PDA

View Full Version : Looking Ahead - 2007 Draft

HeartofHouston
05-25-2006, 05:19 PM
I know it's a little pre-mature for this topic to even be posted but I'm bored and I was just curious and what you guys think..

Okay 2007 Draft who do you see us going after with our 1st Round Pick??

Me personally i have a couple of situational picks...

-----
1 - Lets just say that david Carr doesnt pan out well in this offense or for some reason just cant pick it up.. then likely we'll have a top 10 pick.

We should be taking a long look at Brady Quinn (Notre Dame) or Brian Brohm (Louisville).. If David Carr is struggling or is not picking up the offense using the high first rounder on one of these guys will let Carr know that either: "You Get With The Program or You're Outta Here" and it could either ignite a fire under Carr that gives him a Drew Brees "resurrection" season...

or it could eat away at him and if that's the case we have our QB of the future that was been learning the system and coming along slowly ready to get into the starting lineup and David Carr is now trade bait and I know for sure that we can get something on the first day for a very tough smart QB David Carr.
-----
2 - If things turn out a little better and it's not Carr's Fault let's just say that it was the defense that just wasnt coming along for whatever reason. We end up with a middle to late 1st round pick.. Then we have a few options..

S LaRon Landry (LSU) or CB Leon Hall (Mich) or S Brandon Merriweather (The U) or CB Daymeion Hughes (Cal) any of these guys could be a upgrade over our DBs (minus D-Rob). Landry is back for his senior year.. he was already considered the best safety last year, now imagine if he stays healthy he could end up being better this year. Leon Hall was crowned by Michigan coaches as the best Defensive Player since Charles Woodson left the program.

Our 2nd Cornerback position is looking a little iffy and we could bring one of these guys in and have them fight it out with Faggins or McKenzie for the spot. At the Safety position Glenn Earl has been solid for us so the SS is not a need so we go to FS where Merriwheather has been an absolute monster since Sean Taylor left the position.
---

3 - Lets just say for some reason the running game is just not adding up for some reason (which is highly unlikely- "come on it's Coack Kube's system) or let's say that DD cant stay healthy again but we end up in the middle to lower half of the first round.. because of good Qb and good defense..

Micheal Bush (Louisville), Marshawn Lynch (Cal) and Antonio Pittman (OSU - Jr) could possibly fall to the middle-late first. Bush is an absolute Monster at 6'3 248lbs and runs a 4.53 this guy could absolutely punish LB and DBs when they come in for the tackle. Bush hits the hole with authority. Lynch is a not as big but he is smart and instinctive. Antonio Pittman is FAST... he doesnt do a lot of dancing he just gets the ball and runs right pass people.
---

4 - Finally lets say that everything turns out well we end up with the bottom quarter of the first round.. we could trade out of the first and pick up and extra 2nd and 3rd.

2 - OT Gosder Cherilus (BC), CB Fred Bennett (SCSU)
3 - HB Tyrone Moss (The U) and BPA

We could possibly still add starters and add depth by doing this in the up and coming draft..

-------

Once again I know this is pre-mature. But just for laughs and giggles and to keep our eyes open on the up and coming talent.. what do you guys think?.. who would you like to see as a Texan??

Bamaborn-Texasbred
05-25-2006, 05:22 PM
There is no way I can wrap my head around next year's draft right now. There are entirely too many variables involved.

HeartofHouston
05-25-2006, 05:30 PM
I can understand that like I said it's just for those few people who think WAYYYYY ahead..

real
05-25-2006, 05:40 PM
maybe the thread shoulda been called...College players to watch

hot pickle
05-25-2006, 05:42 PM
im just gonna list acouple players that i think would be a good pick

Justin Blalock
Adrian Peterson
Marshawn Lynch
LaRon Landry

The Pick that I think would benefit the texans most right now is
MICHAEL GRIFFIN

Brian Dawkins comparison

Bullpen Drew
05-25-2006, 05:44 PM
Already???

swtbound07
05-25-2006, 05:57 PM
there is a wide reciever out of georgia tech that i like

bigbrewster2000
05-25-2006, 06:07 PM
there is a wide reciever out of georgia tech that i like
His name is Calvin Johnson and wll likely be a Top 5-10 pick, so hopfully we won't be in any position to draft him.

Texas
05-25-2006, 06:12 PM
This needs to go in a different section...Comeon people its common sense :hunter:

TEXANRED
05-25-2006, 06:15 PM
This thread is bad luck. We started talking about picking first after we lost to Buffalo...............

Double Barrel
05-25-2006, 06:17 PM
I can understand that like I said it's just for those few people who think WAYYYYY ahead..

Man, I can't even think far enough ahead to know what I'll have for dinner. No way could I wrap my brain around the 2007 draft. Smoke starts coming out of my ears when I tried. :spy:

swtbound07
05-25-2006, 06:19 PM
I dont share most of the boards optimism about our record...5-11 strikes me as about right, so i think this will be our last year of high draft picks for awhile...but i expect top 10 in 06

PapaL
05-25-2006, 07:48 PM
All I can say is no QB in first 3-4 rounds. Every other position is fair game. No need to "invest" another large amount of cash into a first day QB, when success shows that it is not a prerequisite for success.

awtysst
05-25-2006, 09:40 PM
This is a tough thing for me to do for a number of factors.
1. I dont know what positions the Texans will NEED next year. At the moment CB/S looks to be a good place to go, but who knows maybe we will have a strong Db group. You dont know till we get on the field and play.

