PDA

View Full Version : Antwann Peek vs Jason Babin (Let The Battles Begin)

HeartofHouston
05-30-2006, 06:14 PM
Who wins this battle??

In my opinion Peek is quicker, more explosive and a better pass rusher... while Babin is more disclipined and a better run stopper (not much better but better nevertheless)

so what do you think???

Brandon420tx
05-30-2006, 06:16 PM
Who wins this battle??

In my opinion Peek is quicker, more explosive and a better pass rusher... while Babin is more disclipined and a better run stopper (not much better but better nevertheless)

so what do you think???
I'm rooting for them to get equal playing time.

Kaiser Toro
05-30-2006, 06:18 PM
This is an easy one. Babin with his super duper spin cycle move.

Honestly, I bet the staff does not even have a clue as of yet. Might as well let them arm wrestle for it.

Hulk75
05-30-2006, 06:24 PM
This is an easy one. Babin with his super duper spin cycle move.

Honestly, I bet the staff does not even have a clue as of yet. Might as well let them arm wrestle for it.
Babin over Peek........I will take.........:mario: Just kidding.

I will take Peek 90% of the time, Speed, Power, Quickness and is a better run stopper........Peeks problem he does not know were he is going half the time, not possition wise just lose cannon on his pass rush. I think him playing LB was not good, he had no power on his pass rush, he would rush straight up field but did not have his old power to shuve the guy back or sink his rip up high enough to get the tackle on skates. He just got out powered most the time.

Kaiser Toro
05-30-2006, 06:30 PM
Babin over Peek........I will take.........:mario: Just kidding.

I will take Peek 90% of the time, Speed, Power, Quickness and is a better run stopper........Peeks problem he does not know were he is going half the time, not possition wise just lose cannon on his pass rush. I think him playing LB was not good, he had no power on his pass rush, he would rush straight up field but did not have his old power to shuve the guy back or sink his rip up high enough to get the tackle on skates. He just got out powered most the time.

I could not stand watching him most of the year as he was put into a position to fail (think) and not just be a wild man out there. Babin came on last year at the end and started to show some of the things we had been waiting for. I think they are talented, built and play in different ways but they are attached to the hip for some reason since they rendevouzed at the Fangio Half Way House for Small College Tweeners. Just my opinion.

texan279
05-30-2006, 06:34 PM
When I saw this pic of Peek, I thought it was Robaire Smith! Unless it is Smith in Peek's jersey! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/texan279/DSC_0124_1.jpg

Seriously though, I think Babin has the edge mentally and Peek has the edge motor wise. IMO Babin plays the run better and Peek has a slight advantage playing against the pass. Hopefully they both see time on the field. IMO it's good to have them both for depth and competition. Now if there was just some way we could fuse the two together and get a superstar DE out of them, that would be sweet. :drool:

Hulk75
05-30-2006, 06:38 PM
I could not stand watching him most of the year as he was put into a position to fail (think) and not just be a wild man out there. Babin came on last year at the end and started to show some of the things we had been waiting for. I think they are talented, built and play in different ways but they are attached to the hip for some reason since they rendevouzed at the Fangio Half Way House for Small College Tweeners. Just my opinion.
Your right Babin came on towards the end, he is good, NOT BLOWING SMOKE UP MY BUTT, but I played DE in College and just from watching the 2, I think Peek is just flat out better then Babin. Babin has yet to show me he can stop the run and stops too many times if his first Pass Rush move does not work, You have to have atleast 2 in your pocket when rushing, on the other hand Peek plays with good pad level and never stops when he gets chances to get the QB.

Babin is good and stronger last year then Peek, I think they both need some REALL coaching, but I see Peek being better then him.

texan279
05-30-2006, 06:40 PM
Let's not forget about the shoulder injury Babin had for a large part of last season and he also had a pretty good rookie season for a rookie DE playing a 3-4 LB.

Brandon420tx
05-30-2006, 06:42 PM
When I saw this pic of Peek, I thought it was Robaire Smith! Unless it is Smith in Peek's jersey!

Seriously though, I think Babin has the edge mentally and Peek has the edge motor wise. IMO Babin plays the run better and Peek has a slight advantage playing against the pass. Hopefully they both see time on the field. IMO it's good to have them both for depth and competition. Now if there was just some way we could fuse the two together and get a superstar DE out of them, that would be sweet. :drool:

Like Peebin? :francis: :homer: :superman:

aj.
05-30-2006, 06:44 PM
....stops too many times if his first Pass Rush move does not work....

In what I call his "patty cake" move - playing handsies with the blocker - it's one of my biggest gripes about the guy..

Peek all the way from this keyboard.

nunusguy
05-30-2006, 06:47 PM
Shortly after Mario was drafted, their was some talk of moving him to weakside and playing FA Weaver at strongside DE, the position he was origionally acquired from the Ravens to play. Now all talk centers around Weaver on the inside, with Mario mainly at the stongside where he played in college. This is very encouraging if its any indicatiuon that the coaches now have confidance that a capable weakside guy on the edge can emerge from the Peek Babin twosome.

