PDA

View Full Version : Lance Shulters Available

Scottyboy
05-29-2006, 08:23 PM
Lance Shulters is still on the market!

Hopefully they pick him up! :yahoo: :drool:

F-minus67
05-29-2006, 09:48 PM
I rather have the guy that KC released a few weeks ago. But Shulters could come in for compition.

kiwitexansfan
05-29-2006, 10:09 PM
That would be Jerome Woods I believe.

I would prefer Woods also.

LORK 88
05-29-2006, 10:46 PM
I always hate sounding negative, but there are reasons why players get released, and usually good ones. Woods for instance is 33 and has been breaking down alot. Schulters is 30, but proved alot more last year as a Dolphin than Woods did. Honestly, I think we're better off seeing what Brown and Earl can do in the backfield together.

wicked_wayz
05-30-2006, 04:43 AM
I always hate sounding negative, but there are reasons why players get released, and usually good ones. Woods for instance is 33 and has been breaking down alot. Schulters is 30, but proved alot more last year as a Dolphin than Woods did. Honestly, I think we're better off seeing what Brown and Earl can do in the backfield together.

yeah i totally agree we should have faith in what GK said about how out secondary is great so lets give earl and CC a chance

TK_Gamer
05-30-2006, 05:31 AM
woods is half the db schulters is, schulters had 77 total tackles 2 sacks and 4 ints last year. more than woods production over the last 4 years. I would go after schulters and let him raise the bar for the safety competition in camp, who knows maybe cc will step it up and then we have a good dime package and stronger special teams.

El Tejano
05-30-2006, 08:20 AM
I wouldn't want to pick up any cut DB from KC. Their DBs have sucked over the last couple of years.

Texansbacker
05-30-2006, 10:04 AM
CC Brown did a great job in his rookie year and seemed to be the only one making tackes while playing strong safety last year on a bad defense. When Glenn Earl came back and CC moved to free safety they worked well in tandem, especially given the help up front. The main question I would have is how much speed and therefore range does CC Brown have?

Bobo
05-30-2006, 10:07 AM
I always hate sounding negative, but there are reasons why players get released, and usually good ones.

And there are also reasons why teams don't re-sign others, such as Moulds and Flanagan. We might keep that in mind the next time somebody gushes about what a "great" offseason the Texans have had.

Bobo
05-30-2006, 10:09 AM
yeah i totally agree we should have faith in what GK said about how out secondary is great so lets give earl and CC a chance

More "faith-based education" eh?

Hervoyel
05-30-2006, 12:26 PM
I tend to agree with the administrator. Good call.

I'm not sure if CC Brown and Glenn Earl are the answer but I know one thing. I'd like to see them play the postion with an actual pass rush for a change. Then I'd be able to answer the question easily enough. Without a fairly decent pass rush no secondary on earth looks good.

We may still need help here and probably do. How badly we'll find out next season.

El Tejano
05-30-2006, 12:59 PM
I think that if we rely on another area of our defense to find out if a certain area will be okay or not we should go ahead and get the guy that is experienced and has played at a high level. Especially when that area of defense (Dline) has not played a down together and proven anything themselves.

Thinking this way is very Caperesesque

Hervoyel
05-30-2006, 01:26 PM
ET I'd agree with you except that in a single off-season the team can only address a certain number of issues. They've made a concentrated attempt at putting together a defensive line that should be a strength. Now you could go out and find a bunch of vets who have played at a high level to do that but a pass rush is kind of an obvious thing. You're either getting to the QB or you're not.

If you're getting pressure then you see what the young guys can do. If you're not then having guys back there who have "played at a high level" isn't going to make as much difference as you think. You give the other team all day to find the open man and you're just going to have a bunch of guys get accused of being out of gas and over the hill. Someone will also throw in a "He's lost a step" for good measure.

Put your dream backfield in (pick any guys you want from any era) and then let me pick your front 7. I'll find some losers who couldn't apply pressure to a high school QB and we'll watch the four greatest DB's you could find look like our secondary in 2005.

Maybe our line doesn't work out (I hope that doesn't happen) and we learn nothing about our secondary. I think it will be alright though and we'll see who we have. I'm not against adding some more guys and if we can get good ones from someone elses scrap heap that's even better (Marlon McCree I still miss to this day).

I just think CC & Earl showed enough to merit getting a chance to show that they've got it covered and we can afford to let them give it a shot this year. Nobody is going to be firing Kubiak in 2006 and he can always focus on it in the next draft/FA period. They did more this time around than I thought was possible.