2. I dont know WHERE the Texans will be picking. If there is a need position and the guy is a top 5 pick and we are a teens pick, we likley wont get him,

3. i have no idea where the texans Might be pickin. Who knows what our record will be and where we will finish.

Becuase of these reasons I find it hard to say who we should be looking at right now. See me in a few months.

LORK 88
05-25-2006, 10:41 PM
Im just going to throw it out there right now: LaRon Landry or Michael Griffin. For some reason, I see CC Brown and Glenn Earl battling for the SS spot and us drafting a starting FS.

YoungTexanFan
05-25-2006, 10:53 PM
I feel fairly safe saying that there are only three positions I want the Texans to address at this point. MLB, WR, FS.

WR is very deep next year with Jarrett, Johnson, and Smith headlining that group. There will be some very pleasent surprises that arise throughout the year.

MLB is an average group right now IMO. Plouz is recovering from injury, and there are about 2 or 3 other top 40 MLB's this year, but I don't know their names yet.

FS is deep for its position, but not as deep as this past year. Merriwether and Landry headline the group, and both are top talents.

I can actually see Kubiak going WR next year if we have a top 12 pick. In Denver, they drafted a lot of WR's. Granted they were searching for a legitimate #1, but having a Calvin Johnson/Dwayne Jarrett combined with AJ is unfare. Imagine Arrizona's WR's, then think better. Moulds should be on his way out, but the Rookie could easily play back-up for a year until Moulds can't go anymore.

beerlover
05-25-2006, 11:35 PM
I would not count Moulds out for at least the next two-three years, WR is just not a need anymore. I do agree however a premier FS, MLB or CB would all be options depending on where the Texans finish and who is available when they pick.

Defensive/Offensive lines should be set, as well as the offensive skilled positions. Carr is our QB get used to it :cool: so the emphasis will still be on building a championship defense, standby lets see how effective the 4-3 is and the players entrusted to run it :fireball:

TexanFan881
05-25-2006, 11:44 PM
Im just going to throw it out there right now: LaRon Landry or Michael Griffin. For some reason, I see CC Brown and Glenn Earl battling for the SS spot and us drafting a starting FS.

I think we would have drafted Ko Simpson in the 4th this year if Kubes felt we really needed a safety, but if not everything goes right back there than I would love to have any of those two.

mexican_texan
05-25-2006, 11:54 PM
With the 32nd pick in the draft, the Houston Texans select Paul Poluzny, LB Penn St.

TexanFan881
05-25-2006, 11:55 PM
With the 32nd pick in the draft, the Houston Texans select Paul Poluzny, LB Penn St.

That would be a really good pick for us if he falls that far.

kastofsna
05-26-2006, 10:09 AM
2007 is the best safety draft ever. anthony reddick, laron landry, brandon meriweather, will herring, michael griffin, zach catanese...that's just FS. over at SS you got zbikowski, eric weddle, jesse daniels, marcus paschal...

YoungTexanFan
05-26-2006, 10:46 AM
2007 is the best safety draft ever. anthony reddick, laron landry, brandon meriweather, will herring, michael griffin, zach catanese...that's just FS. over at SS you got zbikowski, eric weddle, jesse daniels, marcus paschal...

zbikowski is actually another FS.

However, many of those guys will not go very high in the draft.

The talent level compared to last years FS's is down.

Whittner, Huff, J. Williams, Bullocks, Simpson...thats just about half, but that group trounces any group to come out for a long time.

MorKnolle
05-26-2006, 10:53 AM
im just gonna list acouple players that i think would be a good pick

Justin Blalock
Adrian Peterson
Marshawn Lynch
LaRon Landry

The Pick that I think would benefit the texans most right now is
MICHAEL GRIFFIN

Brian Dawkins comparison

At this point in time I don't really have any recommendations for the 2007 draft, just throwing out my opinion on what others have posted.

You list some nice players but I don't see some of them coming here. Adrian Peterson was my favorite RB in college football over the last two years, but if we were willing to pass of Reggie Bush and get lesser-known RBs (as Denver and Kubiak have always done), I don't see them taking Peterson either. If the team somehow is that bad next year (I don't see us having a pick higher than #10 in the draft) then it probably won't be because of our running game, as we have Domanick Davis (almost a 3-time 1000 rusher although he has durability concerns), Vernand Morency is looking pretty nice, Antowain Smith is looking pretty nice (although a little old), and Wali Lundy has looked pretty good thusfar, plus Jameel Cook and Quadtrine Hill are pretty nice FBs for our system. I'm sure they will add another player or two at RB for depth/competition in camp like Denver's always done, but I don't expect it to be Peterson.

I also don't see Blalock happening, he looks like a very nice OT right now but we just drafted Eric Winston and Charles Spencer. I expect Winston will be starting by mid-season if not earlier, Spencer could be ready to start at the end of this year, plus we still have Wand, Wiegert, and Pitts that can all play one of the OT positions, so I don't expect to see us use that high of a pick on another OT next year.