Farough
05-30-2006, 06:47 PM
Like Peebin? :francis: :homer: :superman:\

or maybe Babeek:ok:

HeartofHouston
05-30-2006, 07:53 PM
Jatwann Babeek

TEXANS84
05-30-2006, 08:22 PM
Peek hands down. Babin's good for depth, but you want a guy to motor towards the quarterback. With Peek this year on the weakside things could get interesting.

If Peek or Babin start to go off, they will have to take the strongside blocker off Mario..

South Texan
05-30-2006, 09:38 PM
Like Peebin? :

How about Peek-A-Ba:hides:

powerfuldragon
05-30-2006, 09:40 PM
http://www.texansbullpen.com/06photogallery/Preseason/2006-05-30-PlayerPractice/Photos/DSC_0214.JPG
1000 words.

Kaiser Toro
05-30-2006, 09:43 PM
Are you referring to how calm Rosenfels looks or how Rosenfels is feeling no pressure from a pass rush that involved Peek and Babin?

mexican_texan
05-30-2006, 09:47 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't that pic get the Texans in trouble? "Live Blocking" is not allowed in OTA's.

mexican_texan
05-30-2006, 09:48 PM
Jatwann Babeek
Somewhere out there, a new mom has just named her son Jatwaan Babeek Smith...

powerfuldragon
05-30-2006, 09:50 PM
Are you referring to how calm Rosenfels looks or how Rosenfels is feeling no pressure from a pass rush that involved Peek and Babin?

probably both.

DRAMA
05-30-2006, 09:57 PM
http://www.texansbullpen.com/06photogallery/Preseason/2006-05-30-PlayerPractice/Photos/DSC_0214.JPG
1000 words.

Classic - this picture does indeed!

:redtowel:

YoungTexanFan
05-30-2006, 10:49 PM
1000 words.

This picture is just as bad for Peek as it is for Babin. Peek was just led to the outside, where is that "second move" most of you are clamering about??

Babin is the better player, he may not be quite as explosive, but he is a much better form tackler, is stronger, and is now healthy. Youn saw what a healthy Babin could do towards the end of last year. Peek is reached his peek if you will, he sits at LB weight consistently. Peek gets no higher than 260, and at that, I worry about how his frame will handle the load. Babin on the other hand, played at 280 in college with his hands down where he led the world in sacks. Babin is not much less explosive than Peek if you were to compare their 20 or 10 yard times.

F-minus67
05-30-2006, 11:05 PM
Have you seen Peek lately? He has to be at least 265 and 278 at the heavest.

texan279
05-30-2006, 11:10 PM

Yeah he looks bigger than Babin to me IMO.

mexican_texan
05-30-2006, 11:11 PM
Do I see a QB with pocket prescence...in liberty white? Surely that is not Carr...on a related note, my car is finally finished (new engine) despite a dirty mechanic. Second guy to steal my car and bring it back.

YoungTexanFan
05-30-2006, 11:12 PM

I have seen him, he is 265 at the most. Babin is looks to be sitting at around 275-280.

And anyone can find a picture of someone flexing and some guy relaxing and compare then. I will give it to you that Peek is more "cut" than Babin, but Babin is still better, stronger, and bigger.

MorKnolle
05-30-2006, 11:27 PM

I put both of them in the 260-265 range.

AFD1717
05-30-2006, 11:28 PM
Does anyone really know how much these guys weigh now? I really hope they have been getting double deserts and hitting the gym knowing they are moving to DE. They both look pretty ripped, but I hadn't heard any solid numbers.

cj5776
05-30-2006, 11:40 PM
Or maybe the fact that Babin is on the ground!!!

I'll never forgot that news segment where he changed a diaper in record time. Note to self... If I am come back in other life as DE and go to a team that traded a 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks for me, I will be seen as a rough and tough guy first. (Not that there is anything wrong with changing diapers, but toughness to go with it is good)

Insideop
05-31-2006, 03:50 AM
Who wins this battle??

so what do you think???

Don't care who wins this battle as long as one or both register double-digit sacks for the year and stops anything running their way. That would be great to have both of them get double-digit sacks and Mario too!

But really, I don't care as much about the stats or who wins the position battles as long as they start playing some great football and winning!

YoungTexanFan
05-31-2006, 06:57 AM
Don't care who wins this battle as long as one or both register double-digit sacks for the year and stops anything running their way. That would be great to have both of them get double-digit sacks and Mario too!

But really, I don't care as much about the stats or who wins the position battles as long as they start playing some great football and winning!

Thats a great attitude to have for a new member to the board. Welcome, browse around the various forums, if you have general questions...see our technical support forum. You will find the set up very easy to work with, and the board itself organized MUCH better than you will 99% of other message boards of any kind.

