PDA

View Full Version : Stupidity or defending your team mate?

Meloy
05-25-2006, 04:16 PM
Expanding on a thought I picked up on another thread. Situation, somebody really goes across the line and bops our player out of bounds, or fingers through the mask into the eyes, stomps a hand,etc. Should Texans retaliate in defense of their team mate even if the penalty really hurts the Texans? We've seen this recently in other sports too. I am leaning to the defend my guy, but do not want to hurt the chances of a win either. Your opinion?

Brandon420tx
05-25-2006, 04:17 PM
I would say, get revenge, when the defense takes the field, maybe a blindside hit to WR who isn't getting the ball, send a message, but then again. I am a jerk.:brickwall

:boxing: :ninja: :taz:

Vinny
05-25-2006, 04:18 PM
It's almost a street thing...you don't want to let your people get bullied...so you fight back. I know I'd draw some flags, but I'm wired like that.

real
05-25-2006, 04:18 PM
a Win will hurt the other team more...and why retaliate at that moment...when you can crush the guy legally during a play...

Bamaborn-Texasbred
05-25-2006, 04:20 PM
Yeah, I'm a big fan of waiting until later in the game. Take it out on someone else when the referee is looking the other way.

Meloy
05-25-2006, 04:26 PM
In baseball, when a pitcher intentionally hits a player, I want the next guy up to let the bat fly right at the pitcher. Whoops, my hands were a mite slippery. Get the message?

El Tejano
05-25-2006, 04:34 PM
You can have the designated "don't get a flag" guy.

You see your teammate get uneccesarry roughed. You then retaliate, but right before you do you get pulled back by another teammate who says "Don't get a flag!!!"

LORK 88
05-25-2006, 04:41 PM
a Win will hurt the other team more...and why retaliate at that moment...when you can crush the guy legally during a play...

exactly, hit'em where it hurts the most . . . on the scoreboard

Meloy
05-25-2006, 04:46 PM
exactly, hit'em where it hurts the most . . . on the scoreboard Does this change if you are way ahead or way behind in the score?

Double Barrel
05-25-2006, 04:52 PM
It's a fine line, and depends on the situation.

For instance, in a really close game, I'd say that players need to have self-control in order to avoid any really costly penalties. There will always be another game, and these dudes have long memories.

On the other hand, if the game is a blowout either way, then by all means, jack him up and teach a lesson.

Unless, of course, it's a really flagrant foul. If the refs are blind, then justice should be served accordingly.

real
05-25-2006, 04:53 PM
Does this change if you are way ahead or way behind in the score?
I was always taught to take care of it in between the whistles...so.... no

LORK 88
05-25-2006, 05:08 PM
Does this change if you are way ahead or way behind in the score?

I say no. You know what they did, they do as well, and probably everyone who was watching the game as well. Id rather keep my head held high with respect for myself and my team rather than bring myself down to their level.

trane
05-25-2006, 05:17 PM
Expanding on a thought I picked up on another thread. Situation, somebody really goes across the line and bops our player out of bounds, or fingers through the mask into the eyes, stomps a hand,etc. Should Texans retaliate in defense of their team mate even if the penalty really hurts the Texans? We've seen this recently in other sports too. I am leaning to the defend my guy, but do not want to hurt the chances of a win either. Your opinion?

I thinking defending your teammate is acceptible...penalty or not. So long as it is in the heat of the moment and you don't totally lose your cool like Kyle Turley or Bill Romanowski. Some pushing and shoving is enough to make your point. For example, I love to see an offensive lineman defend his QB. I find that acceptable. However, if you are talking about doing what they do in baseball where you hit each other's players with a pitch. That is unneccessary.

Meloy
05-25-2006, 05:21 PM
I say no. You know what they did, they do as well, and probably everyone who was watching the game as well. Id rather keep my head held high with respect for myself and my team rather than bring myself down to their level.Man, I really want to agree with you, but...I think it is sort of like dealing with a bully...sometimes, you just have to light them up. In the Marines, after pt training, usually 3-4 of us would go to gym for a pick up BB game. Now most of us were not much good but loved to play. One game we're getting slaughtered and this one guy kept elbowing my noggin until I looked like a many horned rhino. He was at least 6 inches taller and 40 pounds heavier than me. I gave my 'mates a heads up & next time down the court, as he went up for a jump shot and the left elbow came down, I remained feet on court and delivered a fist to his ahem..jewels. His team mates snickered and made comments like "that boy got even." I waited for him to get up and kick the dog.. out of me. He grumbled and allowed himself to be lead off court. We left the gym immediately.

bigbrewster2000
05-25-2006, 05:21 PM
I thinking defending your teammate is acceptible...penalty or not. So long as it is in the heat of the moment and you don't totally lose your cool like Kyle Turley or Bill Romanowski. Some pushing and shoving is enough to make your point. For example, I love to see an offensive lineman defend his QB. I find that acceptable. However, if you are talking about doing what they do in baseball where you hit each other's players with a pitch. That is unneccessary.

Wait for a quarter (if you can) rhen let someone have it when it is least expected after all that is kind of how it likely happened to you right?:redtowel:

GP
05-25-2006, 05:24 PM
????????????????????????????????????

hollywood_texan
05-25-2006, 05:32 PM
I think it depends on if the officials have control of the game.

IMO if the officials can't handle it or call it, you gotta take care of your teammates. They are going to have to pay for it, just give the officials first crack to take care of it, otherwise it is going to keep on occurring.

mexican_texan
05-25-2006, 07:38 PM
Be the bigger man and turn the other cheek. Get a whole bunch of players to go up to the player and offer a hug. Mind games, eh?

TexanFan881
05-25-2006, 08:08 PM
Yeah, I'm a big fan of waiting until later in the game. Take it out on someone else when the referee is looking the other way.

That's the way you do it. That way nobody knows it was for earlier in the game. That way you hopefully don't get ejected and/or suspended like you probably would if you retaliated right away.

Brandon420tx
05-25-2006, 08:18 PM
Be the bigger man and turn the other cheek. Get a whole bunch of players to go up to the player and offer a hug. Mind games, eh?
lol:

edo783
05-25-2006, 08:59 PM
Depends on what the intent was. Is it just a push type thing or are they trying to put your guy down. If it is a dirty put down type thing, then you come to your guys defense. If it was just one of those heat of the battle pushing type things, then just walk away especialy if it's a close, tight game as they are likely trying to draw the flag. But IMO, you never, ever let your guy get abused...ever.

Wharton
05-25-2006, 09:43 PM
Getting another player into penalty trouble is just another part of the metal play during a football game. If you get a penalty for taking out revenge or retaliating on another player, then you are the mentally weaker player and have just completed the opposing players rouse. There is plenty of opportunity to get a little revenge during a football game. I see no reason to ever get a penalty for it.

In my younger days, I played club rugby. After getting my hair pulled in a scrum, my mates bloodied the opposing player’s nose at the bottom of the ruck later in the game. Basically, what goes around comes around.

done88
05-25-2006, 11:03 PM
Always defend your team mate. Don't take it too far but make sure you defend your team mate. You have to trust your teammates in order to be successful in this league. One of the best ways to build that trust is to defend him. Even if it costs the team in the short term. The long term benifits will be well worth it.

Kaiser Toro
05-26-2006, 09:49 AM
We lost the chance to advance in the NCAA tourney due to a retaliation within the game. I was named captain the following year and instituted that we would take care of any extra curriculars as soon as the game was over, on the floor. Our mantra was, "we will take care of it after the game." Never took it to the next level as the waiting most often let the emotions subside.