Landry would be nice, and DBs is probably going to be our biggest weakspot this year, although I still think it will be better with our new system and a nice front seven, don't know much about Lynch or Griffin. I think getting a better #2 CB is our biggest concern at this moment as Faggins is not athletic enough to keep up with opposing teams top WRs and Buchanon still doesn't like to hit people, although it sounds like he is covering people a little better than last year, and the improved DLine should help as he won't have to cover people as long and should hopefully be able to use his athleticism to break on poorly-thrown balls.

I dont share most of the boards optimism about our record...5-11 strikes me as about right, so i think this will be our last year of high draft picks for awhile...but i expect top 10 in 06

We have a pretty difficult schedule this coming year but I expect us to be in the 6-7 win range, and I would not at all be surprised to see us win more and be in the playoff hunt down to the end of the year, although I don't expect us to make the playoffs yet.

real
05-26-2006, 10:55 AM
That would be a really good pick for us if he falls that far.

Not to mention the Super bowl win

MorKnolle
05-26-2006, 10:58 AM
I would not count Moulds out for at least the next two-three years, WR is just not a need anymore. I do agree however a premier FS, MLB or CB would all be options depending on where the Texans finish and who is available when they pick.

Defensive/Offensive lines should be set, as well as the offensive skilled positions. Carr is our QB get used to it :cool: so the emphasis will still be on building a championship defense, standby lets see how effective the 4-3 is and the players entrusted to run it :fireball:

I think Moulds will be a solid player for us for the next three years (should be a very good one for at least two of those), but I would go ahead and start looking for our future #2 next draft since WRs generally take a year or two to become good, unless of course they feel Kevin Walter is going to be their future #2.

Panther5407
05-26-2006, 11:20 AM
I'm surprised I haven't seen Ted Ginn mentioned (I may have gone over it without noticing). How great would it be to have a formation of Andre and Moulds on the sides with Ginn in the slot.

Kaiser Toro
05-26-2006, 12:13 PM
No to Brady Quinn regardless if Carr pans out or not. Waste of money to spend dollars on a well paid asset to sit the bench.

real
05-26-2006, 12:26 PM
No to Brady Quinn regardless if Carr pans out or not. Waste of money to spend dollars on a well paid asset to sit the bench.

So you think that even if Carr Sucks, and if we had the chance to get Quinn or whoever emerges as the premier QB next yr, that we should not draft them...??? I don't understand that at all...

Kaiser Toro
05-26-2006, 12:44 PM
So you think that even if Carr Sucks, and if we had the chance to get Quinn or whoever emerges as the premier QB next yr, that we should not draft them...??? I don't understand that at all...

I am not big on the high priced QB out of college. Many think I am a Carr hater, but in actuality I just am every conservative when it comes to spending dollars on unproven talent at a very complicated position.

real
05-26-2006, 12:53 PM
I am not big on the high priced QB out of college. Many think I am a Carr hater, but in actuality I just am every conservative when it comes to spending dollars on unproven talent at a very complicated position.

Thats not a carr-hating statement at all...It sounds more like Carr apologist...but I think that if Carr doesn't do well this year, and if we don't make any trades or signings for a replacement b4 the draft, then we have no choice but to look QB in the 1st rd...

Kaiser Toro
05-26-2006, 01:01 PM
Thats not a carr-hating statement at all...It sounds more like Carr apologist...but I think that if Carr doesn't do well this year, and if we don't make any trades or signings for a replacement b4 the draft, then we have no choice but to look QB in the 1st rd...

I disagree from an opinion standpoint. I would like to bring in a journeyman and spend a 2nd or 3rd on a QB. If Kubiak is as good as I, and most think he is, he should not need a first round QB. I have always been of the ilk that Kubiak is a player development guy. Do I have any data on that feeling, nope. But he has been around success for a long time.

real
05-26-2006, 01:13 PM
I disagree from an opinion standpoint. I would like to bring in a journeyman and spend a 2nd or 3rd on a QB. If Kubiak is as good as I, and most think he is, he should not need a first round QB. I have always been of the ilk that Kubiak is a player development guy. Do I have any data on that feeling, nope. But he has been around success for a long time.

1) What positions SHOULD be taken in the first since you don't belive in drafting QB's there...

2) If a QB were to come out and be the BPA, and you have a need for a Qb and you are in a position to grab em...you don't take em??

3) What if there is a tremendous drop off in talent between the qb and the next guy...do you still go with the next guy???

real
05-26-2006, 01:17 PM

So our offense should be made up of second tier and reject players, and lets hope our fearless leader Kubes can turn em around?? and in the meanwhile we'll just fork over all the first rounders on defense and have super D...:superman: ....kubiak may be a good coach and all, but i would imagine he wouldn't sell himself short by passing up premier players in spots he needs just to prove that.

El Tejano
05-26-2006, 01:26 PM
I think Moulds will be a solid player for us for the next three years (should be a very good one for at least two of those), but I would go ahead and start looking for our future #2 next draft since WRs generally take a year or two to become good, unless of course they feel Kevin Walter is going to be their future #2.
I wonder if the Broncos offense does alot to preserve the career's of WR. I know Mcaffrey played for a while and Rod Smith is old but still churning butter.

