PDA

View Full Version : Here's my philosophy

johnny_tlmn
05-29-2006, 03:41 PM
I truely think with the additions added in the offseason that we will make a run for the playoffs, I think Gary Kubiak can help David carr get back on track and save this franchise. They have high expectations from me. I think that because we added Eric Moulds it could open up our best WR Andre Johnson. I look to see a good passing game, And with the pick up of Mario Williams an even better defense:twocents: .

Exascor
05-29-2006, 03:56 PM
The Texans have a rookie head coach.
The Texans have a rookie offensive coordinator.
The Texans are installing a new offense.
The Texans are installing a new defense.
Both systems are much different than the Texans previous systems.
The Texans have had a huge turnover of players.
The Texans schedule is tough, especially the beginning.

These are all huge reasons we WON'T be making a playoff run this season. Sure we could if everything falls just right. I just feel it would take too many things to get into the playoffs or even be in the hunt late in the season.

Hopefully I'm wrong and we do get to the playoffs this season. I won't be holding my breath though. :francis:

aj.
05-29-2006, 04:49 PM
You forgot 6 of 8 on the road in the middle of the season or whatever it is....

7-9 would be a banner year all things considered.

beerlover
05-29-2006, 05:04 PM
voted no, but I would love for the Texans to prove otherwise :pigfly:

Texans_Chick
05-29-2006, 05:04 PM
Agree with some of the other posters. Our season schedule is brutal and we are incorporating new schemes on both sides of the ball. Even with all the new free agents, our team is rather youngish.

Even if you like the talent we have, it has been my experience that inferior talent that is used to a system and playing together usually will beat good talent.

It would be a stunning coaching job if they were able to accomplish a playoff run in year 1 of a new system. Even a lot of established successful coaches have been unable to do that coming to a new team.

Ya just gotta stay chill. Your highs not too high and your lows not too low. :redtowel:

Bobo
05-29-2006, 05:05 PM
I truely think with the additions added in the offseason that we will make a run for the playoffs, I think Gary Kubiak can help David carr get back on track and save this franchise. They have high expectations from me. I think that because we added Eric Moulds it could open up our best WR Andre Johnson. I look to see a good passing game, And with the pick up of Mario Williams an even better defense:twocents: .

This team has a long way to go before even thinking about the playoffs. The present regime has already made some personnel mistakes as exemplified in the mystifying waiving of Dave Ragone. Carr was never the problem with this team as shown in 2004, so there really is nothing to get back on track except the OL. Moulds isn't that much of an addition since his #s are steadily going downward as his age increases. Besides, if Carr again can't get the ball away, then it won't matter who is running routes, be it Moulds or Gaffney or Marvin Harrison.

powerfuldragon
05-29-2006, 05:28 PM
No.

carter08
05-29-2006, 06:36 PM
2007 I think we make the playoffs, but not this year

Buffi2
05-29-2006, 06:59 PM
I sincerely hope I'm proved wrong - but I voted no.

While I, personally, not only believe in miracles but rely upon them with great regularity - I think a playoff spot this year would require direct divine intervention from all of the football gods.

Kaiser Toro
05-29-2006, 07:06 PM
My expectations are 5-6 wins. Anything else would be gravy. As much as I want to be in the playoffs I woud rather enjoy the upside of being incorrect than go through the disappoinment of a repeat of last year.

2007 is the year in my opinion.

Waltman
05-29-2006, 07:14 PM
Unless the Texans play with that killer instinct to destroy a team rather than try to keep from losing, we will have a lot of games where we are close but no cigar. We have the talent now it's up the coaching staff to instill the lion heart and belief into the team. Passion and belief in each other and in what they are trying to do. So can the Texans make the playoffs, yes. Will they, only time will tell.:hmmm:

Hardcore Texan
05-29-2006, 07:43 PM
Not yet, I think we will turn things around and be real close to 500, being in the 7-9, 8-8 range. But the good news is to me is that Kubiak is building this team for the long haul and I think starting in 2007 we will be a force to be reckoned with for a long time. :redtowel:
We will improve, just not quite that fast, from 2-14 to playoffs (which is probably 10-6 or 11-5 in the AFC). I will savor the flavor of every victory this year though. :drool:

PapaL
05-29-2006, 08:08 PM
Hopefully things start clicking around mid-season to make our push for next seasons playoffs. Wouldn't be mad if we overachieved this year though, but then again expectations would be astronomical the following year. So my answer is no, not this year.

awtysst
05-29-2006, 08:40 PM
Last year the Texans lost 6 games b y 7 or less points. This means they had a chance to win all 6 of those games. Bad teams will lose all 6, decent teams will will about half, and good teams will win em. So, as a decent team, I expect the Texans to win 3/6 add it to the 2 we won and add 1, so i am thinking 6 wins. That is not playoff challenging but its a solid step forward.

