PDA

View Full Version : Gaffney relieved to be with a winning team

the wonger need food
06-01-2006, 12:00 PM
Here's to a 2-14 season for the Eagles...

Eagles | Gaffney relieved to be with winning team
Thu, 1 Jun 2006 09:46:19 -0700

Zach Berman, of PhiladelphiaEagles.com, reports Philadelphia Eagles WR Jabar Gaffney is happy to be with a new team with a winning mentality. Over the past four seasons with the Houston Texans, he only won 18 games, whereas the Eagles won 43 in the same span. Gaffney wants to be a part of a winning team and is working hard to absorb the new playbook so he can contribute.

powerfuldragon
06-01-2006, 12:05 PM
It's a business.

aj.
06-01-2006, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the locker room material.

He made similar comments back in March - unless those are some old leftover comments being recycled.

If I was him, I'd shut my pie-hole. Context would help as always.

edit: I can't find anything recent from that author on that website about Gaffney. Maybe the kffl guys are still looking at that two month old multimedia clip which is still up on their front page. Or maybe I overlooked it since I'm in a hurry and have to go somewhere...

hot pickle
06-01-2006, 12:10 PM
cant blame him though

he never really got a good shot here in houston

baba ganoush
06-01-2006, 12:17 PM
he should be greatful that we drafted him instead of clinton portis

hollywood_texan
06-01-2006, 12:22 PM
It seems from all the WR acquisitions, Kubiak had already made up his mind about Gaffney. Maybe that is why Gaffney is saying these things?

This makes Week 1 very interesting. I can't wait.

carter08
06-01-2006, 12:33 PM
Weren't the Eagles under .500 last year

hollywood_texan
06-01-2006, 12:57 PM
Weren't the Eagles under .500 last year

Yes, quarterback was out though and they still have the core of the team that has been very succesful in the past.

It seems that most people think it was just a bad year and they will be back to usual form.

EF55
06-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the locker room material.

He made similar comments back in March - unless those are some old leftover comments being recycled.

If I was him, I'd shut my pie-hole. Context would help as always.

edit: I can't find anything recent from that author on that website about Gaffney. Maybe the kffl guys are still looking at that two month old multimedia clip which is still up on their front page. Or maybe I overlooked it since I'm in a hurry and have to go somewhere...

Here is a copy of the article, I really don't think he intended to bash anyone although he's better served to keep quiet until after the eagles and texans play.

That being said there is no doubt the eagles have unproven receivers of less talent then the texans do
Although we went to 3 straight NFCCG's before TO got there with less then we have now. I think the difference is we two proven QB's who will not be injured come opening day. Gaffney will probably not star because of the learning curve but by mid season I would think he'll be getting along pretty good

A Sigh Of Relief For Gaffney

June 1, 2006
By ZACH BERMAN

The sigh was the giveaway.
Jabar Gaffney is a veteran now, and a professional at that. He wasn't going to rip any old teammates or bring up fighting words for the Eagles' opening game in Houston on Sept. 10, but the former Texans receiver who signed with the Eagles during the off-season answered the question ...without actually answering it.

In Philadelphia, he has two veteran quarterbacks, Donovan McNabb and Jeff Garcia, who've played in a combined eight Pro Bowls. While in Houston, he was part of an expansion team with a rookie quarterback. There's a bit of difference.

WR Jabar Gaffney
He admitted the difference in a classy manner.

"It's great. No matter which one it is, I'm going to get some great work," Gaffney said. "Two veteran quarterbacks, two great quarterbacks. If I'm not going with one, I'm going with the other."

But before he answered was that sigh ...of relief, it seemed, because after winning 18 games in four seasons, he's joining a team that's won 43 games in that span. Again, just a bit of a difference.

After all, he was in Houston from its infancy. The organization was developing as he was, and when a team is struggling, veterans are important. With the Eagles quarterbacks, Gaffney has no concerns.

