PDA

View Full Version : Think about the multi-dimentional value of us having Mario Williams

GP
05-26-2006, 12:51 AM
Think about it. It was said that Bush would bring us so many options because he could be utilized as a running back, and as a wide receiver....that we could put him in the backfield and then sprint him out to WR, thus blowing the minds of defensive coordinators.

Well, I think Mario Williams brings that same aspect of multiple "options" to our defensive playcalling, allowing us to keep offenses guessing.

Mario can line up at DE or further inside. What if Mario lines up at DE, and then half-way through the QB's cadence Mario switches with someone at the tackle spot? The QB thought Mario was lining up at DE to rush from the outside edge, and the QB (Manning?) sees mario at DE and calls an audible from a pass to a run to avoid Mario.......but Mario switches after the Qb calls the audible and thus switches with a tackle and lines up further inside in anticipation of the offense's audible.

And the QB has only a few seconds to snap the ball, and the QB thinks "Oh, crud. What do we do now?" It disrupts the flow of the other team's offense. Especially if you creep up a LB and/or some DBs in an effort to "sell" what looks like a defense preparing for the run.......but the snap occurs, and the LBs and DBs fall back into a short zone or attack the ball carrier if the QB doesn't re-audible back into a pass play. Even so, it just makes it tough on offensive coordinators to know for sure what play to call (or to audible to) because Mario can rush the edge AND/OR stuff the run. He's just as mulit-dimentional as Bush has been made out to be.

The Steelers used Troy Palomaulo the same way...they'd creep him up to the line as if he was going to blitz, then he'd pop back several steps, then he'd creep up again, then he'd run over to the other side of the line and put a hand down on the turf at the end of the line, or he'd jog back into a coverage spot. He just boggled the minds of QBs and offensive coordinators, much in the same way Manning freaked out defenses by yelling and waving his hands when none of it probably meant anything at all.

Well, I think we got ourselves a potential game changer on defense because of this same type of ability.

So many options..................

TexansTrueFan
05-26-2006, 12:55 AM
yeah good post, it was a lil confusing to keep up with, but i get ya drift. MW is a very versitle player.

Runner
05-26-2006, 01:17 AM
Multi-dimensional is well and good, but I think during his rookie year Williams will stick to a single position for the vast majority of plays while he develops NFL technique against NFL talent.

I'd expect more fancy stuff in the following years, or late in year one after he's proven himself.

TexansTrueFan
05-26-2006, 01:28 AM
honestly i dont care where on the D-line he plays as long as we/he is getting some pressure on their QB, and our secondary wont get shredded every game.

Meloy
05-26-2006, 03:58 PM
Wasn't Lawrence Taylor allowed to move around a little also? Never knew where he was coming from. I can see Williams doing this and over occasionally to BOP a tight end trying to come out.

Bearfan Blue and Orange
05-26-2006, 05:23 PM
Multi-dimensional is well and good, but I think during his rookie year Williams will stick to a single position for the vast majority of plays while he develops NFL technique against NFL talent.

I'd expect more fancy stuff in the following years, or late in year one after he's proven himself.

Kube has already said that he will play all four positions this season.

CloakNNNdagger
05-26-2006, 05:28 PM
Wasn't Lawrence Taylor allowed to move around a little also? Never knew where he was coming from. I can see Williams doing this and over occasionally to BOP a tight end trying to come out.

It was almost that he pushed offenses to be grudgingly multidimensional. It's probably more accurate to say that offenses moved around for LT. This was written right after his right achilles tendon rupture occured:

__________________________________________________ _______________

For 12 seasons, the Giants had Lawrence Taylor, and for 12 seasons, opposing offenses used a great deal of energy to worry about him. "The offenses never allowed a back to block him one on one, ever," the linebackers' coach, Dave Brazil, explained today. But now the Giants will be without that leverage, and will have to adjust.
__________________________________________________ _

Let's hope that Mario forces offenses to be multidimensional all over the place.:ninja:

GP
05-26-2006, 05:34 PM
Yeah, it's been said that Mario is going to be utilized in different spots.

That's what got me to thinking that we could have actually made (perhaps) the best decision a team drafting at No. 1 has had to make, under the amount of pressure and scrutiny that existed.

Teams have drafted the sexy guy so often, at the top of the first round, and how much has that really paid off? Ask Tim Couch and the Browns.

IMO, the hype machine that is known as ESPN and the rest of the sports media "could" be influencing a lot of bad draft choices with how they pick a few guys and then tout them all year 24-7.

