot of time. I'd trade him for Tomlinson :D

yeah i totally agree if for some strange reason we decide to trade him, it should be a team that he'll start for, but mind you i don't ever want to see DD leave this team, he's given it everything since hes been here

MorKnolle
06-04-2006, 09:30 PM
yeah i totally agree if for some strange reason we decide to trade him, it should be a team that he'll start for, but mind you i don't ever want to see DD leave this team, he's given it everything since hes been here

Unfortunately the NFL doesn't always work like that and if the Texans decide to trade him it will be for the best offer they can receive, not what is the best situation for Domanick, especially with a new staff that doesn't really care how a player has performed/worked in the past anywhere near as much as how they think they will perform in the future. That said, I don't see this trade happening, I don't see why the Saints would make this trade unless they plan to move Deuce McAllister too, which I don't see happening.

BigSaint8050
06-04-2006, 09:39 PM
You can't be serious right? So the Saints trade Bennett, who won't see playing time behind Deuce and Bush, for Davis (who also will not see playing time) and also give up a 2nd rounder? Come on now, get real. If you are going to make up something at least try to make it believable.

Texans86
06-04-2006, 11:22 PM

A fourth rounder turned into a second rounder, plus a player, plus past production. It really is hard to look at this mythilogical deal negatively for the team. Especially with questions on his health.

Trapped
06-05-2006, 12:30 AM
This is a great trade for the Texans, but too bad it doesn't make any sense. Why would the saints want DD when they have Bush and Mcalister.

Im guessing this deal happens when :pigfly:

Jwwillis
06-05-2006, 12:49 AM
You can't be serious right? So the Saints trade Bennett, who won't see playing time behind Deuce and Bush, for Davis (who also will not see playing time) and also give up a 2nd rounder? Come on now, get real. If you are going to make up something at least try to make it believable.

This deal is going down! I dont have a link to prove it, but my cousins best friend Lucy says her brother knows a guy that hangs out with a buddy that told him somebody said Bennett was on his way to Houston. :shoot:

Trapped
06-05-2006, 12:53 AM
This deal is going down! I dont have a link to prove it, but my cousins best friend Lucy says her brother knows a guy that hangs out with a buddy that told him somebody said Bennett was on his way to Houston. :shoot:
Who is the GM for the Saints? he needs to get fired. I won't believe it til i see it. This deal doesn't make any sense.

BigSaint8050
06-05-2006, 01:11 AM

Bennett may well be headed to Houston but DD is not headed to New Orleans (btw, I know you were joking). :chicken:

ImSoTexas
06-05-2006, 01:53 PM
Davis is better than Bennett all day every day. Making this trade would make the Texans front office look stupid. If we needed a back so bad why did we pass on Bush for Williams? This will not happen

Chicagotexan1
06-05-2006, 03:50 PM
Aren't the Saints thin at OT. maybe we can dump Wade on them? Or Wade, McKinney & Wand for Bennett? Sounds fair to me - addition by subtraction.

Eagles78
06-05-2006, 03:59 PM
Trading Davis would be a bigger mistake than passing on Reggie Bush:francis:

El Tejano
06-05-2006, 04:29 PM
This can't be true. I mean you can't trade the man that has made things happen for this organization especially after passing up on RB.

Vambo, the Marble Eye
06-05-2006, 04:51 PM
This can't be true. I mean you can't trade the man that has made things happen for this organization especially after passing up on RB.

You know, the guy that did the thing? It was reported by the other guy that saw the thing that did the deal about the you know what....

What a P.O.S. post! Stop it!:tease:

powerfuldragon
06-05-2006, 04:53 PM
The more i think about this possible trade, the less i disagree with it.

JAXwithanX
06-05-2006, 04:58 PM
Anyone who thinks this trade is good for the Texans isn't using their head or common sense. The chance of a healthy DD and even at only 10 games a year is better than having a guy who can't be an everydown back because he can't break a tackle or see holes. I would love Bennett and a 2nd....but only with Bennett coming in situationally. And all this hearsay about DD's knee being far worse than any of us could possibly ever ever imagine is crap. The coaching staff wouldn't just forget that our starting RB was breaking down and not only skip out on Bush (which would still be very likely considering the philosophy Kubiak prescribes to with RB's and how its the line and play calling that makes them mostly) but also not draft any RB earlier than Lundy. I don't know why people are convinced that for some reason they know the extent of injuries more than a coaching staff.

Long story short, if DD's knee was bum we would have addressed it in the draft. This wouldn't have been forgotten or ignored. Now maybe it's not healing as fast as the team would like now, which would have been impossible to guess before the draft, but even so, this doesn't constitute the panic or 'bum knee' rap.

infantrycak
06-05-2006, 05:03 PM
The coaching staff wouldn't just forget that our starting RB was breaking down and not only skip out on Bush (which would still be very likely considering the philosophy Kubiak prescribes to with RB's and how its the line and play calling that makes them mostly) but also not draft any RB earlier than Lundy.

Not that this necessarily means DD is hurt, but the Texans were reported to have been trying to trade back up into the 1st round to get DeAngelo Williams but the deal got screwed by the Bills overbidding for the spot.

thunderkyss
06-05-2006, 05:06 PM
I have been saying it for 2 months now, I heard his knee is not good.

hmmmm..... 2 months??.

kinda like April 29th two months ago??

nobody would be saying this crap, if Reggie wouldn't have feared NCAA investigations and returned for his Senior year.

JAXwithanX
06-05-2006, 05:43 PM
Not that this necessarily means DD is hurt, but the Texans were reported to have been trying to trade back up into the 1st round to get DeAngelo Williams but the deal got screwed by the Bills overbidding for the spot.

I remember hearing that, but there were several picks we had during the draft where we could have drafted a serviceable RB for good value. Even though that initial trade for Williams fell through, there was plenty of other opportunities to address a need as big as 'starting RB has a bum knee.'

Ibar_Harry
06-05-2006, 05:50 PM

That was common knowledge so to speak and I think the Bills owner decided to get even for the Moulds trade. While I would love to have D Williams right now, I think we may have gotten a better deal anyway.

CloakNNNdagger
06-05-2006, 06:31 PM

After this length of time from surgery, I have to share your and many other board members' concerns over the true status of Davis' knee. The risks and complications of arthroscopic knee surgery are in general extremely small. However bear in mind that occasionally there is more damage in the knee than was initially thought and that this may affect the recovery time. In addition if the cartilage in the knee is partly worn out, then arthroscopic surgery has about a 65% chance of improving symptoms in the short to medium term but more definitive surgery may be required in the future. In general, arthroscopic surgery does not improve knees that have the dreaded well established Osteoarthritis, which will take it into the chronic category of pain, swelling and limited mobility. Hopefully, last year DD was not allowed to play through what should have been tended to before he would develop irreversible arthritic changes............... Hopefully, he has not already "run his knee into the ground."