"That makes it easier," Gaffney said. "Both of those guys are in meetings, both of them have been starters, both could be starters and both take control in the huddle. Guys listen to them."

Especially Gaffney. While his experience in Houston is helping him learn quickly, the offense and playbook are still new. He's like a rookie, after playing for the same coach in the same system for the past four seasons.

Gaffney's arrival as one of the selected veterans for this week's set of organized practices is an indication of his excitement. This is his chance to play for a winner. He wants to be a part of it as quickly as possible. For him, that happens by digesting Andy Reid's offense.

"To me, it's like a foreign language," Gaffney said. "I'm starting to get it down. All it's about is repetitions."

No problem there. Gaffney will have a lot of opportunities. As the Eagles' only veteran receiver acquisition, Gaffney encumbers a pretty big burden. After the Eagles parted ways with Terrell Owens and Freddie Mitchell and traded Billy McMullen during the past two seasons, Gaffney becomes the Eagles' second most experienced receiver behind Todd Pinkston.

Still, critics question the receiving corps. It's nothing new, although the Eagles always answered those questions by winning. After playing in Houston, Gaffney's not used to winning. But he'll make up for lost time. And with a quarterback like McNabb throwing to him, Gaffney knows a change of scenery could help answer any questions.

"I look at it as an opportunity," Gaffney said. "(Owens) was here the last couple of years, but you can't base your receiving corps off of one guy ...When we go down to Houston, all those questions will be answered."

Paragon Blue
06-01-2006, 01:41 PM
I can't wait til the first game when Gaffney goes across the middle and gets laid the @#!$ out!!!!

Hulk75
06-01-2006, 01:45 PM
Gaff your going to get rocked, this is not the same team brother, you need to watch what comes out of your mouth next.

Wow I have not played in 5 years and I want to hit him cold, could only imagine what his Xteamates want to do to him.

:fireball: :crutch:

mexican_texan
06-01-2006, 01:47 PM
Hey Mario! Since you laid out their QB's, go play CB for a while...

:mario:

ArlingtonTexan
06-01-2006, 01:50 PM
If you found anything he said disrespectful, you are just looking for something. Nothing here, move on.

mexican_texan
06-01-2006, 01:52 PM
If you found anything he said disrespectful, you are just looking for something. Nothing here, move on.
It's the offseason, of course we're looking for something

Paragon Blue
06-01-2006, 01:56 PM
It's the offseason, of course we're looking for something
preach on brother!!!:stirpot:

Texans Horror
06-01-2006, 02:44 PM
It was tough for a lot of players being here the past four years, and I'm sure many of them would echo Gaffney's comments. My best to him, but I hope we throttle his Eagles.

kingh99
06-01-2006, 03:01 PM
I'm sure Pinkston will toughen him up. LOL. I hope he fails because he was a dog here. A d-o-g.

powerfuldragon
06-01-2006, 03:28 PM
i hope dunta robinson breaks him in two.

Nawzer
06-01-2006, 03:42 PM
I hope Mario Williams gets to pancake him on one of those reverse plays!

Texans_Chick
06-01-2006, 03:49 PM
"That makes it easier," Gaffney said. "Both of those guys are in meetings, both of them have been starters, both could be starters and both take control in the huddle. Guys listen to them."

Ouch.

TexanFan881
06-01-2006, 04:00 PM
Gaffney should shut up...he didn't help us win games now did he?

He sure is treating Houston like a piece of garbage. Thanks Gaffney for making it a lot easier to lose you :thumbup Don't worry we've got Eric Moulds...and he'll show you what the real problem on our team was.

aj.
06-02-2006, 07:11 AM
That's why you have to watch those kffl quips. They write their own summaries and headlines and sometimes they can be misleading. Like this one where Gaffney really says nothing derogatory and it's really the author who's saying he's not used to playing for a winner....

Huge
06-02-2006, 11:41 AM
Didn't Jamie Sharper say similar things when he left?