El Tejano
05-26-2006, 01:32 PM
I'm surprised I haven't seen Ted Ginn mentioned (I may have gone over it without noticing). How great would it be to have a formation of Andre and Moulds on the sides with Ginn in the slot.
I think Teddy Ginn will be one guy that goes too early for us hopefully. Even at that though, I believe he only comes to us if Mathis doesn't cut it this year.

As for going QB in the first if Carr bites big ones this year, I am all for it. Just because you draft a QB first round doesn't mean you start him. What it does mean is that we can do this right for once. You allow David Carr to continue to be the starter and let the rookie sit and learn. The following year you put the #1 up for grabs. If Carr still wins we have a 1st round second stringer, If he losses, we have a veteran 2nd stringer. Then the next year you let Carr go.

YoungTexanFan
05-26-2006, 01:43 PM
I think Teddy Ginn will be one guy that goes too early for us hopefully. Even at that though, I believe he only comes to us if Mathis doesn't cut it this year.

Teddy Ginn is one fast mo-fo, but I don't want him on the Texans. He is too flash and relys only on his speed. His routes are poor and his hands are questionable. He is Mathis at a much better known school.

Kaiser Toro
05-26-2006, 01:46 PM
1) What positions SHOULD be taken in the first since you don't belive in drafting QB's there...

2) If a QB were to come out and be the BPA, and you have a need for a Qb and you are in a position to grab em...you don't take em??

3) What if there is a tremendous drop off in talent between the qb and the next guy...do you still go with the next guy???

In professional sports players get paid to perform, not to sit. When you invest in someone in the NFL, which has a career expectancy of 4 years, you must get a return on investment immediately. The QB position, is one where a kid out of college should sit right away to learn the intricacies of the game. I just prefer for it not be on favorite team's dime.

Kaiser Toro
05-26-2006, 01:47 PM
So our offense should be made up of second tier and reject players, and lets hope our fearless leader Kubes can turn em around?? and in the meanwhile we'll just fork over all the first rounders on defense and have super D....

Never said that.

real
05-26-2006, 02:05 PM

Never said that.

So what are you saying? Don't spend first round talent on QB's because?
Any position is possibly subject to having to wait a yr? I just don't understand your logic of not getting the best qb possible if that is one of your needs? Why would you pass the best Qb/player to get a lesser one later in the draft?

kastofsna
05-26-2006, 02:39 PM
zbikowski is actually another FS.

However, many of those guys will not go very high in the draft.

The talent level compared to last years FS's is down.

Whittner, Huff, J. Williams, Bullocks, Simpson...thats just about half, but that group trounces any group to come out for a long time.
zbikowksi is actually a SS.

please, those guys have nothing on this class. huff is above everyone in '07, but the rest? nothing. jimmy williams is a CB. reddick, meriweather, landry, griffin have 1st round grades right now.

YoungTexanFan
05-26-2006, 02:51 PM
zbikowksi is actually a SS.

please, those guys have nothing on this class. huff is above everyone in '07, but the rest? nothing. jimmy williams is a CB. reddick, meriweather, landry, griffin have 1st round grades right now.

Nobody has any grades right now. The only FS's that will have a deffinite 1st round grade is Landry. Meriweather is a tweaner, and griffen should have a second round grade. Huff, Williams, Whittner, and Simpson are all above landry in terms of talent and ability.

Zbikowksi is a FS from ND who has excellent speed, is great at PR, but lacks most every other natural instinct you look for in a FS.

kastofsna
05-26-2006, 02:55 PM
landry is the clearcut #1 safety right now, and is a top 10 talent. listing simpson or whitner ahead of him is absurd.

zbikowski played SS last year, and has all the earmarks of an NFL SS. there's nothing about him that says FS.

Kaiser Toro
05-26-2006, 02:56 PM
So what are you saying? Don't spend first round talent on QB's because?
Any position is possibly subject to having to wait a yr? I just don't understand your logic of not getting the best qb possible if that is one of your needs? Why would you pass the best Qb/player to get a lesser one later in the draft?

I feel like I am in a Ratt video right now.

YoungTexanFan
05-26-2006, 03:25 PM
landry is the clearcut #1 safety right now, and is a top 10 talent. listing simpson or whitner ahead of him is absurd.

zbikowski played SS last year, and has all the earmarks of an NFL SS. there's nothing about him that says FS.

Landry will not go top 10. He would have been lucky to go top 40 this year. He will be a first rounder though. Whitner, who went #8 is better. Simpson, who I feel is the second best FS drafted, went in the fourth because of attitude problems in his interview. That has nothing to do with his football ability. Lawson played DE last year, but he's playing OLB now. People can change positions for the NFL.

El Tejano
05-26-2006, 03:28 PM
Okay if we are talking receiver. I want the Kwodlccwkzz(however you spell it) kid from Notre Dame. Has length, speed and good hands. Possession kind of guy.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/football/ncaa/aa/final/samardzija.jpg

This kid. Samardzija.

Here is a better pick.

http://armchairirish.com/uploaded_images/apcacunrr_usc_notre_dame_1ac5p-lg-725222.jpeg

LORK 88
05-26-2006, 03:56 PM
Time to pull the homer card! If we go WR, I would like to see us use a 2nd or 3rd on a fellow Red Raider, Jarrett Hicks. He's got major size, can go get the ball, has great hands, and can create after the catch. His only question is speed, but if he can run a low 4.5, high 4.4 he'll be fine.

