PDA

View Full Version : KFFL: K. Wong could be a June 1 cut

Texans34Life
05-30-2006, 04:22 PM
Texans | K. Wong could be a June 1 cut; injury may not permit it
Tue, 30 May 2006 10:26:51 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports Houston Texans LB Kailee Wong could become a June 1 cut. Houston signed Wong to a four-year contract extension last summer and his total deal was worth $17.65 million. Wong did suffer a season-ending patella tendon injury after just five games in 2005, and, for grievance reasons, the Texans might have to wait until he is fully rehabilitated if they choose to release him.

El Tejano
05-30-2006, 05:03 PM
Well that sucks. I mean now we can't let this guy go. CASSERLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????

Kaiser Toro
05-30-2006, 06:41 PM
Does not surprise me at all. Unfortunately nice, loyal, experienced guys do get released when you add into the equation injuries, cap, competition and new staff putting together a new team that they can coach for one full off season.

wrestler4life
05-30-2006, 07:17 PM
Well that sucks. I mean now we can't let this guy go. CASSERLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????
Wong was good for us... dont be mad at casserly

TexanSam
05-30-2006, 08:11 PM
I remember after getting him from the Vikings, they said he was a potential Pro-Bowler. So much for that prediction.

CoastalTexan
05-30-2006, 08:14 PM
How much would he cost to cut? With a contract that big it's gotta be a hefty fee.

HeartofHouston
05-30-2006, 08:59 PM
I hate to say it but I'm not dissapointed or happy about this move.. mix feelings is more along the line of what I'm aiming at here..

If we do Cut Wong it will help with the salary cap down the line if we dont have to feed him all that money. (Waiting For June 1st is the best move here).. As that frees up money for us to pull in bigger FAs later down the line in a year or 2.

However.. He is a Veteran one of the original Houston Texans, he's a great guy and could teach all this young talent a thing or 2 on the field. Ryans and Mario could really learn from him..

I'm leaning more towards keep Wong.. if he returns to form.. he could be a pro-bowler..

YoungTexanFan
05-30-2006, 11:54 PM
I hate to say it but I'm not dissapointed or happy about this move.. mix feelings is more along the line of what I'm aiming at here..

If we do Cut Wong it will help with the salary cap down the line if we dont have to feed him all that money. (Waiting For June 1st is the best move here).. As that frees up money for us to pull in bigger FAs later down the line in a year or 2.

However.. He is a Veteran one of the original Houston Texans, he's a great guy and could teach all this young talent a thing or 2 on the field. Ryans and Mario could really learn from him..

I'm leaning more towards keep Wong.. if he returns to form.. he could be a pro-bowler..

It's likely he'll never play near the level he played at prior to his injury, and its even possible he may not play again. He will not have much of an impact on Mario, seeing as they play different positions.

texan279
05-30-2006, 11:55 PM
It's likely he'll never play near the level he played at prior to his injury, and its even possible he may not play again. He will not have much of an impact on Mario, seeing as they play different positions.

Maybe this could be the reason for drafting DeMeco. Our LB's could be DeMeco, Orr, and Greenwood this season if Wong has any problems with that knee or if he is released.

YoungTexanFan
05-30-2006, 11:58 PM
MAybe this could be the reason for drafting DeMeco. Our LB's could be DeMeco, Orr, and Greenwood this season if Wong has any problems with that knee or if he is released.

True, but none of those guys mentioned are MLB's. Cowart will probally start at MLB, flanked by Greenwood and Ryans. Orr will be the back up.

texan279
05-31-2006, 12:03 AM
True, but none of those guys mentioned are MLB's. Cowart will probally start at MLB, flanked by Greenwood and Ryans. Orr will be the back up.

You're right I didn't think about that.

cincyTEXAN
05-31-2006, 02:38 AM
there goes 17.65 Million down the drain
its the nfl , i doubt much if any is guaranteed.might take a cap penalty of a million, probably less

wicked_wayz
05-31-2006, 04:40 AM
i hate to see him go, hes a great guy but he takes up too much space

its going to be dymeco, cowart, and orr/greenwood

YoungTexanFan
05-31-2006, 08:08 AM
i hate to see him go, hes a great guy but he takes up too much space

its going to be dymeco, cowart, and orr/greenwood

I agree. I think Greenwood will start mainly due to his contract, but he should do better in a system he's used to which is the 4-3.

Also, if not for the lack of depth, I wouldn't be surprised to see Greenwood be a June 1st casuality.

YoungTexanFan
05-31-2006, 08:08 AM
its the nfl , i doubt much if any is guaranteed.might take a cap penalty of a million, probably less

The cap hit should be more than pocket change. There is absolutely no way we pro-rated his contract until the last 2 years.

Texans Horror
05-31-2006, 08:24 AM
Wong has a good head on him and a great sense of the game (my impression through interviews). I would rather we not drop him; I think he can still add something to the team by way of veteran leadership, the loss of which caused the Houston D to be so pathetic last year. However, sometimes, those injuries are not something you can overcome. I don't want another Joppru waiting for years on end to get better, especially at Kailee's paygrade.

Speaking of Joppru - I see by the Bullpen pics that he is on the practice field. I"m really happy to see that and hope he can give the Texans some return on the dollar. This could be a good year for him.

infantrycak
05-31-2006, 09:23 AM
There is absolutely no way we pro-rated his contract until the last 2 years.

There is no way they did not. They paid him a signing bonus rather than a roster bonus. As such it is pro-rated over the term of the contract, i.e. thru 2009. His pro-rated signing bonus for each season is $1.171 mil. Cut him as a June 1st cut and you will save $2 mil on this year's cap (with $1.171 of dead money this year) at the expense of $3.5 mil next year.