Hulk75
05-29-2006, 08:42 PM
The Texans are installing a new offense. The Texans are installing a new defense. Both systems are much different than the Texans previous systems.

These are all huge reasons we WON'T be making a playoff run this season. Sure we could if everything falls just right. I just feel it would take too many things to get into the playoffs or even be in the hunt late in the season.

Hopefully I'm wrong and we do get to the playoffs this season. I won't be holding my breath though. :francis:
For all those reasons I say they will.
Especially this one, is a big reason why we will.

mapleleaf
05-29-2006, 10:13 PM
Maybe not, maybe we will. But most likely we won't. We most likely might make a .500 season (8-8). The year I think the Texans might make the playoffs is..........2014. :hides: :stirpot:

TexanSam
05-29-2006, 10:59 PM
I don't think the Texans will make the playoffs, but I voted yes. I believe that up until the last two weeks or so of the season, the Texans will be in the playoff picture. We'll be one of those teams that needs the 2 or 3 teams ahead of them to all lose that last game in order for us to be in, which would naturally make us a long shot. But I believe we'll still have a chance in December.

mike moffat
05-29-2006, 11:20 PM
Voted yes just because I'm an optimist. If we get help from Indy by losing a few, and we win the close ones.......anything is possible. :redtowel:

HOOK'EM
05-29-2006, 11:27 PM
I voted Yes, But Im with TexanSam we should be in it through December.I think we will hit the 9-7 mark this year, just missing a wildcard. Playoff hunt for sure in 07'.:redtowel:

mexican_texan
05-29-2006, 11:29 PM
Worked for Atlanta, no?

TexansLucky13
05-29-2006, 11:38 PM

Agreed

TwinSisters
05-30-2006, 01:06 AM
With the question being "Will the Texans make a run at the playoffs" as opposed to will make the playoffs: I vote Yes.

I do not believe we will make a run for the divisional crown. The Titans and Jaguars are not strong enough to weaken the Colts enough for us to make a serious bid ( from the way it looks now, naturally ).

However there are two wildcards... and the last seed, we got a shot at making a run for.

I think the Pats/Dolphins have dibs on 5th and the Steelers/Bengals on 6th.

While the Bills and Jets do not look to cause much havoc in the East, The Ravens and Browns could level out the North. The West has a LOT of change going on to keep their records closer to 10-6,8-8,9-7 ishy, but things are really foggy there right now.. lots of ???s that could flip everything upside down.

If those two divisions even out, then we can make a run at the 6th seed with an 8-8/9-7 type of record. I do not believe Kubiak when he talks about our secondary as a strength ( perhaps to the team, but not to the NFL ). I do not think we have a strong enough defensive backfield/passing offense ratio to advance very far in the playoffs.

Standard Disclaimer:
It is May. Which is like 4 dog years to August.

TexansTrueFan
05-30-2006, 02:47 AM
I voted yes because....

1- Eric moulds will not only make a good target for Carr, but he will also help AJ have the kinda season he did in 04.

2- Switching to a 4-3 will help apply more pressure on opposing QBs, which will then help our secondary in the turnover column, also will help us stop the run alot better than last season. Plus the addition of Weaver and Williams, and the other guys we already have should make our D-line one of the best in the league.

3- New coaching staff, and hopefully when games go right down to the wire old GK wont go completely conservative like old DC did. Nothing bothered me more than us having a 3 point lead at half ime, and we come out and change what was working in the first half. Scared we'll mess up and blow our lead. We need a Staff who will finish teams off. One who has confidence in his players.

4- GK always had a solid O-line in Denver. We picked up 2 solid O-linemen in this years draft. Plus maybe he can show us the proper way to run the zone blocking scheme. This will benefit Davis and Carr if we can run anywhere close like denver can. Play action will be more affective and maybe Davis wouldnt have to try to carry the load cause the passing O would pick up, if play action was more affective.

5- TEs. We have some major talent at TE this year and it seems to me that we will be utilizing them this year unlike the previous 3. And that would help A LOT. Hopefully BJ can stay healthy and play a season and prove to us he is worth keeping instead of just taking up Cap space.

touttail
05-30-2006, 06:25 AM

Beer Lover,

Awesome avatar!!!!!

Bobby 119C:yahoo:

thunderkyss
05-30-2006, 08:35 AM
Ohhhhhhh Yeaaaaaaahhhh (think Randy Savage)...........