Freeney's out there demanding to not just be the top-paid defensive end...but to be the top paid PLAYER in the NFL. The Colts are on the verge of imploding under the weight of cutting Edgerrin James, spending a ton of money on a QB and a WR, and now looking at dealing with yet another star player who will be demanding to be paid MORE than Manning. I see the Colts winning the AFC South this year, but not as easily as they have in the past, and then dropping like a rock next season. I see the Jags and the Texans becoming the two top teams in the South (not this year, but the next) with the Colts and Titans paying for their ways for a few years. It's all a cycle, and it's about to come full circle if you ask me. Again, not this year, but definitely the next year.

Glad we got ourselves a multi-dimentional guy like Mario who can pound the QB or RB. I admit I didn't want him as bad as I wanted Bush...but hey, I guess I can be wrong ONE time. :rolleyes:

Runner
05-26-2006, 06:44 PM
Kube has already said that he will play all four positions this season.

Still, the vast majority will be at strongside end. IMO.

Unless they switch him primarily to weakside end for some reason, then he will spend most plays there.

I just don't think he'll be moving around every 2-3 plays.

Dime
05-26-2006, 08:15 PM
if Mario is at least 1/2 has good as freeny, this gives our offense a person of size and tween of Freeny to test how they hold up. The better our D-line, the better our online will get at practice having to face our D

cbnjwill
08-16-2006, 02:08 PM
do u really think the best qb in the game is gonna say oh crud what do we do now because a rookie has switched positions on the line. dont see it..

nunusguy
08-16-2006, 02:55 PM
if Mario is at least 1/2 has good as freeny
No way ! Not acceptable ! Mario had better be atleast 100% as good as
Freeny in terms of his value to our team.
If we were willing to accept 1/2 as good as Freeney, we should have been
able to work out a trade for our #1 where got someone like Tamba Hali for
an edge rusher and a top back like Laurence Mahoney plus 2 or three other picks.

done88
08-16-2006, 03:22 PM
The best way to disrupt Manning is using the sholder pads. Its hard for him to throw or hand off from his back. One way or anoter if the defense hits Manning we wi1ll be happy and give the credit to Mario otherwise we call him a bust.

tsip
08-16-2006, 03:28 PM
IMO, there are some very good posts on this thread! First, Mario was drafted to be multi-dimensional, and Kubiak's nature is 'more is better, sooner is even better.' This is what Carr needed from the get go and should benefit from now, someone to teach,motivate, and push him--heck IMO the entire team needs this philosophy! Hopefully, as he learns, Mario will have an impact on those around him but I think Kubiak will not hold him back...

Jacksonvillewolf
08-16-2006, 03:37 PM
This is my first post.....I am from Richlands and have seen Mario grow as a football player over the years and at NCSU.

The Texans still do not understand what they have in that young man. He is still raw and extremely teachable. He will be a force to deal with in the NFL and will change the offensive strategies of teams because they will have to account for him. The players around him will only benefit and get better. Just wait till you see him drop back into a zone blitz situation and run cover the TE or RB out of the backfield. Then, you will have a greater appreciation for what the young man is going to be.

Have a little patience while he learns the needed techniques. By the seasons end, the mild mannered young man will become the monster you expect.

As for off the field, you will have no one represent your team and city with better dignity. His character is very good. He is a good Christian man, enough said.......

I have a new favorite NFL team........THE TEXANS!!!!!

cbnjwill
08-16-2006, 03:43 PM
for sure williams has to be atleast as good as freeney if not better otherwise texans didnt get value out of that pick. im amazed that so many texans fans would accept mario being only a decent player. franchises dont get many first overall picks in the draft when they come along u need to hit a homerun with that pick theres obviously a long season ahead maybe mariio becomes that big time pass rusher they need but if he doesnt texans fans should be prepared to here about it all over the media. for every big bush run or vince highlight play, marios' play will be compared right along with those two guys if he doesnt measure up hes gona get ripped along with the texans by most media outlets. the texans put themselves and mario in a tough spot

El Tejano
08-16-2006, 03:48 PM
The whole comparison of how Williams is versatile for defense like Bush is versatile for offense is what Casserly said.

texflex513
08-16-2006, 03:55 PM
This is my first post.....I am from Richlands and have seen Mario grow as a football player over the years and at NCSU.

The Texans still do not understand what they have in that young man. He is still raw and extremely teachable. He will be a force to deal with in the NFL and will change the offensive strategies of teams because they will have to account for him. The players around him will only benefit and get better. Just wait till you see him drop back into a zone blitz situation and run cover the TE or RB out of the backfield. Then, you will have a greater appreciation for what the young man is going to be.

Have a little patience while he learns the needed techniques. By the seasons end, the mild mannered young man will become the monster you expect.

As for off the field, you will have no one represent your team and city with better dignity. His character is very good. He is a good Christian man, enough said.......