Also, Simpson went in the 4th because oflack of experience and he scored an 8 on the wonderlic (or something low). Thats not the best help, especially when S is supposed to be the QB of the defense.

wags
05-26-2006, 04:40 PM

Wil Herring? The guy from Auburn. Seriously he is pathetic.

beerlover
05-26-2006, 06:22 PM

I expect Walters & Mathis to compete but I guess we'll have to wait and see how they look this year in Kubiak's system before any conclusions are drawn.

I just don't see the Texans playing as poorly as they did last year, so unless one of the elite WR's falls to us, like a Chad Jackson did for the Patriots to trade up, the depth at FS is good or CB ( I'm concerned about those positions more) not to mention hopefully the chance for the Texans to draft the finishing touches to a Championship Defense :mario:

Kaiser Toro
05-26-2006, 06:27 PM
I expect Walters & Mathis to compete but I guess we'll have to wait and see how they look this year in Kubiak's system before any conclusions are drawn.

I just don't see the Texans playing as poorly as they did last year, so unless one of the elite WR's falls to us, like a Chad Jackson did for the Patriots to trade up, the depth at FS is good or CB ( I'm concerned about those positions more) not to mention hopefully the chance for the Texans to draft the finishing touches to a Championship Defense :mario:

:mario: I cannot wait to watch our defense next year. :mario:

Second Honeymoon
05-26-2006, 08:16 PM
In professional sports players get paid to perform, not to sit. When you invest in someone in the NFL, which has a career expectancy of 4 years, you must get a return on investment immediately. The QB position, is one where a kid out of college should sit right away to learn the intricacies of the game. I just prefer for it not be on favorite team's dime.

Unless you are the Texans. If you are the Texans you keep making excuses for your failure until reality smacks you right in the face....which it did...and we STILL kept Carr. Why some people are still enamored with Carr I will never know. I guarantee you if he was black half these posters would be calling for his head, but reality is he is white and a good ole boy so everyone just keeps making excuses. Carr gets apologies made for him by the organization, media, fans, but for some reason I have never heard any teammates step up for him and back him up...that seems a bit fish and quite telling IMHO

oh well I am not a Carr backer and never have been since Day One and am just sick of having our franchise in a retarded state of development thanks to our sticking with Carr. When is enough enough? Do we need 0-16 (which we were really close to being) Will 1-15 be enough to admit that Carr sucks as a winning QB? Obviously 2-14 wasnt enough....when will enough be enough...the sad thing is that most Texans fans have such low expectations and are so deluded that as long as he beats the Cowboys again, they will probably be content to ride out another joke of a season. I know all of us arent that way but half the fans you hear from say really bright stuff like 'as long as we beat the Cowboys, I dont care what else happens'.....wtg thinking like that basically makes us the Baylor of the NFL where you celebrate meaningless wins v. Aggies with Commemorative DVDs and T-Shirts while the rest of your season goes up in smoke.

doug from the woodlands

PapaL
05-26-2006, 09:05 PM

I completly agree - well said. Better to spend money else where. :highfive:

Smokedawg
05-26-2006, 11:39 PM
Landry will not go top 10. He would have been lucky to go top 40 this year. He will be a first rounder though. Whitner, who went #8 is better. Simpson, who I feel is the second best FS drafted, went in the fourth because of attitude problems in his interview. That has nothing to do with his football ability. Lawson played DE last year, but he's playing OLB now. People can change positions for the NFL.

Are you on crack? Laron would have been gone in the first round this year easily. Look at his numbers he has better than any of the other safeties in the 2006 draft by far. He started as a true freshman and led the team in tackles as freshman. He has been the leader of tigers defense since hes been there. Watch a film of him he is all over the field. he is always around the ball. He has played both FS and SS. There is no flaw in he game.

YoungTexanFan
05-27-2006, 07:43 AM
Are you on crack? Laron would have been gone in the first round this year easily. Look at his numbers he has better than any of the other safeties in the 2006 draft by far. He started as a true freshman and led the team in tackles as freshman. He has been the leader of tigers defense since hes been there. Watch a film of him he is all over the field. he is always around the ball. He has played both FS and SS. There is no flaw in he game.

No, I am not on any durg paraphanalia. Numbers are fairly meaning less. You have to look at this as who needed him compared to the other players available. Whittner, Huff, Bullocks, and J Williams all would have gone ahead of him still.

real
05-27-2006, 10:32 AM
Unless you are the Texans. If you are the Texans you keep making excuses for your failure until reality smacks you right in the face....which it did...and we STILL kept Carr. Why some people are still enamored with Carr I will never know. I guarantee you if he was black half these posters would be calling for his head, but reality is he is white and a good ole boy so everyone just keeps making excuses. Carr gets apologies made for him by the organization, media, fans, but for some reason I have never heard any teammates step up for him and back him up...that seems a bit fish and quite telling IMHO

doug from the woodlands

You know what doug....I never thought about that, but you are absolutely right...IMO if carr was black he would have been gone...M.Vick has done Way more than Carr, and in my opinion is the better QB of the two...but yet people are so negative towards Vick when all he does is win....But at the same time, I do believe Carr deserves a chance just because of one thing....our coaches were so bad last yr. it was pathetic, and I don't know how any QB could fully develop in such a basisc system...But u were right on about the race thing, IMO.