Folks are way too fascinated with June 1st cuts. They should only be a mechanism of desparation and sparse use (most teams have recognized this which is why this last few years commentators have mentioned not to expect much in the way of June 1st cuts). Combine the June 1st cuts folks have advocated around here--Payne, Walker, Wade, Wong, Babin, Bruener, etc. and you have around $20 mil of dead cap space next year. Not a good plan.

Marcus
05-31-2006, 09:38 AM
Wong has a good head on him and a great sense of the game (my impression through interviews). I would rather we not drop him; I think he can still add something to the team by way of veteran leadership, the loss of which caused the Houston D to be so pathetic last year. However, sometimes, those injuries are not something you can overcome. I don't want another Joppru waiting for years on end to get better, especially at Kailee's paygrade.
Veteran leadership? Hmmm.

With today's salary cap NFL, you'd better bring more to the table than 'veteran leadership' . . . like being able to make plays, or not being on the decline talent-wise to go with that back loaded salary. Just ask Jamie Sharper and Aaron Glenn. They had 'veteran leadership', but as you can tell from their on-field production on the teams they went to . . . that's all they had.

It simply isn't enough.

Texans Horror
05-31-2006, 10:27 AM

With today's salary cap NFL, you'd better bring more to the table than 'veteran leadership' . . . like being able to make plays, or not being on the decline talent-wise to go with that back loaded salary. Just ask Jamie Sharper and Aaron Glenn. They had 'veteran leadership', but as you can tell from their on-field production on the teams they went to . . . that's all they had.

It simply isn't enough.

For the Texans D, it has been enough. The dearth in the Texans defense that both those players left had a lasting effect on the Texans. To some extent, it could have cost Capers his job, IMO. The Texans defense buckled under pressure during the later games last year (Rams, Titans, 49ers, Ravens). Those were the times when the Sharpers and Glenns could have come in handy. A young team did what it should have done, which is buckled.

This year the Texans will be much more capable on the defense because Houston has added veterans like Weaver and Cowhart. I don't know that it will be enough, though.

TheOgre
05-31-2006, 10:33 AM
AT MOST you will see one more guy cut with a large cap figure after June 1.

trane
05-31-2006, 11:35 AM
Texans | K. Wong could be a June 1 cut; injury may not permit it
Tue, 30 May 2006 10:26:51 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports Houston Texans LB Kailee Wong could become a June 1 cut. Houston signed Wong to a four-year contract extension last summer and his total deal was worth $17.65 million. Wong did suffer a season-ending patella tendon injury after just five games in 2005, and, for grievance reasons, the Texans might have to wait until he is fully rehabilitated if they choose to release him.

Nothing Wong with cutting Kailee!

Insideop
05-31-2006, 11:47 AM

It simply isn't enough.

Sad but true. Although I do have to agree with OSO that the Texans sure could have used that veteran leadership in a lot of those games last year.

Personally, I hope Wong recovers fully and can play for the Texans this year.

Cjeremy635
05-31-2006, 12:09 PM
Since my wife is a Wong FANATIC, I was blessed with having to give her this news on our raod trip to the hill country this past weekend. She damn near cried ...j/k, but she was dissappointed. Atleast he'll have one die-hard fan where ever he ends up. She'll still be sporting his jersey to the games next year and on Sundays around the house.

vtech9
05-31-2006, 02:03 PM
Since my wife is a Wong FANATIC, I was blessed with having to give her this news on our raod trip to the hill country this past weekend. She damn near cried ...j/k, but she was dissappointed. Atleast he'll have one die-hard fan where ever he ends up. She'll still be sporting his jersey to the games next year and on Sundays around the house.
I'll say again...I seriously doubt Wong will be cut. He is injured, and before he can be cut, the Texans and Wong would have to agree to an injury settlement. Wong will most likely spend the first part of the season on the PUP list.

Blake
05-31-2006, 02:09 PM
Bye Bye todd Wade. Your days of underachiving for the Texans are over.

Wong should stay.

Vinny
05-31-2006, 02:50 PM
I consider Wong a pretty average linebacker and someone not suited for the middle or the weakside so it would not shock me to see him cut. He is a good role model and team member though.

HeartofHouston
05-31-2006, 03:06 PM

I'm sorry to burst your bubble but.. a good veteran linebacker can impact everybody on that defense.. I'm speaking from personal experience that someone is a field general will make all the players around him better..

This game is a team sport.. every move that every person makes affects the way somebody else's move.. and I do mean EVERYBODY.. The positions are interlocked..

By you saying that, you are telling me that a Veteran QB couldnt teach a Young WR how to be a better player because they dont play the same position.???

Trust me I know what I'm talking about a good veteran helps a team out big time... regardless if they play different positions or not??

cj5776
05-31-2006, 06:11 PM
If I remember correctly, both Wade and Wong are injuried and would need injury settlements if they were to be :crutch: :crutch: cut

mapleleaf
05-31-2006, 07:42 PM
Wong should stay in my opinion. I think he has the potential to become a good player.

cj5776
05-31-2006, 07:50 PM
I think Wong would do a good job on the strong side, even if he is missing the first 4 to 6 games. Maybe longer if they are placed on PUP. He and Mathis should come back at the same time.

even if S Orr led the team in sacks, I think he is better off the bench with D Ryans as the nickel LBs, with starting lbs... wlb Greenwood, mlb Cowart, slb Wong!!!!

cj5776
05-31-2006, 07:55 PM
If your worst "signature line ever" line was smack against mine, than I probably deserve that. But I just think the other 3 teams are declining.