TexanBearkat
06-02-2006, 11:51 AM
Tell me where the hell Garcia could start these days. Did anyone see him last year. And didn't Gaffney only get signed to a 1 year contract by Philly. Kinda shows his value as well. Gaffney was OK for us at times. A lot of his problems were honestly through a bad offensive scheme, though if I remember correctly he did drop quite a few balls along the way

Double Barrel
06-02-2006, 12:17 PM
I've got nothing against Gaffney, and I see nothing wrong with his comments.

I mean, face it, the Texans are bottom dwellers. Although we have a short history, we've never had a .500 season (much less winning season).

That being said, he's probably in one of the tougher divisions in the NFL. And he should probably keep his mouth shut, because there is no gaurantee that the Eagles won't be a sub-.500 team this year. Hey, at least he's used to losing and knows how to handle it, 'eh?

HeartofHouston
06-02-2006, 02:39 PM
he should be greatful that we drafted him instead of clinton portis

I remember that.. i was watching the draft and I was completely IRRATE when we drafted him over Clinton Portis..

infantrycak
06-02-2006, 03:17 PM
I remember that.. i was watching the draft and I was completely IRRATE when we drafted him over Clinton Portis..

But you weren't mad when the Texans drafted Pitts one place (#50) in front of Portis (#51)?

HeartofHouston
06-02-2006, 05:10 PM
when Portis dropped out of the first round and we had the chance to pick him I was drooling.. first gaffney then Pitts and then like 2 spots later.. Portis gets drafted..

texan279
06-08-2006, 12:03 AM
from www.kffl.com

Eagles | Wide receiver look; team looking to get Pinkston back
Wed, 7 Jun 2006 19:59:02 -0700

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Philadelphia Eagles could use a full recovery from WR Todd Pinkston (Achilles). He has been only a limited participant in the team's offseason drills, but Eagles officials believe Pinkston will be back full time once training camp begins. The Eagles need Pinkston because their current starting wide receivers are WRs Greg Lewis and Reggie Brown.

So I am guessing Gaff will be their #4 WR? :hmmm:

mexican_texan
06-08-2006, 01:46 AM
from www.kffl.com

Eagles | Wide receiver look; team looking to get Pinkston back
Wed, 7 Jun 2006 19:59:02 -0700

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Philadelphia Eagles could use a full recovery from WR Todd Pinkston (Achilles). He has been only a limited participant in the team's offseason drills, but Eagles officials believe Pinkston will be back full time once training camp begins. The Eagles need Pinkston because their current starting wide receivers are WRs Greg Lewis and Reggie Brown.

So I am guessing Gaff will be their #4 WR? :hmmm:
Greg Lewis is more of a deep threat WR, the big play guy. Gaffney is the dependable WR. He's the guy you want to throw to on 3rd and 6.

SESupergenius
06-08-2006, 12:22 PM
And that's why the Texans let him go, we didn't need part-time receiver.

Chicagotexan1
06-09-2006, 11:39 AM
cant blame him though

he never really got a good shot here in houston

He also didn't exactly do too much. Oh yeah he did bobble that TD in the endzone. Another bustout pick by Casserly.

Lucky
06-09-2006, 12:15 PM
Greg Lewis is more of a deep threat WR, the big play guy. Gaffney is the dependable WR. He's the guy you want to throw to on 3rd and 6.
Lewis has averaged 11.8 yards per catch over his career. His longest reception is 34 yards. As a deep threat, Lewis makes Gaffney look like Randy Moss. If healthy, Pinkston is the deep threat.

mexican_texan
06-09-2006, 12:45 PM
Lewis has averaged 11.8 yards per catch over his career. His longest reception is 34 yards. As a deep threat, Lewis makes Gaffney look like Randy Moss. If healthy, Pinkston is the deep threat.
Then who am I thinking of? It was a guy that played last year, so it wasn't Pinkston.

infantrycak
06-09-2006, 01:00 PM
Then who am I thinking of? It was a guy that played last year, so it wasn't Pinkston.