Kaiser Toro
05-27-2006, 11:09 AM
You know what doug....I never thought about that, but you are absolutely right...IMO if carr was black he would have been gone...M.Vick has done Way more than Carr, and in my opinion is the better QB of the two...but yet people are so negative towards Vick when all he does is win....But at the same time, I do believe Carr deserves a chance just because of one thing....our coaches were so bad last yr. it was pathetic, and I don't know how any QB could fully develop in such a basisc system...But u were right on about the race thing, IMO.

I will be diasagreeing on the race card given that two different regimes had a referendum on Carr and decided to pay him a lot of money in both instances after, gulp, careful evaluations.

I am no Carr apologist, definitely not a racist and a fan of Vick but would not want him on my team. This was a football decision, one I do not agree with, but would be very careful in trying to hint at justifying my dislike via the race card.

swtbound07
05-27-2006, 12:41 PM

Stuff like that is exactly why I have doug on my ignore list. You are seriously going to tell me that our entire organization is racist, simply because they are choosing to keep carr? And the fans are racist because we aren't calling for his head? I will agree that Vick is better than Carr, but i think there are 30ish other nfl qb's better than carr. I suppose you think the organization is racist because they cut Tony Banks? This is a ridiculous point IMO. Why are people so quick to play the race card?

Second Honeymoon
05-27-2006, 01:37 PM
Stuff like that is exactly why I have doug on my ignore list. You are seriously going to tell me that our entire organization is racist, simply because they are choosing to keep carr? And the fans are racist because we aren't calling for his head? I will agree that Vick is better than Carr, but i think there are 30ish other nfl qb's better than carr. I suppose you think the organization is racist because they cut Tony Banks? This is a ridiculous point IMO. Why are people so quick to play the race card?

oh noes...i am on ignore...run for the hills

my point is that they have and still are cutting a lot of slack for Carr. I didnt say that they kept him because he is white, i said that if he was black he would not get as much slack from the organization, media, or fans. Thus with less slack he would have been gone and not renewed based on his production on the field. What has Carr shown anyone that brings this blind faith? He has had about 5-6 quarters of football that were of NFL Starter quality much less NFL Franchise QB quality. Not to mention most of that production was against KC, Vikes and Rams...teams not exactly known for their defensive acumen.

as for the argument that two different regimes have believed in him, I present this argument. Cass and Capes HAD to back Carr because he was their pick. Period. End of story. Kubiak HAD to back Carr because McNair wanted a coach that was willing to work with Carr and help him improve. If Kubes would have said that he felt we needed a new QB, I am not sure Kubes would be the coach.

McNair feels like most of Carr homers, in that he feels the instability at OL and the primitive Offensive Scheme hindered Carr's progress. Could yall be right? Sure you could, and I could be wrong. My thing is that I have watched every game and Carr does not have what it takes to be a Franchise NFL QB which is how he is being paid. Most of Carr's most productive players are dumping the ball off to Davis or throwing a screen pass to AJ. My thinking says that we could get just about anyone to do that. Banks has been a better QB for this team than Carr and that is just sad. But we backed up the Brinks truck to pay Carr for some reason and I feel its mostly due to a lack of admitting failure and ineptitude by both the regime and the QB himself.

I am hoping for the best but based on a 4 year body of work, I feel we shouldnt get our hopes to high. The guy cant read defenses, does not make the players around him better, has shown little leadership, and has been a LOSING QB. Just because the guy can throw a 60yd spiral on the run, doesnt make him a good NFL QB. All that does it show that he has the physical tools to throw deep. He shows very little touch on his passes and is pretty much the same QB he was in Year One. That does not bode well.

But people can call me a negative fan that has some sort of agenda against Carr. That is fine, but I called my shot last year and predicted 3-13 when everyone else was saying playoffs. I predicted that based on our talent at QB, CB, DL, and OL. We improved our depth at DL and OL over the last few years (at a huge price :mario: ) but still HUGE questions remain at QB and CB. HOpefully we can get something done this year and Carr proves me wrong...just dont hold your breath

doug from the woodlands
unabashed realist

sakebomb
05-27-2006, 03:31 PM
Can we at least get to freaking training camp before we start garbage threads like this.

YoungTexanFan
05-27-2006, 08:17 PM

O, and with a name like Smokedawg, one could easily question if YOU are the one on drugs.

HeartofHouston
05-28-2006, 01:50 AM
The way that i see it is put yourself in Carr's shoes... live his life for a full NFL Season/Off-Season...

Picture this.. You know how to play QB you know how to lead your team to a victory and YOU know what it takes but your Head Coach is not very good offensively, your Offensive Coordinator was a simpleton and your GM wasn't the sharpest knife in the draw either. And as if that didnt suck enough guess what?? The Big Hogs that are supposed to be protecting you... AREN'T PROTECTING YOU!!! By the way your #1 RB keeps getting hurt.. Oh wait and the grand finale.. Your Recievers are droppin passes (cough*Bradford*cough).

Now put into a situation like that how well do you think that you will perform?? Do you think that you will pull a Peyton Manning and put up 4000+ yards and 45+ TDS?? If you think that you can then you need to put the drugs away and snap out of it..