We lost too many games in the 4th quarter..... to many. As bad as we were last year.... 30 against the pass..... 31st against the run..... blah blah blah... we lost too many games in the 4th. Meaning we hung in there with the Jags..... loosing in the final seconds...... the colts.... the game was over by the middle of the third...... but that's okay. We can beat them too.... & I'll tell you why.

People keep looking in the rearview, trying to "predict" what the Texans are going to do....... and against who......... or whom?? .........

But after that beating Peyton took at home, in the playoffs....... I seriously doubt he'll get the respect that he has been from DCs....... & we're going to pound him....... I'd love it, if we had some killer safeties back there waiting for him to goof..... but we've got some corners that will make him pay if he slips...... and he's going to slip.....

Like I said, we took the Jags to the final 38 seconds in one game....... the final 3 minutes(??) of the other. & we were a bad team.

& we aren't going with a totally new system on offense. We're refining a system we've been running since 2004...... we'll most likely be starting 4 of our Offensive Linemen, who've been with this team for at least 2 years. So we're just tweaking.......

As much as I've ragged David Carr..... as bad as I believe he has played... he doesn't make bad decisions...... he's got the arm, and we're getting him some help this year...

13-3....... we're taking the AFC South........ & most likely will have homefield advantage through out the playoffs....

write it down.......... mark my words.....

El Tejano
05-30-2006, 08:44 AM

Can't this be said for alot of other teams though. Now keep in mind he said playoff run not make the playoffs. I agree because we can just as easily go something like 6-10 but because this team has not been pushed or utilized to it's fullest potential combined with the assertiveness and application of the team I am hearing, this team could very easily go 9-7 just missing the playoffs by 2 or 3 games.

El Tejano
05-30-2006, 08:48 AM
Beer Lover,

Awesome avatar!!!!!

Bobby 119C:yahoo:
Oh but it doesn't hold a candle to yours.

Exascor
05-30-2006, 08:49 AM
we aren't going with a totally new system on offense.The Texans are installing a West Coast Offense. That is not even close to the Palmer/Capers hybrid they were running in the past. The blocking scheme will most likely go from the "Pendry" zone blocking scheme to the Denver version as well. I'd say that the offense will be completely new. :twocents:

nunusguy
05-30-2006, 09:34 AM
For myself, and others may also feel this way, this season has more
uncertainty but at the same time more excitement and anticipation than any other except for the the first year. And because of that IMO the range of possible wins is very broad.
In terms of the expectationhs for our record this year, Kubiak will probably get a pass there as long as the team competes consistantly with a strong and spirted effort and gets atleast approximately a half dozen wins.
I know all of the Cowboy haters are really pointing to that game, to me just another game with a non conference opponent, but the game I will be really looking at as a barometer of the Texans progress
and success in implementatin Kubiaks systems will be the home game in December against divison nemesis Indy. If that new 4-3, hopefully led by Mario, puts some real pressure on Peyton and we could finally ek out a win, well that would some real momentum for the future.

jmlockett
05-30-2006, 10:13 AM
Heres the deal. If we win early and the coaching staff is able to keep our heads out of the clouds then we may be able to light the fire under our butts and get things moving. It's going to take confindence in ourselves and our coaches and each other to pull a cinderella year. If Coach Kubiak can instill a we attitude then a me attitude we could pull it off.

Double Barrel
05-30-2006, 11:10 AM
While just about anything is possible, I don't think a Texans playoff run in the 2006 season is very probable.

I hope 'yes', but I voted 'no'.

powerfuldragon
05-30-2006, 01:25 PM
My expectations are 5-6 wins. Anything else would be gravy. As much as I want to be in the playoffs I woud rather enjoy the upside of being incorrect than go through the disappoinment of a repeat of last year.

Yup. i'd wait til '08 for the playoffs.

trane
05-30-2006, 02:42 PM

The only problem with your philosophy is that there are so many good teams in the AFC, some would have to fall in order for the Texans to make the playoffs.

kcwilson
05-30-2006, 03:04 PM
Voted Yes, because by default, they are in the running record wise right now... a couple of early wins and you never know what transpires with injuries to other teams.

That being said, I don't believe that they will be in the playoff hunt very long, due to a below average secondary, a new offensive system, and a lot of confidence that needs to be built up by the team to win close games.

Our playoff chances this year in my mind hinge on getting help/karma from other teams unfortunate situations (i.e. injuries, problems, etc)

I don't think we are where we need to be to go out and take a playoff spot away from someone.

TexanFan881
05-30-2006, 03:06 PM

Change is definately a good thing with the season we had last year.

Exascor
05-30-2006, 03:21 PM
Change is definately a good thing with the season we had last year.Agreed 100%.