Welcome aboard!

santo
08-16-2006, 03:56 PM

Welcome to the boards! :fireball: :bowser:
and congratulations on becoming a Texan Fan:texans:

Yeah, we're expecting a lot of great things, not only from Mario, but as a team in general. I have confidence that Coach Kubiak will bring it all together....

tsip
08-16-2006, 04:08 PM
for sure williams has to be atleast as good as freeney if not better otherwise texans didnt get value out of that pick. im amazed that so many texans fans would accept mario being only a decent player. franchises dont get many first overall picks in the draft when they come along u need to hit a homerun with that pick theres obviously a long season ahead maybe mariio becomes that big time pass rusher they need but if he doesnt texans fans should be prepared to here about it all over the media. for every big bush run or vince highlight play, marios' play will be compared right along with those two guys if he doesnt measure up hes gona get ripped along with the texans by most media outlets. the texans put themselves and mario in a tough spot

...so does this mean you'll let Mario (young/bush) show us what he can/can't do on the field and not remind us of impending doom on a weekly basis or a post by post basis--after all, he has not even finished his first pre-season yet--can we at least see him in a couple 'real'games before 'judgement' is passed on him....thanks

Vinny
08-16-2006, 04:14 PM
for sure williams has to be atleast as good as freeney if not better otherwise texans didnt get value out of that pick. im amazed that so many texans fans would accept mario being only a decent player. franchises dont get many first overall picks in the draft when they come along u need to hit a homerun with that pick theres obviously a long season ahead maybe mariio becomes that big time pass rusher they need but if he doesnt texans fans should be prepared to here about it all over the media. for every big bush run or vince highlight play, marios' play will be compared right along with those two guys if he doesnt measure up hes gona get ripped along with the texans by most media outlets. the texans put themselves and mario in a tough spotWe do it for another first overall pick...why not Mario? /sarcasm

WILLIEG
08-16-2006, 04:29 PM
Look, we didn't sign the guy over here to be a multi-talented player. First, he should (and the coaches) should focus on him playing at his best in the DE postion that he was originally signed for. Then once he excels a that postion enough where he is causing havov, because he knows how to bull rush, swat/swim, spin, and whatever other technique a great DE masters in the NFL. Then once he gets down these techniques allow him to go inside to the DT postion and really cause a disruptence in offense's ability in reading our defense. He needs to stay at one postion and get better/good/great at it before we start moving him around. We're asking to much from the kid and should allow him to get very good at one postion before we attempt to find out if he can provide the kind of help in another!

Double Barrel
08-16-2006, 04:32 PM
We do it for another first overall pick...why not Mario? /sarcasm

yeah, that Travis Johnson really needs to step up. ;) (edit: just saw "first overall"...whoops! :D)

I like the ideas in this thread about Mario, though. If he's half the player of some of the greats mentioned, we've got a dude that can/will help us to the Promiseland (or a winning record, at least).

But we've got to temper our expectations of him this season. I really think we need to keep his rookieness in perspective, because the DE position really takes a couple of years to learn in the NFL. You've got o-linemen that have been doing it for a decade, and they know how to play inexperienced defensive players.

Give MW 2-3 years in this league, and we can expect great things at that point. We'll probably see glimpses of his potential greatness this season, but we've got to keep it real.

Texans_Chick
08-16-2006, 04:39 PM

Welcome.

I think the Texans know what they have with him. That's why they picked him first.

It is just that a lot of the casual fans in Houston don't know much about him. We were inundated with Reggie and Vince hype and there were few stories about Mario. After the pick, a very little bit was said about him and then the writers either went on vacation or went back to writing about baseball.

Anyhow, here's some information that you might find interesting:

The ultimate Mario Williams compendium. (http://http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2006/06/the_ultimate_mario_williams_co_1.html#comments)

Mario Williams compendium, part II (http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2006/06/mario_williams_compendium_part_1.html)

Mario Williams: Media hackery and myths (http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2006/07/mario_williams_media_hackery_a_1.html)

Preaseason hysteria: Mario v. Reggie comparisons (http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2006/08/preseason_hysteria_mario_v_reg_1.html)

If you read these things, you might be able to tell that I am fairly critical about the media coverage of the Mario Williams pick. From most accounts, he is a good guy, a gifted athlete, with an amazing college career. The kinda guy that most folks want to root for.

Any NFL team in the league would be happy to have him, yet because he was drafted number one and maybe busted up some draft boards, some people don't even want to give him a chance to succeed before they are dogging him.

I'm glad you are a new Texans fan. The team has a lot of quality character guys on it, and is a team that is nice to root for.

:texflag:

HJam72
08-16-2006, 06:30 PM
Look, we didn't sign the guy over here to be a multi-talented player. First, he should (and the coaches) should focus on him playing at his best in the DE postion that he was originally signed for. Then once he excels a that postion enough where he is causing havov, because he knows how to bull rush, swat/swim, spin, and whatever other technique a great DE masters in the NFL. Then once he gets down these techniques allow him to go inside to the DT postion and really cause a disruptence in offense's ability in reading our defense. He needs to stay at one postion and get better/good/great at it before we start moving him around. We're asking to much from the kid and should allow him to get very good at one postion before we attempt to find out if he can provide the kind of help in another!