This aint a race card thing and this aint a making up excuses thing.. this is a facts thing.. His coaches were horrible, his line was horrible and the offensive system was horrible. Every football fan knows that. Name a QB that led his team to greatness with Not Much Talent Around Him, A Injury Prone RB and a Horrible Head Coach... Go ahead...

What I'm saying is that before we right Carr off as this total bust.. we need to see what he can do with a REAL coach. Gary Kubiak is a Shanahan disciple, so we all expect major things from his and what he brings to the table.. Now if Carr performs the way he has in the past and we dont see a different offense then I dont have anything against getting rid of Carr.

Like I said in a earlier post Brian Brohm and Brady Quinn we'll be declaring next year so we could take a stab at one of them if Carr is not catching on but as of the right now.. Preseason hasnt even started and this "Fire Carr" thread has already started.. Give this guy a shot with a little bit better o-line, a great recieving duo, a strong running system and a good head coach and he flops this season then Blast on Carr all you want.

El Tejano
05-30-2006, 09:33 AM
I think we can make a better distinction after this year. The two will be in the same type of offense, the West Coast offense which Carr says is pretty much what he played in college. Carr has been second to him in rushing though.

El Tejano
05-30-2006, 09:35 AM
So noone thinks Samerdizja would be a good pick?

real
05-30-2006, 09:41 AM
I think we can make a better distinction after this year. The two will be in the same type of offense, the West Coast offense which Carr says is pretty much what he played in college. Carr has been second to him in rushing though.

and passing, and winning....

rmartin65
05-30-2006, 03:02 PM
So noone thinks Samerdizja would be a good pick?
He would be good. We picked up Moulds and Walter so maybe not.

El Tejano
05-30-2006, 05:24 PM
and passing, and winning....
No seriously. Second meaning out of all the other QBs, he has been second in rushing. The difference is Carr has been running for his life as to where Vick just runs.

swtbound07
05-30-2006, 05:29 PM
Compare David Carr to mike vick AFTER he has a .500 season or the texans smell the playoffs....the difference between vick and carr is that Vick is good.

real
05-30-2006, 05:36 PM
No seriously. Second meaning out of all the other QBs, he has been second in rushing. The difference is Carr has been running for his life as to where Vick just runs.

I know what you meant....I was just noting that thats not the only category Carr comes in second tier or lower:twocents: ...

hollywood_texan
05-30-2006, 09:02 PM
The way that i see it is put yourself in Carr's shoes... live his life for a full NFL Season/Off-Season...

Picture this.. You know how to play QB you know how to lead your team to a victory and YOU know what it takes but your Head Coach is not very good offensively, your Offensive Coordinator was a simpleton and your GM wasn't the sharpest knife in the draw either. And as if that didnt suck enough guess what?? The Big Hogs that are supposed to be protecting you... AREN'T PROTECTING YOU!!! By the way your #1 RB keeps getting hurt.. Oh wait and the grand finale.. Your Recievers are droppin passes (cough*Bradford*cough).

Now put into a situation like that how well do you think that you will perform?? Do you think that you will pull a Peyton Manning and put up 4000+ yards and 45+ TDS?? If you think that you can then you need to put the drugs away and snap out of it..

This aint a race card thing and this aint a making up excuses thing.. this is a facts thing.. His coaches were horrible, his line was horrible and the offensive system was horrible. Every football fan knows that. Name a QB that led his team to greatness with Not Much Talent Around Him, A Injury Prone RB and a Horrible Head Coach... Go ahead...

What I'm saying is that before we right Carr off as this total bust.. we need to see what he can do with a REAL coach. Gary Kubiak is a Shanahan disciple, so we all expect major things from his and what he brings to the table.. Now if Carr performs the way he has in the past and we dont see a different offense then I dont have anything against getting rid of Carr.

Like I said in a earlier post Brian Brohm and Brady Quinn we'll be declaring next year so we could take a stab at one of them if Carr is not catching on but as of the right now.. Preseason hasnt even started and this "Fire Carr" thread has already started.. Give this guy a shot with a little bit better o-line, a great recieving duo, a strong running system and a good head coach and he flops this season then Blast on Carr all you want.

If Casserly and the entire Capers staff was so inept, were they just lucky in picking Carr because you basically say they got everything else wrong.

Also, you seem to blame the line categorically as for Carr's sack problems. Remember this, the offensive line doesn't call the plays, actually they are told what to do. The offensive line doesn't read the defensive secondary, buy the time to make a pass or throw it away, run routes, and/or catch the football. All of those elements are completely out of their control, and depending how good those elements are executed, their jobs are made either easier or harder. My main question is, does Carr make his teammates better? I don't think so because I haven't seen it.

As for waiting on Carr to see if he is bust is a gamble too. We were sitting at #1 this year with an opportunity to take a franchise quarterback, which doesn't happen very often. Sure you can #1 one year, but that quarterback needs to be available. For example, last year Alex Smith was picked #1, geezzzz. I'm glad we weren't stuck with that pick.

Everyone on the offense, defense, special teams, and probably the guy washing the jocks, needs to step up this year and show they are worth it. Carr has a lot to prove and has a lot work to do, which is evident because of the time is spending this off season, as well as everyone else. It seems Carr's has more work to do with Kubiak than just learning the system.

