PDA

View Full Version : Texans sign TE Patrick Hape

Texans34Life
05-31-2006, 10:06 PM
Wed, 31 May 2006 17:58:33 -0700

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Houston Texans have signed free agent TE Patrick Hape (Broncos) to an undisclosed contract.

Vinny
05-31-2006, 10:24 PM
Another possible H-back for short yardage - a blocker-receiver, play-action player.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=721

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2465878

http://media.mnginteractive.com/media/paper36/DBhape0107.jpg

Jwwillis
05-31-2006, 11:01 PM
Dang, arnt we already TE phat? I think this may seal Brueners fate.

rockabilly
05-31-2006, 11:05 PM
The Houston Broncos......We are Denver. And if that translates to the win column, I could care less.

dalemurphy
06-01-2006, 01:10 AM
Hopefully, this works out like it did for the "Dallas Hurricanes" in the early '90s!

El Tejano
06-01-2006, 09:45 AM
How good is this guy? Any stats?

As for the Houston Broncos thing. I've kind of thought this all along since the unveiling of our jersey's. Don't they look strangely familiar.

I do think this means the end of Bruener. Oh and Joppru? Please make sure you look over both of your shoulders as you practice.

SESupergenius
06-01-2006, 09:52 AM
The tight end position is one of our Achilles heals for the past few years, and now finally we find some decent role players and put more emphasis on this position in the passing game. It's a sigh of relief really. Can you imagine the FB and TE actually getting passes thrown their way this season? wow, what a concept.

Runner
06-01-2006, 09:59 AM
Oh and Joppru? Please make sure you look over both of your shoulders as you practice.

Joppru is arguably the most talented TE we have on the roster; he has been beset by unforeseeable injuries. If all the TEs reach their various potentials, Bennie could still be the cream of the crop. It is a good thing he's still on the roster to see if his current play can match the abilities for which we drafted him.

beerlover
06-01-2006, 10:51 AM
Joppru is arguably the most talented TE we have on the roster; he has been beset by unforeseeable injuries. If all the TEs reach their various potentials, Bennie could still be the cream of the crop. It is a good thing he's still on the roster to see if his current play can match the abilities for which we drafted him.

things like talent/potential you can throw out the proverbial window once the players hit the field and find their place with respective team its how effective the players are in actual game time that counts. While Joppru (when healthy) has those classic TE measureables, I'm not yet sold he fits in Kubiaks system as well as Putzier, Daniels now even Hape :)

TEXANS84
06-01-2006, 11:04 AM
The Houston Broncos......We are Denver. And if that translates to the win column, I could care less.

Fine with me as well, I wouldn't mind an AFC Championship game at Reliant.

Now if Smith gets hired as GM...then we are the official Broncos/South.

nunusguy
06-01-2006, 11:23 AM
As for the Houston Broncos thing. I've kind of thought this all along since the unveiling of our jersey's. Don't they look strangely familiar.

I dunno.....but if Toro starts to morph into a horse, I'm gonna be real suspicious.
But I will take all of the Denver comparisons I can get. Happens to be one of
my very favorite cities, and its a great, great sports town especially football. And Elway - simply the best, I was always a huge fan of his.
As far as getting yet another TE, don't see how that can bode well for Bennie or Breuner, both of whom already maybe on the bubble.

edo783
06-01-2006, 11:33 AM
Now if Smith gets hired as GM...then we are the official Broncos/South.

That may happen in the next couple of days.

phil2366
06-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Whahoo another Bama Boy!!!!!

Hulk75
06-01-2006, 02:12 PM
Another possible H-back for short yardage - a blocker-receiver, play-action player.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=721

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2465878

http://media.mnginteractive.com/media/paper36/DBhape0107.jpg
Know anything about him Vinny? or anyone? Cause I have only heard of him, never really seen him play..........