DocBar
05-30-2006, 01:28 PM
I think that tying up salary cap space with aging veterans is pretty caperesque way thinking. Face it. This season is going to be one big audition for everyone, starting in TC. I hope Kubes proves that nobody has a gauranteed job unless they earn it. That alone will increase competition without bringing in extra bodies that take reps away from other players. I feel we have some pretty talented guys on the team. Let's see how they do under a much better system before we start scraping the bottom of the waiver wire. :hunter:

vtech9
05-30-2006, 01:44 PM
ET I'd agree with you except that in a single off-season the team can only address a certain number of issues. They've made a concentrated attempt at putting together a defensive line that should be a strength. Now you could go out and find a bunch of vets who have played at a high level to do that but a pass rush is kind of an obvious thing. You're either getting to the QB or you're not.

If you're getting pressure then you see what the young guys can do. If you're not then having guys back there who have "played at a high level" isn't going to make as much difference as you think. You give the other team all day to find the open man and you're just going to have a bunch of guys get accused of being out of gas and over the hill. Someone will also throw in a "He's lost a step" for good measure.

Put your dream backfield in (pick any guys you want from any era) and then let me pick your front 7. I'll find some losers who couldn't apply pressure to a high school QB and we'll watch the four greatest DB's you could find look like our secondary in 2005.

Maybe our line doesn't work out (I hope that doesn't happen) and we learn nothing about our secondary. I think it will be alright though and we'll see who we have. I'm not against adding some more guys and if we can get good ones from someone elses scrap heap that's even better (Marlon McCree I still miss to this day).

I just think CC & Earl showed enough to merit getting a chance to show that they've got it covered and we can afford to let them give it a shot this year. Nobody is going to be firing Kubiak in 2006 and he can always focus on it in the next draft/FA period. They did more this time around than I thought was possible.
I don't think I have ever agreed with you more than on this post. I still wish we had kept McCree. He has moved on to San Diego, and according to reports, has taken over the starting FS job there already. Just another mistake by the Capers administration IMO.

El Tejano
05-30-2006, 01:50 PM
I don't think I have ever agreed with you more than on this post. I still wish we had kept McCree. He has moved on to San Diego, and according to reports, has taken over the starting FS job there already. Just another mistake by the Capers administration IMO.
Yeah add me to that. Vtech 9 you won me over. Thanks. I too miss Marlon Mcree.

TexanFan881
05-30-2006, 01:57 PM
If we had McCree we would be set for sure at DB. He played great for Carolina and I for one really liked him while he was here. I was really disappointed to see him leave.

HOOK'EM
06-13-2006, 11:43 AM
:lightbulb: ..........is he still out there? (Schulters that is)

cincyTEXAN
06-13-2006, 07:40 PM
as far as i know.... and i would also like to see earl and brown kick butt in TC and lock down starting jobs.but god forbid one of them goes down.....then what....that dude w/the dreads(forget his name)why not add some competition and depth at safety as well as opposed to say 6 tight ends! i've seen my fair share of schulters over the years(buddy's a huge niners fan)and if affordable would be a very solid addition to our backfield.i've already stated this a few times and will now quit.

Hulk75
06-13-2006, 07:46 PM
Lance Shulters is still on the market!

Hopefully they pick him up! :yahoo: :drool:
There is a reason.

HeartofHouston
06-13-2006, 09:09 PM
Yeah that's what a lot of people dont realize about McCree.. he's actually a good safety.. but when you're put on a team that's pass rush is almost non-exsistant.. then it makes youre jobe 3 times hard.. going to Carolina with their D-Line was the best thing to happen to McCree and now that we have switch'd to the 4-3 and borught in Super Mario and a strong Pass Rushed like DeMeco I would love to see what he could have done for our team.

But I'm still excited to see what D-Rob, Earl and Brown can do with this new defense.. I mean Earl held his own last year.. with not much pass rush from the front 7 and we all know D-Rob is a monster.. so I'm looking foward to seeing these guys on the field now..

TexanFan881
06-13-2006, 10:03 PM
There is a reason.

It's his age. Other than that he's still a solid player. Ty Law is still available. What does that tell about him? Everyone's got there flaws. It's not like he can't perform.

CloakNNNdagger
06-13-2006, 10:08 PM
This is from the 49ers message board just a month ago. Looking at his stats last year, he's still got some gas in the tank.........his attitude is great......he's tough.......and he has that veteran leadership that can be transmitted to the younguns on the field and in the war room. He may have lost a step, but can more than make up for it with savvy....definitely not a slouch.:

http://forums.49ers.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=1329