The worst case scenario I see is that Carr is mediocre but still keeps his job because there is no one else available to replace him. Let's face it, beyond the top 5 or 6 quarterbacks, these guys are kind of all the same and you can't pin your hopes on them. These guys can probably be interchangeable to an extent you have a good system and they fit that system at some point.

However, if our defense is strong enough and the running game can improve on what has been in the past, maybe we don't have to really rely on Carr to win games as much as not to lose them. Similar to another Fresno State quarterback with a Super Bowl ring, Trent Dilfer. Also, think of Brad Johnson and even Big Ben.

RotorTrash007
12-17-2006, 04:54 PM
I know it's a little pre-mature for this topic to even be posted but I'm bored and I was just curious and what you guys think..

Okay 2007 Draft who do you see us going after with our 1st Round Pick??

Me personally i have a couple of situational picks...

-----
1 - Lets just say that david Carr doesnt pan out well in this offense or for some reason just cant pick it up.. then likely we'll have a top 10 pick.

We should be taking a long look at Brady Quinn (Notre Dame) or Brian Brohm (Louisville).. If David Carr is struggling or is not picking up the offense using the high first rounder on one of these guys will let Carr know that either: "You Get With The Program or You're Outta Here" and it could either ignite a fire under Carr that gives him a Drew Brees "resurrection" season...

or it could eat away at him and if that's the case we have our QB of the future that was been learning the system and coming along slowly ready to get into the starting lineup and David Carr is now trade bait and I know for sure that we can get something on the first day for a very tough smart QB David Carr.
-----
2 - If things turn out a little better and it's not Carr's Fault let's just say that it was the defense that just wasnt coming along for whatever reason. We end up with a middle to late 1st round pick.. Then we have a few options..

S LaRon Landry (LSU) or CB Leon Hall (Mich) or S Brandon Merriweather (The U) or CB Daymeion Hughes (Cal) any of these guys could be a upgrade over our DBs (minus D-Rob). Landry is back for his senior year.. he was already considered the best safety last year, now imagine if he stays healthy he could end up being better this year. Leon Hall was crowned by Michigan coaches as the best Defensive Player since Charles Woodson left the program.

Our 2nd Cornerback position is looking a little iffy and we could bring one of these guys in and have them fight it out with Faggins or McKenzie for the spot. At the Safety position Glenn Earl has been solid for us so the SS is not a need so we go to FS where Merriwheather has been an absolute monster since Sean Taylor left the position.
---

3 - Lets just say for some reason the running game is just not adding up for some reason (which is highly unlikely- "come on it's Coack Kube's system) or let's say that DD cant stay healthy again but we end up in the middle to lower half of the first round.. because of good Qb and good defense..

Micheal Bush (Louisville), Marshawn Lynch (Cal) and Antonio Pittman (OSU - Jr) could possibly fall to the middle-late first. Bush is an absolute Monster at 6'3 248lbs and runs a 4.53 this guy could absolutely punish LB and DBs when they come in for the tackle. Bush hits the hole with authority. Lynch is a not as big but he is smart and instinctive. Antonio Pittman is FAST... he doesnt do a lot of dancing he just gets the ball and runs right pass people.
---

4 - Finally lets say that everything turns out well we end up with the bottom quarter of the first round.. we could trade out of the first and pick up and extra 2nd and 3rd.

2 - OT Gosder Cherilus (BC), CB Fred Bennett (SCSU)
3 - HB Tyrone Moss (The U) and BPA

We could possibly still add starters and add depth by doing this in the up and coming draft..

-------

Once again I know this is pre-mature. But just for laughs and giggles and to keep our eyes open on the up and coming talent.. what do you guys think?.. who would you like to see as a Texan??

wy brady Q... why not 6f 6 Jarmarcus Russel from LSU if he declares himself for the draft... Im scared that Brady will be another Carr.

Texas_Thrill
12-17-2006, 05:30 PM
wy brady Q... why not 6f 6 Jarmarcus Russel from LSU if he declares himself for the draft... Im scared that Brady will be another Carr.

i DEFINITELY agree with you there. i'd like to see a QB that gets the crowd excited. some damn emotions.

threetoedpete
12-17-2006, 10:26 PM
Who floated this turd back to the top of the bowl ?

Ole Miss Texan
12-18-2006, 12:20 AM
Who floated this turd back to the top of the bowl ?

hahaha nice.

just saw this on www.nfldraftcountdown.com

It's about underclassmen that declared for the draft.

Rory Johnson LB Ole Miss JR
Dwayne Wright RB Fresno St. JR

What do y'all think about them...mainly wright because I don't know much of him but that a lot of people like him.

Rory Johnson is a great outside linebacker. I only know because I go to ole miss and watch patrick willis every play. half the time i'm like yea way to go pwillie but see its #48 rory johnson.

He is listed at #15 on their olb ranking. http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/olb.html

maybe they don't think too highly...could be a real steal.

what about wright?

kastofsna
12-18-2006, 09:00 AM
i DEFINITELY agree with you there. i'd like to see a QB that gets the crowd excited. some damn emotions.
i'd like to see a quarterback that's good, but that's just me.

kastofsna
12-18-2006, 09:07 AM
troysmith
high five!