PDA

View Full Version : Doering released

Paragon Blue
05-26-2006, 03:11 PM
per KFFL
Texans | Doering released
Fri, 26 May 2006 10:41:51 -0700

HoustonTexans.com reports the Houston Texans have released WR Chris Doering.
I know it's not a big deal but it has to do with the Texans and I'm bored!!

El Tejano
05-26-2006, 03:15 PM
C'mon Derrick Lewis!!!!!! Hey I'm from Austin and he played for the Wranglers.

Meloy
05-26-2006, 03:37 PM
and I spent all that time yesterday reading the thread about how he was rated as a receiver. Drats!

marroncito
05-26-2006, 04:50 PM
so how long will he stay as #3 on the depth chart? :P

TexanFan881
06-06-2006, 08:27 PM
Here's a little more on the situation rather than him just being released.

http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060606/GATORS01/206060348/-1/sports

Wide receiver Chris Doering, who recently un-retired to make a comeback attempt with the Houston Texans, asked for his release from the team last week.

Doering, who has eight NFL seasons to his credit, said the numbers situation at wide receiver with the Texans wasn't favorable and he was tired of leaving his wife and two children every week to make the commute from Gainesville to Houston to work out with the team.

"I decided to go ahead and ask for my release," said the former P.K. Yonge star who holds the UF career record for touchdown receptions with 31. "It was good to be able to tell my kids I wasn't leaving any more on Sunday nights. It was nice to have the decision in my hands."

Doering said he was performing well in workouts and fielding many questions from the young receivers trying to make the roster.

"It was kind of cool to help some of these young guys out," he said. "I think I earned their respect the way I ran routes. It was nice to go out and feel like I can still compete."

During his NFL career, Doering, who was drafted by Jacksonville, played for Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Denver, Washington and Pittsburgh.

I'm glad to see he can go home happily to his family and that they care so much to him. It's nice to see he was being looked up to by the younger guys. Too bad he's gone.

Texans_Chick
06-06-2006, 08:42 PM
Doering said he was performing well in workouts and fielding many questions from the young receivers trying to make the roster.

"It was kind of cool to help some of these young guys out," he said. "I think I earned their respect the way I ran routes. It was nice to go out and feel like I can still compete."

Shanahan really emphasizes proper route running to make the offense work. He says that athletic WR can get away with being a little sloppy with it, but even if you are slow, if you can run a tight route, you can get separation. For the purposes of the offense, hands and excellent route running beat just plain speed.

An example he gave was Randy Moss--athletic WR but crap route runner. He can get away with it because he is a freak.

In general, he was saying that as a guy stays in the league a while, and his athletic skills diminish, if he is still a sloppy route runner, he won't be able to play. (IIRC, the route running is what he really liked about Walters).

Article is nice in how it suggests how more experienced receivers can help younger ones.