To hazard a guess--Reggie Brown. 13.3 ypr, long of 56, 4 TD's.

Lucky
06-09-2006, 01:17 PM
There was a guy who wore #81. Owens, I think? Pretty good deep threat. Wonder what happened to him?

mexican_texan
06-09-2006, 01:26 PM
There was a guy who wore #81. Owens, I think? Pretty good deep threat. Wonder what happened to him?
I think its either Greg Lewis or Billy McMullen.

Owens is in purgatory right now.

TEXANS84
06-09-2006, 05:13 PM
When I talked to a Philadelphia radio station, they heard reports that Gaffney would be awful...scared to go across the middle, runs bad routes, and has bad hands.

I told them that their "scouts" had been looking at #85 instead of #86

Eagles78
06-09-2006, 08:35 PM
I can't wait til the first game when Gaffney goes across the middle and gets laid the @#!$ out!!!!
By who? You guys act like Gaffney is such a bad player. Ive always liked even when he was on the Texans, but lets be fair David Carr was constantly on his back and couldnt get him the ball. He only dropped 1 pass last year. Im not saying hes going fill the shoes of Terrell Owens but he is going to be better than he was on the Texans

Eagles78
06-09-2006, 08:39 PM
Do you fans honestly think you the Texans will kill the Eagles? Mario Williams isnt going to make this a good team. You think just because the Eagles ahd 1 bad season in 5 years that the Texans have a shot? Well the Texans have had a horrible franchise and still havnet had a winning season. Im sorry but the unless the Texans rip off McNabbs arms and legs, they will not win this game

Seņor Stan
06-09-2006, 09:15 PM
Im sorry but the unless the Texans rip off McNabbs arms and legs, they will not win this game

http://www.emerchandise.com/images/p/MPT/pdSTMPT0002.jpg

HOOK'EM
06-10-2006, 01:36 PM
Ol' Gaff is gonna sick when we shut him out of the game and kick the living crap out of th Eagles!:howdy:

Lucky
06-10-2006, 02:58 PM
...Im sorry but the unless the Texans rip off McNabbs arms and legs, they will not win this game

Super Mario says: "QB arms & legs. It's what's for supper"

http://www.texansbullpen.com/06photogallery/Preseason/2006-05-18-PlayerPractice/Photos/DSC_0117.JPG

Eagles78
06-10-2006, 07:31 PM
Wow you guys get the first round pick and youre automatically going to beat the Eagles? Texans dont have a shot

Wolf
06-10-2006, 07:46 PM
I think it will be a good game. With the additions that we added (#2 WR,TE and legit center) our offense should keep some pressure off of the defense with Weaver,Smith,Williams and Payne we should get some pressure on the QB

I see lots of improvement on the Texans of course with what I saw last year was so frustrating.

wicked_wayz
06-10-2006, 08:02 PM
Wow you guys get the first round pick and youre automatically going to beat the Eagles? Texans dont have a shot

i believe the texans do have a shot but they'll fall short due to the fact that this is their first game playing under the new scheme. one thing for sure it ain't going to be a blow out.

Eagles78
06-10-2006, 08:28 PM
i believe the texans do have a shot but they'll fall short due to the fact that this is their first game playing under the new scheme. one thing for sure it ain't going to be a blow out.
Whatever you say...

wicked_wayz
06-10-2006, 08:47 PM
Whatever you say...

thats exactly what i say. best luck for mcnabb trying to connect with gaffny

Eagles78
06-10-2006, 09:59 PM
thats exactly what i say. best luck for mcnabb trying to connect with gaffny
Well McNabb isnt on his back 95% of his passing plays. Oh and McNabb is actually good.

wicked_wayz
06-11-2006, 01:19 AM
Well McNabb isnt on his back 95% of his passing plays. Oh and McNabb is actually good.

without TO he aint all that, have a look at his QB rating when TO was on the team. when TO left mcnabb was just an above average QB (but i still have respect for him) .....but till game time we'll see what the out come is. all i know it aint gonna be a blow out young rookie

mancunian
06-11-2006, 04:55 AM
Here's to a 2-14 season for the Eagles...