But thanks Denver for all the TEs!!!!!!!:ok:

BamaTexan
06-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Drafted by Tampa in 97. Played in Tampa from 97-00 as H-back, TE and FB. Signed as free agent in 01 with Broncos. Played in Denver from 01-04. Cut by Denver last year at the end of training camp. Healthiest he has been in several years and has stayed in shape. Great point of attack blocker, with good hands and speed for pass catching.

El Tejano
06-01-2006, 03:14 PM
I am not saying he isn't a talented TE but it seems more of GKubes boys are coming in and have an upper hand. Joppru needs to make sure that talent is shown is all I am saying.

El Tejano
06-01-2006, 03:16 PM
Drafted by Tampa in 97. Played in Tampa from 97-00 as H-back, TE and FB. Signed as free agent in 01 with Broncos. Played in Denver from 01-04. Cut by Denver last year at the end of training camp. Healthiest he has been in several years and has stayed in shape. Great point of attack blocker, with good hands and speed for pass catching.
Just off this info one thing I like is that the dude has stuck with his team for 3 years on teams that are known for being smashmouth.

BamaTexan
06-01-2006, 03:27 PM
4 years with each team. Putzier is more of a downfield threat catching the ball, but he can't block anywhere near as good as Hape. You need someone to blowup a LB or DE, Hape is your man. Plus he knows the playbook front to back.

BT

Texian
06-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Another guy who knows the system and brings the leadership and winning attitude. He can help show them how it is done.

El Tejano
06-01-2006, 03:32 PM
Is he like a Todd Heap kind of TE? Who does he compare to?

BamaTexan
06-01-2006, 03:33 PM
Same type blocker as Heap. Heap is a little faster than Hape.

WILLIEG
06-01-2006, 03:44 PM
I don't understand why many always believe that just because a team signs someone that they are automatically on the 53 man roster. Could someone please explain to me why everyone has this belief?

BamaTexan
06-01-2006, 03:49 PM
Unless you are like David Carr, everybody must earn their spot on the 53 man roster. Smith Barney style!!

BT

Hulk75
06-01-2006, 04:11 PM
Unless you are like David Carr, everybody must earn their spot on the 53 man roster. Smith Barney style!!

BT
Dont get me started newbie.........

cj5776
06-01-2006, 04:59 PM
I hate to say it :spy: the newbie is kinda right, kinda

I mean Hape did not play last year for anybody!!! But still that is part of the fun, assuming that he will stick and where, what part of the depth he would take over. Message boards do not need too much reality, life gives us enough of that crap.

Hape could also make the team if another fb is not added, Cook and 2 undrafted rookies are the Texans only FBs right now.

Insideop
06-01-2006, 05:25 PM
Hape could also make the team if another fb is not added, Cook and 2 undrafted rookies are the Texans only FBs right now.

This is kinda what I was thinking. Maybe they use him more as a FB and only sometime as a TE. Anyway, I think he has been playing about 10 years now and they may be looking at him as a stop-gap until we get somebody else or one of the undrafted rookies steps up.

Texans86
06-01-2006, 05:58 PM
I'm not sure if you guys looked at the roster page, but Hape is listed as FB/TE. He'd be one huge FB at 6'4" and 262 lbs. For reference, Jameel Cook is 5'10" and 237 lbs.

DRAMA
06-01-2006, 07:09 PM
He's a goal line, pass-catching fullback basically. Run the playaction and then throw it to Hape. That's what he did really...

cj5776
06-01-2006, 07:20 PM
Kubes has used him as a FB before, that is where I got the fb reference. Speaking of which, does anyone know if any of the rbs are being looked at as FBs? I thought maybe Lundy since he was being compared to Mike Anderson who played both rb and fb in Denver.