From what I've heard, he's better at DT right now because he bullrushes far better than anything else. At the DE position he gets doubled, runs around too far and gets behind the play, or both. It seems that he helps the team more right now as a DT, but I totally get with what you're saying in the long run. I think they should continue to move him around untill and unless he establishes himself as much better at DE than he is at DT, which may eventually happen--or he may just keep getting better and better at both.

Did he ever get a chance to play RDE (pass-rushing DE on the weak-side)? I think they should at least look at him there, because that is his thing, despite having Peek and Babin.

tsip
08-16-2006, 06:53 PM
We do it for another first overall pick...why not Mario? /sarcasm

This is so true and a person has to wonder why they'll give 'you know who' 4 plus years (with all the asst excuses) to try and show what he can do, but they won't let Mario out of the 'starting blocks' before they label him a 'bust.' What's up with that?

HJam72
08-16-2006, 07:16 PM
This is so true and a person has to wonder why they'll give 'you know who' 4 plus years (with all the asst excuses) to try and show what he can do, but they won't let Mario out of the 'starting blocks' before they label him a 'bust.' What's up with that?

Carr has shown flashes of success over the years. Mario has not, mainly because he's had only 11 plays to do it. The biggest difference, though, is that Mario has the reputation and flashiness of Bush to deal with. It's all hype-driven. Now, that covers the media, but, if you're talking about the Texans, they are giving both a chance and I'm sure that Carr's job is more in question than Mario's right now. If the Texans coaching staff and up were questioning Mario this way, then throwing out the "Carr sucks" argument would be legitimate, but it's only the media that questions Mario as the first pick, while not questioning Carr as much. That's all about Bush and Young. Carr didn't get selected over Bush and Young, he just got selected over a bunch of other people that the media has forgotten when they were drafted.

In summation, the media is a hype-driven machine made up of complete idiots. :)

Wolf
08-16-2006, 08:02 PM
do u really think the best qb in the game is gonna say oh crud what do we do now because a rookie has switched positions on the line. dont see it..

no actually the dialect is

Manning: Good morning, gentlemen, the temperature is 110 degrees.
Carr: Holy *****, it's Manning!
Ryan: Manning's up here, great... oh *****...
Mario Williams: Great, he's probably saying, "Holy *****, it's Williams and Ryan."
Ryan: Yeah, I'm sure he's saying that.

Top Gun quotes (names where changed to protect the innocent in an NFL game)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092099/quotes

jdog
08-16-2006, 08:39 PM
I'm sick of the Bush/Williams stuff too. Mario is a great defensive prospect. We needed help on defense and in the pass rush specifically. We addressed most of our offensive needs with the new coaching staff in my opinion.

Bush is a great football player. He is amazingly athletic and quick. But what are the substantive reasons why he must be selected first regardless of specific team needs? Without a salary cap, yes, I think you draft Bush. Then you take your unlimited supply of money and you buy your favorite players from the Pro Bowl. Then you wake up and realize part of the game today is working within a "budget" even if you are Jerry Jones.

If for some reason a successful organization like New England had the first pick, I do not think they would have picked Bush if it was not a need. If your glaring need is a running back and you see Reggie Bush on the board, you probably take him. But if your offense is based on pounding the ball up the middle, do you take him? Do you change everything for a promising rookie? Not if you are a successful organization or interested in becoming one.

HJam72
08-16-2006, 09:43 PM
Without a salary cap, yes, I think you draft Bush. Then you take your unlimited supply of money and you buy your favorite players from the Pro Bowl. Then you wake up and realize part of the game today is working within a "budget" even if you are Jerry Jones.

You hit the nail on the head right there. We can't pay for all the best players at every position and runningback is just not a #1 pick anymore, unless maybe it's someone who will make Bush type moves to fake out a few defenders while carrying two others on his back.

Insideop
08-16-2006, 11:54 PM

I think you're getting the "they's" mixed up. The one "they" you talk about is the coaches/organization giving Carr the "4 plus years (with all the asst excuses)." The other "they" you talk about is the media/fans who "won't let Mario out of the starting blocks before they label him a bust."

I don't think I've ever heard the coaches/organization call Mario a "bust" and, I think "they" will give him and all the other new players plenty of time to develop. I even think "they" will give time for the older players to develop using the new schemes. JMHO! :gotexans1

phan1
08-17-2006, 04:53 AM
I really like the fact that the coaches are already putting him everywhere on that Dline. It's all about finding some sort of mismatch, and if Mario can do that up and down that Dline, it would be really great for us.

jmerog
08-20-2006, 07:10 AM

Welcome to the board.