Eagles | Gaffney relieved to be with winning team
Thu, 1 Jun 2006 09:46:19 -0700

Zach Berman, of PhiladelphiaEagles.com, reports Philadelphia Eagles WR Jabar Gaffney is happy to be with a new team with a winning mentality. Over the past four seasons with the Houston Texans, he only won 18 games, whereas the Eagles won 43 in the same span. Gaffney wants to be a part of a winning team and is working hard to absorb the new playbook so he can contribute.

umm but thay had a losing season last year so technically he's joined a losing team.

Eagles78
06-11-2006, 08:30 AM
umm but thay had a losing season last year so technically he's joined a losing team.
They had one losing season since 2000 whereas the Texans have never had a winning season

mancunian
06-11-2006, 08:49 AM
They had one losing season since 2000 whereas the Texans have never had a winning season

I know thats why they went to the NFC Championship game 4 times in a row, but I was purely refering to last year.

I expect the Eagles to bounce back this year, last season didn't they lose McNabb, Westbrook and 5 of the defensive starters from the previous years Superbowl?

Jags&Dawgs
06-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Why was he let go from your team?

Wolf
06-11-2006, 02:17 PM
I am going to miss him. I believe Lito Shelton is his cousin with that and the mentallity that the previous posts say that Gaffney likes a winning team probably solidifies the reason he left here quickly..

As far as the Texan talk goes.. not sure why we let him go or try to keep him. I don't recall any offers made (or offers made public) on keeping him.. maybe he wasn't a type that kubiak likes ..not sure, but for me I liked Gaffney

mancunian
06-11-2006, 02:26 PM
Why was he let go from your team?

he was a Free Agent

Hervoyel
06-11-2006, 06:01 PM

That's at least as ignorant a take as I've seen on this thread. "Texans don't have a shot"? Rubbish. I hope the Eagles go into that game thinking the same thing. No doubt it's highly unlikely that the Texans win that game. The odds are heavily against them beating the Eagles but it remains a possibility.

HoustonFan
06-11-2006, 07:10 PM
Hervoyel, I'm just gonna stick w/ "any given Sunday". And I'll be pulling for the home team to whoop Philly's ass.
:fireball: :bowser:

Eagles78
06-11-2006, 08:00 PM
That's at least as ignorant a take as I've seen on this thread. "Texans don't have a shot"? Rubbish. I hope the Eagles go into that game thinking the same thing. No doubt it's highly unlikely that the Texans win that game. The odds are heavily against them beating the Eagles but it remains a possibility.
Ok they have a shot but not as much of a shot as you Texan fans think. Even after the Eagles worst season in 5 years they still could have beaten the Texans last year

Wolf
06-11-2006, 08:15 PM
Ok they have a shot but not as much of a shot as you Texan fans think. Even after the Eagles worst season in 5 years they still could have beaten the Texans last year

that isn't saying much given we lost 14 times

I know the saying if if's and but's were candy and nuts we'd all have a good Christmas

Texans were in alot of games last season,that is why I am thinking for us 7 wins isn't too much of a reach.. I know atleast 5 games were less than a TD.

As far as the Eagles.. Just them getting healthy is going to be a task.. I'd say the thing the Texans have going for us is y'all won't have much gamefilm on how we are going to run things.. for the 1st game of the season, we might pull an upset or maybe not.

Hervoyel
06-11-2006, 09:12 PM

Our Lady of Extreme Gastric Disorder Orphanage could have beaten the Texans last year (and didn't they, who did we play in week 11? Wasn't that them?) so this is really not significant. I've posted this before but I think it bears repeating. The difference between an 11-5 team and a 5-11 team is a lot closer than most of us fans think. Teams winning between 4-7 games are really just a few breaks away from getting over .500 and I don't think anybody with any sense thought the Eagles were a "bad" team last year because they had "one of those seasons".

