PDA

View Full Version : Where will Mark Bruener be when the season begins?

humbleone
05-30-2006, 01:56 PM
A couple of weeks ago, I asked the same question about TJ (before the Chronicle article btw), and as usual the MB scooped the paper and had very good insights.

How about Bruener? I ask for three reasons: (1) hasn't he been one of the ones that the new regime has been quiet about? (2) we picked up two new TE's (Putzier, Daniels) (3) isn't he one of the few cuts that would significantly help our cap money...something like $1M? :poker:

real
05-30-2006, 01:59 PM
He's Outta here...We don't need him

El Tejano
05-30-2006, 02:01 PM
I think he is out of here but only unless one of the younger dudes really show some improvement in blocking.

edo783
05-30-2006, 02:21 PM
If we have a player(s) that show they can be strong at blocking, then he is likely gone. If no one is able to be a strong blocker, then he makes the team. About that simple IMO.

Runner
05-30-2006, 02:23 PM
If we have a player(s) that show they can be strong at blocking, then he is likely gone. If no one is able to be a strong blocker, then he makes the team. About that simple IMO.

Maybe Murphy, who they are also trying at tackle? I'm sure he's cheaper.

texan279
05-30-2006, 02:29 PM
We've got Daniels, Putzier, and Joppru now at 100%. Tough to say about Bruener since he is the best blocking TE we have, but he is 33 years old and does not contribute to the passing game. Hopefully at least one of the other 3 can prove to be an asset in the pass game and in blocking situations.

F-minus67
05-30-2006, 02:33 PM
I think he will be here. The team will probably run 2 TE formations, with Putzier running routes and Bruener saying to help in blocking since Wand will need help this year so he doesn't lose his confidence again.

nunusguy
05-30-2006, 02:52 PM
I dunno......but Eric Winston ran a 4.9 40 in the combine this year (so he's probably got about as much speed as Bruener) and played
TE in HS and at the U before moving to OT, so why not put him in at TE when we want a real blocking force there much like we used Seth Wand a couple years ago ? It would save us a place on the roster.

Scooter
05-30-2006, 02:55 PM
i think he stays for 2 reasons.

1. we dont need the money. bruener's on the last year of his contract, so by cutting him we wouldnt be saving any future money. if we decide that there's someone after june 1st that we absolutely have to have however, bruener would probably be one of the first to be cut because we would save a decent amount this season without losing a starter.

2. he's very likely to make the final 53. putz is our only legit starter at tight end, and after bruener, the next two tight ends on the roster are rookies (joppru & daniels). unless kubiak thinks that bruener doesnt have anything to offer in his system, bruener's going to be #2 on the depth chart until one of the rookies takes it from him ... which hopefully is very quickly. basically the same situation as babin, payne, and several others. it makes no sense to cut them if we dont have to, so lets see what they can do on our new team. but, of course kubiak sees who is and who isnt working in his system, so at any time one of these guys could be cut because he doesnt feel they'd bring anything to the team.

TexanFan881
05-30-2006, 03:03 PM
We have to much rookie talent to develop. We will cut him to develop our younger players that are at the worst not much worse than him. He will not be with us.

beerlover
05-30-2006, 03:09 PM
We have to much rookie talent to develop. We will cut him to develop our younger players that are at the worst not much worse than him. He will not be with us.

I agree its time to move on regardless of the money, Brunner does not fit Kubiak's styled offense. With Joppru now healthy, still young along with former Bronco f/a Putz, a promising rookie in Daniels it would also give Murphy more time to pull two positions. Guess I'm the only one but I liked Rivers potential, now he's gone as well :twocents:

hollywood_texan
05-30-2006, 04:09 PM
Since we drafted a tight end in April, it seems that there is a good possibility Bruener could be cut. Bruener may be the best blocker, but we seem to have a lot talent and expectations at this position and some guys are going to have to go.

Kaiser Toro
05-30-2006, 05:46 PM
I would say Bruenner stays because I believe we are already got some guys teed up to cut and some dead money already on the cap for this year and next. Moreover, he was known as a very good run blocker. With a zone blocking scheme that shows it can get it done with smaller blockers he may well positioned to hang on.

I just do not see the pros outweighing the cons for him being cut.