PDA

View Full Version : Ricky W. to play in CFL...

Trap_Star
05-28-2006, 03:21 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2461281

Ricky Williams has agreed to a one-year contract for $240,000 to play for the CFL's Toronto Argonauts this season, ESPN.com's John Clayton has learned.

Williams will not have an option with the team and will be able to return to the Dolphins next season.

Hulk75
05-28-2006, 05:53 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2461281
This should be good for him.

Hulk75
05-28-2006, 06:20 PM
just saw his CFL news conference, looks big and has shaved, thank the lord the guy looked homeless, he looks like means business he looks and TALKS a lot better.

stevo3883
05-28-2006, 07:09 PM
he is going to demolish the CFL. its a step below college ball, and we all know what he did there.

Farough
05-28-2006, 08:23 PM
have u watched the cfl??? hes not going to demolish the league because a team only runs once or twice per possession. he might get his yards with those carries but dont expect him to have 200+ yard games.

WWJD
05-28-2006, 08:42 PM
Well good luck Ricky. As a former Horn I got nothing but love for you.

Hulk75
05-28-2006, 08:55 PM
he is going to demolish the CFL. its a step below college ball, and we all know what he did there.
I am with you he will demolish when he gets the ball, say what you want but he has put back on pounds he lost and he is a great RB when he is not high as a kite.

edo783
05-28-2006, 10:18 PM
250K and risk of injury??? If it was a couple of mill to help pay his bills off that would be different, but 250K? Not sure why he would want to do this other than to keep in shape.

hot pickle
05-29-2006, 01:15 AM
I live in winnipeg and toronto will play them on june 23rd, and i just got tickets, so i'll let yall know how ricky williams, and onterrio smith

axman40
05-29-2006, 11:20 AM
250K and risk of injury??? If it was a couple of mill to help pay his bills off that would be different, but 250K? Not sure why he would want to do this other than to keep in shape.
That is 250K more than him being the spokesperson for High Time magazine.

:tease:

TEXANRED
05-29-2006, 05:37 PM
I live in winnipeg and toronto will play them on june 23rd, and i just got tickets, so i'll let yall know how ricky williams, and onterrio smith
How on earth do you live in Toronto and can be a Texans fan? You must like pain and dissapointment.

Good luck Ricky! He is still one of my favorite running backs, and I am an Aggie fan.

hot pickle
05-29-2006, 11:30 PM
How on earth do you live in Toronto and can be a Texans fan? You must like pain and dissapointment.

Good luck Ricky! He is still one of my favorite running backs, and I am an Aggie fan.

i live in winnipeg not toronto
and texas is home, so thats why i am the biggest TEXANS and LONGHORNS fans in Canada

TexanFan881
05-30-2006, 12:11 AM
Good for Ricky, he needs this. He deserves to get to play this year.

kastofsna
05-30-2006, 10:59 AM
he needs the money.

i doubt he'll dominate as some people think. the CFL is a passing league which places emphasis on small speedy backs to stretch the sides of the field. he'll be impossible to tackle, but he probably won't even get 20 carries a game. i'd say 1300-1400 yards for him.

hot pickle
05-30-2006, 12:48 PM
you have to remember that the CFL plays more games in a season

i say 1900-2200

and i think he will be a really good back

and the CFL isnt that much more passing then running

kastofsna
05-30-2006, 01:08 PM
actually it is. especially toronto, who ran the fewest times in the whole league last year. taking in all the considerations (less downs, new type of offense to learn, playing several months earlier than usual, etc), i don't see him dominating.

hot pickle
05-30-2006, 01:23 PM
yah, its gonna be interesting, i guess we will find out

Hulk75
05-30-2006, 07:16 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2463035

Did you guys happen to see this............Hey Joe guys make mistakes, and Ricky really looks like he is trying to be a better guy...........does his interviews without his helement on and HE SHAVED HIS FACE, AND the fact that he took a contract to play in Canada proves he wants to play football again.

Farough
05-30-2006, 07:26 PM
i live in winnipeg not toronto
and texas is home, so thats why i am the biggest TEXANS and LONGHORNS fans in Canada

Correction, I'M the biggest texans fan in Canada :redtowel: .. unless you want to share that title :)

hot pickle
05-31-2006, 12:14 AM
lol, hey the more texans in canada the better, so we will share that with whatever canadian who wants to.

but i just picked up my tickets for the Winnipeg vs. Toronto game on June 23rd

so i will let yall know how ricky and onterrio do

J-Storm
05-31-2006, 12:44 AM
The poor guy needs to be cut a lil' slack atm. He could have easily packed up his helmet and cleats and gone AWOL in the wilderness of India or Africa etc and gone back to his bad boy ways. But he seems to want to get himself stayin in game shape by playin in the CFL so why shouldn't he? He seems ok that the game there is a lil' more pass-friendly and said that is 1 part of his game he is hoping to improve compared to his battering ram ways of the Dolphins offense so it can only make the guy even more lethal if he hones some catching skills along with his running skills...
All the best to the guy... Give 'em Hell Ricky :redtowel:

hot pickle
05-31-2006, 02:33 AM
alot of yall didnt hear what former CFL QB, Joe Thiesmann said about ricky williams, him talking like that pissed me off.