On the other hand when a team wins 0, 1, or even 2 games then it isn't just a case of that team being a bad team. Seasons like that are ones where the losing takes on a life of it's own. Inexplicable crap has to happen to send a team into the off-season with 1 or 2 wins. The Texans last year weren't as bad as many of you guys from other teams coming in here think. Yes they were terrible but the same basic team somehow managed to go 7-9 the year before. Right now there's a lot of excitement and anticipation around here because we believe that the coaching staff to get this thing moving in the right direction is in place. We expect a lot more out of players you've never heard of. Some of it's misplaced off-season optimism but everyone gets that from time to time. Some of it's based on very real changes we're seeing happen right in front of our eyes. Some of it's very realistic.

I'm done talking about this. I'll be interested in it again exactly one week before kickoff but not until then. A lot of things can happen between now and then so what's the point of talking about it until the picture is clearer.

Wolf
06-11-2006, 09:30 PM
off topic but from this website ( I was browsing for smileys)

http://emoticons.sportsimagezone.com/sportsimages/emoticons/000000/151o.jpg

http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jsp?query=%22nfl+emoticons%22&page=1&offset=2&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26requestId%3D2 c863a91cadebb11%26clickedItemRank%3D2%26userQuery% 3D%2522nfl%2Bemoticons%2522%26clickedItemURN%3Dhtt p%253A%252F%252Femoticons.sportsimagezone.com%252F emoticons%252Fnfl%252Fdallas_cowboys.html%26invoca tionType%3D-%26fromPage%3DNSCPResultsB%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Femoticons.sportsimagezone. com%2Femoticons%2Fnfl%2Fdallas_cowboys.html

bayoudreamn
06-11-2006, 09:58 PM

http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jsp?query=%22nfl+emoticons%22&page=1&offset=2&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26requestId%3D2 c863a91cadebb11%26clickedItemRank%3D2%26userQuery% 3D%2522nfl%2Bemoticons%2522%26clickedItemURN%3Dhtt p%253A%252F%252Femoticons.sportsimagezone.com%252F emoticons%252Fnfl%252Fdallas_cowboys.html%26invoca tionType%3D-%26fromPage%3DNSCPResultsB%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Femoticons.sportsimagezone. com%2Femoticons%2Fnfl%2Fdallas_cowboys.html

hehe.....i like that one!

Eagles78
06-12-2006, 01:24 PM

This is coming from a team who hasnt even won their division before

TwinSisters
06-12-2006, 01:47 PM

Yeah but we are in the AFC. So one win the AFC is like worth 7 in the NFC. That means we are like 14-2 in the NFC.

It's like dog years. That's how you have to count them.

And you might be thinking, "Well how did we lose to the 49ers then?"

This is a question as big as the Big Bang for sure... to which, as best as I can tell, proves the old Franklin adage, " Every dog has his day in the sun."

rittenhouserobz
06-13-2006, 07:03 AM

The Texans have gone four years without a SB win. How long has it been for the Eagles?

TexanFanInCC
06-17-2006, 10:50 PM
I hope Mario Williams gets to pancake him on one of those reverse plays!

perhaps demeco ryans will lay him out going across the middle on a slant...

...just like ray lewis promised he would do to T.O. (but never did)

ExistentialistMZ
06-20-2006, 12:27 PM
It was tough for a lot of players being here the past four years, and I'm sure many of them would echo Gaffney's comments. My best to him, but I hope we throttle his Eagles.

:homer:

At least someone on here realizes that he never had a chance because the o-line wasn't letting carr stand long enough to see what he could do.

Hope you throttle the eagles. But look at the team. The eagles have all of thier core players back. They have a better team now than they did when the won the chapionship game, (T.O. didn't play)

And the d-line is just scary.