Hulk75
05-31-2006, 09:06 AM
I guess I will answer this again.........
And to add to the picture, it looks to me like Peek was suposed to rush totaly outside to force him up in the pockett SO BABIN could go under and get the sack, he just never got there........:spy:

Babin over Peek........I will take.........:fireball: Just kidding.

I will take Peek 90% of the time, Speed, Power, Quickness and is a better run stopper........Peeks problem he does not know were he is going half the time, not possition wise just lose cannon on his pass rush. I think him playing LB was not good, he had no power on his pass rush, he would rush straight up field but did not have his old power to shuve the guy back or sink his rip up high enough to get the tackle on skates. He just got out powered most the time......................

Your right Babin came on towards the end, he is good, NOT BLOWING SMOKE UP MY BUTT, but I played DE in College and just from watching the 2, I think Peek is just flat out better then Babin. Babin has yet to show me he can stop the run and stops too many times if his first Pass Rush move does not work, You have to have atleast 2 in your pocket when rushing, on the other hand Peek plays with good pad level and never stops when he gets chances to get the QB.

Babin is good and stronger last year then Peek, I think they both need some REALL coaching, but I see Peek being better then him.

texan279
05-31-2006, 09:18 AM
I guess I will answer this again.........
And to add to the picture, it looks to me like Peek was suposed to rush totaly outside to force him up in the pockett SO BABIN could go under and get the sack, he just never got there........:spy:

Sage had time to plant and throw, he felt no pressure from Babin or Peek, looks like Peek overshot the QB like he was doing last season and Babin got put on the ground.

TheOgre
05-31-2006, 09:27 AM
You know the best thing about this thread? That we are trying to figure out who our 2nd best DE will be. Next thing you know, we will be worried about our dime backs and 3rd string QB's.

Texans Horror
05-31-2006, 09:32 AM
This picture is just as bad for Peek as it is for Babin. Peek was just led to the outside, where is that "second move" most of you are clamering about??

Babin is the better player, he may not be quite as explosive, but he is a much better form tackler, is stronger, and is now healthy. Youn saw what a healthy Babin could do towards the end of last year. Peek is reached his peek if you will, he sits at LB weight consistently. Peek gets no higher than 260, and at that, I worry about how his frame will handle the load. Babin on the other hand, played at 280 in college with his hands down where he led the world in sacks. Babin is not much less explosive than Peek if you were to compare their 20 or 10 yard times.

They look good against the second string... :rolleyes:

jerek
05-31-2006, 09:52 AM
Who wins this battle??

so what do you think???

Babin? Disciplined?

Oh, you mean as in, he doesn't get penalties for excessive emotion.

Peek is already on the fast track to winning this one. Not set in stone yet ... but Babin has some serious catching up to do.

YoungTexanFan
05-31-2006, 09:53 AM
They look good against the second string... :rolleyes:

Yes, and they'll look just the same against 1st string as he showed last year. I don't understand some of yalls infatuation with Peek. Why are yall so enamored with him and all the mistakes he makes and the his little production. I think after Faggins, Peek is our most over-rated player and the guy I like the least.

Texans86
05-31-2006, 10:00 AM
Sage had time to plant and throw, he felt no pressure from Babin or Peek, looks like Peek overshot the QB like he was doing last season and Babin got put on the ground.

That's the thing you always have to question when your team is playing itself. If the QB has time to throw, is it because the line did well, or the defense is really bad. I'm going with the line did well.

Texans86
05-31-2006, 10:02 AM
And just for clarification, Babin is up to 6'2" and 271 lbs.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamReport?categoryId=67071&type=InsideSlant

texan279
05-31-2006, 10:12 AM
And just for clarification, Babin is up to 6'2" and 271 lbs.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamReport?categoryId=67071&type=InsideSlant

Good article, this is the part I like the best...

"What I like about him is he's very conscientious," defensive coordinator Richard Smith said. "He's a good athlete, shows tremendous speed at the position. He's able to play with leverage, and I think if you're able to do those things you have a chance to be successful."

The key for Babin at this point is simply repetition.

Hulk75
05-31-2006, 01:49 PM
You see what you want to see, and I will see what I see. See:tease:

real
05-31-2006, 02:01 PM
You know the best thing about this thread? That we are trying to figure out who our 2nd best DE will be. Next thing you know, we will be worried about our dime backs and 3rd string QB's.

Those things have already been discussed...

Texas
05-31-2006, 05:59 PM
Peek!

Brandon420tx
05-31-2006, 06:10 PM
I really don't think it will matter too much which one starts, all I've ever heard from the coaches in news articles is that the key component of our D-Line will be the rapid attack and our rotation. Thus, Depth = Good, they are both good pass rushers IMO.

:cool:

Ibar_Harry
05-31-2006, 08:24 PM
Its like having 4 guards in college that are equal and can press. If the other team only has 2, you can wear them out. Two fresh guys rushing equals one tired offensive player. Eventually you will get to the QB.