here are acouple things that he said

Joe said he was embarrassed to play for toronto
ricky doesnt deserve to play football
ricky is a drug addict
ricky is a bad person
and that toronto is stupid for signing him just to sell tickets

and he just repeated those things like 3 times

it made me mad, because he doesn't no jack about ricky and he goes out and says that stuff. calling him a drug addict

but i need yall to clear this up for me

i thought steriods were worse than marijuanna?

but what do i know, i dont play football

if yall dont already know, but the CFL doesnt have a drug policy, and there are alot of players that use steriods

kastofsna
05-31-2006, 06:54 AM
ricky is definitely an addict. only an addict would risk millions of dollars to toke up. anyone else would say "yeah, maybe it's just not worth it."

that being said, who cares, let him smoke.

hot pickle
05-31-2006, 09:40 AM
Well ricky is a bad person he was smoking weed all day and went to india instead of showing up for training camp and lots of his teammates hate him like junior seau and zack thomas who happen to be the leaders of this team HES A QUITER! and is lucky he gets another shot to play

so him smoking weed, and not wanting to play football makes him a bad person :confused:

texansfanquecaneh
05-31-2006, 10:42 AM
Correction, I'M the biggest texans fan in Canada :redtowel: .. unless you want to share that title :)

Hey guys,any discussion of the biggest Texans fan in Canada has to include me:). I have 2 young children to look after on my days off, so I can't post as much as I would like. But it's great that there are more of us everyday. I'm really excited about this coming season. I would like to see 6-8 wins, hopefully more. I see a strong 2nd half of the season with vast improvement as the season goes on. Next year will be the big breakthrough with 10+ wins:yahoo:
Enjoy the Winnipeg-Toronto game btw. I would have liked to see Ricky Williams too, but Ottawa just lost their team. That's okay, I'm a Texans fan first and foremost.

texansfanquecaneh
05-31-2006, 03:43 PM
alot of yall didnt hear what former CFL QB, Joe Thiesmann said about ricky williams, him talking like that pissed me off.

here are acouple things that he said

Joe said he was embarrassed to play for toronto
ricky doesnt deserve to play football
ricky is a drug addict
ricky is a bad person
and that toronto is stupid for signing him just to sell tickets

and he just repeated those things like 3 times

it made me mad, because he doesn't no jack about ricky and he goes out and says that stuff. calling him a drug addict

but i need yall to clear this up for me

i thought steriods were worse than marijuanna?

but what do i know, i dont play football

if yall dont already know, but the CFL doesnt have a drug policy, and there are alot of players that use steriods

This brings back memories. I remember watching Joe Thiesmann's first game in the CFL. My dad said this kid would be a star. He did have a good career, but I believe it was more because he was at the right place at the right time than because of pure talent.
I wouldn't worry about his comments. He only played in Toronto for 2 years and then he was gone. Toronto made it to the Grey Cup the first year but lost, and got beaten in the east the 2nd year.
I always felt that he left early when the going was good because had he waited another 2 years or so, his value would have dropped in the eyes of the NFL GM's. IMO he was surpassed by Chuck Ealey (the Hamilton QB) the second year. That young man should have been given a shot at the NFL.
Reguardless, Toronto slipped like a rock in the standings the next few years,
and Thiesmann's stock would have dropped as well. Sure he won a Super Bowl, but would anybody remember him had he played in Tampa Bay or New Orleans? He just happened to be at the right place at the right time.
I was always a fan of Warren Moon. Warren had more class than Thiesmann- it isn't even close. He lead Edmonton to 5 titles and he left for completely different reasons. He completed all he could in Edmonton. He had nothing left to do there. It was time for him to move on.
As for Joe Thiesmann, he got lucky enough to play in for a perennial contender in the NFL. I always wondered how he ended up with Washington. He could have ended up with a much weaker team, and then nobody would care what he says.

Double Barrel
05-31-2006, 05:41 PM
Man, this is just another step towards Ricky's eventual Celebrity Boxing match. :boxing:

I wish him the best. I've never had any ill will towards the dude.

Although, I am a bit disappointed, as I believed him when he first quit and said it was because he didn't want to end up like Earl Campbell. I'm more inclined to believe that it's about weed than possible football injuries now. :hmmm:

Hulk75
05-31-2006, 06:11 PM
whatever hes the one that got him in this mess in the first place
And is still trying, money or not football is second nature to him and I dont care what anyone says he likes to play.