(note I said "Kubes" and not coach K, I don't know which thread I saw coach K but I thought that was really dumb)

threetoedpete
06-01-2006, 10:22 PM
Definately not Heap. He has very soft hands for a big man. he blocks well in space and has a good post leg on his blocks and dosen't over extend. i.e. he drops his but. and delivers a blow. What's that guy on the Saints, hurt his achilles and was never the same ?...just a sec sennior moment... Ernie Conwell
. I think this is more of bring in guys to create compition. I'm with Beerlover on the potential thing. Potential don't feed the bull dog. Time for Beanie to fish or cut bait. Tuna caught a lot of flack for taking Faisano. I think they got a good 'un. Wouldn't trade what we got. But I was hoping he would slide.

cj5776
06-01-2006, 10:33 PM
It really does not look like any of te can block? That is why I think Bruener stays. Maybe it is just rust but why did Beanie drop 25 from his college playing wieght? Beanie, Putz, and Daniels all look like recieving TEs, which is why I think either Hape or Halterman, an undrafted free agent last year who was first team all NFL Europe, has a chance to make the team.

texanfan2002114
06-01-2006, 10:46 PM

More of Mark Bruener than Todd Heap but more atheletic than Mark

TexanFan881
06-01-2006, 10:54 PM
I think this is a move for more competition. He can battle for a TE spot and for a FB spot. It's like getting 2 players at once. I don't know why we would want another TE unless Kubiak is going to be adding new players and cutting the old, unless he doesn't think Joppru or Daniels can be the #2 TE (that is if the likely possibility of Bruener getting cut comes true). At FB you can find gems outside of the draft which is why I think we are set at FB with Cook, Hill, and Rhodes for now. I think this is just another training camp body for now, but Kubes does like him obviously otherwise he wouldn't have brought him here in his transition from Denver to Houston. I think he gets cut in a few weeks like Zeke Moreno did the last two years.

BamaTexan
06-02-2006, 09:20 AM
Maybe saying he is like Heap is a reach... Heck I know the guy well, so I'll stand up for him no matter what is said about him. He has made it in the NFL this long by being a great blocker. The 1 yard TD catch is his speciality. He can play FB and TE and knows the playbook. Kubiak and the TE coach know what they are getting with Hape. In the past, some running backs (T.Davis & O. Gary) didn't like him at FB because he is so big and that they couldn't see around him. Ask Clinton Portis if he liked Hape's blocking as he was running for over 1,500 yards and a huge contract with the Redskins. Guys like Alstott, Dun and Anderson did pretty good running behind him as well. Just hope he can make the roster and show the league (esp. Denver) that he can still get it done.

BT

El Tejano
06-02-2006, 09:32 AM
The 1 yard TD catch is his speciality.

BT
Well we could've used that in our preseason game against the Raiders last year.

BamaTexan
06-02-2006, 10:00 PM
Right now he is wearing number 45, so it looks like he'll see more time at FB to start with. That's what the coaches have told him.

BT

Texans34Life
06-04-2006, 02:15 AM
Looks like Kubiak knows what he's doing with all these TEs....

Texans | Hape a candidate to spell Cook for 2006 season
Sat, 3 Jun 2006 11:28:08 -0700

Megan Manfull, writing for the Sporting News, reports Houston Texans TE Patrick Hape is a candidate to spell FB Jameel Cook during the 2006 season. Hape is a veteran tight end, but he played more at fullback with the Denver Broncos. He has solid hands and is solid at blocking.

Texans_Chick
06-04-2006, 08:55 AM
Under the Bronco system, the three guys that need to know the most about what's happening on the offense are the QB, the LT and the TE. They are looking for smart athletic TEs--yeah they want them to be able to catch the ball to spread the offense, but mostly they want them in the right place at the right time and be totally committed to the block, even if they are way outmatched.

The TE coach is all about saying that the best TE in the league is not the one that has the most catches. The best TE is the one that enables the offense to work better by doing lots of the dirty work on offense and route running in the right place and time.

The more Bronco disciples they get on the team or coaching the team, the faster they can impliment the system and educate the new guys about it.

(And given that Smith for the GM candidate could do a great job of getting Bronco style players, that I would think, would make him a no brainer unless he is odd in some way. Remember how Cass struggled some to find 3-4 guys because he wasn't used to finding them? I am guess Smith would know how to find a Bronco TE, RB, and Olinemen--positions where the Bronco's needs are a little quirkier than the rest of the league).